STARS Behavioral Health Group Employee Reviews

Avoid at all costs
Private (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 8, 2018
Avoid this place at all cost. Management is horrible, show favoritism and have absolutely no clue what they are doing. Unrealistic standards, lack of support, NO work life balance. The corporation itself is unorganized and change policies daily. You are not provided adequate tools or training to do your job, and expected to work after buisness hours. Whatever it takes model only applies to staff and not management. If your looking for somewhere to make a difference with your clients this is NOT the place.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Long hours, poor compensation, low morale
Client centred
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Joshua Tree, CAJune 8, 2018
I came here because one of their employees kept telling me about examples of how client centred they are. From the day of my interview I felt that they were very real. It really feels like a team and there is a lot of collaboration and support.
Pros
Teamwork
poor management
ex worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 4, 2018
poor supervision, no supervisor during group supervision. Poor feedback when wanting to do better or learn something new. Poor management skills and just do the bare minimum for the workers. High demand on saving money, and making billable hours and poor customer service to clients. Not a huge emphasize on client care. No training on customer care just training on the bare minimum of topics to say that you are trained. Poor training on DMH standards, questionable ethical standards to client care and documentation and completing time sheet. It was really sad and it's the same reputation all cross the board in all facilities in the state.
Pros
the clients
Cons
the people you work with
Overall negative work place -Fresno
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Central starsApril 16, 2018
Initially, during the first 90 days, work environment appears to be great, however, management struggles with organization, knowledge of program, are not open to feedback regarding changing their program, high emphasis on productivity and clinicians are told to be "creative" ( unethical media cal billing.) HR has been observed to gossip about employees, has expressed confidential information to other employees . Low pay, stress levels are high, case load of 25-38 clients, tension in between colleagues and supervisors, employees often dread going to all staff meetings and being around one another, employees leave when given the chance elsewhere, no opportunity for growth, no licensed clinicians on staff because they leave once licensed.
Pros
mileage reimbursement
Cons
work load, compensation, poor management
Stars wears a mask of caring about staff, but it's all about the bottom line
Clinician (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAApril 15, 2018
As an exempt employee, you expect that your responsibilities might not always fit perfectly into a 40 hour work week. But the responsibilities should "generally" be able to be met with a 40 hour work week. I found the case loads increasing during my time there and the demands to meet productivity by doing billable activities increasing, while other non-billable responsibilities grew. Clinicians found themselves having to work late nights and weekends and almost everyone who wasn't brand new complained about the lack of work-life balance and unreasonable demands. They have a reward system for everyone who meets productivity for 3 straight months, of a little bonus. When they announce who earned the bonus, there have been only a small handful of people--like 3--who have simply met the standard consistently. This is out of 25 or 30 clinicians. If it was reasonable, then the majority would be doing it. Instead they are quitting. And the management has meetings about how much they care about clients and staff and want to have a great team environment and encouraging clinicians to vote for the company as a "Great Place to Work," but ultimately, all of those great words of encouragement don't amount to much and the environment is still fairly toxic. They hire good people and then the culture there molds those good people into supervisors who are pressured to address issues around billing, productivity, accounting deadlines for progress notes and things related to the good old bottom line, rather than addressing clinical issues related to client care.
I realized that most
  more... weeks, I was working well over 50 house per week and, toward the end, probably 60. My supervisor gave me sympathetic nods and just told me that everything needed to be done.
This is a great job for someone who wants to be a martyr.
Pros
Helping people, lovely office manager, nice co-workers
Cons
No concern(aside from words) for well-being of employees, too many hours
Stars Behavioral Health Group is a great place to work!
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 30, 2018
Stars Behavioral Health Group nurtures its talent and provides FREE professional growth and development. Management is very eager to teach to those that are eager to learn! They have been certified as a Great Place to Work and I can definitely see why. The organizational culture mimics its mission statement and core values. Partnering with people for positive change- both externally as well as internally collaborating talent and innovation companywide!
Pros
Room for growth!
Horrible place to work
Former member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 28, 2018
Poor leadership team. They lied to you from the start.about benefits and extra perks, You have to read fine print. Leadership team is passive aggressive and can bullies towards staff that are not favorites. unclear direction. staff not treated equally. Poor professionalism among leadership team. Leadership team has poor boundaries and expect staff to work after hours. stay away. Many staff are are miserable
Pros
young people
Cons
poor leadership team.
amazing to work with
Mental Health Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAJanuary 23, 2018
education, helpful and team building. provides great education,. experience and guidance. Lets you be independent while also offering constant support when needed,. a collaborative team process
Stressful
Recovery Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJanuary 16, 2018
Stressful and toxic environment. Required to perform several tasks at once, building genuine relationships with residents is difficult due to the amount of tasks given and expected to complete.
Lack of managment, support and pay.
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Reseda, CAJanuary 6, 2018
Stressful place to work at. No support, all the company care for is productivity, insensitive management. Poor pay, bad hours, lack of training, no support and bed work environment/ bulling.
Pros
Cons
Everything!!!
Crooked management team, negative work environment, work 60+ hours/week with no overtime pay, and lack of support
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 29, 2017
Stay away from Central Star Community Services in Fresno, CA. Crooked management team and unfriendly staffs. It is a very negative work environment that will cause you to be depressed and make you dread to go to the office especially the one on Merced street. You will also be working numerous amount of hours on weekdays after your 8 hours and on the weekends all unpaid because according to the supervisor it's called "exempt employees." This workplace is the definition of workplace bullying.
Benefits
Cons
Crooked management team, unpaid numerous amount of overtime hours, and no support.
Official response from STARS Behavioral Health Group
February 6, 2018

We appreciate your bringing this to our attention. We would ideally like additional information so we can fully investigate this claim. We invite the reviewer to call our anonymous tip line at (866) 782-7722 to provide more details. That said, as stewards of the county’s taxpayer dollars, we are responsible to assure that our clients receive responsive services. Successful team members are flexible, adaptable and astute managers of their time. Licensed clinical Therapists are exempt professionals in California. Oftentimes, assessing and providing other clinical services to those dealing with mental illness may not nicely pack into a 40-hour week. Our standard of care is to do whatever it takes to ensure our clients receive the best services possible, where and when they need it. Our kind of work is not for everyone, and it takes a special, unique individual to care for the County’s most challenging clients. Thank you for sharing your experience, as we appreciate our staff’s input – whether it’s good or constructive feedback.

Great company if you are a hard worker
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Compton, CADecember 2, 2017
Working in teammates is much like being in a family. As long as you work hard and seek out your supervisor when your having challenges, things work out fine. There has been lots of changes in administration lately and they are holding people accountable, which made my job easier. It's refreshing to see that they want to create a culture where employees each carry their own weight. Yes the productivity is expected, but it is only a fraction of other places I have worked. They try to offer trainings that apply to our job and we get a stipend every year for outside trainings. The hardest part of the job is the driving. There is lots of driving involved, but it is all worth it when you see your kids grow and graduate from the program. I love my supervisors and would recommend this place to my friends.
Pros
Flexible schedule, free food occasionally, put on free community events
Cons
Lots of driving
Stressful and messy place to work
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CANovember 15, 2017
This place has adults that act as clients and still act like they are in high school. This place is always under staffed and they would rather continue to be under staffed than pay overtime. Management does not care about the staff and rarely steps on the floor to see what the staff or the clients need. There is a high turnover rate and everyone seems miserable. There is zero consistacy in dealing with staff and clients. There is zero structure and when you try to emplement some you get in trouble.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
To many to list
Good Employer
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 6, 2017
Management cares about employees and treats them very well. Job performance evaluations are fair and give employees opportunities to improve in areas needed for success
Pros
Goo Work Environment
Cons
Pay and benefits are light
Good company
Recovery Specialist/ data entry (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 10, 2017
Overall this company is a good company for what they do. If you do not have a CDP or CDPT you can not go far. This was a goid opportunity to further my education in the field i desire in my future.
Pros
Fixed hours
Cons
Not flexible
Productive workplace
Peer Family Advocate (Current Employee) –  Yucca Valley, CAJuly 4, 2017
What I have accrued through STARS behavioral health group are different approaches to a variety of different encounters with the ease of learning to meet clients/fellow staff where they are. Management seemed to be considerate and caring in understanding the needs of the team as well as being able to provide client's within the community a view of hope whether it's providing warm meals, a place to nap or by counseling services free of charge along with psychiatry and providing staff on duty with a feel of direction in client care. The obstacle with this position are trying to provide for clients who are unwilling to advance themselves toward recovery, recovery comes in small steps, and at times it is difficult to take the first step. Trying to find a motivator can be at times difficult because the client will often focus on the pain and hurts instead of the solution and what it takes to get there. The most enjoyable parts would be to see the small successes in which I have felt the team had made a difference in a client's life to which every resource had been utilized correctly and in a timely manner, which is the most rewarding.
Pros
Agency parties, agency incentives, paid mileage, health care benefits
Cons
N/a
Fast pace and enjoyable.
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJune 26, 2017
committed to a full-time position, third shift. Working for STARS has rewarded me with everlasting memories of clients and caring staff. Great place to be employed.
Really fun place to work and great team
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 13, 2017
I started here as a receptionist and have already advanced in a year to a program coordinator. Opportunity for growth is always available and this company has no problem cross training you if you are willing to learn. Aesome perks! Very transparent management that allows to grow and feel appreciated. No micro managing!
Pros
Fun staff, perks, works with school, cross training opportunities
Cons
Can be low pay but there is quick opportunity for promotions
Great place for advancement
Clinical Training and Consulting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 28, 2017
This is a large organization with many opportunities for professional growth and advancement. There is a supportive team of managers and supervisors and a variety of positions.
Benefits
Chaotic dysfunction at its finest
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAApril 20, 2017
The upper management has high expectations of its employees which is understandable if we only knew what these were. We get reprimanded for not doing what we are supposed to which is confusing because we are not told what it is we are to be doing in the first place. They care about the bottom line...how much can we bill for the clients and if you do not make productivity they write you up. No positive reinforcement no support its a joke.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Employees low pat for what we do

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STARS Behavioral Health Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight