State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews for Claims Representative

Found 273 reviews matching the search See all 9,193 reviews
Great Benefits and decent pay but poor work environment
Claims Representative, Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLDecember 6, 2018
Work schedule consisted of long shifts, constant changes in work day. Poorly managed when it comes to handling customer concerns. More numbers driven then results oriented. Highly stressful environment. Tools and assistance needed wasn't always available.
Enjoyable work experience depended mostly on your current manager, but the most enjoyable part of the job was the moments a customer reports loss in what seems to be a hopeless situation, but you're able to assist the customer and resolve any issues without having to relay on any outside services or systems.
Pros
Benefits, Paid time off, Healthcare
Cons
Work/life balance, Highly stressful, lack of direction
Productive and proactive
Proximity Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 4, 2019
Great people and place to work. Quick paced with positive attitudes. Management is supportive and proactive with employees. Team mates value each other
An awesome company to work for.
COMPLEX BODILY INJURY CLAIM REP (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 6, 2019
My career at State Farm Insurance was invigorating as I was always learning something new. I worked several states and positions within the Company and loved each and every experience from being an Injury Claim Trainer, Complex Bodily Injury Claims Adjuster to Catastrophe work. I would love to rejoin State Farm in any capacity.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Wasn't very impressed
Auto Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 17, 2018
There were extenuating circumstances throughout the entire training process which changed the entire role I applied and was hired for.
Too much instability and change to properly train and prepare the agents.
Great company but way too harsh in their expectations when it came to the quota or SLA needed to be reached.
If Sate Farm really wanted their customers to feel cared about, we (employees) would have needed more time to file a full claim without cutting corners to save time.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, annual gifts, kind people
Cons
Scrutiny on performance/numbers daily, changed managers and procedure too often
Fine
Injury Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  columbia moJanuary 3, 2019
State Farm used to be a solid employer. There is still a career available for people who want to move to a hub location. The work is steady and a fast past call center environment.
What I learned
Fire Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 4, 2019
This was definitely the place to get an education in insurance. There is no doubt when I was there education courses and accreditation were very much a focus. The schooling and licensing I received prepared me for essentially a 10 year career.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Stability and stress
The environment and culture are great!
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2019
I would return to this company in a heartbeat if it was possible! Absolutely loved this company! Not one bad thing to say! The best thing was management understood and listened to your concerns!
Pros
Team building activites, great advancement oppurtunities
Cons
Can be high stress during catastrophic events
Customery oriented satisfying work enviornment
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Greeley, CO 80634January 27, 2019
I greatly enjoyed the opportunity to help insureds pay for their medical bills due to car accidents. A typical day consisted of setting up new claims and reviewing the bills for existing claims. Time management could be stressful, but my manager listened to my concerns. The hardest part of the job was that it was being relocated and during the transition process we did not have enough people working in our area to meet the needs of the number of claims we were processing. The most enjoyable part was being able to help people by paying for their bills and giving them peace of mind. The workplace culture was very friendly and always geared towards bettering our lives with frequent seminars about eating well and work life balance and other topics to improve our day-to-day lives as employees.
Pros
Nice cafeteria, helping people, friendly work atmosphere
Cons
Stressful workloads, indefinite mandatory overtime
Claims
Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  SE OhioDecember 27, 2018
State Farm is a good place to work. there is some stress involved, but the company wants to provide a balance between work and private life. The culture at State Farm is moving into a positive place.
Claims Representative
No-Fault Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Mendota Heights, MNNovember 21, 2018
Faste paced environment. It provided me with excellent opportunities to grow as much as I could (due to the limtation of Management positions) and be part of committees where I would develop further my leadership skills. Had to be in compliance with the state laws and the policies. The hardest part of the job was not being able to help our customers over the amount of policy limits for their treatment. The workplace culture was diversed and we had an open door policy with management. A typical day at work consisted on handling our cases throught the day, meetings and occassionally field trips to visit medical providers or the customers.
Pros
The hours were flexible
Cons
There was not much opportunity to work from home back when I worked there
Very enlightening
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 6, 2018
Very enlightening but shortly enjoyed due to no advancement opportunities at the time. I would advise anyone looking to work here to do their own research
This was a fast paced environment staffed with great people.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 3, 2018
A typical day included handling a lot of phone calls, investigating if claims were covered according to the policy, constant communication with policyholders, caseworkers, attorneys, and medical providers.

I learned how to think quick on my feet, how to remain calm in the midst of irate policyholders, and how to negotiate when there was not a clear cut answer.

My manager was great. He listened well and offered great ideas and solutions. He was also very supportive.

Our workplace culture was sometimes stressful but we were all on the same page as far as providing great customer service.

The hardest part of the job was having to decline request from policyholders that were not covered under the policy and the policyholder not understanding why it was not covered. But on the other end of the spectrum, it was quite satisfying to hear a policyholder thank you for helping them out in their time of need.
Pros
Working with fun, interesting people. Working for a large, well known company.
Cons
Sometimes the number of claims were overwhelming.
Company is falling apart
Claim Representative- Homeowners & Auto (Former Employee) –  Concordville, PANovember 2, 2018
I worked for State Farm for 12 years. It was a great company many years ago. Unfortunately, they no longer value their employees. Management can be very sneaky, there are definitely clicks. They are making it impossible to advance, unless you are willing to uproot your entire family and move across the country on your own dime. I have witnessed long term employees be let go due to outsourcing, while other departments were hiring for the same position. There is extreme lack of communication and care for work/life balance. It is a shame to see a great company turn into such a nightmare.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Micro-management, corporate games
Had break room
ILR Claims Rep (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 23, 2018
It was an okay work environment. Poor management and lack of direction. They expected employees to be perfect and it was not a very relaxed environment.
Enjoyed the co-workers there
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GANovember 5, 2018
Working there now has changed considerably since I have worked there. Working there at first felt like family but that is no longer the case. The main objective is all about the bottom dollar.
Pros
Helping people in their time of need
Cons
No good perks for the employees
Time Management is a must. Like every job, there are ups and downs.
Personal Injury Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 30, 2018
Overall, a sold company to work for. Since the company has been in transition for the past few years, many offices are closing. Thus, causing a lot of stress for families. The vision of the company has changed, as the main focus is on the numbers, and less about the people. Direct management that you report to is very good. Very sympathetic and works hard to accommodate their own employee.
Pros
I've had good management over the years.
Cons
A little challenging to get time off.
State Farm was great company to work for and learn alot.
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Long Island, New YorkOctober 15, 2018
I obtained a lot of experience from the company. I hope to find another company with same goals and experience which would help me in my career. I had a lot of enjoyable days at work and helping the company reach it's goals.
great career opportunity
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAOctober 13, 2018
comprehensive training and support, set schedule and competitive pay, benefits are excellent. Diverse and inclusive staff with many opportunities for advancement
Good training, excellent stability
Claims representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 30, 2018
State Farm above all, trains it employees. The training is excellent, the benefits are good, and salary is competitive The only down side is every few years the Company "reorganizes" under new executive leadership, and employee mobility is necessary to accomplish this.
Pros
Pay, benfits, traininhg
Cons
You'll be asked to move if you wish stay with the company.
Work Life
Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 25, 2018
While working at State Farm it was hard at time to have a complete work-life balance because what was required from you out of the job. The job at times could be stressful.

53.4K
42.6K
31.9K

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight