Starlight Behavioral Health Services Employee Reviews

Stressful yet meaningful work.
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVNovember 2, 2018
Stressful yet meaningful work. Management was great. Low pay and poor benefits. No room for career growth. Plenty of opportunities for overtime however.
Horrible Management and lack of communication
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVAugust 24, 2018
When i started here i was optimistic. Yet when i learned the ins and out of the company. The only thing that was semi worth it was some of the clients. Communication with management was impossible, even when major problem arose. Pay was horrible, with false promises of raises.
Pros
easy work days
Cons
Everything Else
Clients are great, management is awful
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJune 16, 2018
Loved my clients, all great to work with minus a few that have no business being out in the community. They need to get a whole new set of staff in the office who knows what their doing then things could possibly be better. The pay wage is awful, and the annual raise is a joke. Constantly getting called to fill shifts because they can't keep staff.
Pros
Good clients, ability to get out in the community
Cons
Management, shady, greedy
Workplace Culture
Internship (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVApril 4, 2018
I loved having the experience of field hours at Starlight Behavioral Health. The staff and teachers were great and made me feel welcome from the beginning. It was a great experience.
Rude awful plave to work when due to management
DCS (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVMarch 12, 2017
Only goog thing about this job is the clients the management is awful
They don't do there jobs and they will curse u and scream it is a very unprofessional place of employment I have never worked for such trash
Pros
Clients
Cons
Everything else
Great company to work for
Direct care staff (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVJanuary 9, 2017
The people are great to work for. They have activities for the kids and employees. The pay is excellent and the benefits are also awesome. They are caring and loving staff.
enjoyable going to clients home and community
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVAugust 23, 2016
I worked at Starlight Behavioral Health Services for five years. My day consisted of helping develop life skills, community outings and doctor appointments. I learned to be a team player, compromising with clients, staff and management. My co-workers were great. We helped each other problem solve and compromise time with each client. They made the day better and time passed quickly. Management declined 2-3 years ago. I started under a different Waiver director and it was about the clients. Now, its about how much money they can make off each client and pocket it.
Pros
happy clients, great co-workers
Cons
Management, greed
Lack of Communication between management-staff
DIRECT CARE STAFF (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVAugust 14, 2015
-provided compensation for on the job driving

-horrible communication between the support staff and management;

-scheduled me to work shifts with clients that I never trained on or job shadowed; I quit because they scheduled me to work with two clients, without training, during a night shift alone when one client was already having behaviors and I am tiny. I was uncomfortable and felt unprepared/unsafe

-called me a lot to fill shifts because they can't keep people - so either feel bad for saying no or go and have a crazy schedule (I guess that's okay if you can/need the hours)

-I was never sure who my supervisor was; thought my supervisor was one person who hadn't been with the company for months!

-Loved my client but needed more routine and couldn't have that with the lack of staff that the company had; resulted in more issues for client. If your heart is in the job, the work is really rewarding and is needed.

-I learned crisis intervention, CPR, first aid, use of behavior support plans
-on the job- I learned how to effectively deal with my clients issues using reward systems; staying calm during their fits is important as well
Pros
gas compensation; rewarding; worked around school
Cons
bad communication; scheduling; lack of staff
reviews
direct care staff (Former Employee) –  west virginicaJuly 9, 2015
productive work environment for health care that offers hands on experience. you typically can work in the home with someone else so it makes the day easier.
Pros
work iin home so you can eat whenver
Cons
having difficult clients and sometimes management
Terrible management and business practices.
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVFebruary 7, 2014
The clients can be really fun. But the management there are sleazy and incompetent.
A very enjoyable atmosphere.
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVAugust 26, 2013
Days with this company can vary. Some days can be really smooth and laid back and others might be really fast paced. I've learned to adapt to every working situation that I am given. When trying to find an enjoyable workplace, it also helps for management to have great communication skills, and they have done just that. Now that I have been switched to working in the natural family homes, I have less co-workers to associate with. Depending on the individual, some may think that this may have it's ups and downs. I honestly couldn't identify anything that is physically too hard to deal with when working with this agency. Emotionally, it can be very difficult to have to see some if not most of your clients dealing with their everyday physical or mental disabilities. I would consider the most enjoyable part about working with this population would be knowing how much of a blessing you can be to another individual.
Pros
Flexible hours
Starlight
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJuly 10, 2012
You are responsible for MR/DD clients. You basically hang out with the client and help them when they are physically unable to do the task. You add encouragement to their goals. You only see co-workers in passing, from your shift to theirs. Management is sloppy at best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starlight Behavioral Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4