State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews for Business Analyst

Found 54 reviews matching the search See all 9,560 reviews
Great Experience
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 28, 2019
I met awesome people at SF and enjoyed a healthy work/life balance while learning and getting the job done. It was a great place to work! Sprawling campus and good food! Nice team oriented culture, and I felt like my opinions and suggestions were considered more often than not.
Pros
so many good reasons to work there
Cons
location in the country
Disaster
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Earth City, MOJanuary 23, 2019
State Farm is plagued by dysfunctional leadership. None of the leadership is expected to actually know the function that they lead. This causes frustration as many of the metrics, rules, and procedures created and enforced by clueless leadership aren’t realistic.

Anyone in a production type of role will find that their job is tightly measured by metrics and their attendance regulated by a point system. Failure to adhere to these guidelines will result in “coaching”, aka discipline.

Meeting metrics is often only possible by cutting corners. I was once in the awkward situation of trying to explain to my boss why I had lower adherence to the metrics than my teammates who I knew were cutting corners. The quality of my work was much higher, but management favored speed over quality.

Micromanagement is a way of life at State Farm.

My immediate supervisor was constantly changing. I would have, on average, a new supervisor every six months. Some of the changes were due to constant reorganizations as State Farm flailed desperately to figure out what it was doing. Other changes were for no reason at all other than the fact that State Farm likes to constantly rotate management about for no discernable reason.

It’s nearly impossible for a short term boss to be an effective leader. It was irritating to have to constantly bring new supervisors up to speed and explain my pain points to them.

My key pain point was lack of back-up and assistance for my position. After dealing with a succession of supervisors over the course of many years who promised help, but never delivered,
  more... I finally expressed my displeasure at the situation. My supervisor dismissively defended themself by saying that they had only been there a short time and therefore couldn’t be held accountable for the previous supervisors’ promises of assistance.

Dissent, even when expressed in a professional manner, is discouraged, and may result in a reprimand.

State Farm has an excessively top heavy management that is detached and is not responsive to employee feedback or changing times. My team once had a reorg that was supposed to make us more efficient, but instead added an extra two layers of management to my reporting structure for no reason. Change can take an extremely long time and is often executed incorrectly.

Promotions are largely based on cronyism. There is a reluctance to hold people accountable when their work ethic or behavior does not meet reasonable expectations, and bad employees are seldom fired. Performance reviews, raises, and bonuses often don’t correspond to employees’ actual work output and value.

The quality of the non-management employees, like in many organizations, is hit or miss, and will vary based on the specific team. I was on one team where I didn’t like my teammates, and was fortunate enough to be able to apply to and be accepted into a position on another team where I liked my teammates.

A benefit to State Farm’s large size is that there are other teams you can transfer to in a situation like that, but there are also times where it can be hard to transfer to a different team due to factors such as work location, hiring freezes, or internal politics.

Job opportunity at State Farm is now largely limited to the corporate headquarters of Bloomington, IL, and the hub cities of Atlanta, Dallas, and Phoenix. Most jobs outside of these locations are call center jobs.

Layoffs at State Farm are not based on merit. Instead they are based on work location and job grade. If a high performer is in a job grade or location being downsized, their previous stellar work ethic won’t protect them at all. State Farm over the past few years has been ravaged by layoffs. Thousands have been laid off.

I wouldn’t recommend taking a State Farm job, or any job for that matter, in Bloomington, IL. It’s a small labor market that’s dominated by State Farm and gets economically brutalized whenever State Farm has a large layoff or moves a large amount of jobs to the hubs.

Pay at State Farm is below the competition.

The St. Louis area State Farm Bank location in Earth City, MO, is being allowed to wither on the vine, and will likely close within the next few years.

My review is most relevant to State Farm Bank, specifically the mortgage and auto lending operations in the St. Louis Corporate Woods Operations Center, which is where I worked, but many of these observations apply to the entire State Farm “enterprise”, as it’s called in State Farm parlance.
Gained a lot of valuable experience
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 14, 2019
I had the opportunity to work in a few different positions, each position helped me gain more knowledge of the insurance industry. People I worked with was the most enjoyable part of my job, we worked well together to complete projects.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Too many changes going on at one time
Overall Employee Feedback
Business Analyst/Proj Planner/Coord/Records Mgmt (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 9, 2018
State Farm is a large enterprise that allowed me to gain additional training and educational opportunity. This allowed me to advance into other roles within the company.
Pros
Allowed flexible work hours
Cons
Tends to pander to various demographic groups
Excellent for most of my 28 years
Business Analyst / Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 2, 2018
SF cared about their employees & made it a fun workplace. After our new CFO took over the past couple years, they started laying off the experienced long time employees and replacing them with college graduates.
Pros
Great work relationships the first 20 years
Cons
last 5 years have been about bottom dollar, you move your desk every month & don't get a chance to know anyone.
Overall a good company
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 2, 2018
I was given many opportunities at State Farm. Being with the company for almost 30 years I had a large amount of PTO. Due to relocation I am severing from the company.
Pros
Good family environment
Cons
Most locations are moving to hubs in other metorpolitan areas
Employees are just numbers, now.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILSeptember 24, 2018
They have have cut efficient teams to save money and overloaded them. The salary structure (Systems department) is rigged so that it is difficult to even keep up with inflation. It used to be like a family, now few people care about anything but surviving. This is all since the new CEO took over.
Pros
Good benefits, especially health insurance.
Cons
Very slow salary increases and promotions. Everyone is stressed and spread too thin.
Workplace Culture
Bank Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 13, 2018
State Farm is a GREAT place to work. Great benefits and work balance experience. Worked on the Bank side for 18 years and was given the opportunity to advance.
Ok Company
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 1, 2018
It is not terrible, not great either--somewhere in the middle. Good company to gain experience and then move on. Outdated business model when compared to other insurance companies.
Great culture
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 10, 2018
Good company, and great culture with worklife balance and focused development for each role for every employee. tuition reimbursement and easy method to develop.
Excellent place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 29, 2018
A very busy and challenging work environment. Management is fair and coworkers friendly and supportive. Ability to stretch your learning and definite room for growth.
Pros
High quality work environment with much growth opportunity
Cons
Instability
Great combination of work and life balance. Wonderful manager.
Business Analyst - Insurance (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJuly 16, 2018
Arrive around 6am. Review daily activities and start working with business owners to refine requirements on any outstanding projects. Monitor production for outstanding problems, and resolve as necessary.
Pros
Management willing to go extra mile to ensure happiness of employees.
Workplace culture
Auto Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 28, 2018
Terrible work environment currently. Tremendous fears about job security. New CEO too focused on reducing expenses. Making drastic changes that are unnecessary.
Working with StateFarm is simply awesome
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 4, 2018
Working at StateFarm was exciting and challenging too. There was always a healthy competetion in the company. Pay is good, employees here are so honest and organized.
Poor communication and process for the hundreds of layoffs in 2018.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMay 24, 2018
I had 24 good years with SF and suddenly it all ended. Now I and hundreds of us are looking for jobs or retiring early. Not the company it used to be.
Not the same company
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMay 16, 2018
The company at one time really cared about it's employees but now every thing is about the bottom line. The company is currently going through a restructure and laying off thousands of people. Which is fine, companies need to trim fat and keep expenses down but the company is not trying to retain talented employees.
Not Recommended
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMay 9, 2018
Transition time at this company. Their direction is not shared honestly within the company. There is a company speak issue that is not being addressed for those that actually "do the work."
Not a promising future for State Farm
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 11, 2018
Company has been surpassed by competitors due to poor management and no preparation or involvement in technological world. Once promised career resulted in lay offs
Dinosaur on the way down
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 9, 2018
State Farm is one of the largest private companies in the world, so it is extremely well capitalized. They still offer a pension and until recently this was a very nice place to work.

They realized that they are too big and slow to keep up, so they are mass shedding talent in a really short-sighted manner. Focusing on "lean" and not on people so they are losing top performers and only keeping people who are: cheap, inexperienced, have no other job options.

I think even after the mass restructure, State Farm will still be too slow and conservative to keep up with the changing industry.
Pros
Pension, 401k, good salary, good benefits
Cons
Stifling culture
Midwest Insurance Company
Business Continuity Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 7, 2018
Working as a business analyst with State Farm allowed me the opportunity to develop critical thinking, communication, and technical skills. The work, for the most part, has been enjoyable. Due to some issues in the industry the culture within the organization changes leading to negative attitudes and unwarranted stress for employees. Fortunately, the first line leaders within the organization have done and still do their best to make the work environment productive and enjoyable.

53.5K
42.7K
32K

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Reviews by Location