State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 9,418 reviews matching the search See all 9,560 reviews
Great company to work for
Underwriting Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 23, 2019
I enjoyed my time at State Farm, it was just time to move on. Worked with a lot of great people and learned a lot about the insurance industry. Met some people that I will be friends with forever.
Typical Call Center Job
Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 23, 2019
Typical Call Center Job; a pro would be the benefits package although there's only 2 options for health insurance plans; cons would be your ever changing schedule, lack of management/engagement, poor culture (no team building or personal mentor/development), no opportunities for advancement within, and the mandatory overtime.
Pros
Travel Discounts
Cons
High call volume, poor retention
Good work environment with a good work flow
Casualty & Property sales (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILApril 23, 2019
Was given enough leads to call customers cold and hot and if you need to renew you license, they will pay to get it renewed. My office was close to my house and my boss and co-workers were great
Not bad
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 23, 2019
Good for introducing yourself to the insurance industry, but the pay compensation should reflect the cost of living and the stressful demands of the job. Moving up isn't easy when there is a freeze on your department.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Low pay
good company if you work corporate
Agent Team Member (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAApril 23, 2019
if you get stuck at a local agency tough luck..
no benefits maybe okay commission but state farm isn't competitive therefore some months you wont get much commission and hourly pay isn't all that great...
Cons
no healthcare benefits
Yuck
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Concordville, PAApril 23, 2019
This place is no good. They stink and are not for their people. All they care about is numbers and fast pace. They push their people out the door. People give two weeks and State Farm ask them to leave early.
Basically, you can fall over at your desk and they wont care.
Pay is low compared to other companies, they make you come back from your vacation early to work, you are a worl horse. And watched like a daycare, on the phone & computer.

Do not work here
My Experience with this particular Agent
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 23, 2019
(My personal experience ) I applied for a job position advertised that I would make at least 50k a year, Lies even with commission I’d be looking at about 25k. From what I have heard Pay varies agent to agent, However I feel like I invested time and money to get my P&C license to make if not less or equal to my previous job in sales. Definitely not worth it. The agent I worked for provided little to no training, I am commission driven and never cared about the base pay as-long as the commission structure was good, However the fact that a big company like state farm takes it upon the agent to train new “specialist” and doesn’t offer a training program definitely interferes with the ability to succeed. You also don’t get any benefits of any sort like 401k, Dental or Medical.
Cons
No benefits, No room for advancement within
Highly Productive and Controlled Environment with Nice Facilities
Claims Adjuster, Licensed - Multi State (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 23, 2019
>SF is a highly productive company that expects excellence 24/7.
If you don't expect to contribute; don't work here. They speak on work life balance but with the understanding that SF's 1st! They go though a series of frequent "Attrition" where you soon learn, not to be at the bottom of the list. So, work hard and take in all the training necessary to do your job proficiently & take on new experiences.
>Recommend- work hard for SF showing no sign of independence or entrepreneurship regardless of a commitment to show your "brand". It means show your band within the confounds of SF structure.
>Tip- don't let management dictate how far you can go or not go because in time all rows may be reversed; including management, so be ready for an ever changing environment; duties, tasks and reporting.
>The most enjoyable part of the job- flex time (if you can get the hours you want) great benefits & bonuses. It also included a nice contemporary work place with atrium,cafe shops & great places to eat in the area.
Pros
Compensation & Incentives to perform
Cons
Highly controlled environment
It's not how it used to be
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 22, 2019
I never loved my job here, but I tolerated it. This was until about mid 2016-2017 when things took a drastic change and now I almost hate my job. They no longer care about the employees, the processes are outdated and unorganized, management isn't great, and it seems like even Human Resources leaves you out to dry when you have true issues. It's very stressful and for certain areas the outlook for advancement is poor. You feel trapped looking at a screen and maybe tethered to a phone all day. The morale is low and no one in the higher positions seem to care although they frequently hold meetings to "listen to your concerns." There is no true employee appreciation and it feels like you can get fired at the drop of a dime for nothing. There seems to be no balance when it comes to professionalism as you are belittled by management, agents, and peers and there is nothing that you can do about it. We are expected to juggle several different roles and responsibilities with no raise in pay (for instance, quality). As of right now, unless you are looking for a quick job, I wouldn't recommend State Farm especially if you are looking for a lasting career.
Pros
PTO is easy to take, the Richardson office has many different amenities
Cons
pay, management, morale, advancement opportunites
Great Company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 22, 2019
It was a great company to start off at in regards to auto insurance companies. Nothing, but great experiences working for State Farm Auto Insurance.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Busy
It's all about the agent
Insurance Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOApril 22, 2019
Do some research about the agent before you go to work for them. Working for a slacker agent could make or break your insurance career. Many of them don't want to train you to be an agent, they want you to sell for them for as long as possible.
They will tell you what you want to hear and tell you about all of the money you can make as an agent...but they don't train you to be anything more than a telemarketer.
Pros
company name recognition
Cons
Agent is MIA when they should be training
Best Insurance Company By Far
Sales Rep & Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNApril 22, 2019
State Farm is the only P&C&Life Personal Lines Insurance Company not tied to any publicly traded debt. All the others are directly tied to shareholders, or are a mutual company owned by a larger corporation with shareholders and organized under an insurance holding corporation (i.e. "Umbrella Corporation"). When you buy a mutual state farm policy it's the exact same thing as buying a share of stock in a different company. There are no shareholders. The policy owners are literally the owners of the company.

I could go into all kinds of details after working for two other large insurance companies as to the massive shift in focus and culture this makes (or breaks) a company with, but I'll spare you the hyperbole and keep it simple---State Farm is the only actual insurance company that exists---they're the only one who place their ethical obligation the insured's above all other priorities.....

....and that's why they're the only insurance company that functions properly that you can work for and simply go to work expecting to be able to do your job.
Pros
Everything works. Some software platforms, or methods for submitting apps, might be a little outdated, but old school simplicity is why it all functions properly.
Cons
None. There is nothing any competitor does better than how State Farm does it.
Would not reccomend working here
Mortgage Loan Processor Lvl 2 & SME (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 22, 2019
Structure study removed over half the staff. Promises of advancement are rarely fulfilled, and are completely subjective. If you need a temporary position, a job here will pay the bills, but try not to get stuck here, you will never advance.
worst job I ever had
Sales (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXApril 22, 2019
Had lots of promises given to me that never happened, It was a constant battle with the owner/agent. Never received any training or help. It was basically hurry and get certified and make me money. What have you done for me today situation.
Overall
Receptionist/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 22, 2019
During my time with the company I noticed how much drama can occur & how vindictive people can be. This is mainly the issue that stems from competition that should not even exist between coworkers.
Nice place to work
Insurance Producer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Grove, NJApril 22, 2019
Nit very competitive salary, & not many paid days off, not employee benefits, However is a reliable job & stable job, mayor holidays off, i had the best boss but pay wasn't good for my needs
Loosely managed
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAApril 22, 2019
8:30-5 daily. You must complete service and sales work individually. Leads are internet based as well as depending on referrals. Not much marketing unless you paid out of pocket.
Worked for an Agent in his office
Office Manager/Customer Service, part-time (Former Employee) –  Hazel Crest, ILApril 22, 2019
My position was in an Agent's office. I was responsible for answering calls, solving customer issues, taking claims and payments and other general customer service dur=ties.
Management does not listen to Employee feedback
COMPLEX CLAIMS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  DuPont, WAApril 21, 2019
There is no attempt to accurately balance claims adjuster's schedule to a balance of tasks and incoming calls. This leads to excessive build up of tasks, causing mandatory overtime (the last period of mandatory overtime was over 1 year continuously).

State Farm does not attempt to adjust work life balance off of employee feedback, and only focuses on what corporate believes to be an acceptable balance.
Pros
Good benefits, 401k with matching
Cons
excessive breaks, mandatory overtime, no schedule flexibility
exiting place to work
Agent Member (Former Employee) –  Bellflower, CAApril 21, 2019
What made State Farm a great place to work was, there was always something new going on in the office; no two day were ever the same. Unfortunately I could not survive on the pay.
Pros
Great agent to work for
Cons
benefits and pay

53.5K
42.7K
32K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company.

Powered by Comparably