State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews for Claims Specialist

Found 358 reviews matching the search See all 9,037 reviews
Stressful
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 15, 2019
Claims is full of incompetent people. Prepare to have to fix other claims specialists' mistakes constantly. Certain claims offices are notorious for doing as little work as possible, and you are the one who will pay for it.

Pay is not great compared to other companies in the industry.

You will have your whole day off work decided for you. You will be treated like a child.
Pros
Pay is alright
Cons
Stressful and not a great work life balance
I would not recommend
Claim Specialist Combined Owned/Large Loss/Task (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 14, 2019
State Farm has lost all culture based on the original company. Everything is now based on numbers. And even if you are the highest producer in an area they will cut you based on the highest salary instead of on your evaluations or your experience.
Claim professionals Avoid
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 12, 2019
State Farm has changed a great deal in the years I have been employed here. This company is no longer concerned with their customers but due to poor management and lack of direction are now only concerned with churning out poorly handled claims as fast as they can. Leadership at all levels are actively attempting to protect their jobs and place blame for the problems their claim department are suffering upon the employees. This company is to be avoided by anyone other than those trying to begin a career in claims.
Poor management, claim quota
Medical Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 8, 2019
The executives were completely disconnected from what was needed to be done. What was once a customer service focused environment became essentially a factory. Overworked and underpaid staff, management who only wanted to look good in front of higher up executives, and the training was abyssal. Time clock system that gives points so management can fire you for no reason.
Pros
Decent pay after you prove yourself
Cons
Very poor management
Not the same company it was
Auto Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAJanuary 5, 2019
State Farm offers great benefits and pay. Front line management is typically very good. Upper management is questionable. The company is in the process of restructuring their claim model from a highly customer focused environment to a high volume call center environment. Over the past few years the staffing has been inadequate to keep up with production goals and provide the type of high quality service State Farm built its reputation on.
Pros
Pay, benefits, front line managers
Cons
Understaffed, very difficult to meet customer need due to staffing.
Stressful environment
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 3, 2019
Don’t work here. It’s a horrible environment and the managers don’t care about you, all they want is the high quota reached. It’s an absolute toxic place to be and I have panic attacks whilst being there.
Good company
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 2, 2019
Good company to work for. Enjoyed the relationships established within the company. Service driven, committed to its policy holders and their insuring agreement.
Culture, Management and Job
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CADecember 30, 2018
Fellow employees and management make State Farm a great place to work.

Claim Specialist job can be stressful with high volume inventories. However, State Farm provides great training and advanced applications to work efficiently.
Terrible
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 29, 2018
Overworked and underpaid. Terrible work life balance. Zero respect for employees. Mandatory overtime or loss of paid time off. Job freeze, so unable to apply for other positions in company.
THings are chaging
Auto Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 29, 2018
I used to love working for the company. Even after they announced they were moving I still enjoyed myself. As the move was implemented and we started to feel the effects of new staff things changed. Quality of work changed, expectations changed, attitudes changed.

We became increasingly more focused on quantity instead of quality and that was a difficult change for many of us who had been proud that the company cares about its customer's experiences as well as the employees.
Overworked employees that lack sympathy
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIDecember 27, 2018
The company was more worried about how much time, you spent on the phone versus how effectively you were able to assist a customer. Very big downfall. State Farm has closed so many offices and left so many employees without work, very sad changes the company has gone through.
Once great company has taken a turn
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 23, 2018
When I first joined, I was promised easy career advancement and an un-beat company culture, as number 1 in the industry. Since, with the change of executive level leadership, the company itself has suffered not only on a record low growth level, but more so with employee morale. Many tenured and experienced employees have left due to these changes and this has forced inexperienced individuals with small amounts of industry knowledge into impressionable roles. The enterprise has become extremely competitive, and has caused an uprising of worn out employees.

I have learned a vast array of different types of experiences at State Farm and the value of providing a quality work product as a leader in the industry.

The hardest part of the job is unrealistic expectations for employees to meet the quality of work expected. The most enjoyable part is providing a promise to insureds, by being an industry leader.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, full-time benefits for part-time employees, resources
Cons
Management does not understand role for direct reports, negative environment, high stress
Changing Company
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  DuPont, WADecember 17, 2018
Company environment is changing.

Great Benefits but lots of overtime which makes work-life balance challenging.

Employee Morale is low.

Call Center environment.
Not Too bad
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 17, 2018
I just didn't really enjoy negotiating claims, I guess I just wasn't strong enough to tell people what their lives were worth after injuries from an accident.
Pros
good pay if you're into overtime
Cons
I hated working nights.
Great Benefits
Complex Bodily Injury Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 12, 2018
I worked at State Farm for appx 5 yrs and was able to double my starting salary after two promotions. State Farm's starting salary ranges are slightly lower than competitors; however, the benefits offered make it worthwhile. I would recommend working for State Farm solely for the excellent benefits & job security.
Pros
healthcare, company 401(k) match and annual performance bonus
Cons
non-competitive starting salaries compared to other insurance companies & unreasonable expectations
Great Company...but things are changing.
Injury Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHDecember 11, 2018
This was and has been at times recently, a great company to work for. However, there has been a transition for the last few years and the stress level has gone way up. The workload is at its tipping point for most people and several changes made across the enterprise are not in line with what always made SF a great place to work in the past. Its a strong company financially and they traditionally provide good job security; however, it seems a lot of decisions being made are not with employee's best interest at heart or are made to improve the bottom line without much input from the employees. What did not appear to be broken, is now trying to be fixed. SF always took care of their employees well (i.e. pension, benefits, salary). But money isn't everything and as a result more and more people are looking to move on. Its harder to find great things to say about working here with each passing week.
Pros
Competitive pay, benefits, still have a pension
Cons
Understaffed, declining morale, concerns about where jobs will be located in the future metropolitan hubs vs regional offices
Fun well structured work place
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 10, 2018
This job was awesome. The people hired were great most of the managers were amazing at their jobs. State Farm as a company really focuses on their values and make sure their workers are in line with those values.
Don't work here
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GADecember 8, 2018
After 10 yrs with this company I am making less than $50K per yr. This is after having over 2 yrs experience as a Claim Specialist and over 5 yrs in a claims role altogether. Getting promoted is very difficult if you are not an extroverted person who can make jokes and entertain your Team Manager. There are people who have much less time with the company than me who are able to work the 7-3:00 shift while I am on the late shift. They have us bid on shifts based on our sonority and performance but apparently they don't go by this. My performance rating has been a 2/2 every single quarter, every single yr since I've worked here (I've definitely deserved higher). My manager told me the other day I am an average employee (not true). There is no chance for development. They have a hold on releasing people from departments for other opportunities since they have failed to properly staff - they're calling it a stabilization period. You will not be able to reach your financial goals with this company. The pay is soooo low. Well below industry average which is $55K per yr for a Claim Specialist. They had us on 3 months of mandatory OT. The culture is depressing. Everyone is overworked and underpaid. Also, the micromanagement is insane. You will spend every waking minute trying to monitor too many things all while trying to work a claim. It's ridiculous the amount of things they have put on us for the low pay. And if you do less in the claim, you are seen as a good employee since you were able to meet their numbers (metrics). If you spend too much time (they give you 12 mins after call  more... time) trying to pay attention to detail, making sure you have all the information and called everyone needed then you are unable to meet their ridiculous 12 min standard and your numbers look bad. So if you are like me, who wants things done right so you're constantly fixing errors others have made or doing things others should've done, then you look bad while the ones who didn't do their job look good. I have never seen a company reward bad behaviors - State Farm is the first.  less
Pros
job security, health benefits, pension
Cons
no opportunities, low pay, must be extroverted for management support of your career advancement
Decent Starting Salary That Never Goes Up
Injury Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GANovember 30, 2018
I started with State Farm in 2012 at $37K and worked my way up to $55K in 6 years, however during that time period the minimum salary for my position shifted above my actual pay twice and it had to be bumped up. By my last year there, i was earning the same as the people I was training, not to mention all the extra work/side projects that were placed on me.

This place works you to the bone and then when you can't handle it anymore and leave, they just replace you with another person and do not attempt to keep talent in any way. Tier 2/3 level injury reps (UM coverage claims, fatalities, serious injuries, litigation claims, etc) were handling caseloads of 300+ on average. I personally had 320 when I left and the number was growing weekly. That was 320 claims with multiple injury exposures and property damage exposures per file. Likely over 1000 total exposures were being handled by one rep at any given point. I was not an outlier, i was the norm.
Pros
401K match and Penson
Cons
Everything else
Training is good
Claim Specialist - Homeowners Claims (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 28, 2018
Enjoyed my job. Handled claims and got to use my customer service skills and learn about Policies and Bi-Laws and all aspects of the Insurance world. It opened me up to bigger heights.

53.3K
42.6K
31.9K

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight