Star Career Academy Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very disorganized
Supervise a team of cosmetology instructors (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PA 19403January 23, 2018
Has closed since I left in 2012 due to lack of student retention.

The new executive director had no knowledge of the requirements for the cosmetology program set by the state.
Pros
Beautiful facility
Cons
Lack of knowledge
good
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJDecember 10, 2017
learned different positions went from FA to Admissions Coordinator to Career Services this was the most enjoyable because I was able to assist graduates with gaining employment
Skills/Intern
Externship - IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 22, 2017
Since i was only an intern, my job was minimal. i was there mainly to learn the ins and outs of how a school's IT department worked. After spending 4 months i learned that not everyday is a challenge and not every day will you have work.
Great
Chef Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2017
Star Career was an excellent place to work in with a great working environment with a great manager and fantastic staff members. We celebrated one another, frequently.
poor management
Educator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 5, 2017
poor management and leadership skills this place is no longer in business and I understand why. I had a very bad experience working here. A new director came in and brought the whole cosmetology department down.
Good
Surgical Technologist Instructor (Former Employee) –  Township of Brick, NJSeptember 29, 2017
Not happy with the change in ownership over the time that I've been there. There's been 3 different owners and it's been love confusion but I've done my best to do my job and do it well with good worth at work ethic and on C will liability and truth
Pros
Loved my job and my corkers
Cons
No raise in 5 years very disappointing
It was pretty ok
Dialysis Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2017
It was an amazing experience, the environment was great . I didn't work there long enough to give them a fair review, the job site that I was placed in experienced severe damage after Hurricane Katrina therefore I wasn't able to return
Financial Aid Officer/Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 21, 2017
The supervisor was petty...she had her picks on who she favored...when ever I would make a mistake on something, she would stop speaking and then make our meetings even more stressful because she would be being spiteful with her suggestions or concerns.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
short staff
Sad
Vice President of Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJuly 21, 2017
Closure was imminent, but was blessed to work with some truly dynamic employees at the various campuses and home office alike.

Didn't learn much, but I am very well versed on the close out procedures by the Dept of Ed when closing a school because of this experience.
Closed Down
Director of Facilities (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2017
This location Closed Down in 216 due to financial reasons. Unfortunately the entire company closed down and would not be able to suggest anyone in applying. Overall great experience working with-in adult educations. transforming lives was one of the better parts of the job.
Rewarding career
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJJune 6, 2017
Rewarding career up until the day the institution closed. This is why I selected "not likely to recommend" as a place of employment as they have shut their doors permanently.
Was a great company
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMay 24, 2017
Star career academy was great. While I attended school perusing my pastry chef certification they provided me with a job to help with transportation and tuition. I was very saddened when they closed the business while I was on maternity leave, because not only was it a great job but an awesome school.
good place to work
Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMay 5, 2017
Days were full of activity with projects to make the company better for all stakeholders. Positive culture, good people, hard workers, growth oriented.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
regulatory environment
medical assistant instructor
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJApril 5, 2017
The program is not well set up.
Students are not properly selected.
Not enough equipment.
Management has an irrelative background.
Facility is not properly clean.
Great Place to work
Assistant Director of Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJApril 5, 2017
Great place to work with wonderful co-workers. Agency that promoted with in. Unfortunately Star is no longer open as they ceased operations in December 2016.
Educational Environment
Corporate Default Loan Instructor ~ Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NY ~ Clifton, NJMarch 14, 2017
The majority of the Instructors are knowledgeable caring individuals.
The majority of the Corporate Staff (CEO) included is less to be desired and beyond need training.
Pros
Caring staff
Cons
non qualified employees
Pressure SALES
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 2, 2017
The real reason they are closed is because when a school gets greedy they start putting people in class that do not want to work afterward.(I want to keep my Public Assistance benefits type of student)the placement rate gets affected and the Dept of ED stop funding. after that the school can only survive on students that can actually afford 15k-25k for an education.
Pros
they were conveniently located
Cons
they were pressure sales orientated
A spring board to nowhere
Business Administration Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJJanuary 30, 2017
I prefer not to say more. I was told upon hire that it was recommended that I enhance my skills by enrolling in courses and seminars, but I was scheduled to work a split shift everyday from 8 am to 12 noon, then back at 6 pm until 10 pm 4 nights a week. That schedule leaves very little personal time. I was told I would have to work 1 Saturday a month, thankfully that never happened.

In the beginning I was told I should work whatever number of hours were required to get the job done. I was permitted to arrive early to grade papers and prepare for the day's classes. After changes in management, Overtime was forbidden, and I was told to get the work done in a very short period of time without going over 40 hours a week.
My experience at Star Career Academy was very fulfilling, the interaction with students and parents in assisting them to achieve their academic goal.
Financial Aid Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2017
Working at Star Career Academy gave me the opportunity to enhance my management skills and must important keep the department in compliance. I had a department from 3-5 financial aid officer, the financial aid department was very hands on with met on a daily basis approximately between 10-20 students this include prospective and in school students. I have worked for Star for eight (8) years, I held the position as a Financial Aid Director for past six (6) years. I have worked for -profit Institution for 19 years.

The best part of my job is to educate students on how financial aid assistance work from how is the best way to finance their education and seeing the end result of a student graduating. The culture of this school as the years pass by was friendly, approachable we worked as a team excellent communication between financial aid and admission and with our corporate financial aid team. The hardest part of the job was waiting for new guidance on new institution policy from our corporate office that result in a hurdle to perform our daily duty. Unfortunately for the past 4 years upper management change and decisions were made that cause the school to close mainly in the financial aspect.

I’m detail oriented, one of my strength is in customer services, counseling students, analytical, multitask, adaptable, and loyal. I’m a team player that is dedicated to my job in helping students achieve their career dreams. I like to collaborate with the company by suggesting new ideas that could work for us as a company and must important for our students.
Fun peers to work with
Senior Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 18, 2017
Had fun working here met great people although wasn't a big fan of the management team and the unforeseen closing of all the schools.
A typical day at work would be making outbound calls to inquiries and setting appointment and interviewing potential students.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
School closed out of the blue without warning and school had financial issues with lawsuits