State Auto Insurance Companies Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Place to Work
Claims Learning & Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 9, 2018
State Auto is a really good place to work. They pay well, have great benefits and care about profitable growth. Very family oriented place to work and everyone has a voice in decisions that are made.
Build/ Release Engineer
Build/ Release Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 26, 2018
• Implemented Infrastructure automation through Puppet, for auto provisioning, code deployments, software installation and configuration updates.
• Worked closely with Development Managers to fine tune the release process and provide feedback on
process improvements.
• Redesigned and re-implemented the DNS infrastructure to reduce complexity, improve performance, simplify administration and facilitate deployment automation.
The Des Moines Claims office is a joke
Sr. Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 17, 2018
The people are bitter and gossip about everyone. So much petty drama in this office. Management won’t and can’t do anything about it. The work load is insane and each week a process changes and no one tells you about it until you show up on a blacklist for not doing the new process which no one told you to do.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
High work load, petty people.
Horrible management- bullying rampant.
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 1, 2017
Management bullies employees.
Discrimination is rampant. Managers racist and homophobic.
There is no reason to use HR as they will do nothing to help.
Top talent is being fired for small infractions.
Pros
None.
Cons
Workplace discrimination, bullying, unmanageable workload, incompetent management team
Very Challenged Organization
Commercial Insurance Division (Former Employee) –  SE United States - NashvilleJune 30, 2017
Major changes in the management structure has resulted in negative impact on personnel in many areas. Profit sharing bonuses have been few and far between with a consistent Combined Ration running over 100 (currently over 109).

Management can talk a good story, but results speak for themselves. The old State Auto and loyalty to their employees long ago departed.

High pressure in commercial underwriting leads to a tendency to not wanting to hear the truth about accounts, instead sometimes hoping it will improve.

The company's changes have caused them to lose top talent, and unless things change, it will continue. CYA

The lack of any dress code may be popular with employees, but it paints a picture of unprofessionalism when dealing with outside stakeholders, especially when top and middle State Auto management are involved.
Pros
Nice cafeteria at Home Office. Decent benefits (401K, insurance, vacation)
Cons
Management inconsistency, marginal Human Resources support during times of problems, unable to fully trust management
Great culture, and management leading an adaptive and competitive company.
Actuarial Technician-Homeowners Pricing (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 29, 2017
At State Auto, every corner your turn finds you a smiling face, and that is the same perspective we have with sharing out our product. Promoting ethics and morals in a business that is often considered scandalous, the agent driven platform is still relevant because it customizes to the insureds needs.
Pros
Free Parking
Fun place with supportive colleagues
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 25, 2017
Work day - lots of meetings and interactions with key stake holders

Learnt a lot more about identity and access management

Excellent work culture

Gathering data was the hardest part

Meeting people
Solid work
Farm and Ranch Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 15, 2017
I have worked her for three years. You are always able to say busy. There is travel involved in my position. There are some issues because a lot of people are over worked
Claims Department in Transition
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 19, 2017
There has been major reorganization going on for the last couple of years. There is no job security, and newer employees regularly just quit coming to work or get fired with no warning. Upper management is completely out of touch with the front line, and has created a very stressful atmosphere in which morale has bottomed out. The training has been non-existent (although they are trying to improve). You are assigned claims from all over the country, without any instruction or guidance on the state laws or claim handling requirements for many states. It's frustrating for the adjusters, and terrible customer service. They have outsourced claims recently, and it is suspected they may outsource the entire claims operation if results don't turn around, as they've been horrible for years. Very scary, and unsettling for all who work there. I can say that many of the employees are some of the most dedicated, intelligent and good people you can find.
Pros
Good benefits. Free or paid parking.
Cons
No job security, no training, no trust in management.
You were assigned claims by the office manager, and it was based on your position you had.
Claims Specialist II/Claim Representative I (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 9, 2017
At State Auto everybody knew what their position required. Sometime you have to help where it's needed other than your normal job function.
Pros
Everybody go out for lunch together
Cons
Sometime you work through your normal lunch hour.
Hostile discriminatory work environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 21, 2016
This company has been suffering from high turnover. I quickly discovered the reason after only a short time of being employed there. There is no support for new hires. You are left to fend for yourself. Senior employees gossip about senior leadershiip to new hires. No faith in leadership. Senior staff gossip about how this company is doomed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Unorganized company. Low employee moral. Gossip
Effective Team work environment
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 16, 2016
A typical day consists of handling 3-5 new claims and processing pending clams to move to a resolution as quickly but also as thoroughly as possible. Time management and organization and 2 skills that are essential to being a successful claims adjuster at any level and I have continued to develop those skills in addition to my knowledge of policies, tort laws and the insurance industry as a whole to expand my understanding as to how many position effects and is effected by other departments within our company.
Home grown company turned corporation
Data/System Analyst (Current Employee) –  columAugust 11, 2016
Very solid company that is continually re-organizing to provide more profit for shareholders. They generally care about their employees; however, they do have to make tough decisions sometimes.
Pros
training, growth, pay
Cons
ongoing re-orginization, off-shoring of IT functions
Major boring place to work.
Operations Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioApril 28, 2016
Hired into a fantastic work environment. Slowly changed to very dull place. Been very dull for about 10 years now. Moved data facility to Delaware stand alone building. Feel like I'm not part of the team anymore.
Working at State Auto was like being part of a family.
Personal Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, OHFebruary 3, 2016
A typical day day at work was mostly answering the phone to help agents with quoting/reviewing policies for issuance as well as doing my own reviews for cancellations or policy changes. We had weekly and monthly reports to do along with monthly agency visits. No one day was exactly the same as the other. I learned early on not to take things personally and to remain professional. Management was good....some better than others of course. But I think they all did the best they could. I feel I got along well with my co-workers. We would share pertinent and helpful information to help us do our job well and would also be willing and able to help each other.

For me the hardest part of the job was helping a disgruntled agent or insured. I found the best way to handle it would be to most importantly LISTEN to what they were upset about and then do my best to solve the problem. If it was something I really couldn't do anything about I would tactfully explain that to them. It wasn't easy but I ususally managed to leave the conversation on a good note.

The most enjoyable part of working at State Auto was meeting and getting to know a lot of wonderful people.
on the contract position
Development of Automated Test Framework (Current Employee) –  columbus,ohAugust 23, 2015
It is great experience working at this location.nice team to work with with lots of fun.great work life balance here.great work life balance here
Great team environment
SENIOR PERSONAL INSURANCE UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 22, 2015
I enjoyed being part of a team that worked well together, providing excellent customer service to co-workers, management, and customers (agents).
It is what it is
Desktop Support Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 30, 2015
State Auto can be one of the most either one of the best places to work or the worst. It really truly depends on who you work under. I enjoy working with people in all of the offices we service. That is one of the best things about what I do, however, some people do not follow protocol and try to go over your head with "needing" things.
No future here
IT (Current Employee) –  ColumbusJuly 14, 2014
Benefits keep getting cut. Bonuses disappeared. IT department being outsourced to India.
Pros
Free parking downtown
Cons
Culture changed. Lots of layoffs. No future
Does great work in the community!
IT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 28, 2014
Best job I have ever had, I walked out everyday feeling good about the people we helped and the people I worked with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State Auto Insurance Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

State Auto Insurance Companies Reviews by Location