Starbucks Employee Reviews

Found 21,087 reviews matching the search See all 26,488 reviews
overly stressful and not enough budgeted staffing
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 22, 2018
Good for a first job, but I would not ever count on staying at a job that is so demanding. As a store manager, the culture requires you to appease the baristas to a point where you can't hold them accountable because if someone quits because the job demands are too tough (which happens often) then you don't have the time or resources to get shifts covered and it takes months for someone to train.
Pros
free coffee, stock, free food, benefits
Cons
minimum staff levels at all times, minimum breaks, no break area, small back rooms, demanding customers, and very low wages
Fast Paced and Positive workplace
Store Manager / Classroom Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 22, 2018
fast paced and positive workplace. They used to strictly follow the guiding principles and mission when I started in 1998. Over time as the company grew, those principles changed a bit, along with the mission and they lost the balance when they went a little too "lean" and began asking too much with too little. High volume stores were incredibly stressful to run successfully.
Fun work place great co workers
Cashier/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2018
I liked working at Starbucks I learned a lot working there and I liked the work place the co workers where great to work with too . The hours where flexible
Great Place to work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 22, 2018
Collaboration is the key to working at Starbucks. If you come from a shove to climb environment, this environment will be a huge challenge. Consensus and communication are needed to get support for any ideas to get legs.
Pros
Free coffee
Fun workplace!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 22, 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with as well as the customers. I liked learning to make drinks and create new flavors. I would recommend this job to my friends.
Your experience is all down to your GM
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  GASeptember 22, 2018
While working for Starbucks I had a generally good experience. I've made friends there that to this day, 3 years later I still keep in contact with. The environment is excellent and all the employees have common goals with the store. My only issue is the tendency to hire outside of the company or from other stores for upper management positions. Myself and another supervisor were both being trained to take an upper position, but when the time came for the decision they moved someone from another store who had no experience with our location or employees into the role. Rather than use someone with experience who knows how to handle the employees and their work habits they threw someone in with nothing. When we lost half the employees in the store because of how they were treated by the new manager, it was clear that District level management didn't care about individuals, only numbers and profit/loss.
Nice place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Eldersburg, MDSeptember 22, 2018
Enjoyed working at Starbuck's. It was a job that helped pay for my college expenses. They worked with my class schedule. The manager was pleasant to work for. I enjoy their coffee and their food and it was fun to learn to make the different beverages.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No healthcare
I loved that they let us be us
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2018
I always opened for the store and it was a nice calm enviorment . I learned that coffee brings people together and is very universal . Management was very cool and was glad he gave me the opportunity to be a leader.The hardest part of the job was making sure each customer was satisfied while going fast pace. I loved that we could wear piercings andcolored hair and just be artsy .
Pros
Free spirits worked there
Cons
Short breaks and got hot during rush hours
Barista / Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 21, 2018
I really have no review to give in this section, just my votes. I haven't worked for this company in over 5 years. They are an okay company. Work for the benefits only.
Fun and Exciting
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Hadley, MASeptember 21, 2018
working for starbucks has had its ups and downs, however, ive met so many people within my time dedicated to starbucks. The team ive worked with for years has been the best part of working their. secondly the people you meet on a day t o day basis are all worth it. Ive met plenty of regulars id be happy to call my friends, ive even created greater bonds with a few outside of work.
Pros
The benfits
Cons
surrounded by sugar
Not worth it
Barista (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MASeptember 21, 2018
I used to absolutely love working for Starbucks. Whenever anyone asked where I worked I was exceedingly proud to say I was a barista at Starbucks. Then, management thought it would be a good idea to put a 23 year old in charge of a store. From there on out everyday became abhorrently stressful. Every shift was a nightmare and our store manager would be outback for the entirety of their shift, and we never got the support we needed. It came to a point where my hair started falling out and I had to go on high blood pressure medication. I would wake up every morning before work overwhelmed with anxiety. Every barista was getting corrective actions for the most ludicrous reasons and every barista that the previous managers hired were either fired or treated so poorly they willingly left. Also, calling out isn't an option, baristas and shift managers are written up and/or fired for being sick even though in the state of Massachusetts it is illegal. Save yourself the stress and stay far away.
Pros
free coffee, tips
Cons
poor management, stressful environment
Stressful workplace
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MASeptember 21, 2018
You never really felt secure in the westgate drive location in Brockton. The district manager lacked management skills. The most recent store manager lacked empathy. I have been separated from the company for about a month now and I’m still getting contacted by the store manager about issues with the stores social media page. Even making requests for me to handle things with it. Since I have left the company a solid portion of the core team has either been pushed out of their job due to stress, or fired even over a phone call. Steer clear of Starbucks at least in the state of Massachusetts.
Pros
Bias training, free coffee, weight loss due to stress
Cons
No work life balance, no time off, being contacted outside of work hours, no job security
Barista (Former Employee) –  La Crescenta, CASeptember 21, 2018
Fast paced, think on your feet type environment. great job to introduce company life. Very flexible with availability. Management was fair. Strict Corporate policies.
Fun work plAce
Cahier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCSeptember 21, 2018
Nice easy pace. Cool ,calm and collected
Ability to work effectively under time pressure and for long and extended hours
Ability to multitask
Diligence and dedication to work
A good memory and an eye for details
Vast knowledge of different wines and spirits
Ability to understand different kinds of people
A keen observer
Great sensitivity to the needs of others
A friendly, cheerful, and polite attitude
Experience in preparing salad and other appetizers
Decent job after you graduate high school
Barista (Former Employee) –  Forney, TXSeptember 21, 2018
I worked at Starbucks over the summer after I had graduated high school, just before moving off to college. Management and staff were decent. Several of the shifts were a little self-righteous, but I survived.
Fun to work at starbucks. Meet new people.
Barista (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
Starbucks is a welcoming location to visit on daily basis. Working at Starbucks brings you new experience with people from around the world. The best prt about working with Starbucks is know you are in charge of making the drink that will satisfy the customer for the rest of the day. Management was great, she was very patient and welcoming would love to have a boss like her again.
Pros
Discounts, meet new people
Cons
Bad location
With the right manager can be a nightmare or a dream
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZSeptember 21, 2018
As the Summary states. Some managers can render the job unbearable and bestow all of the actual labor on you as your shift supervisor "counts milk gallons" all night or it can be a dream boat where everyone does their station well and cooperates. There typically is no in between.
Pros
Great company. Free Coffee. One meal item per shift, Good atmosphere
Cons
Prone to manipulative coworkers, Manager dictates how smoothly things run ultimately, Some shift supervisors are lazy
Stressful, but Good Benefits
Barista (Former Employee) –  Whitehall Township, PASeptember 21, 2018
I did love working for Starbucks and I absolutely adored my coworkers, who I am still very close friends with. Most of the customers are very friendly and genuinely appreciative (especially the regulars, who were always amazing and I miss dearly). The benefits and discounts were great, which makes it such a great job for college students. Although, it was often extremely busy, stressful, and chaotic. I have felt dizzy, faint, nauseous, and have cried out of frustration multiple times. I have felt much better physically and mentally after leaving. However, I do love the company and I would like to work for Starbucks again in the future, but probably not in the position I held previously.
Pros
Free drinks, discounts, benefits, coworkers
Cons
Environment, management, work/life balance
Good company, but bad manager and lack of advancement.
Barista (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 21, 2018
I currently work at Starbucks. Although I enjoy being a barista (I used to be one at a smaller coffee shop), I do not enjoy being a barista at Starbucks. Quantity and sales are put at a higher importance than quality, so drinks are inconsistent.
My manager doesn't schedule properly, so shifts are left uncovered, many people get off at the same time leaving only 2 people to run the store for an hour or two at a time, they go on vacation constantly or show up late and leave early to their own scheduled shift.
My biggest complaint is that Starbucks does not promote from within. There were many people qualified to be promoted to shift supervisor at my store, but someone from a fast-food restaurant was hired. How is he supposed to supervise the baristas when he doesn't even know the policies and procedures? I am the one teaching him!
I have a Bachelor's degree but have the same position and salary as those in High School. I'm currently looking for a career, so this is just an in-between job.
I believe my experience would have been more positive if management was better, or people cared more about customer service and making people happy rather than just showing up and getting paid.
Pros
Free food and drinks, markouts, discounts
Cons
Pay, low tips, outside promotions
Fast-paced
Barista (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 21, 2018
I would highly recommend this job to anyone who could deal with the stress and physical demand of this job.Being able to make connections with your coworkers as well as customers is the most rewarding part of the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

510.9K

3.2InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight