Staples Employee Reviews

Found 7,854 reviews matching the search See all 9,061 reviews
Good organizational skills obtained
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 14, 2018
Overall good place to work until they started having money problems due to competition from on-line stories. Then they found reasons to encourage long time employees to leave in order to save money.
print and marketing
Print and Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 14, 2018
pros: awesome dedicated co workers, we were like family and looked after one anther when we needed a shift covered etc. i loved my job and i am very good at multi tasking and dealing with irate customers. you have to have a strong mind for this position because at times it can get overwhelming. also its good to have the skill of working in a high paced high volume work environment. me having strong patience made it easy for me. but overall having a graphic design background made it easy and fun for designing.

cons:
delayed lunches or none at all
some of the machines tended to be older and didn't function properly at times.
long days, orders can tend to get backed up if a machine is not working properly.
customers can have super bad attitudes even if you did nothing wrong
not all managers are super understanding as to the time and efforts it takes to run a print shop.
no commission anymore
met all sales goals but underpaid workers
no benefits
Pros
read review
Cons
read review
Do not work here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Quakertown, PAAugust 14, 2018
the staples in quakertown is poorly managed and understaffed. They have people who have worked there for 20+ years who have only gotten 1 dollar raises. The management does not follow protocol when it comes to breaks and scheduled time off. They will throw you into circumstances unfit for your particular training and penalize you if you don't excel. don't bother wasting your time looking for upward mobility in any position.
Cons
poor management and low pay
Staples
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLAugust 14, 2018
Working at Staples was fun but a bit stressful. I think they could improve their hours, benefits, and options. I wanted more hours and to move to a different department but it did not work out.
Pros
Fun
Cons
lack of hours and department options
A Productive and Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 13, 2018
Working at Staples was a great experience for my first retail job. Every day I was learning something new about the business and the skills to help customers and drive sales.
Pros
Helpful Management, Friendly Coworkers, Goal Oriented
Cons
Few work hours, little room for career advancement
Scheduling is great
Certified Tech (Current Employee) –  Pharr, TXAugust 13, 2018
Its a great place to learn how to work in retail. The difficult part is getting customer to bring in their computer for fixing. management is grade a
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Improvement
My First Job
Office Supplies Associate (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAAugust 13, 2018
Staples was my first job during high school, and I honestly wish I started somewhere else. The management staff were more than a little hostile, and the hours and pay were pathetic in hindsight.
Pros
Relatively easy
Cons
This was a fun workplace.
Part time retail (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 13, 2018
I worked as a part time Cashier. My job was to maintain stock around the registers, assist customers as they entered and left the store, as well as check out at the register.

I learned about office supply business.

The management was very good and responsive to employees.

There was nothing difficult about the job I had.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and serving the general public.
Pros
Considerate managements personnel
Cons
Some backstabbing by other people who wanted to excel in their job.
Staples
Copy and Print Associate, part time (Former Employee) –  Delavan, WIAugust 12, 2018
I worked at the Staples in Delavan. I enjoyed the people I worked with, and the team spirit and camaraderie. I worked in the copy and print center, and enjoyed it very much.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
low pay
filled with work but flexible
Tech Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDAugust 11, 2018
I would come in a work on making sure the truck shipment is unloaded. Making sure that sales number are on track. Organizing the Tech floor and also over looking other parts of the store.
Typical day
Copy Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 10, 2018
Busy all day with no shortage of work to do. The work is not overly hard but you do have to have commit to it and enjoy it. Which I do
but new store does not have good management.
Loved working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILAugust 10, 2018
Learned a lot about how to work with the public and to provide customer service to people that were in need of specific items. Cash register experience, stock experience.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Short breakd
It's just what you would expect from an office supply store.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 9, 2018
The checkout system is the slowest I have ever used, but it's okay because an office supply stare is rarely "slammed." The environment is relaxed and reliable.
Pros
Calm work environment
Cons
Slow
It is a fun work place
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Sedona, AZAugust 9, 2018
It was a good work place to be in and I liked working there. It was slow paced and the boss was helpful in certain tasks. Flexible hours and schedule.
Not Very Great
Certified Tech Associate (Current Employee) –  South Plainfield, NJ 07080August 9, 2018
Staples is a dying company to begin with, so its no surprise how badly they treat their workers. People get fired for not selling protection plans often. People are all underpaid, overworked, or get no hours at all. They just push to sell, and even if you are the best at customer service, you probably wont advance. I know people who have been working there 15+ years and barely have benefits, and are still just a normal cashier. If you wanna work retail, I recommend trying somewhere else.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Everythings Still Expensive, No Paid Days Off, No Sick Days
Always pressured daily on sales metrics
Tech Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hixson, TNAugust 9, 2018
The company itself has become outdated and is slowly dying off. They put pressure on the management and associates by pushing metrics. Wanting a amount of Liquid Armors, credit card applications, reward signups, sales of PCs with a certain amount of attachments, and surveys being done.
Pros
Always busy
Cons
Pressure daily by the corporate office
lost their way
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, MAAugust 9, 2018
A very good company that spent too much time, effort and money chasing a merger that never happened. Good people left. Company lost their focus and identity.
fun working environment
Assistant Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Crossville, TNAugust 8, 2018
Staples is a fun working environment that offers many unique challenges that range from fixing computers to creating copy and print designs. I really enjoy the people that I worked with as well as the working environment.
Pros
discounts, fun work environment
Cons
working nights, weekends and holidays
Great Personnel and Management Teams
Print & Marketing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAAugust 8, 2018
I've been working with Staples for about 5 years in the Print & Marketing department and I really like working for this company and has always been there for me as a Staples employee.
Bad
Cashier, Easy Tech, Copy and Print Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newton, NJAugust 8, 2018
I started working for staples and it was okay. They were very customer oriented. We were supposed to help the customer and involve ourselves with the customers. But after I worked there for about a year the whole company changed. They got rid of almost all the full time positions so the laid many people off. The only full time positions left were for management or the inventory specialist. Most other people did not work more than 20 hours a week. And if you got 20 hours a week you were very lucky. They expected you to meet unrealistic goals especially given the hours we worked. And because they cut down on hours and staff the customer experience really suffered. When I started you would have 2-3 people at the easy tech counter 2-3 people in the print area and 1-2 people on the floor and 2 cashiers. They cut it down to 1 person at the easy tech bench. 1 person at the copy center. No one on the floor besides the inventory specialist who was always busy running all over. And 1 cashier. It is very hard to help customers on the floor when there are so few people. The company is clearly not doing well as they have had to close several stores. I would discourage anyone from working here unless you have no other options. The company does not care about you and will treat you poorly.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K
42.8K
32.4K

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

43%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

43%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss