State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews for Claims Associate

Found 431 reviews matching the search See all 8,254 reviews
Needs work
Claim Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2018
New CEO changed everything that was good about this company. He took upfront PTO, no PSL, terrible attendance policy, low pay. Morale was DESTROYED and everyone is seeking new employment opportunities.
Pros
Reputable company
Cons
Employees treated as expendable objects but told they are commodities.
Comment6
Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 18, 2018
I don't wish to comment at this time. I have been at the company for 5 years. I would recommend the company if this is the field that you are looking for. Thank you
Typical call center job
Claims Associates (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 16, 2018
It would be nice if there was more flexibility on time off and family life. Plus management seems to be trained not to care. They are only there to advise when situations merit it.
Now here is the truth...
Claim Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 16, 2018
State Farm as a whole offers wonderful benefits. State Farm is a stepping stone for someone who wants to start a career in insurance. My advice is learn all you can learn and then run for the hills and never look back. The environment is toxic and draining. You are trained to be a robot and to be honest the environment is similar to a plantation. If you want to be micro managed and told when you can eat, speak and use the restroom then this may be the place for you. I left the company due to the culture, lack of diversity and low pay. Now if you need a temporary job to get on your feet then by all means apply but State Farm is definitely not what it use to be. Just be expected to just be an employee or considered a number to sit on the phone all day and repeat the same thing over and over versus being a valued employee. You would also be put on a point system and you have to actually clock in and out for breaks.
Benefits
Cons
Micro manage, low pay, toxic work environment, lack of diversity and unprofessional environment
Friendly team environment
INJURY CLAIMS ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  DuPont, WASeptember 8, 2018
I enjoyed working in a team environment. We had several meetings a week to keep everyone of all skill levels on the same page. I never felt like I wasn't supported at work. I had to leave due to a military move, or I would still be there! I truly enjoyed my job and miss the people on my team.
Pros
45 lunch and 2 15 min breaks
Cons
available shifts
Hard people to please
Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 5, 2018
Be wary of thinking you can move up in the company if you work hard. If you are a knowledgeable claim handler with good customer focus, your manager might consider you an okay employee, but if you don't meet metrics, you will never be considered a high performing employee and you will sooner or later be pushed towards the door.

Please do not underestimate how draining it is to take high stress calls over a full shift in Auto ILR. I got headaches constantly from all the talking, with very limited breathers. There are accident scenes, people who are upset with the process, people who cannot describe an accident to save their life, etc. Management is not responsive to complaints that employees may bring up in regards to sustainability.

Also, this job will show you just how terrible phone reception is in America. The number of people who just sounded like garbled messes made it hard to do my job. Also doesn't help that our own software for taking claims loved to crash in all kinds of ways.
Pros
Coworkers were good people
Cons
Metrics, monitored bathroom breaks, many, many others
Great place to start if you are interested in a career in Insurance
CLAIMS ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 5, 2018
The company was a great place to work. Advancing to a higher position was harder to do without getting Insurance Certifications. The facility at worked at is closing, or has already closed since I've left.
Great entry level position with room to grow
Property and Casualty Claim Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 4, 2018
Employees work in a fast-paced call center environment. Good listening, multitasking, and decision making skills are a must. For the most part management is supportive and will work to develop associates for promotional opportunities. The pay and benefits are good for an entry level position. The company culture promotes empathy, equity, and accountability. Unfortunately these ideals are somewhat mismatched with the personal metrics each employee is responsible for. Advancement within the company hinges on exceeding targets. Therefore quality and compassion are sacrificed providing an inadequate customer experience. The impression given when entering the company is to develop your personal brand and market yourself accordingly. For some, the standard they hold for themselves far exceeds the company's expectations and they must then compromise integrity and service in order to excel.
Pros
Pay, advancement, benefits
Cons
Stressful, unrealistic expectations, team-oriented
it's a call center
Auto Claims Associate (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 4, 2018
Job security hinges on metrics and adherence. Job Development is stagnant. Not much opportunity to branch out from the call center or to pursue other job opportunities at this time.
Pros
Work stays at work
Cons
Not much available for vertical or lateral movement. Not much PTO accrual.
Inclusive work environment
Claim Associate PIP/MPC (Current Employee) –  Portage, MISeptember 3, 2018
It's a good company to work for. The company provides an all inclusive workplace. The company provides excellent benefits, time off, 401k, etc...

Good company to work for.
Pros
Benefits, 401k, etc....
Cons
transition plans
Good place to start
Claims Associate Atlanta Operations Center (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GASeptember 3, 2018
State Farm is a good place to start off your career in insurance as they are the largest insurance company (for now) There are many downfalls to this company to include the stressful, hostile, and metrics driven environment that leads to low morale and poor claim handling causing hundreds of employees to leave and hundreds of thousands of policy cancellations. You clock in and out four times daily to include clocking out for lunch as if you worked at a production plant. You receive points for being more than 5 minutes late or coming from lunch more than 5 minutes. Management, both upper and lower don't seem to know what they are doing and can't offer clear direction or feedback. Enterprise systems are old and dated and crash almost weekly sometimes daily. Compensation does not match the amount of work that's required.
Pros
Pension, easy to get in
Ilr
ILR Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 31, 2018
Took claim information from customers, on the phone most of the time. talking to customers, who call in about their insurance claim. Stressful job, great co workers
Pros
people
Cons
micro managed
N/a
ILR Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 30, 2018
great work equipment , work schedule was hard to adjust, management was great. Great place for new moms to work who breast feed. Great benefits. Break times are fair.
Good Place
Claims Associate-Express (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAAugust 29, 2018
Good Place To Work. Great people. Great environment and they are always looking to hire new people who are willing to work hard and get to work on time.
Not Just a Job but A Career
Claims Associate Auto ILR (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 28, 2018
State Farm Insurance has thus far been the best company I have ever worked for. They are definitely about their customers but also about their employees. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone looking for not just a job but a career.
Stable, structured, and advancement opportunities
Claims Associate - Auto ILR (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 28, 2018
The best part of working for State Farm Insurance call center, coming from a military background, is their structured work environment. From the beginning, I received detailed training which adequately prepared me to navigate their systems and provide remarkable customer service to their customers. Your assigned to teams with a team lead. The teams are structured to provide support and encouragement. And team leads are strongly encouraged to provide an open, nurturing environment for each of their members to grow and seek advancement. I thoroughly enjoyed working for State Farm.
Great benefits! And that's it...
CLAIMS ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 24, 2018
The job is glamorized as "bigger" than a call center... but it's not. Burn out is super high. Every minute out of your chair or into your breaks (even if you're working) counts against you. No flexibility on attendance policy. Managers are almost never around anymore... they're always in "training". The disorganization is clearly obvious to customers as insureds are leaving State Farm in droves. It's a standard call center with management that normally don't have the answers themselves. This place is so good at referring you to others that you'll run in circles 8 times looking for the same answer. Because no one knows what's up.
Pros
Awesome benefits, good location, cool building, decent pay
Cons
Terrible culture, no one is genuine, management is subpar, questionable ethics, you are a "call taker" and not a claim handler.
Beware
Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GAAugust 24, 2018
This job is stressful. They make promises but are honored at the section managers discretion. Hours are horrible and if you have kids forget being able to spend time with them.
Very professional and a great place for people with a degree.
CLAIMS ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 23, 2018
My daily routine would be handling anywhere from 15-40 calls. Assisted with finding repair shops, towing vehicles, locating rental car companies, etc. The worst part about my job would be being able to stay calm while someone else is hysterical after an accident at the accident scene. The best part about my job would be the rewards and praises you receive from the customer being thankful of the great job you've done. I've learned patience and no matter what you do in life, patience and customer service skills will take you a long way.
Pros
Great incentives and health coverage
Cons
10 hour shifts
Changed after I left
Claims Associate - ILR Lead (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAAugust 20, 2018
Management has changed policies after I left the company. While I was there, the pay was ok, but not competitive with other companies. The benefits made-up for it in my opinion. Since I have left, there were changes to the pay (they gave more $) but there has also been an establishment of a point system for no being at work. You have to speak to a current employee for those details.

53.1K
42.4K
31.7K

Diversity score

63out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company.

Powered by Comparably