Staples Employee Reviews

Found 9,008 reviews matching the search See all 10,498 reviews
great place to work if you know the industry
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLJune 24, 2019
I loved working at Staples, I just didn't know the product well enough to advance and keep up with the work load. I was not familiar with there procedures and processes.
just to gain any work experience.
Copy & Print Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 24, 2019
this is a job you get just to start off and gain experience. it is not a place where you want to stay and make a career out of this place. staples is a faced paced environment and you need to have next level patience to work here.
Pros
overtime hours
Cons
low pay, no benefits, no advancement available, disrespectful customers, poor management
fun workplace, no advancement.
Rockville Pike Rockville, 20850 - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 24, 2019
Got experience with customer service, Usually was the one with the most credit card applications, learned what offices usually need. Met a lot of great people.
The most amazing managers and staff
Print & Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  New London, CTJune 24, 2019
The managers and staff at the Staples in New London are absolutely amazing. They are kind, understanding, helpful, and really care about you. Working in the print department can be very rewarding, there are a lot of interesting projects that come through and some very sweet regular customers, but it is also incredibly fast paced, involves a lot of multi-tasking, and is very difficult when we are understaffed. There is a lot that needs to get done, and a lot of times not enough time or staffing to do it all.
Pros
Great staff and managers
Cons
Understaffed
Expects too much from employees for the pay. Good experience for professional minded youth or Managment professionals
Print and Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Kisco, NY 10549June 24, 2019
My store's success decreased in the 10 years that I worked there, due mostly to insufficient staffing. Applicants who would work for the offered wages did not always have the proper skills, and those with the proper skills often would not accept the low wages. Management always came across as caring for the welfare of their employees within company limits. Good opportunity to learn basics of sales culture. Many cross-trained positions offered fresh work activity year round. Many changes in management personnel at multiple levels made building fruitful work relationships difficult for associates and leads. Very good opportunity to build customer engagement skills.
Bad management
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 24, 2019
My Sales manager conducts personal business during his shifts he takes multiple breaks a day and often shows up hours late to work with absolutely no repercussions I am overly pressured to sell and sign people up for rewards on a daily basis to the point I fear losing my job if I fall short of the overly high expectations I have been verbally harassed by my general manager that has said things to me that I rather not repeat she's made people cry honestly The survey system is broken if

From a customer there is no learning curve on how the situation could have been better handled so you become a better worker you just get written up your a part time worker that makes part-time pay except for back to school season. Than your working thirty something hours a week and are not given vacation time and are also not receiving the benefits of the full time hours your working you receive bad feedback
Interaction with different types of people
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJune 23, 2019
I interact with many walks of life in this position with Staples. I work at the print & marketing department and I like helping people place orders for copy jobs and give a reasonable time frame for when they can be completed.
Pros
completing print jobs with quality checks to customers satisfactions
Cons
dealing with impatient customers who expect a print job to be done on demand
Great in the beginning but depressing in the end
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJune 23, 2019
things were great while i was at staples, im still employeed but considering leaving after seeing my days shrink and a threat from gm to give me just one day a week. i met some great people while i worked but the store manager should take a little more consideration into her employees. i have had 15 people leave/quit in my 7 months here and for the first few months it was stressful, but im a hard worker. i sold printers..and parts, but im more of an on hands guy and there is no greater enjoyment then working on a computer that needs assistance,

hardest part of the job was dealing with managment and the fact no one really communicated in that store. no one in my department besides the sales manager and me cared about our department. even if i couldnt land a sale on a printer or computer i know he could get it done.

i wish the job could of done better for me.. full time no stress and pressure to sell anything.. but this isnt my calling....i wanna work in an industry that cares about their employees and technology
Pros
Experience, Money
Cons
See Above. forced to break, Hours Cut
Poor company values
Tech Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHJune 23, 2019
Managers are great people who can teach a lot to you, but there is a noticeable gap between corporate and these managers. Non-competitive pay, unrealistic sales goals with no motivation to reach them, and somewhat decent hours.
Pros
Knowledge enhancement in field.
It was once a good company
Customer Service Manager/ Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CAJune 22, 2019
When I first started the company had good pay, good benefits and options for advancement. Over the years the company started showing a lack of care for customers and employees, cutting benefits on both sides.
Ok place to work
Sr. Business Development Mgr./Acct. Mgr. (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLJune 21, 2019
Compensation used to be good.
Not happy how recent downsize was handled. Lay off only to rewrite same job description for less pay. No resources set up to help those affected on next career path. Have to re-apply like everyone else. Ex: Put an ad out for 1 opening, called in for interview and the position is already
filled. Top performers should be given first opportunity
Great Place to work
Head of Office Supplies (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTJune 21, 2019
I had good managers. I would recommend them. Benefits are only for full time and part time you only receive up to 20 hours and maybe more. You can work at other stores at the same time.
Pros
Perksatwork, 10%, advancement
Cons
Benefits are bad.
Typical Day
Easy Tech Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 21, 2019
Pros

"Flexible hours, work life balance is okay when your an hourly associate"

"Flexible schedule and interesting work"

Cons

"Upper Management (unrealistic goals)"

"Not much benefits for part-time employees
Nice place to work
Copy and Print Associate (Former Employee) –  New york, West palm BeachJune 20, 2019
I did enjoy working at Staples. In fact I would love to work for Staples again. The last position I had in New York had issues with management but loved working at the production facility
Friendly atmosphere and great pay
Site Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLJune 20, 2019
Staples would be a great place to work, if they could get out of their own way and put competent managers in place. Great all around atmosphere, but you have to get used to the micromanagement that takes place constantly.
Nice place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 20, 2019
The pay isn’t the best but is a wonderful place to work. I enjoy helping customers and recommending other purchase items. I have learned very good stocking skills and how important it is to place items in correct location. I have learned more about troubleshooting computers. I have also learned about how to print business cards, posters and a number of customer orders.
Staples is an excellent company to progress in your career and roles
Release/DevOps Manager (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJune 20, 2019
Learnt about new technologies, workplace culture is awesome with teamwork and collaboration, there is scope for trying out new initiatives, very good probability for career growth.
Corporate Promotes Toxicity. Changing Management Defines Worker Experience
Electronic Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJune 20, 2019
To begin, the biggest issue with Staples is the competitive nature between stores makes the environment breed a lot of toxicity. I wasn't in management, but secondhand experiences from managers or the occasional sentence off of a conference call made it obvious that they weren't being treated well. If you're empathetic, this will be an extremely negative experience if you let your nose move around too much. Those same pressures are moved onto Associates, which makes the job more stressful than the pay entails.

Different managers really change how the store is. The most recent General Manager had high demands despite their own low effort. The number of times a 'new policy' was put into place then subsequently forgotten with no follow-up is quite insane.

Sales pressure is high, but there's no financial incentive to sell high. It doesn't seem like people are actually penalized beyond being given verbal warnings if they aren't selling well. When your efforts aren't enough to reach goals, they're ultimately meaningless and receive no praise. Included with the sales pressure is operations pressure (doing general retail stuff). The expectation is to get considerably large projects done while also guaranteeing every customer's purchases are maximized. There's really was no balance to these expectations.

I'll point out there were team meetings that were derogatory towards workers, and generally made the environment seem worse.

Corporate itself makes opportunities for the store to get Associates free lunch.

The coworkers were generally great people to work with, and
  more... were what made the job worthwhile.  less
Pros
Great coworkers, slow days
Cons
Management, Corporate Culture
a busy and somewhat stressful workplace
Tech Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 19, 2019
a typical day involves helping customers resetting planograms and talking with my boss about why we aren't hitting the metrics her boss set for her which is where most of the stress comes from
Pros
good benefits for full time employees
Cons
skipping breaks to keep coverage, micro managing boss
It was pretty good
Administrative Assistant / Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAJune 19, 2019
I did learn a lot at Staples. Bookkeeping, money accounting, cash register, tills, and other behind the scene accounting procedures. The pay was not the greatest for all the responsibility.
Pros
People
Cons
No benifits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.

52.6K
43.2K
32.8K
21K

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

43%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

43%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss