State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews in Richardson, TX

Found 461 reviews matching the search See all 9,182 reviews
Good company with good work-life balance
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 29, 2018
decent company. good work life balance. culture is changing from past couple of years. salary is less than local market. career growth opportunities very limited
Overworked
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 25, 2019
The company is going through a reorganization trying to cut costs and remain competitive. They are closing offices and opening "hubs" to consolidate employees to save on operating costs. I consider myself a team player and can appreciate why the company is making these changes, but the end result is they are giving unreasonable work loads to claims employees. Management could care less about your work/life balance because they have no work/life balance themselves. I will work over the weekend to try to stay on top of things and provide great customer service. Unfortunately not everyone is the same. Management response to me is that I need to find ways to "eliminate waste" so I can do more. Essentially they have driven me to start looking for other jobs. I can't take the stress and workload of this place anymore, and it is not worth giving the time up with my family.
Pros
People I work with
Cons
Overworked, underpaid for the amount of work I do, company culture is not what it used to be
Great Benefits
Complex Bodily Injury Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 12, 2018
I worked at State Farm for appx 5 yrs and was able to double my starting salary after two promotions. State Farm's starting salary ranges are slightly lower than competitors; however, the benefits offered make it worthwhile. I would recommend working for State Farm solely for the excellent benefits & job security.
Pros
healthcare, company 401(k) match and annual performance bonus
Cons
non-competitive starting salaries compared to other insurance companies & unreasonable expectations
Great place to work with a few concerns
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 16, 2018
Typical corporate cubicle culture. Great people and managers doing their best. Corporate one size fits all culture leads to micormanaging and generally unhappy workforce.
Pros
Pay, benefits and job security
Cons
Micromanaging
Awesome environment
Auto Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 16, 2018
I really enjoy working here. I have no compaints at all. Advancement is available, yearly bonus (based on performance) Awesome coworkers, safe environment. The pay could be so much better. Benefits are great, I’ve had no issues with management. Training is great.
Pros
Benefits, environment, training, coworkers, management. Shift swaps and shift bids whenever you need to change your shift.
Cons
Pay
Its not as great as it use to be!
Event Planner Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 17, 2018
When I started with State Farm it was a great company to work for however after our previous CEO Ed Rust retired the company was not the same. I use to be able to recommend people to want to work for such a great company however; over the past few years they treat their employees like they are only the bottom line and not people.
Pros
great benefits and opportunites for advancement if you know the right people
Cons
you have to know the right people to get a head
Great employer overall need a degree to advance
Auto Underwriter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 30, 2019
Unable to advance beyond entry level positions without a 4 yr degree
Work culture is well balanced
Free courses offered on site for employee who qualify
Pros
Flexibility balancing work and home
Cons
High premiums for healthcare & Limited advancement
Times have changed
USA Personal Lines Contact Center (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 26, 2018
When I started at State Farm it was the best company you could ask for. We relocated to keep working for them but the company changed when the new CEO took over. There was no more work-life balance and employees no longer felt cared for just another peg filling a spot. I have heard the company is starting to pump the breaks and try and fix some of the mistakes they made.
Pros
Decent benefits and pay is okay.
Cons
no work life balance and long hours.
Unprofessional atmosphere
Spanish Translation Rep (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 30, 2019
Poor management, limited bathroom breaks, your input is never taken into consideration, favoritism, point tracking system for absences and tardies, the more effort you put in your job is never enough for a good evaluation. The manager never seems interested in any challanges the team faces and doesn't take any action to keep employees happy and satisfied.
Benefits
Cons
Favoritism and poor management
Claim professionals Avoid
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 12, 2019
State Farm has changed a great deal in the years I have been employed here. This company is no longer concerned with their customers but due to poor management and lack of direction are now only concerned with churning out poorly handled claims as fast as they can. Leadership at all levels are actively attempting to protect their jobs and place blame for the problems their claim department are suffering upon the employees. This company is to be avoided by anyone other than those trying to begin a career in claims.
Decent job to gain experience
Licensed Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 5, 2018
Typical day would be taking inbound sales calls from customers needing insurance. Culture is laid back but pay is stagnant. Schedule is flexible mostly for students but if you have major bills their part time shedule will not pay you enough. Full time is available but the hours are horrible. 330-12pm to be exact. Mandatory weekend and points system for attendance. Sales position is barely any commision so do not get excited on any commision talk. Overall good company but just pick a well paying position in order to make ends meet. Great benefits no auto discounts. Lots of basic customer service calls in a sales environment and out dated systems.
Pros
Benefits, schedule flexibility
Cons
Sales commision, attendance policy, full time hours choices
Overall, great place with great people, but not enough pay and often difficult to advance.
Claims Associate - Express (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 17, 2018
I believe that State Farm really cares about their employees, but it's easy to start to feel like a number there instead of an individual. Production expectations are not realistic for the quality of work they require. It seemed like the employees that cut corners to make production advanced quicker and more often. Also, the salary is not competitive at all. Cost of living in the Dallas-Fort Worth area is steadily rising, and it was difficult to maintain basic financial responsibilities with the pay received. However, there are some really great people at State Farm. Some of the best coworkers I have dealt with came from State Farm. I also learned a lot about the insurance industry while there.
Good starter job
Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 13, 2018
If you want to get your foot in the door in the insurance industry this is a good place to start, dont expect to move up in the company this place has good benefits but they could pay you more for what you do, I started as an underwriting service assistant they cross trained me for 1 year but did not increase my salary based on my duties. When you do apply you have to notify your supervisor and they are the deciding factor in your advancement meaning if you are not a supervisor favorite more than likely you wont get to advance. The management here is terrible they are unprofessional and child like. get your experience and find a better job.
Pros
Lots of food places to eat in the area
Cons
bad pay and bad management
State Farm Morale
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 29, 2018
The current status at State Farm is that employee morale is down. More work is demanded at low pay. Cost of living goes up yet salary does not. The unfortunate management style of ridiculing employees is heightened everyday.
Great Place to start a career
Underwriter Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 23, 2018
Great flexibility
Lower than average pay
A part time sales job is ideal.
Great benefits
Great location and campus.
Great management
Great opportunity to move up
Pros
Great Flexibility
Cons
Lower salary compared to competitors
It's not horrible most days....
Auto ILR (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 30, 2018
When I was hired at State Farm I was so excited. State Farm is an industry leader and their reputation is stellar. After training, I started in Enterprise ILR. It was ok, except for the schedule. You don't have much of a choice in the schedule you work. It was an evening schedule and off Thursday, Friday and Saturday. That is actually a good schedule if you consider not many of the day shifts have consecutive days off.

I was promoted to Auto ILR after I was there about 10 months. Which was great. I got licensed in all states. Awesome. Except the training was confusing and spread out during the holiday season. Needless to say, when I got onto the floor in January, I had a little hiccup.

My first schedule was absolutely horrid. You get to "bid" for a schedule, but good luck with that. My hours started at 4 in the morning. I had to get up at 3 am. There is no shift incentive to do this shift, either.

So I got a day shift a few months later. Awesome. However, it was temporary as the whole department had to go through a mandatory shift bid. I got night shift again, almost my last choice. My life is turned upside down once every few months because of schedule changes.

I have had more than 5 managers in the span of a year. Every manager expects something different. Some follow rules, some don't. Some have huddles, others don't. You just don't know what to expect. When your life is being tossed around so carelessly, it's hard to imagine anyone in management positions cares about any person.

You can get reprimanded from downstream departments but you have no recourse
  more... as far as defending yourself goes. Some managers don't care about these. Others are constantly on you about them non stop. There is hardly ever any positive feedback.

The lunches are only 45 minutes. You get two breaks every 10 hour shift. Why? I'm so tired and drained by the end of my shift I have a hard time focusing.

A few months ago, everyone had to do 8 hours of mandatory overtime. Seriously, everyone is jumping ship.

Now our positions are being frozen, so we can't move to any other departments or get a promotion. They decided to hire from outside instead of promoting skilled employees from within. The only way to advance in your career is to get a job at another company.

Don't even get me started on the attendance and point system. Have a family? They don't care. You will be required to work when they want you to work. Like your Holidays off? Good luck with that. Chances are you will be working holidays.

Seriously, I hear State Farm used to care about their employees. What happened?
Pros
Location, Overtime Available.
Cons
Mandatory OT, No Weekends Off, Poor Life/Work Balance, Management Doesn't Care
Too robotic. Micro manage. It's difficult for an advanced educational person to adjust to the enviornment.
Underwriting Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 22, 2018
Daily training. A lot of time at desk sitting. Breaks and lunches are too structured. Over the top of micro management. Most difficult part of the job was being positive.
Pros
Use to provide vacation and benefits 1st day
Cons
Micromanagement and very low pay.
Good reputation with good benefits
Technical Support Rep (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 16, 2018
State Farm is a good place to work but the culture and structure needs updating to make things better for the employees.
These improvements would make State Farm a great place to work and provide more room for advancement
Adaptability
Express Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 14, 2018
It is difficult to adapt to too many changes, no stable management, Bemefits are great, flexible PTO, overwhelming call volume, it is difficult to promote, more focused on metrics rather than customer experiences.
Benefits
Cons
No steady management, too many changes
Nice place to work
Supervisor, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 14, 2018
I do enjoy working for State Farm. There has been opportunity for advancement, but with restructuring there has been less opportunity. There are benefits for part-time employees which is difficult to find.
Pros
Benefits for part-time employees, nice first line leaders, 401k, beautiful buildings, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Too afraid to fire poor employees, low first line leader pay

53.4K
42.6K
31.9K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company.

Powered by Comparably