Staples

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Great place for part time work.

Great place for part time work. Staples closed the store location that I worked at for part time work. Great group of employees and bosses. Didn't mind working late. Comparable salary for part time retail.

Pros

Discounts for employees.

Cons

Not enough hours.

Watch out for management

Could be better but they believe one size fits all. They need to listen more to the people on the front lines and realize that people need time to develope, and not be so cheap with their pay.

Pros

Easy job

Cons

It was ok but be careful who you interact with

My experience working as an associate was challenging and stressful. I have learned many things, especially how to multitask and do other jobs at another department. Management was below average because they can be acritical about your work and may blame you for other people’s mistakes. They can be unprofessional at times, and they can be mostly unaware and unapologetic. Please be careful not to speak about your business with others because they may quickly gossip about you. Pay is decent depending on what department you work in.

Pros

Breaks, flexibility, pay was fair

Cons

Management having lack of empathy towards associates, communication

productive

very nice place to work, rude staff sometimes though. it took a while to get the hang of it and i needed a lot of help at first but eventually got better.

Pros

manager

Cons

rude people

Horribly managed and lack of pay and job security for what they demand

There's is nothing beneficial but to have the experience, the workers need a Union it's purely disrespectful in the balance, pay l, and security for the workers.

Pros

A job

Cons

Every stressful minute

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Not bad

We’re having fun and we never stop caring about our own customers. We may get angry sometimes but we’re all human. I just want to see myself grow and focus on work.

Pros

Lunches

Cons

Breaks

Good first job

I worked here for a while and was pleased with the other employees and management was nice and would usually give time off if requested. I do think for the amount of work you do the pay is not great. I was a easy tech associate and was pushed very hard to sell even though you make no commission or pay increase. This falls on staples corporate. Good first job, wouldn’t recommend for more than 6months to a 1 1/2years.

Pros

Friendly staff, good and reasonable management

Cons

Pay was not enough, sales were pushed to hard

Poor lower management, disconnected mid/upper management,

Incredibly high turnover! They ask you to sell a paid membership program to businesses, meaning they have to pay a large fee annually just to have access to ordering. You’ll discover that your pricing is much higher than any competition, including Staples own regular pricing, which makes zero sense yet no real effort to correct this was made. This leads to customer cancellations and low spending. Cannot compete with Amazon or other retailers. Sales goals are the same for everyone regardless of the size or economy of each territory, leading to the majority of salespeople earning $0 commission, being put on performance plans, and eventually terminated. Only the best territories in the country pay decently. Compensation plans were changed at least 4 times in 2 years, never to the benefit of the sales staff.

Pros

Small cell and gas allowance

Cons

Terrible comp plan, high turnover

Not much of a balanced life

Very hard to balance work life and home life in staples. Not your ideal company to be working for when all they care about is the job being done and nothing else. There’s no middle ground and requesting time off is the hardest thing. They make you feel guilty for taking time off you earned

The people are great!

The people that I worked with made all the difference in the world. The job was challenging at time but there were always kind, helpful, and supportive associates and coworkers to help. That is what I miss most of all!

Pros

Benefits, People, Community Support

Cons

Healthcare choices, lots of change in leadership

Good place

It was nice and I enjoyed it. The people I worked with became my good friends and management was good. I enjoyed my time there. If you like places that are quiet staples is actually pretty quiet

Poor workplace with too much stress on rewards.

Staples is a basic run of the mill retail job with far to much push to sell Rewards, Protection Plans and credit cards. The rest of the work in the store is looked away from and barely noticed unless your getting plans even though you're in the back most of the day.

Overall a really good staff and a hardworking loving team

Staples upper management I don’t know how much they really care about you but my manager in my store as well as all of my employees except one are all loving and hardworking and great to be around. We work well as a team. The pay is okay, but I do enjoy getting paid weekly. The location is great and you’re hours will be met as long as you don’t call out.

Pros

Bonus in Copycenter, Great staff, Nice management

Cons

Upper management harsh, No excused sickness, entitled customers, let some terrible people stay with the company

Fun place to work

Great place for someone looking for their first job. Experience is great along with people you work with. Managment helps you along the way to learn. Great staff as well.

Pros

Team enviorment

Cons

Retail often acompanies rude customers.

Nice workplace

I have been working here for 1 or 2 years its a nice place I really enjoy it. They take care of their employees. Working as a cashier is pretty easy and not stressful.

Pros

benefits time off

Cons

customer complaints

Yikes

Dirty, dusty and poorly managed…inventory out of whack…workers on the floor are backstabbing rats…theft and damage rampant…an issue?…solve it, don’t ask for help cause you ain’t getting it

Pros

I found a pen on the floor

Cons

No direction, training

Nice part time gig

It was awesome. Good place to work while in college. Management was nice and flexible with my school schedule. Pay was alright but it’s probably higher now. 3/5. Would recommend

It's a retail job....

This company was my home for three years and I worked in every department at 2 different stores. They were good at giving you the time off you requested and the other people I worked with were fun but the job it's self is beyond stressful due to improper management from above. They focus on the little numbers like how many rewards accounts did you get today or why aren't people filling out the surveys that are on the reciept as opposed to the bigger issues of why is 90% of your staff part time employees working 50 hours a week? They base every store off of a couple particular layouts yet not every store is set up that way and then when you run out of space for the product that's delivered it's your fault as eployees for not "making the space" and having palettes out on the store floor because there's literally no space in the back for them. Or your store doesn't have the shelves or aisles that are in the set up pictures so you have to improvise and then still get told it's wrong. If you do make a move up into a supervisor position prepare to be taken advantage of you're basically an assistant store manager now getting paid practically nothing. My second store we had 5 store managers in the 1 year I worked there and most of the time due to my previous store I knew more than the managers thet we're bringing in and basically leaving to the wolves because retail customers do not care one bit if youre new.

Pros

You get paid

Cons

Short breaks, micromanaged or no management, pay

Easy going work environment

Working here wasn’t bad. If you’re looking for something easy and part time I recommend being sales associate as I did. Very hectic during back to school, otherwise very simple job

Pros

Easy job

Cons

Short staffed

to begin with, poor management

I was hired for the TSA PreCheck and have heard NOTHING more about it. Apparently several people were, and none of us is working that desk. I was not hired to work retail, but I have been since day 1. On top of that, absolutely no consistent training, and the turnover makes it nearly impossible to actually do a decent job when people either don't know or don't care where stock goes and why. I think beginning with the poor management, everything else trickles down.

Pros

pizza usually weekly, snacks, good about breaks

Cons

poor management, very high turnover

Heavy workload but great team

In a typical day I clock in an hour before the store opens to do the cash office, put out the tills, review the BOPiS orders, check the store email/ACE/Hub, then adjust inventory based on the morning Negative On Hand report. Mondays revolve around receiving the truck, Tuesdays are for cycle counts and processing damages and thefts, Wednesdays and Thursdays are ZB and planogram days and preparing for the next week's truck. Typically. Like everyone, we're having staffing issues (I attribute it to the fact that we are not offering pay that is competitive to other employers in our area, often $3-$5 less), and I am often rushing to complete my typical duties as I am being forced to do the work of three people. It is incredibly frustrating and I'm sick of getting yelled at by customers over things I cannot control. I've joked with my fellow supervisors, "The IS belongs out in the wild, on the floor and in the warehouse, not confined to the front end as a cashier for the majority of their shift." Please. Get me away from these customers throwing temper tantrums. MODing is not in my job description.Prior to officially taking the position, I was stressed that I wouldn't be able to perform well seeing as I was only getting around 60 hours of training, but later learned that most inventory specialists are just thrown into the job with no training at all - dangerous given the duties of the IS! It's a thankless job as a whole that's physically and mentally demanding, especially when the store has physical inventory. And the pay is absolute peanuts. My friends and coworkers alike were -

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8K

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

46%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

42%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss