State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 9,410 reviews matching the search See all 9,551 reviews
It's not how it used to be
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 22, 2019
I never loved my job here, but I tolerated it. This was until about mid 2016-2017 when things took a drastic change and now I almost hate my job. They no longer care about the employees, the processes are outdated and unorganized, management isn't great, and it seems like even Human Resources leaves you out to dry when you have true issues. It's very stressful and for certain areas the outlook for advancement is poor. You feel trapped looking at a screen and maybe tethered to a phone all day. The morale is low and no one in the higher positions seem to care although they frequently hold meetings to "listen to your concerns." There is no true employee appreciation and it feels like you can get fired at the drop of a dime for nothing. There seems to be no balance when it comes to professionalism as you are belittled by management, agents, and peers and there is nothing that you can do about it. We are expected to juggle several different roles and responsibilities with no raise in pay (for instance, quality). As of right now, unless you are looking for a quick job, I wouldn't recommend State Farm especially if you are looking for a lasting career.
Pros
PTO is easy to take, the Richardson office has many different amenities
Cons
pay, management, morale, advancement opportunites
Great Company
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 22, 2019
It was a great company to start off at in regards to auto insurance companies. Nothing, but great experiences working for State Farm Auto Insurance.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Busy
It's all about the agent
Insurance Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOApril 22, 2019
Do some research about the agent before you go to work for them. Working for a slacker agent could make or break your insurance career. Many of them don't want to train you to be an agent, they want you to sell for them for as long as possible.
They will tell you what you want to hear and tell you about all of the money you can make as an agent...but they don't train you to be anything more than a telemarketer.
Pros
company name recognition
Cons
Agent is MIA when they should be training
Best Insurance Company By Far
Sales Rep & Office Manager (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNApril 22, 2019
State Farm is the only P&C&Life Personal Lines Insurance Company not tied to any publicly traded debt. All the others are directly tied to shareholders, or are a mutual company owned by a larger corporation with shareholders and organized under an insurance holding corporation (i.e. "Umbrella Corporation"). When you buy a mutual state farm policy it's the exact same thing as buying a share of stock in a different company. There are no shareholders. The policy owners are literally the owners of the company.

I could go into all kinds of details after working for two other large insurance companies as to the massive shift in focus and culture this makes (or breaks) a company with, but I'll spare you the hyperbole and keep it simple---State Farm is the only actual insurance company that exists---they're the only one who place their ethical obligation the insured's above all other priorities.....

....and that's why they're the only insurance company that functions properly that you can work for and simply go to work expecting to be able to do your job.
Pros
Everything works. Some software platforms, or methods for submitting apps, might be a little outdated, but old school simplicity is why it all functions properly.
Cons
None. There is nothing any competitor does better than how State Farm does it.
Would not reccomend working here
Mortgage Loan Processor Lvl 2 & SME (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 22, 2019
Structure study removed over half the staff. Promises of advancement are rarely fulfilled, and are completely subjective. If you need a temporary position, a job here will pay the bills, but try not to get stuck here, you will never advance.
worst job I ever had
Sales (Former Employee) –  Big Spring, TXApril 22, 2019
Had lots of promises given to me that never happened, It was a constant battle with the owner/agent. Never received any training or help. It was basically hurry and get certified and make me money. What have you done for me today situation.
Overall
Receptionist/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 22, 2019
During my time with the company I noticed how much drama can occur & how vindictive people can be. This is mainly the issue that stems from competition that should not even exist between coworkers.
Nice place to work
Insurance Producer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Grove, NJApril 22, 2019
Nit very competitive salary, & not many paid days off, not employee benefits, However is a reliable job & stable job, mayor holidays off, i had the best boss but pay wasn't good for my needs
Loosely managed
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAApril 22, 2019
8:30-5 daily. You must complete service and sales work individually. Leads are internet based as well as depending on referrals. Not much marketing unless you paid out of pocket.
Worked for an Agent in his office
Office Manager/Customer Service, part-time (Former Employee) –  Hazel Crest, ILApril 22, 2019
My position was in an Agent's office. I was responsible for answering calls, solving customer issues, taking claims and payments and other general customer service dur=ties.
Management does not listen to Employee feedback
COMPLEX CLAIMS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  DuPont, WAApril 21, 2019
There is no attempt to accurately balance claims adjuster's schedule to a balance of tasks and incoming calls. This leads to excessive build up of tasks, causing mandatory overtime (the last period of mandatory overtime was over 1 year continuously).

State Farm does not attempt to adjust work life balance off of employee feedback, and only focuses on what corporate believes to be an acceptable balance.
Pros
Good benefits, 401k with matching
Cons
excessive breaks, mandatory overtime, no schedule flexibility
exiting place to work
Agent Member (Former Employee) –  Bellflower, CAApril 21, 2019
What made State Farm a great place to work was, there was always something new going on in the office; no two day were ever the same. Unfortunately I could not survive on the pay.
Pros
Great agent to work for
Cons
benefits and pay
Way too micro managed
Claims Associate Auto ILR (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 20, 2019
The job itself wasn't too bad. The management is what killed it for me. My supervisor was a stoner, incompetent, and would never help with any questions. The company will also fire you that day if you put in your 2 weeks notice or even hint to someone that you want to work elsewhere. The training was adequate but involved far too much roleplaying, wasn't very helpful.
great company
Phone Entry Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXApril 20, 2019
great employers, happy work place, good break times and benefits. employees are happy and excited to be at work everyday. I thoroughly enjoyed working for this company.
Former Employee
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 20, 2019
I had worked for State Farm for 33 years in the claims department handling auto claims. It's a very stressful position at times. Recent changes have not affected the job positively for Adjusters. Our office closed due to restructuring.
I recently took a position with another company and all I can say is that State Farm is miles ahead on training,, Making sure that the employees maintain a professional appearance whether they are in person or on the phone. The computer system for claims handling is amazing and I didn't realize how lucky we had it until I went to another company and saw their archaic system. I'll give State Farm credit because they have the wage system set up to where employees can make overtime for their work as opposed to be in salary. I was salary when I started and we then changed to time cards. The best thing that ever happened it allowed me to make almost 20000 and more a year with overtime. So yes State Farm has some faults that they need to work on due to recent changes but over all I would rate them higher than several of the other companies out there.
Pros
Money, benefits
Cons
Stress, some managers
INTERN (Former Employee) –  ArkansasApril 19, 2019
They were very flexible with my hours, which was a huge help. Everyone there was very friendly and willing to help me learn as an intern. I loved it there!
Great learning experience
OFFICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILApril 19, 2019
Learned a lot about the professional culture. Helped me become a reliable employee that is eager to help others. The boss truly cares for you and will help you grow as an individual and a professional.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great boss
Not understanding
Office Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 18, 2019
Im not interested in reviewing my current employment. There are too many different departments and offices for my review to be accurate. Refer to the star rating
All depends on your manager
UX Designer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 18, 2019
I’ve had some good years under a great manager. It’s amazing how team dynamics can change with leadership. Now there’s a constant anxiety and fear, the term “pressure cooker” used often.
Love it or leave it
Licensed Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXApril 18, 2019
The best part of working for State Farm is the family atmosphere and learning something new every day. The employees help each other and find reasons to celebrate. Conversely, upper management made a decision to consolidate the work streams and our responsibilities doubled....without any added compensation. Morale changed dramatically and there is a sense of feeling used.....a take it or leave it environment.

53.5K
42.7K
32K

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

74%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

59%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss