Staples

Staples Employee Reviews

Found 11,177 reviews matching the searchSee all 11,845 reviews

Great place for part time work.

Great place for part time work. Staples closed the store location that I worked at for part time work. Great group of employees and bosses. Didn't mind working late. Comparable salary for part time retail.

Pros

Discounts for employees.

Cons

Not enough hours.

Nice environment. Good managers

I was skeptical at first, but this ended up opening up doors for advancement quick. The mangers were very helpful. The DM was also very involved. Training schedules were easy and flexible. Nice place to work at. The party want that great, but I'm sure it's gotten better.

Productive very busy

For copy and print department not paid enough for what you have to do. Expect you to know things fast, don’t want you to ask the managers for help. Very stressful department.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Not enough staff

It is a great place to work

I have no complaints working at staples, other than the pay. It depends on the position you have though. Its a great first job, and if your a great employee, you can then move up in your ranking!

Pros

Cons

Pay

Relaxed workplace, despite being oftentimes hectic in certain departments

Enjoyed getting to know coworkers and management. Pay was not good but they are flexible and forgiving with scheduling. The job itself is pretty enjoyable, at least for me

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Good First Job, Meh Otherwise

I worked for Staples for 7 years and never made more than minimum wage plus the standard 5% raise each year. I enjoyed the people that I worked with but it is standard retail work. Undervalued, overworked, underpaid.

Mismanaged Disaster

Awful experience working at this Staples location. If you end up working here expect poorly scheduled shifts, subpar training, bad decision making from the GM, cut or shortened breaks, unclear directives, and an unfriendly vibe among the staff.

Pros

Weekly pay instead of bi-weekly

Cons

The GM, unfriendly environment, rude entitled local customers, poor scheduling, no work/life balance, low pay

Horrible

Worked in the one by the Staten Island mall for a couple of years. I would barely get a break to eat and would be treated unfairly. Don’t work there.

Pros

Great coworkers I’ve made friends for life

Cons

Management doesn’t listen, no breaks, overworked, low pay, etc.

The staff inherited and hired specifically in Natick was exceptional. Many of us have remained friends and stay in contact via social media!

Would not recommend this company for a position in management. Expectations were beyond a reasonable goal to reach. When expectations went beyond the projected goal, no compensation nor any individual accolades were given. If the store exceeded all goals, a yearly bonus was given.

Most people are treated fair and are treated like an adult. Most people enjoy flexible hours as long as the work is getting done. Not all departments work well together.

Pros

Cons

health plan has a lot of out of pocket expenses

Jobs at Staples

See more jobs

meh

leaving a review to say i worked there and was paid , not worth driving 45 minutes one way for 6 hours a week, especially during times when we were considered essential ,

Don’t do it

100% hate this job. And I don’t say that about a lot of things, but the pay is terrible and the inventory Specialist position requires too much for the pay. No joke this job is dead end. If your in college it’s perfect for you but that’s it.

Ok place to work

Staples was an ok place to work. The best part was the people I worked with and the managers were all nice people. They pay is not very good however and makes it depressing to put in so much time and to get so little, especially with cost of living continue going up. Good job for students I say, or if you just want some part-time work.

Fun coworkers one bad sup

Everyone in the job is very nice I didn’t mind it much, I left however because I felt after a couple months it was time for the next step and the pay was not the greatest but the managers worked with me very well and tried to always help me learn something but one of the other bosses did the opposite and is the reason why I left more prematurely

Pros

Easy work, helpful coworkers

Cons

Pay, one bad sup

Typical retail/customer service job

Work environment was good. Management did a good job in protecting employees from harassment. Overworked and underpaid, however, and often relegated to completing tasks that were not part of my work description.

Not the best management, environment or compensation. Poor morale.

Manager was an extreme micro manager and the employees were very deflated because of it. Not a lot of positive reinforcement and poor morale. Company does not provide a lot of structure to perform. With the right manager it could be a good program???

Decent work

Standard retail job nothing special. Copy and print as well as tech sales are the only thing management cares about so expect a sales job if you work in those departments.

Better Retailer than Most

Enjoy working with the other employees and you are fairly compensated for the hours worked. If you like working with customers this is a good job. It is retail so you will deal with irate customers at times. Training is not bad and if you are early in your career there is room for growth.

Pros

Pay is very good for managers, employees are easy to get along with

Cons

retail business hours are long they don't close much for holidays

You definitely need to pay people

In all honesty, the coworkers and store managers made the job tolerable. The customers and the practices instilled by corporate didn’t. I’m also not surprised to see how hard it may be to get new employees in as the starting rate is poor in comparison to others retail outlets or even some fast food chains. After everything that people have gone through in this current climate, $9-10 per hour to start and about 20 cents in a raise is not enough.

Don't work in tech or copy center

A job I felt they truly tried to take advantage of you. I worked in tech department. The goals they have for tech are not impossible, but far too high for what they pay. No commission? For a goal oriented sales job?As a seasoned salesman, the amount of micromanaging forced from corporate was ridiculous compared to other jobs.All sales had to be discussed with manager on site before sale could be finished. As told by my manager "It's what have you done for me today. Not lately." You wear many hats as well,Computer repair technicianKnowledge expert (Anything computers, to a print sold 5 years ago. You are expect to know how to troubleshoot.)Stock personThe training for the repair part of the job was very basic. I've built and repaired electronics for years and brought that knowledge with me. Sadly I can't say the same about my fellow employees who "built their own pc" but had little to no knowledge on how those components worked what they even did. Would often find extra screws at the start of my shift, often more difficult laptops and all-in-one computers were left to me to fix. Because of "ran out of time" excuses. Also if you are in the middle of taking apart a complex teardown, you are expected to stop where you are and help a customer if you see any near by your department. (Which if you are looking for a big bundle of a sale maybe a hour or so.) I can't recommend this as a sales building experience job. Or even a computer repair job.If you want the stress of a job you should be making double or more at, work at Staples.

Pros

Some great coworkers.

Cons

Low pay, bad training, no commission

RUN the other way

Company is not in a stable place right now, closing stores, downsizing stores, very little payroll being given to operate the stores. They want you to sell extended warranties, but don't want to give you incentives or commission. Hard selling environment, you are measured soley on selling metrics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8K

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

43%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

43%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Staples with

• Staples
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?