Star Transportation Employee Reviews

Good starter truck driving company
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  La Vergne, TNJune 2, 2019
Can’t complain for the first job outta truck driving school. You will learn what you need to hear make decent money then get your experience and move on to better opportunities.
Pros
Great starter company
Cons
Average pay
Great company.
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 9, 2019
It has been a great company so far. Few ups and downs but for the most part it has been awesome. Mostly dedicated but they've been doing more OTR, my route has me home at least once during the week and I'm home every weekend.
Pros
Dedicated routes
Fun opportunity and gained a great amount of knowledge on professional relationships
Driver Manager; driver retention specialist (Former Employee) –  La Vergne, TNApril 8, 2019
Great place to work and great people to work with. Stress and time management very high but very manageable. Overall good place to be and learn. I would definitely go back.
Pros
Good people and my drivers were great.
Cons
Learning personal behaviors and predicting what someone is going to do before they do it
Great locally owned company
Human Resources/Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 8, 2019
A great locally owned family company that has been operating in the transportation industry in MN for 20+ years. They take care of the employees and really look out for them.
Non productive
Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 3, 2019
I had a lease truck could get steady miles delivery time not possible truck broke down I was hit by another company while parked both cost me money wert my fault
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Miles wert steady
Not much and wouldn't recommend
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 31, 2019
Not a great place to work. Does not have any type of on boarding or training for their process you are expected to just figure it out.Your typical day will consist of asking others how to help and not having a clear outline of your job or the requirements. Management does not operate well when having to face any workplace issues. Upper management is withdrawn and not any part of the day to day operations.
Pros
Co Workers are great
Cons
Long list, Healthcare is minimal, Management is poor, Rules change daily, and etc
I enjoyed my tenure and truly enjoyed my boss. We made a great team. My boss trusted me and I trusted him.
Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 3, 2018
I enjoyed my work and was able to be in my wheelhouse. My boss let me work the driver compliance and he took care of any face to face dealings with the drivers.
A team of loyal employees that care about the people they transport.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Romeo, MIOctober 10, 2018
Star transportation is a small company in romeo, michigan. We have 14 passenger buses and we don't work weekends or nights.

We are not part of the star from other states!!
Relaxed place to drive for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  La Vergne, TN 37086September 26, 2018
I liked working at Star the only thing I did not like is away from my family weeks at a time. I would like a job where I am only gone maybe 2 days a week and home in the evenings with my family.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
not being home for weeks at a time
Work
Dedicated Driver (Current Employee) –  La Vergne, TNJune 18, 2018
Star Transportation is a great place just not for me fairly not use to the work or the equipment. I mean they’re kind and friendly people but once you’re by yourself that’s it.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay
Cons
Equipment, poor communication
Great workplace
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLMarch 28, 2018
My day at work is fun filled, while working. Everyone gets along, even while our trainers are teaching us. I presume we all learned how to work together as a team, while helping others as we get our own jobs done. The expertise management is highly expected, and is always there. The most difficult part of my job, is leaving at the end of the day. We all feel like one big family. I absolutely love the meetings where we all get together and discover how to make our working environment a better place
Excellent starting company
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 19, 2018
Learned how to drive coming out of school back in 2012, my assigned trainer was great. Got enough Miles to gain my experience. Would recommend this company to someone who is looking to start a career in Truck driving. The equipment is in excellent shape. Direct deposit is convenient. If you get the Walmart account please stick to it.
Pros
Good home time, no forced dispatch
Cons
Long nights at shipper, pay is not competitive
Nice place to start
Former gm run driver (Former Employee) –  NashvilleMarch 11, 2018
I drove for star for 12 yrs.from 1998 until 2010 .after company was sold to covenant, everything changed. No miles ,always in tn at end of week, I lived in md. So I decided to go back to md to find a trucking company. ..
Pros
Great trucks an gm runs thru home to start.
Cons
No home time..
Family type atmosphere
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 26, 2018
It's a great company for people just out if truck driving school. Good training program and staff. New or Newer equipment. Easy dispatch and dedicated lanes. Light freight to haul..
Pros
Great time off during 4th of July and Christmas holidays. Home during the week and weekends.
Cons
Starter company
New Bedford's finest
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAJanuary 2, 2018
A very good company to be working for.i started out as a driver But transitioned to dispatch and customer service. Improved the night calls by 300 percent over a six month period
Pros
Paid daily, free WiFi
Cons
No breaks
Very nice place to work
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 14, 2017
Star is a very nice place to work if you are just starting out the have very good patients with people Thayer have a vey good management team nice trucks also
Pros
Free lu
Cons
Good company to drive for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  La Vergne, TNNovember 3, 2017
Once you get on your set route, it's yours until you either screw up or find a better route. Home time is good. Dispatch can be a pain, but that's expected.
Pros
Predictable route
Cons
Dispatch
Dispatch doesnt make sure you get paid
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  KentuckySeptember 29, 2017
At least once a month dispatch doesn't close out a load you finish and you have to wait until next pay period to get paid for it. I've never had a problem getting paid from any other workplace
Pros
Regular home time, dispatchers are decent
Cons
Inconsistent work, difficult runs, long days, inconsistent pay
slow
Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 7, 2017
Slow paced work enviroment, wasnt enuff to feed my family..over all is a ok place to work for to start out with..the managment was ok and the dispatchers need a little work on getting drivers their loads that pay enuff.
Pros
ok trucks
Cons
not enuff money
Driver (Current Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 6, 2017
fast paced environment not enough communication between the fleet managers drivers and customers rely on drivers to handle the any situations that occur and problem solve and issues
Pros
home every day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Star Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.