State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews in Bloomington, IL

Found 525 reviews matching the search See all 8,664 reviews
Manager, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 13, 2018
Historically State Farm has been a good employer. They cared about their employees from potential advancements (within), family, and work life balance. Good benefits and retirement is a part of being an employee. But like many companies changes will take place and depending on how long you were there..... something will change.
Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, IL 61710November 11, 2018
I love working at State Farm. They have been very military friendly and that helps for a busy national guard member. My boss is a hero and she makes work fun. Highly recommend!
Company in upheaval
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 5, 2018
State Farm is undertaking dramatic changes and reducing its workforce. These changes took its entire workforce by surprise due to lack of communication from the CEO. It will take the company some time to rebuild employee relations and reestablish culture. Work/life balance allowed varies by location and department - experience can be positive or extremely negative.
Family oriented
Secretary II / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 5, 2018
During my career State Farm was a Family oriented company. My fellow employees/peers that I worked directly with were like an extension of my family. We all worked together to get whatever needed to be done completed timely.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Leaving was not something I would have chosen.
Used to be a GREAT place to work.
INFRASTRUCTURE ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ilNovember 1, 2018
What was formerly something to be proud of is now plagued with low morale, unbelievably terrible leadership, forced use of Agile methodology across the board even when it becomes a hindrance for teams. Forced relocation for no real benefit, restructurization which ended up causing more turmoil and chaos than benefitting the organization. Blindly adopting policies with no real merit then beating them into effect. This place has undergone a real transformation in the past 10 years and none of it good. "Like a good neighbor" has been retired and it shows. It's more like your neighbor that lets his dog poo in your yard then blames you when he steps in it.
Pros
excellent salary over time, decent benefits
Cons
terrible starting salaries, bewildering policy adoption and enforcement
They were good to work for
HP3000 Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 31, 2018
They were probably the most organized place I'd ever experienced. But they had very few opportunities to be creative. It was straight hard coding. The specs were so tightly written, it was nearly impossible to make a mistake. Their programming standards were such that even the working storage variables used in a piece of code had to be alphabetized and adhere to numerous specs.
Not a fun place to work lately.
Infrastructure Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 31, 2018
Most enjoyable was the team members I worked with. The work was sometimes stimulating but often very stressful. The management was more concerned about the numbers/metrics than about the employees.
Pros
worked at home
Cons
management was not in touch with employees
A completely average office cubicle job
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 29, 2018
I worked here immediately out of high school, and consequently dealt with a considerable learning curve. There was little to love about this job, but also little to hate.
Culture Change
Consumer Compliance Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 25, 2018
The following comments are based on my current experience. When I started 5 years ago, the company and culture were very different.

Typical Day - extremely frustrating as most individuals are new to role and lead be management that have no experience managing the processes they are responsible. Current leadership team is unqualified and honestly wouldn't be hirable for a similar position at another company. Deep employee cuts changed the work life balance to the negative.

Management - due to a recent layoffs and structure changes, there has been extreme decline in the overall company culture. The change of culture has led to disengaged workforce, inefficiencies, lack of contribution, and no visible future. Deep employee cuts to support a shell of a strategic plan that pretends to support customer needs is beyond laughable.

Beware applying for a position here due to the current environment is not set up for professional development and growth, but rather frustration. I would recommend anyone that desires to work for this once great company to wait for a few years and for the dust to settle.

On the plus side, they still have a pension.
Pros
pension
Cons
management lack experience; lack of strategy
Productive Place with early start time and Stressful job duties
Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 23, 2018
Weekends are required and that is the stressful part of the job when trying to balance family and work. Hard to move up in the company even when your work experience outweighs the degree of some managers.
Pros
Nice work environment, benefits
Cons
weekend hours and hard to advance in company
A wonderful company to work for!
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 22, 2018
I build relationships with agents and customers. Giving the skills and repeatable processes making them more successful. Management works with employees making the life/work balance great.
claim processing
corporate health (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 22, 2018
I paid claims for hospital and physician benefits also processed disability claims later went to agency department where I wrote training material and introductions
Slow
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 16, 2018
My first developer job. Expected to learn new technologies and advance my developer skills. Ended up learning endless internal routines. Relaxed environment due to involvement a lot of people in simple processes. Sometimes something that can be done in day or half takes few days or even weeks. People are friendly, but don't want to take slight risk or tiny extra responsibility. Reluctant to change. Something nice can be introduced not because team decided to do so, but rather because someone above said enforced it. Mushroom management to some extent, features and requirements arrive from management, no one on bottom level can explain why something is done in such way and how it is beneficial for company. Many dev teams are working for enterprise, so your experience may vary.
Pros
Friendly and helpful co-workers
Cons
Slow paced
Overall Employee Feedback
Business Analyst/Proj Planner/Coord/Records Mgmt (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 9, 2018
State Farm is a large enterprise that allowed me to gain additional training and educational opportunity. This allowed me to advance into other roles within the company.
Pros
Allowed flexible work hours
Cons
Tends to pander to various demographic groups
Strong, traditional-based company no more
Information Technology Analyst (IT Analyst) (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 8, 2018
State Farm was a great place to work for at the beginning of my career, being a tradition-based, family oriented and employee focused company. Now, not so much. Many of the traditions are gone as well as jobs.

State Farm did need to make extreme changes in order to meet the demands of today's customers, but they seemed to forget they once valued their employees.

While employed there, I was allowed to learn, grow and advance probably further than I would with any other local company. I was proud to work for them. But unfortunately, I ended up working in a department that needed to cut employees and job knowledge and great work records did not matter.
Pros
Flexible work hours
The most enjoyable part of the job
IT Analyst / Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 4, 2018
It is a family setting with great people around me. Going into work each and every day made it very enjoyable working with my co-workers. I enjoyed building the friendships and accomplishing many projects with my various teams.
Benefits
Cons
Multiple manager changes
Double standards
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 2, 2018
I did not like that rules applied to some, but not all.There were double standards. It just depended on who you were. It sucked! You start out in the CRC and you can only get out of the department by team leader approval.
Pros
I liked the night shift
Cons
Pleope were what I call sometimey.
Great Place with Great People
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 2, 2018
Big company with lots of opportunity to learn and grow. Because of the strategy of promoting from within, there are so many directions one can go and geographic regions to live. Strong investment in its employees and sales force.
Pros
Salary and benefits; investment in employees
Cons
Presently getting smaller
Robot culture
Bank Manager -Commercial (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 2, 2018
Process overkill stiffles progress, advancement and progress. Thought and logic are suffocated by procedures and endless wasted red tape, meetings, etc. Projects more frequently die from age and over analysis than are ever completed and implemented. If they survive, they are so watered down, they are no longer effective at anything, much less the original intention. Poor morale due to restructure which has also resulted on poor company loyalty and quality employee retention.
Pros
Pension for now
Cons
Culture, opressively process laden
Great company
Information Security Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILSeptember 28, 2018
Love working for SF. Great company, awesome employees, excellent work environment, great pay and amazing benefits. Happy to spend me career there!!

53.2K
42.5K
31.8K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

73%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

58%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss