Starfish Family Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive work environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIJune 26, 2018
During my time with Starfish Family Services, I worked as a district substitute. The diverse environment all had similarities based of the High Scope curriculum. It was easy to work in different schools and diverse environments with this company.
Pros
Great sense of community
Cons
Short breaks
Committed group of people
Early Childhood (Current Employee) –  Inkster, MIJune 11, 2018
Most everyone employed at Starfish are committed to making a difference in the lives of our families. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people and relationships formed through the work.
Great nonprofit
Community Outreach Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 7, 2018
Starfish is a nonprofit that really loves and focuses on the community. Working there definitely had its pros, there were not many cons because I was a part-time intern.
Pros
Free lunches
Curriculum specialist
Curriculum Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dearborn MiApril 11, 2018
Awesome place to work! Very productive and fun. I would highly recommend working here. administration is great . family environment. professional development always available.
Pros
Working with teachers and administration
Cons
no cons
Great Place to work
Bus Aide (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIJanuary 29, 2018
I've worked this job for almost 10 years I loved the people who worked their and the love and empathy that they show everyday to their children and families.
Amazing Place to work!
Head Start Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 29, 2018
Starfish is an absolutely incredible place to work. They not only care about the families in their program, but give the same respect to their employees! Benefits are awesome, staff is incredible, and if you are hard working, you will get noticed!
Pros
Positive work environment.
Cons
No pay in the summer.
Fast Paced
Clinical Group and Intern Development Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 5, 2018
Starfish strives to provide excellent services to the members of the communities they serve. They expect high performers and commitment to the field.
Starfish a great place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Inkster, MIOctober 20, 2017
This agency has great leadership and supports its employees. Starfish strives to have an outstanding culture and is invested in creating the best work place in metro Detroit.
Pros
great environment
Cons
non-profit
Room for advancement.
Assistant Teacher/ Parent Liaison (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MISeptember 26, 2017
Fast pace job. Plenty of room to advance with schooling and trainings. Catering to families and very diverse. The hardest part of the job was not knowing the grant for you program would be renewed. The most enjoyable part of my job was working the children and their families.
Pros
Working with the community.
Cons
Possiblities of being fired at will.
Great Place to Work!
IMH Therapist (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 22, 2017
I loved working for this agency! They are very supportive of their staff and invested in the clients and their communities. The agency is constantly expanding and there are opportunities for advancement. The hardest part of the job was work/life balance and finding time for self care.
Assisting Student In The Registration Process
Bus Aide (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIApril 24, 2017
1. Assisting students in enrolling into college

2. I learned that with a little assistance one can accomplish their dreams.

3. The team at WCCCD was Great.

4.The most enjoyable part of my job is when you are able to assist a student with a financial aide issue which seems frustrating to them but simple to you. The gratifications behind in is heart warming.
nice place
MIHP Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIApril 11, 2017
Everybody is nice, the benefits are great, and you get direct weekly supervision. I had a nice time while I was there. If you are new make sure you get training immediately and don't slack.
Pros
free supervision, benefits, management
Cons
at will 90 day trial period
Client orientated environment
3rd party Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIApril 11, 2017
The administration really cares about staff and allow them to put family first. The expectations are high and staff work hard. They are working on improving the work environment and promoting a more positive communication style.
Pros
Client focused
Cons
Some staff behaviors are allowed to go too long
Strong Advocate for the community
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIApril 5, 2017
Very good work environment. Friendly staff and management team. They help a lot of families in and out of the community. I wish there was more funding for their programs.
This is an awsome place to work.
Support coordinator (Current Employee) –  Inkster, MIApril 1, 2017
I have been very fortunate to work for this agency. I have nothing bad to say about them. Currently they are looking to increase compensation and benefits which is a good thing.
Pros
Great place to start your career
Cons
a lot of driving if you work in the community
Empowering people, high quality programs
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Inkster, MISeptember 9, 2016
I've been at Starfish for 11 years. I started as an assistant and worked my way up to a specialist type position. When you work hard you get noticed! I've had many opportunities to grow and learn. I feel very valued. The quality of the programs are amazing and beneficial to families. The agency will hold employees accountable for not following policies and procedures but offer plenty of trainings so you know what to do. If you are highly motivated then I recommended Starfish Family Services.
Pros
Great work hours, empowering people, good benefits
Cons
Laid off in Summer for teachers
Rewarding and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant and Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIApril 4, 2016
Review my agenda for the day. Reports, intakes, needed in the classroom.

I learned about grants, funding, start-ups of new programs, audits.
People of all backgrounds.

Management was great. Helpful, good listeners.

Making sure you expect the on expected.

Watching the children and families grow.
Mismanaged
HOME-BASED CLINICIAN (Former Employee) –  Wayne County, MINovember 13, 2015
The supervisory team as a whole is cliquey and many of them can be completely rude. They are often non-supportive and blaming when things are outside a clinician's control.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great children/families but bad place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  inksterAugust 17, 2015
Working with families and children was enjoyable and I felt like I was really making a difference in some of their lives. However, the department I worked in is a mess. You will get no information on what you should or shouldn't be doing and then will get threatened for not doing things "the right way". My boss had no idea what was going on in my classroom, she couldn't even name my students and I would go entire weeks without seeing her once. But she had no problem observing the room for 30 seconds and then telling me to change everything I was doing. Some people are able to do whatever they want and others get yelled at for the same exact same things. Everyone blames each other for every little thing, there is no team work. You constantly feel like you're under attack and you have to defend everything you do. It's a miserable and stressful work environment.
Pros
Decent work hours, paid vacation days, working with children/families
Cons
everything else
excellent workplace
Residental Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Inkster, MIJanuary 20, 2015
great place to volunteer to get a human service or social work resume built and to get a job here is amazing! Great people and amazing experiences. The staff is so helpful and will help you develop your career well. It is certainly a place I love to be at.