Stantec

Stantec Employee Reviews

United States348 reviews

projectengineerengineeringacquisitionlargefirmconsultoffice

Productive place.

It was hard to balance this job with school. I learned Microstation here at Stantec. I also learned more about floor plans. I also got involved with projects associated with Pepco.

coworkers best part of the job

50 hour plus work days, lots of traveling, plenty of billable hours, and a variety of jobs. not everyones cup of tea. managers are great, upper management not so much.

Stantec insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Depends

Your employee experience will depend on the business unit and group you are in. Some are great, some are less so. Find the right people and youre good

Good place

It’s a good place to work but not a lot of opportunity for career growth in Chicago office. Great people though. It depends on what you’re looking for

What is the best part of working at the company?The various projects were good learning opportunitiesWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?The company is too WOKE. Way too political.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Environment is oppressive and secretiveWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Just working for 8 hours and keeping my head down trying not to engage with anyone

Fantastic company with many opportunities for advancement

I love working at Stantec. It’s truly a great company with amazing, smart people who are also very down to earth. On my time here, people have reached out to me about my interests and helped guide my career path. I feel valued and know I will succeed.

Pros

Opportunities, great work

Cons

Medical benefits

A bunch of small companies living under a big name

Stantec is basically a bunch of smaller companies that go by a big brand, every office has a different feel. Work is enjoyable and the people are all night, management is very, very helpful.

Amazing resources and plenty of work.

A lot of resources, not competitive pay, a lot of processes, seems like a slow growth. My unit was definitely over worked and under deep staffed. The key people in the water business have moved to other companies.

Bad work culture

Bad work culture. All they care about is utilization rate. Literally! Stay away from landscape architecture team specifically. You will hit the ceiling soon in terms of learning opportunities.

Okay

I liked the position at first, but management was not understanding when I faced personal issues. Communication was okay but the manager retracted his offer to become a full time employee once he discovered I was sick and requested time off.

Overall good company with a nice variety of projects

Overall good place to work, average work/life balance due to amount of work, possibility to work on large projects, good job security, nice colleagues and company values

Large company. Many opportunities.

More of a number than employee. Large company. But great chances for advancement. Individual with a technical background and business expertise will be highly recruited.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Good work- life balanceSupporting colleguesGreat ManagementGreat work cultureAtmosphere suitable for learning and growingGreat Benefits and Leave structure

Great company with good opportunities to grow

Huge company that truly cares about it's people and makes an honest attempt to encourage diversity and inclusion. Good place to start your career and continue to grow. You get what you ask for - they encourage employees to ask for more and do give them more. Management makes every effort to connect to employees and make them feel valued. Lots of red tape as it is to be expected at any large company.

Pros

Opportunities for growth and professional development, bonus is fairly decent

Cons

Health Insurance is pretty expensive, less PTO

Great staff, not sure all the acquisitions are a fit.

Fast growing company with tons going on. Lots of outstanding staff that are genuinely courteous, friendly, and professional. Benefits are average at best and the firm seems to want to grow fast without much clear direction.

Lower Stress and Job Security - Not Much Else

I moved to Stantec from another large company and found it to be far easier to deal with day to day work but eventually got painfully bored. Management either cares too much or not at all. Utilization is a huge deal at the start and then a joke at the end. I love the people I work with and there is great mentorship when you need it but don't expect too much advancement.

Pros

Mentorship, easy going, vast company and locations, support for learning

Cons

Management is all over the place, not much advancement, boring projects

Amazing coworkers and life/ work balance

Amazing office environment, flexibility and work life balance. Bonuses are low. Con: bonuses are low , they want people back at the office, not remotely so that is a disadvantageRaises are either 3% or zeroIt is hard to get a raise.Management is very supportive and flexible, no complains there.

Fun workplace

Stantec is a nice company to work for. People are nice and helpful. There are different clients and projects to work on. Management is good and tries to help employees achieve their career goals. The other thing I love about Stantec is they allow you to work from home 100%. Benefits are average, like other companies. The only drawback is that the pay is not good. Especially in bay area that companies pay a lot, you can easily work somewhere else and get 60%-70% more.

Stantec

Stantec is a large company that has grown from various mergers. The mergers are not well integrated into the Stantec business culture. Stantec prefers to grow by acquisition making it challenging for someone who is working in business development. 22% of project revenue is identified as the StanTax. Meaning 22% of any given projects goes to fund corporate HQ in Edmonton. Hitting margin goals are quite difficult due to lack of clear vision from management, senior staffing billing rates and a lack of willingness to hire staff. Many times our bids were the most expensive out of all of our competitors due to upper management demanding gross margin profits that are not realistic to the market.I was very disappointed working at Stantec. Lack of vision with leadership. Sr. leaders do not seem to have autonomy to make business decisions. I had 3 reporting managers in 3 years. I would also disagree with anyone who says Stantec is an inclusive company. They are great buzz words to promote. I do not believe there is enough staff development training for managers.

Pros

benefits were good

Cons

Ruling from Canada to make business decisions in the U.S

It is a large company, and that brings a ton of benefits.

Work from home changed everything. A lot of people quit and went to find better jobs. A lot did. Pay was not going up even with the cost of living skyrocketing.

Pros

Not many, there are opportunities, but a lot look outside the company for them.

Hard work but great coworkers

Long, hot days. You have to be willing to be flexible about scheduling, many things aren’t determined until the day before due to potential weather issues. I got along well with all my coworkers but there seemed to be a clear disconnect between management/project managers and the field employees.

Pros

Well paid, good coworkers

Cons

Long days, physically taxing, difficult to plan around the schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stantec. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Stantec with

• Stantec
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?