Staples Employee Reviews

Great starting point!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJMay 18, 2018
This is a great starting job for teenagers and young adults to experience sales and some people skills. Co workers are always friendly and make the job less tedious. Customers will always keep you on your toes and you are always doing something
Pros
Great Staff, Great first job pay, great experience
Cons
No room for advancement, Company is shutting down stores, Only so much you can learn
SR. MARKETING ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAMay 17, 2018
I enjoyed working at Staples customer analytics department and collaborating on cross-functional analytical projects .Great place to learn and grow. The workplace culture is good.
Management needs an overhaul
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 17, 2018
Staples has a great reputation for having a family style work environment. Although they do some things with this in mind, other's are way off the mark. You will only stay in management's good graces if you do exactly what they want, when they want it. Otherwise, if you go against the grain, you will have issues and there will be obstacles put in place to shut you down quickly and without too much fuss, and it is not something that I am comfortable with or used to. Great pay, competitive package but management needs work. People leave managers, not companies, and in my situation this rings very true.
Fun coworkers make for a friendly environment
Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INMay 17, 2018
A typical day at work involves helping customers, stocking shelves, putting out freight, an reorganizing the store.
I learned to better interact with the customers to give them a good experience in the store which would make them want to continue to come back. Management is extremely stressful and doesn't think plans all the way through. Management started a thing where they want you to do the job above you so you'll know how to do it successfully if you ever get promoted but you still only get paid to do your role and then get condescended when your job isn't complete. The hardest part is seeing the store constantly lose good employees due to management. The most enjoyable part is the coworkers.
Pros
10% discount, make new friends
Cons
Short lunch breaks, stressful management
Fun work experience
Senior Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 17, 2018
My overall work experience at Staples was wonderful. I learned a lot during my time also the management was great. I really enjoyed the workplace culture because everyone was so friendly and treated each other as family. By far, Staples was one of the best organizations Ive ever worked for in spite of the company downsizing.
High school students only need apply
Copy Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Edgewater, NJMay 17, 2018
Low pay, too much work for 1 person yet they only schedule 1 person at a time in copy center, the busiest department. Customers are nasty and you are abused for the entire shift. Staples does not give raises, only 4 or 5 cents PER YEAR! They push you to sell but give you no incentive to do so. Everyone complains all the time and the employee turn around is ridiculous.
Cons
No breaks unless you push for one, no raises, low pay, abusive store
Just the Worst
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHMay 16, 2018
So many people quit or were fired during the 3 months I worked there. I was constantly hit on by one of the managers, I couldn't even leave because I was trapped behind the register ALL THE TIME. A terrible environment, the only way I bonded with coworkers was by complaining
Fast Paced environment with great people to work with
Print & Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43219May 16, 2018
I believe Staples gave me a great tool in working in retail. They allowed me to show them that I am a diligent worker and I can multi-task when situations arise.
Pros
The people are really cool, most customers come in with a great attitude
Cons
We used to have a chair to sit down in the copy center area but they took it away for some reason, I work long shifts so me standing for hours a day doesn't really seem necessary
No longer exists in Tucson
Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 16, 2018
Would be a great place to work and as a store if it remained open in Tucson. As corporate was planning to close all stores in Tucson, they should have known better than hiring people even in a part time status knowing that they will close all stores in Tucson.
Cons
Designed for first job, not for experienced candidates
Printing & Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  South Elgin, ILMay 16, 2018
I applied to be in the Print & Marketing department, however it has been 3 months since I've been hired and have not been to that department (despite the managers telling me that they would get me there). Each shift, I am at the register and considering that the particular store I work at has a low volume, the days can drag. I have not learned anything new nor have I utilized the skills I posses. It should be noted that my experience is entirely independent and does not represent the company as a whole.
great for starters
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NY 11239May 16, 2018
staples need more orginization , only reason why i left because needed more money for the amount of work that i was doing each day , also needed more hours
Much more labor work than tech work
Easytech Associate (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 16, 2018
As a easy tech associate I'm supposed to Engages customers on the sales floor. Also responsible for ensuring all operational policies and processes are followed (i.e., PC Intake through pickup process). Stays current on new technologies, products and services. Perform computer repair work or diagnostics as needed, but most of the time I had to fix the aisles.
Always Moving
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jackson Heights, NYMay 15, 2018
Like any other workplace, you have to move around a lot. You have to take in consideration that there are people that need help as well as trying to restock the aisles in a fast pace to free up space in the loading dock. Check out and offer discounts to customers so that they have a great shopping experience. They let you know what you did wrong and also go the mile to appreciate you at the end of the month with a meeting well at my Staples store. But I'm guessing at all Staples stores too. Overall a good place to start working if you really want to get some experience.
Pros
Breaks are long, Appreciation
Cons
Rushing and moving alot
It's Retail, what can i say?
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2018
I took the job as a young guy when still in school. Noone seemed to care, not even management, which made it hard for me to care.

With just a regular amount of effort and professionalism, I was a manager in a few years. From there you need to know someone.
Staples Canada is amazing!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 15, 2018
Staples Canada is the better market for sure. They are one of the few companies that actually still care for the associate and gives them the opportunity to grow withing the company. Always eager to find new ways to better the serve the customer and while having realistic goals for stores and associates. Staples Canada sets you up for success!!
Pros
Associate Appreciation
Cons
US doesn't follow Canada's Lead
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 15, 2018
it was great working there, but I was an intern and wasnt able to work there after the school year had ended. I hope to be able to work with them in the near future
Pros
na
Cons
na
Excellent
IT Technician Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2018
Excellent learning experience. Great place to work and network with the many business customers that comes its store doors. This company fully recongnizes its employees within for their committment in work and more.
High turnover
Tech Supervisor (Current Employee) –  NYMay 15, 2018
Stressful place to work. High turnover and they expect you to do 5 people's jobs with no compensation. They pay very badly so you're stuck working with a bunch of 16 year olds, the job is akin to babysitting.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Long days, inconsistent retail hours, poor support from upper management
Very busy Copy/Print Center.
Copy and Print Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 15, 2018
I was the supervisor of the Copy/Print center. 5 associaties in the department. Very active and sometimes stressfull, but I also learned about the copy/print businesss and customer relations.
Starter but don't make it a career
Tech Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAMay 14, 2018
Company does not care about its employees at all. They continually stress employees to push for things that is near impossible to get time to time and managers berate you for that. Absolute garbage company and should only go into this company as a last resort.
Pros
15 min breaks
Cons
Everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K
42.7K
32.3K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

57out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Staples.