State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews in Dunwoody, GA

Found 247 reviews matching the search See all 9,192 reviews
Decent job for someone without a degree.
Claims Associate - Auto ILR (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GADecember 21, 2018
Overall, this was a good place to work. Other companies pay higher salary for similar roles, but State Farm doesn't require a degree. There is technically plenty of opportunity for advancement, but when you work in a department that is short staffed it's nearly impossible to post out.

Training could be better, culture needs improvement but direct managers are excellent as are most of the employees. Like most large corporations, the offices are located in areas that only management can afford to live in and commuting can be difficult.

Attendance policy is very strict and considered "no-fault" so calling out because you almost died in a car wreck on the way to work is no different than calling out because your hairdresser had an opening.
Pros
Four day work week, decent pay and benefits.
Cons
Attendance policy is inflexible, very low employee morale, little employee/family engagement.
Its a below average Experience
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GANovember 11, 2018
Initially you will feel like you have found a possible career path, however due to the lack of adequate management and the overall feel of some of the departments you may change your mind. My department is one of the worst in the enterprise, due to the management structure applied. Production goals are set way too high to account for the importance of the information being handled leading to errors among the department however management continues to encourage quantity over quality leading to continued errors on the behalf of customers. Associates are not required to adhere to dress code therefore the professionalism aspect is very challenging.
Pros
Free cups every now and then. Good benefits
Cons
Below average pay, poor environment, terrible dress code( Anything/Unprofessional0
Not for me
ILR Associate (Initial Lost Reporting) (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GADecember 31, 2018
Some people like working there, others hated it. Very stressful environment.

Management is awful. I had 7 different managers only 2 were okay. The company has good benefits, that is it.
Benefits
Cons
Management, always changing
No comment
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJanuary 25, 2019
Management in the Sales Contact Center is sub par. Directors are micro-managers and don't hold all leaders accountable for their work or even showing up.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Leadership in Sales Contact Center
The Raw truth about State Farm claims, good, bad, and ugly.
Auto Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GADecember 18, 2018
Working in claims is a lot of work. The great part is you become licensed, the company pays for it (if you past the first test). You are able to attain a lot of claims & insurance knowledge that you can take anywhere. If you can make it in claims you can make it anywhere, that’s if you can develop a tough skin. The bad part is State Farm is too old fashioned. They pay lower than other insurance companies for the same position. They are not fair in how they choose people to move up in the company, it’s based off who you know and who they like, not seniority or experience. They allow the agent office staff to talk to you like you’re a piece of trash, and the claims rep are supposed be respectful, while the agent staff has no repocussion for their disrespect or actions. You have outrageous metrics that make it stressful to work and are to work from the time you get to work until you leave regardless of how difficult a call could be. It’s like a plantation and you’re simply a number to them. They have a points system where you accumulate points for being late or missing days, 4 points per occurance and 20 points equal termination. A horrible benefits package with no vacation days. The claims dept is unorganized and upper management makes decisions that do not best benefit the customer & blame you for not behind able to explain things to customers or follow through on their new procedures. I like to say State Farm claims gives you a monkey wrench when you need a screw driver to get the job done & say figure it out. They use you for projects and leadership roles and sometimes you’re  more... not even picked for a position they make you work for they call it a “development role”. Good luck with State Farm this company has changed for the worse.  less
Pros
Lots of overtime, food days
Cons
Horrible benefits, stressful, low moral, unfair treatment
Good job for students
Licensed Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAOctober 3, 2018
I absolutely loved this company when I started. The culture was laid back and comfortable. We have good benefits and a flexible schedule in the Customer Care Center. Over time they have implemented a lot of new changes with little to no raise AND they took away all of our morale incentives. No more rewards for exceeding goals, new stricter policies, and uncaring management practices. The morale is at an all time low. The rest of the company has a different set of rules so I get better feedback from those departments ,but we are one of the lowest paid insurance companies in the area.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Poor company culture, low pay
great career opportunity
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAOctober 13, 2018
comprehensive training and support, set schedule and competitive pay, benefits are excellent. Diverse and inclusive staff with many opportunities for advancement
Great job for someone that is also going to school. Great Flexibility
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GADecember 26, 2018
High paced. Learned a lot regarding insurance. Hardest part of the job is when a policy holder degrades you. The most enjoyable part is the respectful customer that you talk to and help. The workplace is a great environment.
Pros
Holidays are fun, the pay and benefits are great!!
Cons
The point system is not fair.
Nice culture, lax dress code, but tend to micromanage
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GANovember 8, 2018
The pay combined with the benefits package makes the company competitive. When I was there, you could become vested in their pension plan (defined benefit, not defined contribution like 401Ks) if you stayed for 5 years. I'm not sure if since then they've moved exclusively to providing 401K plans, but during my time there both were available, and they matched your 401K contributions up to a certain amount.

Medical, dental, and vision were provided in their plans.

The only issue I had was the time limit they placed on handling claims, as from my experience enough time wasn't given to respectfully handle the customers issues and create the file note for others to see after you finished with the claim. This led to some employees trying to find ways to artificially keep their calls within the allotted time, which made some customer's experience worse.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Metrics are a bit difficult to meet
The pay is great but not what it should be for my position
Team Lead/Claim Associate (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GADecember 3, 2018
The job used to be more relaxed & enjoyable. Now it is all about numbers. How many calls did you take. How long is your average call. How good is your available time. How high is your after call work. Everything is now tracked. Aside from that, that pay is good. Benefits are good.
Benefits
Cons
Everything is now tracked.
An alright place to work at
Auto Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAAugust 28, 2018
Don't expect work/life balance. They are all about the numbers and not their employees. Depending on the season & "customer demand" you will work crazy hours, weekends, holidays and it still won't be worth the money.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Changed after I left
Claims Associate - ILR Lead (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAAugust 20, 2018
Management has changed policies after I left the company. While I was there, the pay was ok, but not competitive with other companies. The benefits made-up for it in my opinion. Since I have left, there were changes to the pay (they gave more $) but there has also been an establishment of a point system for no being at work. You have to speak to a current employee for those details.
Fun and productive place to work
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAAugust 14, 2018
State Farm is a very good company, offer great benefits from day one. I've always enjoyed the culture of the company and diverse backgrounds of most everyone we come in contact with. State Farm also does a lot of internal hiring so there's room for advancement.
Not a long term job
Claim Associate (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAOctober 6, 2018
Toxic Environment for mental Health. OK hub shut down so workload increased at all other hubs. Not good for mental health. Great Benefits and an ok temporary job.
State Farm provides an exceptional work enviornment.
ILR/Consumer Loan Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GADecember 31, 2018
State Farm is an excellent Company to work for. The Company provides work life balance and superior opportunities for career advancement through structured resources and mentorship programs. I enjoyed working with State Farm and a typical work day was very manageable. Management was opened to feedback. I don't think the job was difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job was my team members and internal and external customers/clients.
Pros
Work-Life balance and structured programs for career advancements.
Cons
Enjoyed the State Farm Culture. Pros compensated for any cons.
Exhausting Environment not worth your time
Licensed Claims Associate/Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJuly 14, 2018
When I first began working at StateFarm the culture was okay . I was in the first auto pilot class in Atlanta for Auto-ILR. We were given false hope on fast career advancement. Statefarm is no longer a place that you would want to depend on for a career. Employees are getting fired left and right for erroneous accusations. In the past few months numerous members in management have quit on the spot due to unethical practices. Almost every manager micro manages the employees until they either quit on go on FMLA for stress and anxiety. I wouldn't recommend Statefarm as an employer.
Pros
Okay benefits
Cons
Over worked, Mandatory OT, no work life balance, Management unorganized and poorly trained.
State Farm was interesting
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GASeptember 10, 2018
Very corporate environment. Mixed messages and conflicting information was an issue. The company itself tried to be fair to both employees and customers but past employees who abused benefits has made the company distrustful. The pay was okay but not enough to really enjoy living in Atlanta. Traffic was also an issue and many of is wanted work from home opportunities which we were always told was illegal. We learned later it is not and this caused a lack of trust in the company.
Pros
benefits, over time opportunity, professional
Cons
pay, inconsistent, no work from home opportunity
It is a stable work environment
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJuly 17, 2018
State Farm has been through a lot of changes in the last five years of me working there. They still have the benefits of secure work environment but the some other things have changed. They have moved from a employee based workplace to a numbers based workplace. The new CEO is a bottom line type of business man and only cares about the profit. In my time spent there I was able to move through three different positions in three years once he came into the position the company started implementing hiring freezes on internal positions until those positions were caught up with the numbers there departments were responsible at meeting.
Pros
Benefits, stable work environment, possible movement
Cons
always changing daily work regiment without notice, possible delay in promotions, company values are changing from customer service to numbers based
Day to Day
CLAIM SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAAugust 13, 2018
A work a at State Farm the call volume can be very high and customers can be difficult. I was able to balance the call and tasks the was required of me day to day. I had a great attitude and that reflected in my ability to be consistent and my rapport with State Farm customers and Non- State Farm customers and their Attorneys.
Pros
Great benefits and Pay
Cons
I have None
Relaxed work environment, but still stressfull
Licensed Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJune 21, 2018
A typical day involves mostly taking claim calls, sometimes your schedule will change at a moments notice, so they want you to refresh your schedule after every call. Most of the co-workers are very helpful, most of the managers are a joke. Your weekly meetings with them are among the other people that sit around the managers' cubicle with no privacy so if coworkers are not on the phone, they hear everything that is being said, whether it's personal or not. Managers are not really there when you need them and you can forget escalated calls, they avoid those like the plague. And management has a culture of making excuses for each other, which is very disheartening because you basically have no one that you can talk to. Sometimes the managers make you feel like you are just a number. And the only way to get ahead is to do some serious brown nosing. The dress code is very laid back which is a plus. The salary is ok, but I know of several people that have left the company to go to other insurance companies where they work less but are paid more. But when we ask about raises, they say they have highest pay rates, which can also be disputed by easily looking on indeed or glassdoor. The hardest part of the job is feeling like you cant get help when you need it and if you go to10 managers with a question, you will get 10 different answers but the most enjoyable part is being able to help people that really need it.

53.4K
42.6K
31.9K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

73%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

58%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss