State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 9,398 reviews matching the search See all 9,538 reviews
Way too micro managed
Claims Associate Auto ILR (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 20, 2019
The job itself wasn't too bad. The management is what killed it for me. My supervisor was a stoner, incompetent, and would never help with any questions. The company will also fire you that day if you put in your 2 weeks notice or even hint to someone that you want to work elsewhere. The training was adequate but involved far too much roleplaying, wasn't very helpful.
great company
Phone Entry Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXApril 20, 2019
great employers, happy work place, good break times and benefits. employees are happy and excited to be at work everyday. I thoroughly enjoyed working for this company.
Former Employee
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 20, 2019
I had worked for State Farm for 33 years in the claims department handling auto claims. It's a very stressful position at times. Recent changes have not affected the job positively for Adjusters. Our office closed due to restructuring.
I recently took a position with another company and all I can say is that State Farm is miles ahead on training,, Making sure that the employees maintain a professional appearance whether they are in person or on the phone. The computer system for claims handling is amazing and I didn't realize how lucky we had it until I went to another company and saw their archaic system. I'll give State Farm credit because they have the wage system set up to where employees can make overtime for their work as opposed to be in salary. I was salary when I started and we then changed to time cards. The best thing that ever happened it allowed me to make almost 20000 and more a year with overtime. So yes State Farm has some faults that they need to work on due to recent changes but over all I would rate them higher than several of the other companies out there.
Pros
Money, benefits
Cons
Stress, some managers
INTERN (Former Employee) –  ArkansasApril 19, 2019
They were very flexible with my hours, which was a huge help. Everyone there was very friendly and willing to help me learn as an intern. I loved it there!
Great learning experience
OFFICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILApril 19, 2019
Learned a lot about the professional culture. Helped me become a reliable employee that is eager to help others. The boss truly cares for you and will help you grow as an individual and a professional.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great boss
Not understanding
Office Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 18, 2019
Im not interested in reviewing my current employment. There are too many different departments and offices for my review to be accurate. Refer to the star rating
All depends on your manager
UX Designer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 18, 2019
I’ve had some good years under a great manager. It’s amazing how team dynamics can change with leadership. Now there’s a constant anxiety and fear, the term “pressure cooker” used often.
Love it or leave it
Licensed Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXApril 18, 2019
The best part of working for State Farm is the family atmosphere and learning something new every day. The employees help each other and find reasons to celebrate. Conversely, upper management made a decision to consolidate the work streams and our responsibilities doubled....without any added compensation. Morale changed dramatically and there is a sense of feeling used.....a take it or leave it environment.
Solid Employer
INSURANCE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 18, 2019
Besides work politics great place to work and good benefits including a pension, which most companies no longer offer. The rules and regulations can be strict and unyielding.
family environment
Multi-Line Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, GAApril 18, 2019
good to work if you're really wanting to get into the insurance biz and if you don't mind calling & being on the phone all day or bringing your work home.
Pros
ok to work
Cons
no work life balance
Relocation
Payment Specialist; Subrogation, Auto Claims (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 18, 2019
I enjoyed working for State Farm in the earlier years. Then management decided to relocate many of the positions to other locations.

My job had choice of relocation to keep my job or look for something else. Very stressful.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Cliques
Was a great place to work long ago
Property/Casualty Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHApril 18, 2019
I feel so sorry for the poor folks that work there now.
I know they are all just hoping to make it to retirement without getting fired for accruing too many 'points' for being late from lunch or
going to the bathroom or whatever. My gosh...I can't imagine working in such abysmal conditions.

When I worked there it was bad enough, most of us in our department were on anti anxiety medication and anti depressants just to get through. Those that worked hard were rewarded with more work. Those that didn't, just seemed to get away with it. White males and minorities seemed to fare the best. It was very strange.

If this is indeed the 'way of the future', no thanks. This culture of watching your every move, measuring your every keystroke is so very 'Handmaid's Tale'.
Could be better
Agent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 18, 2019
My years with State Farm were very beneficial to learning how to effectively run a business as well growing in a competitive environment. However, the job itself is very competitive and stressful. Since State Farm is normally not the lowest insurance company cost wise, it did make it difficult to make sales when the quote we were offering was 50 to 100 more a month on a car policy. The brand however, is definitely worth the normally increased premium. State Farm is number 1 in Auto and Home for a reason. The position as agent is extremely stressful as your first year is the only thing guaranteed. Otherwise the opportunity for growth and advancement I feel are unlimited.
Pros
Easy schedule to work with, great pay, great beneifts
Cons
Stressful work environment, High rates, Highly Competitive
Great Opportunity
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 18, 2019
The management is supportive in making sure you obtain any goals you set yourself - the sky is the limit! They always had multiple opportunities to move up and learn more.
Bad Culture, Life Insurance or Die
Sales (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXApril 17, 2019
Culture is lost and agency is a cutthroat environment. Really wish State Farm would reward P&C more than life but it is what it is when your home insurance rates are so high.
good
Claim specialist (Current Employee) –  FLApril 17, 2019
Overall a good place to start out, great if you are in a Hub. Otherwise not much advancement opportunity. There is alot of change right now in the company.
Great Company
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAApril 17, 2019
This is an awsome company to work for. It comea with great opportunity as long as you are willing to put forth the effort. Its hard eork but totally gratifying.
Good team
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Redford MIApril 17, 2019
I'm not a salesman. It was a good office with good culture, but the type of work was not for me. I don't like reaching out to my friends for sales, but my co workers strongly advised it.
Pros
Flexibility in office
Cons
Chasing sales
No longer a family
Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 17, 2019
Culture has changed dramatically in the past 20 years. Multiple restructurings and layoffs, this company now has too few people to get the job of automating tasks done. Desiring to be a top competitor, shedding workers before our internal technology was developed has set this company behind our competitors. Doing more with less only works when the CEO pays attention to timelines and reality, rather than $$$ from the management incentive program.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Noise, arbitrary decisions
Office Representative
Office Representative (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 17, 2019
Diversity and inclusion is central to everything we do. It’s evident in every relationship we have – within the workplace where all associates are treated with respect and dignity, across the marketplace by how we interact with our customers and suppliers, and in the community through charitable giving and community service.

Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in how we value relationships, how we conduct business, and how we lead our organization.

53.5K
42.7K
32K

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

74%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

59%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss