Starz Entertainment, LLC

Starz Entertainment, LLC Employee Reviews

United States49 reviews
I had many great experiences at Starz and significantly increased my skill set. The company does a great job focusing on its employees and pays well.
I went from a top employee to being forced out by a manager who had a beef with me from a previous job we shared. He preferred working with men vs women. Starz has had massive layoffs in Denver and is not secure.
A low ceiling for advancement. Troubling personalities in management with a lack of honesty or frankness. A recent history of purges, consolidation, management changes and poor programming choices has made Starz a very, very dark place to work. Everyone is always waiting for the hammer to fall. I cannot recommend it, though there are some fine and talented people working there.
Overall, it had been a good place to work when I was there but as time went on, people got more and more complacent which is like a plague. If your co-workers aren't happy, they complain and pretty soon unhappiness has spread like a virus through the entire department. This was the case, and no one in management was able to remedy this. Then the LA office treated the Denver office like we had no idea what we were doing. The mentality was if you're not living the LA lifestyle, you're a clueless country bumpkin. Then we started to feel like robotic button pushers and it was only a matter of time until LA got their way and the majority of our department was axed.
Pros
good budgets for needed tools, healthcare, cable stipend, on-site gym and cafeteria
Cons
CYA actions in management
Really did not interact to much on the employee level. From the contractor's point of view it was a good contract and they were supportive and welcomed my input
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
I absolutely love working here. The Broadcast Engineering team is simply outstanding. They are all highly knowledgeable in their respective fields and great people all around. My boss (and his boss above him) are extremely organized so I always know what's expected of me. Most of the time, my tasks are spelled out in detail so I know precisely what to do, which is just ideal for someone like me. I just can't say enough good things about my managers, my team, and the overall company culture.
I took a chance coming here as the pay was a bit less than what I was making before. But after a couple of years, I now make about 20% more than I was making before. Obviously, the gamble paid off. This company rocks!!! My only regret is not working here earlier in my career.
I think the company is doing the right thing for how the whole industry is moving, the teams and departments I worked with were great and helpfull, I'm glad I had this experience.
The company and crew worked very hard and were overall courteous to everyone around. They ensured everyone stayed safe and was attentive on set. They did everything they could to take care of the employees.
Worked as a intern, it was a great learning experience and they encourage cross department collaboration. Management was kind and worked well with me. manger above my manager could be a bit rude to people like me so low on the totem pole.
Pros
Subsidies Lunch, great office, nice people
Can't say anything bad about the company with the exception that initial PTO is only 2 weeks. Excellent management, surrounded by very strong technical people.
I enjoyed every minute of my time with Starz Entertainment. The internship program was exceptional! As an intern, I not only worked in my department, but I was subjected to weekly classes in which we learned about the various departments within Starz and the functionality of the entertainment business while having the opportunity to meet and engage with leaders within the company.
The company as a whole provides a great place to work. The location in Inverness is far from the beaten path, but the environment is great.
The hardest part of the job was finding a balance of why I was hired then my VP left when the incumbent VP had a different vision. The value my role provided was not realized and I became bored.

The work, when provided to me, was fantastic. The development group worked on bleeding edge technology which was exciting.

Free popcorn everyday was a nice little thank you. I appreciated that little tidbit.
Pros
Benefits and Corporate Culture
Cons
Location was a drag - 1.5 to 2 hrs to get to and from home
Starz was a great place to work they delveloped their employees and offered a great place to learn and grow! They offered the flexibility of making travel for work convenient by offering options for hotels and airlines of the employees choosing.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Lots of travel
Starz was a great place to work. It was a fun, yet professional environment. Fast paced, with lots of variety. Advancement was limited, but lateral moves were common.
I started working here when it was a smaller company, but they have grown and been bought by Lion's Gate, so the work environment is different and rather tenuous at the moment.
Constantly there is talk of "we could all lose our jobs tomorrow". Management in satellite office does not appreciate those in the Denver office. This makes for a very toxic environment.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management
Friendly people, lots of changes, interesting work, no identified company values, workplace culture is changing, ask lots of questions, IT helpful, great benefits
Pros
cafeteria onsite, racquetball courts and gym onsite
Cons
location
Great company for fans of excellent TV, but incredibly short term contracts, and a slightly disorganized office environment., as they are in the process of moving offices.
Typical day was competitive
I learned publicity and corporate communications

Management was friendly

culture was entertaining

relationships with clients and affiliates
Pros
Lunch room, covered parking and workout room
When the CEO moved to the California office credit was no longer given to those who did the work but the CA employees ran with it. We made them look good. Hope they're surviving. Terrible PR department and the head of that team bullied many.
Benefits
Cons
If you take a job here, get ready for your career to hit the skids. There is no room for advancement and the management in LA runs the place like Kim Jong Un. It is absolutely deplorable how they treat their employees with such disrespect. Someday Lionsgate will realize the lemon they bought is dying on the tree.
Pros
You can still run away.
Cons
Career deathspiral
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starz Entertainment, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight