Star of Honolulu Employee Reviews

Unique Experience
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 21, 2019
You make wonderful friends, and you get paid very well, however they expect a lot from an employee.
The Star of Honolulu is a unique and cool place to work, if you have a good work ethic and you're in need of a new family, you're applying to the right place!

This job requires a lot of hard work and time, but the training is very thorough.
Bartender Training is a JOKE!!!
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 29, 2019
First off there is bad management here. The “bartenders” are very young 19-20 yrs old, management has designated these kids to train and they don’t want to. On 4th day of training one of the designated trainers told me “you will be a bar back today so you should stay out of my way” she was very hostile, rude , and disrespectful which resulted in a confrontation. The job description states “willing to learn” but when you show up ready they don’t want to train to make drinks. When complained to management they did nothing. They request the bartender to know the drink recipes within a week but all your doing is cleaning not making drinks or training to make the drinks. This is not a real bartending job and nothing you learn here will never be accepted or applied to a respectable bartending job. That’s why they advertise no experience needed. VERY disappointed!!! 4th day was my last and final day.
Pros
Easy drink menu
Cons
Trainers and management
Productive work place with flexible hours and decent pay
Performer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 11, 2019
Star of Honolulu is a family oriented productive place to work. You can make your own schedule so you have flexible work hours which is good if you are a working student.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Short hours
Underpaid job with inconsistent management
Bartender & Bar trainer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 11, 2019
Workdays are sweaty and stressful with unfair compensation. Bartenders are not paid enough for the amount of hard labor they must perform. Corporate makes it clear, and has been quoted saying, they do not care about the employees only about the guest. The owners are known to tell this to the managers in manager meetings. Servers are not required to tip out bartenders, even though the only sales servers make are on bar drinks (everything else is prepaid). Managers change every few months, I had over 6 different supervisors and managers in the year and a half I worked there. There is no overtime, they stop paying you at 8:45pm even if everyone is still cleaning and closing their bars.

The only good things about this job are the fact that you can get hired with no experience, and the people you work with. I made life long friends here, there is a sense of camaraderie based on the motto "we're in this together." The owners of the boat don't care about their employees, so the employees look out for each other.
Great and exciting place to have had the experience to work at
Photographer and Sales (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 13, 2018
An opportunity of a lifetime to work for a unique and cultural company . From working the whale watch tour to the night time sunset dinner cruise, it was all memorable and organized . The crew all knew exactly what to do and to do it quickly . The boat Captains were professional and aware of weather or traffic in the pacific . The naturalist were a plethora of knowledge about marine life.
Pros
Whale siting and being on ship
Cons
Short breaks for turn over
bar
STAR BARTENDER, STAR OF HONOLULU (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 23, 2018
ok part-time job but they pay is not great and the management changes all the time. you do not get tips and the other departments do not care or respect the bar department.
Great swimming in the pacific ocean
Captain/Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu Harbor, HIJuly 6, 2018
Was taught how to drive a boat and learned how to snorkel and free dive. Hardest part of the job was lack of pay but the most enjoyable part was swimming in the ocean for two hours.
Good for a first time job. However, Management/Boss needs to know how to treat/understand their employees and change the work environment.
Server (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 29, 2017
Pros; immediate hiring, no job experience needed, trained, and hours.

Cons; inflexible scheduling, bad management, and “customer is always right.”
Alright I Guess
Server (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 5, 2017
The Boat Was A Good Job To Begin With . Getting Passed Training And Everything . Having Awesome People To Work With . Later On Working There Things Got Rough , People Was Always Slacking Due To Favoritism Of Managment , So Other People Had To Pick Up Their Slack . The Stress That Came With This Job Too , Oh Goodness . Only Thing I Love About This Job Is My Coworkers. But The Management Need To Change . The Favoritism That Is Within These Management In Unreal And Everyone Sees It . Wouldn’t Recommend This Job To A Friend . Sorry .
Pros
Experience . Meeting New People.
Cons
Poor Management.Over Scheduled Hours.
Fun place because of the crew, terrible leadership and overall management
Crew Member on Dolphin Star (Former Employee) –  Waianae, HIOctober 20, 2017
I worked on Dolphin Star for just about a year, always had a good time with the crew and certain captains were great. The issue this company has is with favoritism in the management area. Their crew is paid terribly but they have to work very hard and very long hours. The management is paid great but it's very hard to work up from the lower positions unless certain people like you. I don't think that is how a company should be run.

They also don't allow the crew to put out a tip jar so the pay is about $11 an hour with no tips.
Cons
Breaks aren't really a thing, have to sneak off to eat secretly when certain captains are on board.
Needs to understand how to treat their employees
dinner cruise server (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 30, 2017
This is the most ridiculous place they cover and make excuses for bad and poor performing employees. kitchen staff is always making rude and perverted remarks and when you report them to management they tell you "oh wells, that's how they are". Also management will make rude and perverted remarks to not only you but your family as well such as "your mom is hot let me get her number".
Pros
Cons
everything
Good for temporary job
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 12, 2017
Awesome environment to work in because of different types of people that we encounter in the company and customers/tourists.

Hardest part of the job is covering people shift. Many employers repeatedly miss their shifts and other employers would cover their shift or sometimes there are no shift covers thus everyone works double.

Management does not have internal control. Management don't have cohesive with supervisors, employers, cooks, and boat employers in the front line.

I enjoy mostly because of the customer satisfaction in the end of the night.
Pros
Get to meet people all over the world, .
Cons
Bad management
Charter is the best department to work for. Managers in charter depart are the best.
Server (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 3, 2017
Working for star of Honolulu is hard at first but after a while you get use to it because it's the same thing every single day. Charter department is the best we have the best managers. They make work fun and easier, they encourage their workers to always have a positive attitude and think positive. This job is really good for college students because the schedule are flexible and you also learn how to multitask and to be efficient. There are a lot of Asians mostly Japanese people so you learn a few Japanese words. If your really good at your job and you give customer service then you'll also get tips.
Pros
Free food on fiday nights
Cons
None that i can think of right now
star server
Star server (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 2, 2017
I started as a star server and i left star of Honolulu as a star trainer. We cater birthdays, parties, weddings and gatherings. we take our customers out everyday to see the sunset while they are on the cruise and for every Friday night we take them out to see the fireworks. it is a three hour cruise in which it really does worth what you are paying for the great entertainments by our dancers and also the singers as well. It was a great time and experience of meeting other people across the board and other places. The greatest of them all is when they give you a souvenir to keep as a memory of taking good care of them:)
Pros
great tips
Cons
when we are slow and not too much tourists for a trip
Bad Attitudes Trickle Down the Company Ladder
Manager (Former Employee) –  Waianae, HIMarch 14, 2017
There is LOTS of turnover in this company due to poor management. Crew members barely have time to take breaks and don't even think about eating your lunch.

Owner of Company never goes out to see other entities of the company (Dolphin Star, Legends, etc.)

When Upper Mgmt is feeling stressed/angry the attitudes trickle down to crew, creates a sour work environment. Doesn't think it is possible to have no turn over for a year even though.
Pros
Seeing wildlife everyday, working alongside fun crew
Cons
Low pay, poor upper management with bad attitudes, Owner not knowing what is really happening, poor communication within Company
Very calming and relaxing
Five Star Server (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 28, 2016
My work experience at Star of Honolulu was great. I felt like I definitely knew what I was doing. Management it the foundation of working a crew. Co-workers were definitely fun and loving! Great Teamwork!!! Hardest part of the job was to accommodate the needs and wants of the customers since they were all so different. Most enjoyable part was working with my crew and meeting new people from all over the world.
Pros
Meeting new People
Cons
not being able to eat for a few hours.
Fast paced work environment, especailly once guests start boarding
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  O‘ahu, HIMarch 13, 2016
Great for someone who has, or wants, experience working on a dinner cruise. However, it is hard to advance career-wise.
Serving on a boat
Server (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 21, 2015
A typical day at the star of honolulu is wild sometimes. There is a big language bearer. So communicating eith guest can be challenging. We carry about 30 pounds of food on our tray by hand, so sometimes are shoulders and wrist do get sore.

Trying to stay clean is the hardest part because we have white uniforms and we constantly get butter, red wine, etc spilt on our shirts.

The most enjoyable part of our job i that at the end of the cruise, we get to participate with the guest by doing a few dances such as the, YMCA, Gundum Style, and water sprinklers.
Great people to work with
Asst. Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 16, 2015
Great people to work with. Good benefits. Got a lot of experience via managing the crew and also with administrative duties.
Pros
benefits and good people to work with
Cons
Long hours, average pay, and hectic work environment
Fun but very sore
waistaff (Former Employee) –  honoluluDecember 9, 2014
Pro-
*great place to gain your first wine/liquor experience
*guest dancing participation (YMCA, Hula, electric slide,etc),
*benefits: 2 free tickets for dinner cruise and dolphin cruise
*get commission off from drinks and sometimes TIPS from tourists
*they can just hire anyone

Cons-
*trays are very HEAVY like 30-50lbs and they expect you to carry trays back and forth while the boat is moving and with tourists blocking your way.

*manager got really mad at me how im not supposed to use my korean/japanese/chinese speaking skills to converse with guests. Like seriously, you dont expect tourists to understand english, its way more convenient to speak in their tongue.

*they pay per a trip, not hourly
*ALWAYS SEA SICK
*MANAGERS PLAY FAVORITISM

*ALWAYS STARVING, THEYRE TOO CHEAP TO PROVIDE US FOOD, SO ME AND MY COWORKERS HAVE TO EAT THE FOOD SECRETLY WITHOUT OUR MANAGERS KNOWING OR ELSE WE GET A WRITE UP, BUT OUR MANAGERS ARE HYPOCRITES AND EAT RIGHT IN FRONT OF US...

*UNSANITARY, WE BARELY GET TIME TO WASH OUR HANDS DUE FROM TIME RESTRAINTS
Pros
great for experince, lost weight, gain muscle
Cons
no meal breaks, sea sick, sore body

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Star of Honolulu. Our community is ready to answer.

Star of Honolulu Reviews by Location