State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 9,502 reviews matching the search See all 9,641 reviews
great place to work
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 22, 2019
loved it here. nothing but good things to say. the only thing is once you are in a position it is very difficult to move to a better one. but pay is great
Overly corporate
IT (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMay 22, 2019
Manager was in a different state, worked there a almost a year and spoke to her one time. Watched employee pool shrink weekly as they moved people out of state and back filled with contractors. Job was not fun, was not fulfilling, felt like a cog in a machine that had little purpose. Management completely disconnected from reality of operations.
Pros
Casual wear
Cons
Wi-Fi throttled, cellular throttled. I couldn’t even get a message from my wife with full service on my phone.
Decent job
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 22, 2019
The hours in this position are extremely flexible. The work isn't difficult but is tedious and customers can be stressful to deal with at times. State Farm makes a strong effort to treat employees well and diversity is celebrated within the company. Have overall had good experiences with the management with a few individuals as an exception, though I do not blame the company for their actions. The work does not follow you home- once you've clocked out, you won't have to think about work until you clock in for your next shift which is really nice.
Pros
flexible hours, decent hourly rate
Cons
strict supervisors
Great job opportunity
Client Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia Heights, MNMay 22, 2019
The company was awesome to work for, small agency with a small team and large client base, lots of work to keep busy but enjoyable clientele and experience overall.
Great palce to work
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAMay 22, 2019
I enjoyed working with state farm, all though the rates made it a bit difficult to close a sale sometimes. State farm has amazing customer service but saving money is the number one most important goal for almost every consumer now days.
Pros
State farm has the best customer service
Cons
State farm is one of the highest insurance rated companies
Productive and fun place to work!
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 21, 2019
There were very good employment benefits, and a very productive work place environment. I enjoyed working there in the computer room on the night shift Sunday-Thursday from 12am-8am!!
Pros
Quiet night time work shift!
Cons
It was hard, changing my shift. It was difficult, to work on the day shift in line before me
no review at this time
Catastrophe Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 21, 2019
no review at this time, i was a contract employee working for a contracting firm, i assisted policy holders during an hurricane event with their insurance claims,scheduling inspections, and assisting them with any questions concerning the claim or the contractor estimates in order to help process the claim.
Pros
no pros
Cons
no cons
Claims turned call center
CLAIMS ADJUSTER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 21, 2019
This used to be a noble place to work, but its since changed. Glamorized call center, poor work environment due to the caliber of associates and a benefit package that has been chipped away. If you want to work insurance, I'd shoot for other companies or going independent. This company has killed itself and its name as a great place to work for the next 90 years.
Pros
Job security, location of office, unlimited over time
Cons
Caliber of work associates, micro management, constant changes
Great Company
Life/Health Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 21, 2019
The company was growing in the Richardson area. It was booming but at that time, I followed my heart to North Carolina. It was traditional call center environment, with great benefits, relaxed atmosphere.
Okay
ILR Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMay 21, 2019
Okay, if you really need employment. Strict and stressful. You're in a cubicle and is always on the phone. If you like that type of environment this is the job for you.
Pros
Employed
Cons
Hourly salary is much due to all the stress
Wonderful place to work with lots of room for bonuses.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 21, 2019
I worked here for nearly 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I started in customer service and after some time I decided to get my licensing so that I could sell a variety of insurance products. I liked getting to know my clients and having the ability to build personal and professional relationships with them.
Fun and laid back place to work
P&C Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 21, 2019
An exciting place to work with a great work/life ratio but if you are looking to advance or make use of your time there it feels like you are wasting your time. I do see people moving up and being successful but the people who I see put in the time and the hard work are not seen or heard.
Pros
Great incentives
Cons
You are a pawn
Going Downhill Quick
Auto Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 21, 2019
State Farm used to be a wonderful job, a place that few people wanted to leave. Since, a reorganization that consistently shifts around work, a practice of ignoring their employees and always being understaff has opened the flood gates. Their Columbia MO office continually loses extremely talented and qualified workers to other carriers and industries. Their replacements are always untrained and unchecked - bad employees are kept around with no punishment or changes.

Sector Managers don't seem to care. They hide in their offices all day long with an occasional visit to a stand up. When concerns are brought forward, they go no where; SMs won't concern themselves with employee problems until they become a problem for the SMs. Front line managers, TMs, do what they able to most of the time but their hands are tied too.

State Farm, like many companies now, have prioritize profits (mutual company so money stays with SF) over all else. Employee satisfaction decreases every day. Instead of attempting to get to the root of the issue, they just schedule another food day in hopes that pushes the unresolved issue down the road.

The Columbia office is a wasteland. It's half empty, no cafeteria, no life. Most jobs are being placed in their corporate location in Bloomington IL or one of their hubs; Atlanta, Dallas, or Tempe. If you have a job in a location not listed above, you know you'll to, at some point: transfer, retire, or wait for a settlement. A job at any location other than those four is a dead-end job. There is zero chance of development or promotion. But again, they
  more... don't care; those locations are being phased out.

That said, if you are willing to transfer, there is job security. There are opportunities in other locations. But for how long? Who knows. They had another location in Tacoma that was going to be a long term spot. But after hundreds of people transferred, moved, and bought houses; State Farm decided to close the building.

I can't speak for life in their corporate or hub locations but I'm assuming the job satisfaction is higher. I do know that there is high turnover. People are leaving for higher paying jobs, people leave because they're untrained, people leaving for better companies.

After all that, I do hope State Farm rights itself. I have a lot of friends still there and want them to succeed. Plus, I'm counting on them to keep hoarding that money for my pension.
I loved the office i worked in
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 20, 2019
My agent was wonderful. He was always helpful and kind. I learned a great deal. If it were not for life being hectic I would still be working for him. This is a great company to grow at.
Cons
No healthcare
Family l/team atmosphere taking care of our customers was our priority.
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMay 20, 2019
I was very happy at State Farm and my co-workers and bosses were great! I especially loved our interaction with our customers and the relationships we built.
Pros
Business luncheons and customer appreciation week
Cons
No benefits
N/a
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2019
Great company for my 1st assignment in insurance. Kind and friendly staff. everyone was knowledgeable and willing to help the new comers. Would be willing to go back if the opportunity presented itself.
Productive professional work environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDMay 20, 2019
State Farm was a very professional work environment with a fast paced crew of employees. Everyone took their job seriously and were determined to give the best customer satisfaction in the business. As an intern the hardest part was acclimating to the already established work environment. I was in charge of setting meetings for the agents and helping the owner of the office with any tasks he might need assistance with. Overall it was a great learning experience and I enjoyed my short time with the company.
great place to work
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2019
state farm is an great place to work overall , i enjoyed my time spent with company, fast paced call center ,alot of resources and help, some manger where there to help
Pros
45 min lunch break, great health benefits great pay
Cons
micro management
Its a great place to work.
CEO/Owner (Current Employee) –  CalifoniaMay 19, 2019
I need a company with higher earning potential. Its a great company to work for. with me joining the team in October we are hitting record sales numbers.
Great company for work for. Always something new to learn.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 19, 2019
The company is great. It was the agent that left a lot to be desired. Some agents are better than others to work for. Unless your intent is to work in the call center then the only other option is to choose an agent. Generally speaking the hours are M-F 9-5
This is a very fast paced environment. You will be taking payments over the phone and in person. Other times you will be providing quotes over the phone and in person. There are times when a customer calls with questions regarding their bill. This requires researching the account. Through -out the day documents must be scanned & attached to be uploaded to the regional office. Customers will come in or call making changes to their policy. There will be customers who are moving to the area you will need to contact. Paperwork needs to be filed. Usually the day is very busy , non stop but the time goes very quickly! There is always something new to learn. Each day is different .
Pros
Very busy. Weekends off. Plenty of paid holidays off. Always something new to learn.
Cons
Very busy! A lot of work through-out the day

53.5K
42.7K
32K

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight