Staples Employee Reviews

Found 8,289 reviews matching the search See all 9,546 reviews
Overworked and underpaid
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 9, 2018
I was hired as a sales associate but I ended up having to pretty much learn how to do everything. That may not be the case if you are in a large store, but if you are in a small or mid-size store you better believe they will work you to death. Oh and unless you're applying for a management/lead position, you will be part-time. The hourly wage was low and not consistent with the amount of work I had to do. My manager wasn't horrible but there was a lot of micromanaging going on. Oh and they expect you to sell their protection plans and liquid armor that NO ONE wants to buy since it is actually a complete rip off. But they'll still force you to push it on customers when they buy high ticket items. You have a weekly quota for rewards cards and ESP as they call it. And no you don't get commission for selling it, just a nice pat on the back. The only benefit was the weekly pay.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
15 minute break, lack of training provided for new hires, low wages
Staples
Print & Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  mnahattanDecember 9, 2018
The team I worked with was excellent. There was strong team bonding and a strong sense of passion. However, you never left on time. 8 hours became 12 quickly... when you got home the text and phones calls wouldn't stop. I loved working at Staples, but its hard to have a family with this type of employment
A lot to learn
Production Lead (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, NJDecember 9, 2018
Within the Print and marketing area of Staples there is so much to do and learn. All of the new skills i acquired were a great stepping stone for me to move on with.
fast pace
Wave stocker (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 9, 2018
i enjoyed my job it was a challenge everyday and i enjoyed it , i love working there, the work was easy, filling orders for customers every day its fun
Pros
45 min lunch
Cons
to me no cons
fun coworkers
Staples associate (Current Employee) –  La Habra, CADecember 9, 2018
I'll describe my day at work today:

Today I came in at 11am and it was a load day. I clock in and immediately go to the back of the warehouse and start to unload the stock onto "u-boats" which transport the load onto the floor. Lately it has been hard to get a scanner in case we get new product because one went missing. one isn't syncing to the work WiFi, the third doesn't scan product, only their homes. and the fourth works perfectly fine. Since I was a mid shift employee i'm usually alone and get called all around the store to help other associates in different departments as well as handle online orders, backup for cashier, and lastly help customers with carry outs. I have learned how to deal with difficult customers and how to handle the phones. I also learned how to package and ship items form the store and sell product. The management all have different personalities. The boss is never there, his second is a slave driver, the third gets yelled at by the other two, and the supervisor is easy going. They all have things that make them mad and over time I learned what to do in scenarios in case they aren't in the best mood that day. The Coworkers I have are what drive me going, their comedy and us just being friends makes going to work fun and inviting plus time goes by when were having a good time while working. The hardest part of the job would be satisfying the managers. Customers are easy, but when the boss demands something to get done you better respond fast and execute. Most enjoyable part like I said would be the coworkers and the family we built together.
Pros
work with availability, understandable about sick or call outs
Cons
schedule changes weekly
Extremely great environment & amazing employees
Print & Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 8, 2018
Within the two years i have worked at staples i have meet some amazing managers. Our store is nothing family based place, and we thrive at making customers happy and provided a happy environment
Poor work environment, unorganized
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDDecember 8, 2018
It is an overly stressful and toxic environment and they do not care about the employees. The staff and management are constantly changing because no one wants to stay. You deal with bullying and harassment but it's mainly by management so you feel like you can't say anything. It's hard to learn anything new and the problems of the store follow you home.
Pros
average pay, easy job.
Cons
poor managment, no room for growth
Poor compensation, arbitrary sales goals
HelpDesk/Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Meadville, PADecember 6, 2018
Staples does not value employees. They would pay you less if they could find people to take it, even Walmart pays more and expects you to know less.

That said you will see a lot of malware, smartphone issues, and dying hardware showing symptoms. This can be good experience for work in IT, but it is not your job to fix problems, it is your job to sell Liquid Armor (snake oil screen protector), More Accounts (credit cards), and Squaretrade (warranties that cost less online and at other retailers).
One of the worst jobs I have ever had.
Easy Tech Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 6, 2018
I was hired to be the lead of the Easy Tech department, meaning that I would have all the training of the Easy Tech staff, including diagnostics and repairs for electronics, a key to the locked room where we kept high priced items, and delegation of my staff underneath me. Of those examples, the only one I was ever given was delegation. The other options promised to me at the interview were then dismissed as "not necessary" even when there were days I was the only tech in the store with multiple computers needing to be worked on. This company does not understand management.
Cons
Poor managment
pushed those goals till I broke
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  South Elgin, ILDecember 5, 2018
They don't really care about you as a human, only the numbers you get them. High stress, high turn over in this location as well. I also noticed that very few females work there, I wonder if they left due to the same pressure put on them..
Can get better there.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJDecember 5, 2018
The company needs a lot of work. From management to the workers. The building could be a lot cleaner. For all the work that’s done break could be longer.
Supervising
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJDecember 5, 2018
Being a supervisor at Staples is veey stressful. All of the responsibility that is put in place is a lot. The managers did not make anything easy either.
It was okay
Tech Services (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 4, 2018
It really wasn't anything special, the managers were very nice but I was not able to work as many hours as I would have liked, in general the hours were not fair, there was also no way to move up at all.
Good Place
Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora ColoradoDecember 4, 2018
Good place to work excellent training. Managers assist when needed.
Raises are not the best

As in every companies there are good managers and bad ones. No company is perfect. The pay is not the best but is is a nice place to work
Pros
Good training
Cons
favored people get promoted
Productive People Need Apply
Print and Marketing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILDecember 3, 2018
Multi tasking abilities is a plus for this work. A typical day is consulting with customers on printed products, and other business services such as shipping, scanning, faxing etc. Work is fulfilling especially if you enjoy interacting with clients. You also assist in creating marketing pieces. Downfall was the management did not ask those who work the front line enough about what the customer's needs were and what customers were experiencing in their stores.
constant harrasment
Mobility & Tech Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Naples, FL 34119December 3, 2018
Staples management is more concerned with, forcing the customer to purchase Liquid armor, Square trade, and getting a staples credit card, then actually helping the customer. They constantly harass employees to push these products, to the point that you get sick of hearing these words.
Pros
once a month, free lunch
Cons
Daily Never-ending Harassment about selling Liquid Armor, staples credit-card, and SquareTrade.
Amazing people and awesome company
Print and Marketing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIDecember 3, 2018
Working for Staples was amazing. I started my position unsure of myself and my abilities and was quickly encouraged and learned how to do the things needed to run a successful print and marketing department.
Don’t work here, people get fired constantly!
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buford, GADecember 2, 2018
The managers make it hard on employees to take the time they need off. Considering most employees are part time and no overtime is allowed now, it was difficult to see how cut throat the environment was on the employees who had other life matters occurring. Luckily for me, I was there long enough to be able to balance my work life with everything else, but the pressure was on as I was reminded on a daily basis I was lucky to still have the job and shouldn’t ask for time off when everyone else was too. Because of this stressor, it was an easy decision to do what wa sbest for my overall career and leave that harsh environment.
just ok
Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  NJDecember 2, 2018
work a lot and others that are basically newbies get promoted. Lots of turnover. Some managers are great while others should never be managers. Making friends best part of job.
Pros
friends and having insurance
Cons
pay
It was a very exciting new role to me
Easy Tech Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Crossville, TNDecember 1, 2018
I enjoyed the new challenge of balancing employees with daily tasks. I learned a lot about computers, a side of sales I never really knew before hand. Overall it was a great experience.
Pros
Never got bored.
Cons
Very quick learning curve.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.

52.4K
43K
32.5K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight