State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 8,920 reviews matching the search See all 9,056 reviews
Stressful job
Claims Associate - Auto Claims (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 18, 2019
Call center is high-paced. Metrics do not balance with Customer Service ethics or company inspired slogans. Management will let you know you are doing something wrong, but they do not support you when you ask for additional training. High employee turn over rate.
CEO wants to make company the best company to work for and appears to be encouraging, however lower management does not seem to care about individual employees.
Pros
Getting to help people
Cons
Metrics too stringent
A disappointment at best
Claims Adjuster/Agency (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 4, 2019
A company with a great name but unnecessarily stressful work environment. Opportunities for advancement is given to the manager's pets opposed to actual qualified employees. The team managers usually have limited to zero knowledge of claims yet have the audacity to critique experienced reps' work. The pay was NO WHERE NEAR worth the headache you had to deal with on the daily. Whether it comes from management, lazy coworkers that you have to correct or do extra work for, or the consistent change of daily duties due to the constant consolidation of departments. The benefits are cool.
Once your in claims that is where you stay.
Bodily Injury Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 8, 2019
I have been a bodily injury claims specialist for almost two years. I have been prevented from putting in for other positions. The only positions to move to are lateral positions or management. Currently I'm not to move into another lateral position, due to business needs. If you fine with just working in claims, then State Farm is good for you. However, I wanted to have the opportunity to change positions and cannot.
productive and fun workplace
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Santa Paula, CAJanuary 21, 2019
Work was amazing to go everyday Monday though Friday from 9am to 5pm. There was great management and they pushed us to study for our licenses. I took the test once didn't pass but wanted to retake again but i had to move and leave this great job.I really wanted i stay there to accomplish all the opportunities i had there. If i get that opportunity again i would focus twice as hard and want to help my community out to make sure they have the best insurance for themselves and others.
Pros
free lunch on Fridays
Cons
n/a
Great Place to work
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Now Nebraska, I think eventually ArizonaJanuary 2, 2019
State Farm had the opposite problem Blue Cross had, no one quit working at State Farm, they retired from State Farm. It was a very pleasant place to work and many opportunities for advancement. State Farm believed in making the employee happy to make a better worker. They worked with the employee to help the growth of the employee so they could advance and take advantage of the opportunities available. It wasn't just all about the numbers, they wanted a quality too.

State Farm had a good IT department too. Where Blue Cross had a very poor IT.
Pros
Management, It, support for employees, pleasant atmosphere
Cons
Moved out of State.
Poor Work Culture and Management.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 8, 2019
I worked there many years, always trying to make changes for the better and never realizing my hopes. In fact, it consistently got worse. More top-heavy, more controls, less interest in the actual business, more fear and domination from upper management, fewer incentives. Autocratic and bureaucratic leadership structure destroys the "SME", ie, value add employee, leaving an empty house of cards ready to cave in on itself. No core value left, nothing but an empty brand name for inane commercials.
Summary of my State Farm Experience
Insurance Agent/Producer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 19, 2019
The agent that hired me know me through my position with Acceptance Insurance. I was hired immediately because of my experience and abilities however, the managing agent was rarely around to train me in the programs necessary to be a SF agent. She was rarely in the office and left me to train myself. I was initially informed that I would have 4-6 months to acclimate myself with the programs, yet was discharged after 2 1/2 months. The information I received during my interview and my first 2 weeks of training was not accurate to what transpired.
Pros
Relaxed working environment.
Cons
No training regiment and deceptive communication with employees.
Poor Culture & Managment
Claims Adjuster I (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 22, 2019
The workplace culture is awful and the turn over is high due to the way people are treated. Tenured employees are terminated or quit due to new management. The job is not enjoyable and difficult to watch people come and go for no reason. A typical day at work depends on where you work, manager, and the team. State Farm operates daily regardless of your tenure or skill set using threatening management techniques. Employees walk on egg shells daily in fear of losing their job.
Benefits
Cons
Reorganization
Poor management, claim quota
Medical Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 8, 2019
The executives were completely disconnected from what was needed to be done. What was once a customer service focused environment became essentially a factory. Overworked and underpaid staff, management who only wanted to look good in front of higher up executives, and the training was abyssal. Time clock system that gives points so management can fire you for no reason.
Pros
Decent pay after you prove yourself
Cons
Very poor management
Intense, ever changing environment which requires focus to achieve exceptional outcomes.
Auto Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJanuary 2, 2019
While employed I learned about claims mitigation and arbitration.
Time with management was minimal, though I took advantage getting to know my manger during 1/1. I developed a very good work relationship with all my managers. The workplace culture is targeted to a much younger group of people that don't necessarily display work ethics I grew up with.
The hardest part of my job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was learning and pleasing the customers.
Pros
Flex schedules
Cons
Schedule change too often
THings are chaging
Auto Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 29, 2018
I used to love working for the company. Even after they announced they were moving I still enjoyed myself. As the move was implemented and we started to feel the effects of new staff things changed. Quality of work changed, expectations changed, attitudes changed.

We became increasingly more focused on quantity instead of quality and that was a difficult change for many of us who had been proud that the company cares about its customer's experiences as well as the employees.
State Farm provides an exceptional work enviornment.
ILR/Consumer Loan Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GADecember 31, 2018
State Farm is an excellent Company to work for. The Company provides work life balance and superior opportunities for career advancement through structured resources and mentorship programs. I enjoyed working with State Farm and a typical work day was very manageable. Management was opened to feedback. I don't think the job was difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job was my team members and internal and external customers/clients.
Pros
Work-Life balance and structured programs for career advancements.
Cons
Enjoyed the State Farm Culture. Pros compensated for any cons.
Growth opportunity good if willing to relocate, rigid environment
Trainer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  MarylandDecember 31, 2018
It takes a lot to get recognized and there is a tough management development process in place for leadership opportunities. This may have changed since they lost much of their seasoned employees during multiple reorgs in the past few years. It is also a ridge environment that many people find difficult - phone monitoring, constant evaluation of phone calls, time clock with rigid point system.
Positive work environment with great management
Licensed State Farm Agent Sales Team Member (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXJanuary 2, 2019
Sales at State Farm has taught me how to balance many tasks at once. I have learned how to prospect and build relationships with potential customers that develop into clients. I have also learned how to care for current clients by evaluating their needs to see which product or products fit them best. Management on all levels is consistent and encouraging.
Pros
Positive company culture, paid days off
Cons
Short breaks
Not the same company it was
Auto Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAJanuary 5, 2019
State Farm offers great benefits and pay. Front line management is typically very good. Upper management is questionable. The company is in the process of restructuring their claim model from a highly customer focused environment to a high volume call center environment. Over the past few years the staffing has been inadequate to keep up with production goals and provide the type of high quality service State Farm built its reputation on.
Pros
Pay, benefits, front line managers
Cons
Understaffed, very difficult to meet customer need due to staffing.
Amazing company culture and commitment to the insured
Innovation Intern (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 9, 2019
There is a culture at State Farm that promotes collaboration throughout the entire enterprise with the goal of providing the insured with the best possible product and experience. I was often approached by employees of multiple levels of the ladder when they recognized a new face in the building. I felt very welcome and learned a great deal during my time with State Farm
Pros
Relaxed work environment, Young culture, learning evironment
Cons
Central Illinois location
Claim professionals Avoid
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 12, 2019
State Farm has changed a great deal in the years I have been employed here. This company is no longer concerned with their customers but due to poor management and lack of direction are now only concerned with churning out poorly handled claims as fast as they can. Leadership at all levels are actively attempting to protect their jobs and place blame for the problems their claim department are suffering upon the employees. This company is to be avoided by anyone other than those trying to begin a career in claims.
Constant Change
Insurance Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 19, 2019
Technological advances causing constant change within the organization, with many staff reductions over the past several years. The company as a whole is forward thinking when it comes to diversity and inclusion and constantly encourages their employees to be the best version of themselves. They offer on-site community college classes, tuition reimbursement, 401k AND a pension plan, and much more in the form of benefits.
Pros
Employees are fun and encouraged to provide innovative ideas
Cons
life/work balance is not the best
Wasn't very impressed
Auto Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 17, 2018
There were extenuating circumstances throughout the entire training process which changed the entire role I applied and was hired for.
Too much instability and change to properly train and prepare the agents.
Great company but way too harsh in their expectations when it came to the quota or SLA needed to be reached.
If Sate Farm really wanted their customers to feel cared about, we (employees) would have needed more time to file a full claim without cutting corners to save time.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, annual gifts, kind people
Cons
Scrutiny on performance/numbers daily, changed managers and procedure too often
Pick your Agency wisely
Licensed Representative (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 2, 2019
State Farm is a great company to work for. The advertising is everywhere and the brand has a good history. Pick your Agency wisely. Some agents are aggressive in sales, others are lax. All are small business owners trying to make it. Office culture depends on agent’s involvement and management. Do your research and Pick your Agency wisely. Environment is everything.
Pros
9-5 schedule, weekends off, commission
Cons
No medical benefits or 401k

53.3K
42.6K
31.9K

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight