State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews for Agent Aspirant

Found 21 reviews matching the search See all 9,535 reviews
Extremely poor management
Agent Aspirant (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MSMarch 14, 2019
Every state farm is different, as every office's infrastructure is based on the agent's preference. My boss/agent continuously had absurdly high expectations, all while underpaying his employees. The office manager cried at least once a week. Turnover in the office was absurd.
Avoid
Agent Aspirant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 4, 2018
I'm in the top 10% of my field as far as sales is concerned. I have a 62% closing rate. Even with my great closing rate, i couldn't afford to feed myself or pay my bills on what state farm gave me. I changed agencies to another state farm agent 3 times to see if i could get a better package. i was never able to survive without credit cards. They also give no benefits. It's the worst company to work for. I've never worked for a company that needed a union for their agents so desperately. I feel awful for the poor people that are still stuck working for them.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits, cut throat, promises of promotion that never come.
stressful and demand for high productivity
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSNovember 5, 2018
stay away, your expexted to drum up business from no where if needs be. No training is giving as to what the agent wants. in fact, most agents you never even see them
not for me
Agent Aspirant (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GA 30066August 27, 2018
I moved to the adjuster side of insurance because I did not like the sales process. I prefer more person to person interaction not internet and phone conversations
Team Member
Agent Aspirant (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHMarch 28, 2018
Service existing clients and cross selling different lines to better protect them, call and obtain new business through leads that were provided by the Agent of the office.
was not for me
Agent Aspirant (Former Employee) –  Glen Carbon, ILMarch 25, 2018
I did not like sitting in an office all day making cold calls to people who were not interested in insurance. I'm sure it could be a nice long term career for someone else.
It is all about who you work for
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJanuary 28, 2018
The agent that I work for is the best boss I have ever had and I don't think I will ever have another as good as him. With me being on the sales side, I was able to come and go as I please for the most part (as long as I was making him money he didn't care what I was doing).

Only reason I am even looking at leaving is because I am looking to get back towards my hometown.
Cons
No benefits such as health/401k
Good
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Clinton, SCNovember 2, 2017
competitive... a typical day job... you will learn a lot on the fly no real training program. work place culture varies from office to office. The hardest part of working with state farm is dealing with rude customers.
Good entry level company
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMAugust 28, 2017
Work is great if you like to help people out. Most customers do not understand insurance and your expertise is needed. There will always be a handful of customers who are irate, but the majority are pleasant to work with.
State Farm does not stand behind Agent's employees with benefits. Benefits are only provided by the agent which is minimal. No health care, 401k, dental, vision, etc. Get what benefits you can upfront and in writing like vacation days, pay bumps, flex work arrangements where you can work some days at home.
They require online training and provide opportunities for agent employees to participate in corporate training. This is an opportunity to learn, refine skills, and network.
Pros
Most agents are flexible with your schedule
Cons
Little/No healthcare benefits, advancement opportunities, low pay
Good experience for ageent career path
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 14, 2017
Will give you the tools to work into being a State Farm Agent. Requires more than 9-5 hours while receiving minimum pay. Will learn all areas of being an agent (management, sales and service)
Great team, slow days
Agent Aspirant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 20, 2017
I loved the people I worked with and the agent, however sitting behind a desk for 8+ hours a day just wasn't for me. State Farm is a good company though!
Pros
Free lunches from reps, good work environment, ability to advance and own your own agency
Cons
slow days, lots of cold calling, stuck behind a desk all day
Productive but may not help you grow
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 11, 2017
Working for State Farm their computer systems are a little outdated for my standards. They are great with claims, but writing business and rates have been bad lately. Growth in company especially agents office is little to none. They mostly hire from outside fields to open up their new agencies.
Freedom to sell and control my income
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Lake Villa, ILMarch 1, 2017
A typical day of work consists of follow ups in the morning followed by outbound sales calls to establish appointments for sales. Once I establish an appointment my closing ratio is about 90%.
I learned about selling intangible products and producing scenarios that clients can envision.
Management is very supportive in seeing my success.
I work from home so workplace environment is free from distractions since I have a dedicated office.
The hardest part of my job is getting the appointments but I am a relationship building person which is why my closing ratio is so high.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping out clients financially so they have peace of mind.
I require little supervision since I am highly motivated and enjoy sales.
Pros
The ability to be successful
Cons
Lack of advancement.
Great place if you like to help people
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Hartselle, ALDecember 13, 2016
A typical day you will interact with many types of people. Try to explain the importance of insuring their risk and maximizing their earned money.
A lot of great talent goes unrecognized and underutilized
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Northeast, TXOctober 24, 2016
Lots of push from above for sales and I can tell that being morally conflicted can effect peoples performance. Coworkers can go a long time without being noticed, and Agents tend to be real buddy buddy elitist that look down on their employees. Performance is very pushy, yet no money for marketing is put into underperforming areas if at all.

Truly enjoy helping the people that need it and being there when you can.

Peoples costs increase constantly. Consistent older customers are not rewarded effectively, and the people that need insurance the most cant afford it.
Pros
Agents can be flexible with hours, and may be a great mentor.
Cons
Bad Agents are every where, and many lead with an iron fist, or are so lax that it effects team moral.
Great work enviorment
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 25, 2015
Great work environment, with supportive management. Great colleagues. learning new things daily was a plus, meeting new clients. Prospects with State Farm is quite good since it has the largest market share
Pros
Advancemet opportiunties
Cons
Advancement Process
This companyis great
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Stillwater, OKSeptember 10, 2015
I have taken part in almost all of the agency postions, ive learned a lot about working with different types of people.I have been allowed to grow and continue to learn in the world of Insurance. My employer had enough confidence to send me to school, fully paid to get my licenses in Property & Casualty and Life & Health. I really enjoy learning and sharing my knowledge in Insurance
Pros
everything
Tough Spot
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  LGPOctober 16, 2014
Being an aspiring agent is very a very tough line of work. The main difficulty of the position is the low compensation rate.

From day to day an agent aspirant makes several cold calls in order to build book of business for the agent.

Co-workers are great at my particular office.

Hardest part of my position is the insurance market as a whole has become a total commodity.
Pros
Great team
Cons
No benefits/Low compensation
Demanding, lack of management
Agent Aspirant (Former Employee) –  Claymont, DE, 19703October 6, 2014
My position with State Farm was Sales Producer/Agent Aspirant. Unfortunately with lack of proper management and employees, my time was mostly spent on servicing the book of business, rather than building it. I enjoyed talking to our insureds and answering any questions they might have; however sometimes I felt as though I did not have enough time in the day to assist everyone who required my attention. I learned how to balance my work schedule appropriately to assist each customer and provide as much information with the allotted time I was given. I learned how to successfully run an agency while our agent was out of the office. During this time, I was able to book lead companies and insulate other commercial businesses.
Pros
Benefits, salary + comm.
Cons
Long hours, no management
Productive and supportive environment
Agent Aspirant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 28, 2014
Set goals for each day and worked to accomplish those goals. The team was rewarded for hitting those goals that we had set. Everything was very supportive of each other and celebrated their successes.