Staples Employee Reviews

Found 9,012 reviews matching the search See all 10,503 reviews
Decent manager, half were good and half were bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAJune 25, 2019
Coworkers were great, but one member of management would give you a long list of things to do and just leave you to it. The list would frequently be filled with difficult tasks and he hated to be asked for any kind of help. Another manager stole from me.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Every shift made me feel terrible
Very fun job for a tech looking to excel in their craft and promote customer service skills
TECHNOLOGY SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oviedo, FLJune 25, 2019
The job was amazing and everyone was very nice to each other, all but the General Manager. Apparently the GM is untouchable by HR and the terrible work either that GM provided ruined my taste in working at staples and I lost all motivation in working there.
Pros
Casual work environment as long as you're getting your job done
Cons
Terrible HR and Corporate response.
Fun if you put in effort
Tech Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJune 25, 2019
Staples can be a very fun and fulfilling environment, but only if you can put in the effort! You must have the drive to succeed and must be competitive. Stores are always competing against one another in a friendly way and corporate expects each store to meet certain goals weekly!
Pros
Fun environment, great coworkers, flexible hours, rewarded for your work
Cons
Dont have a bad day, customers can be ruder than most places, reprimanded if goals arent met
worst job
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 24, 2019
The pay was decent but not worth the day to day aggravation. Outdated equipment. No safety regulations. Immature management. Unnecessary overtime. Inconsistency through the entire warehouse.
great place to work if you know the industry
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLJune 24, 2019
I loved working at Staples, I just didn't know the product well enough to advance and keep up with the work load. I was not familiar with there procedures and processes.
just to gain any work experience.
Copy & Print Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 24, 2019
this is a job you get just to start off and gain experience. it is not a place where you want to stay and make a career out of this place. staples is a faced paced environment and you need to have next level patience to work here.
Pros
overtime hours
Cons
low pay, no benefits, no advancement available, disrespectful customers, poor management
fun workplace, no advancement.
Rockville Pike Rockville, 20850 - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 24, 2019
Got experience with customer service, Usually was the one with the most credit card applications, learned what offices usually need. Met a lot of great people.
The most amazing managers and staff
Print & Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  New London, CTJune 24, 2019
The managers and staff at the Staples in New London are absolutely amazing. They are kind, understanding, helpful, and really care about you. Working in the print department can be very rewarding, there are a lot of interesting projects that come through and some very sweet regular customers, but it is also incredibly fast paced, involves a lot of multi-tasking, and is very difficult when we are understaffed. There is a lot that needs to get done, and a lot of times not enough time or staffing to do it all.
Pros
Great staff and managers
Cons
Understaffed
Expects too much from employees for the pay. Good experience for professional minded youth or Managment professionals
Print and Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Kisco, NY 10549June 24, 2019
My store's success decreased in the 10 years that I worked there, due mostly to insufficient staffing. Applicants who would work for the offered wages did not always have the proper skills, and those with the proper skills often would not accept the low wages. Management always came across as caring for the welfare of their employees within company limits. Good opportunity to learn basics of sales culture. Many cross-trained positions offered fresh work activity year round. Many changes in management personnel at multiple levels made building fruitful work relationships difficult for associates and leads. Very good opportunity to build customer engagement skills.
Bad management
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 24, 2019
My Sales manager conducts personal business during his shifts he takes multiple breaks a day and often shows up hours late to work with absolutely no repercussions I am overly pressured to sell and sign people up for rewards on a daily basis to the point I fear losing my job if I fall short of the overly high expectations I have been verbally harassed by my general manager that has said things to me that I rather not repeat she's made people cry honestly The survey system is broken if

From a customer there is no learning curve on how the situation could have been better handled so you become a better worker you just get written up your a part time worker that makes part-time pay except for back to school season. Than your working thirty something hours a week and are not given vacation time and are also not receiving the benefits of the full time hours your working you receive bad feedback
Interaction with different types of people
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJune 23, 2019
I interact with many walks of life in this position with Staples. I work at the print & marketing department and I like helping people place orders for copy jobs and give a reasonable time frame for when they can be completed.
Pros
completing print jobs with quality checks to customers satisfactions
Cons
dealing with impatient customers who expect a print job to be done on demand
Great in the beginning but depressing in the end
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJune 23, 2019
things were great while i was at staples, im still employeed but considering leaving after seeing my days shrink and a threat from gm to give me just one day a week. i met some great people while i worked but the store manager should take a little more consideration into her employees. i have had 15 people leave/quit in my 7 months here and for the first few months it was stressful, but im a hard worker. i sold printers..and parts, but im more of an on hands guy and there is no greater enjoyment then working on a computer that needs assistance,

hardest part of the job was dealing with managment and the fact no one really communicated in that store. no one in my department besides the sales manager and me cared about our department. even if i couldnt land a sale on a printer or computer i know he could get it done.

i wish the job could of done better for me.. full time no stress and pressure to sell anything.. but this isnt my calling....i wanna work in an industry that cares about their employees and technology
Pros
Experience, Money
Cons
See Above. forced to break, Hours Cut
Poor company values
Tech Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHJune 23, 2019
Managers are great people who can teach a lot to you, but there is a noticeable gap between corporate and these managers. Non-competitive pay, unrealistic sales goals with no motivation to reach them, and somewhat decent hours.
Pros
Knowledge enhancement in field.
It was once a good company
Customer Service Manager/ Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CAJune 22, 2019
When I first started the company had good pay, good benefits and options for advancement. Over the years the company started showing a lack of care for customers and employees, cutting benefits on both sides.
Ok place to work
Sr. Business Development Mgr./Acct. Mgr. (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLJune 21, 2019
Compensation used to be good.
Not happy how recent downsize was handled. Lay off only to rewrite same job description for less pay. No resources set up to help those affected on next career path. Have to re-apply like everyone else. Ex: Put an ad out for 1 opening, called in for interview and the position is already
filled. Top performers should be given first opportunity
Great Place to work
Head of Office Supplies (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTJune 21, 2019
I had good managers. I would recommend them. Benefits are only for full time and part time you only receive up to 20 hours and maybe more. You can work at other stores at the same time.
Pros
Perksatwork, 10%, advancement
Cons
Benefits are bad.
Typical Day
Easy Tech Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 21, 2019
Pros

"Flexible hours, work life balance is okay when your an hourly associate"

"Flexible schedule and interesting work"

Cons

"Upper Management (unrealistic goals)"

"Not much benefits for part-time employees
Nice place to work
Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee) –  New york, West palm BeachJune 20, 2019
I did enjoy working at Staples. In fact I would love to work for Staples again. The last position I had in New York had issues with management but loved working at the production facility
Friendly atmosphere and great pay
Site Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLJune 20, 2019
Staples would be a great place to work, if they could get out of their own way and put competent managers in place. Great all around atmosphere, but you have to get used to the micromanagement that takes place constantly.
Nice place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 20, 2019
The pay isn’t the best but is a wonderful place to work. I enjoy helping customers and recommending other purchase items. I have learned very good stocking skills and how important it is to place items in correct location. I have learned more about troubleshooting computers. I have also learned about how to print business cards, posters and a number of customer orders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.

52.6K
43.3K
32.8K
21K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Staples.

Powered by Comparably