State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews for Claims Specialist

Found 317 reviews matching the search See all 8,250 reviews
Good job with fair pay
Catastrophe Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLSeptember 20, 2018
Fair company I have been with for many years. The training they provide is top in the nation. The skills learned during my time with State Farm I will be able to succeed in the future.
Field Claim Representative
Field Assignment Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Met with customers at their residence or place of work to discuss claim aspects. Conducted scene investigations. Drove to customer and gave personal attention to their claims.
Cons
Leadership not transparent. No worklife balance.
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 20, 2018
No worklife balance. No flexibility in schedule. No team building. No job stability. Cold and cut throat climate. Employees just numbers, not people. Workplace environment not conductive team work and freedom to grow and to learn from others.
Pros
401k and Pension
Cons
Short breaks, not able to get time off needed, no advancement
Good Benefits
Auto Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COSeptember 18, 2018
The company has changed in recent years and has become less focused on providing a work environment that supports a work/life balance. The upper management has set unreasonably high demands on the front line employees, creating a very low moral amongst many employees.
State Farm hired good people for the most part.
Claim Specialist Property (Former Employee) –  All over the USSeptember 17, 2018
The company is changing. There has to be a paradigm shift as more and more people are doing business on line and not dealing with agents as much. Since that is State Farm's identity, they need to adapt.
Great pay and bonuses. Company Culture degrading rapidly
Claim Specialist (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDSeptember 16, 2018
What a wonderful company in terms of pay and benefits. Truly you are well compensated in the industry. Sadly, the company now sees its employees as adversaries and no longer part of the larger company solution.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of regard for employees (“good pay should be enough”)
Over worked
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 12, 2018
Management is horrible. Your unable to balance home and work life. The benefits are great though. I do miss the great relationships I’ve build with people at the company.
Benefits
Cons
Management. Over worked
Years of services
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeSeptember 10, 2018
I worked for my employer for many years prior to my territory being eliminated. I enjoyed my job and continued to learn new things that were changing during that time after I knew my job was ended. If my position had not moved out of state I would have continued to work and enjoying all aspects of my job. I thrive in a challenging environment.
Great company culture
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2018
Interface with customers to assess claim, field inspection to determine insurance coverage, assess and estimate damage.
The work schedule is flexible, relies on independent thinking and problem solving.
The hardest part of the job is denying coverage.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers over come the unexpected.
Pros
flexibility and compensation
Cons
can be face pace and stressful
Workload unbearable to balance work/life
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2018
State Farm is the best insurance company to gain claim experience. Recent changes have created an environment not favorable to their standards of remarkable customers service. The expectation to manage unrealistic workloads coupled with under staffing due to high turnover has created an ongoing stressful work environment.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Poor morale
Overwhelming workload with too many priorities that changed weekly.
Bodily Injury Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 24, 2018
It started as a great company to work for until the claims department focus became all about metrics and getting off the “list” of the week. This new focus made it very stressful to perform the job and difficult to provide quality customer service. It became all about impressing upper management or consultants vs the customers we serve. The response was get it done while we also reduce and eventually eliminate overtime. The morale declined as employees began to quit weekly and their inventories were dumped on existing employees as if we were not already overwhelmed with pending claims.
Pros
Fun coworkers
Cons
No capacity for time off, unfair absence system, all employees complain about status quo
Injury Claim Specialist
Injury Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 23, 2018
The job is high pressure. You are dealing with a ton of money and lawsuits from injury and death claims. One mistake can cost the company millions and you can lose your job in an instant. The company does not value their employees is very unorganized. The company is constantly changing and put too much pressure on their employees to perform well. You are expected to do it all when you are an injury claim specialist. The expectations are unrealistic. My manager was amazing however, it is corporate that is the problem. They treat the managers at our hub horribly too. It is sad to see that people that have been loyal to the company for 20+ years are treated horribly by the company. The new CEO runs the company like a cutthroat business now where money is all that matters. The family and good neighbor culture State Farm was known for is long gone.

I left because job security was zero, the morale of the people in the office was awful, and the company was extremely unorganized. I love my team, however, the people at State Farm are fantastic it is Corporate in Bloomington and their non-existent leadership is why so many customers are going to other insurance companies. I got off the ship while I could. State Farm is a sinking ship right now.
Pros
My team, good pay, good benefits.
Cons
Unorganized, horrible leadership, unrealistic expectations
Has become a disappointment
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIAugust 20, 2018
State Farm use to be a wonderful place to work! It has since gone down hill. They no longer care about their employees and somehow believe they are running a factory now. They are looking to get rid of there highest paid and most qualified people. It's sad. m
Worked at State Farm Insurance and loved it. Would love to work for them again if there is an opening in my area. Excellent company that is moving on.
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 20, 2018
There are many changes being implemented at State Farm. It was a terrific company to work for and I appreciated all of the opportunities that they afforded to me over the years.
Pros
Job security for a very long time.
Cons
My postition was eliminated in my territory.
too strict not enough pay
CLAIMS SPECIALIST WEATHER CATASTROPHE (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2018
State Farm has a low wage compared to other companies for same job.

State Farm is too strict with their T2 point system.

The managers have too much power to be incompetent.

The CEO is shady according to the whispers.

Best thing is- there are always jobs and opportunities to get promoted.
Dysfunctional
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2018
The hub in Dallas is severely mismanaged. It's all about the metrics not customer service. I was actually reprimanded for spending too much time on the phone with customers! Making first contact is the cornerstone of quality claim handling. Quality is no longer a concern to state farm. Beware potential employees and customers.
Pros
Tenured employees are paid well
Cons
No concern for the customer or employees
moved jobs to lowing paying areas
Auto Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYAugust 16, 2018
my position was moved across the country. the pay would have been lower and the areas that the company moved to were not safe areas. lots of traffic issues so the commute was over an hour.
Pros
good pay at first
Cons
moved all jobs across the country
Solid company with good pay but little job security
Auto Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 15, 2018
The pay and benefits are good but management will seek to let go experienced people to save money when business is not going well. Cheaper to hire replacements at lower pay/benefits.
Pros
Salary & benefits
Cons
Work schedule and job security
Not what it used to be
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 14, 2018
I worked in claims.

Local management was typically great and supportive.
The same held true for my coworkers.

My job was best I have ever had until a few years ago when new top leadership started consolidating offices, implementing a pure call center environment and putting more emphasis on metrics. People who have had many years with State Farm have either left or have been let go for not being able to meet these call center metrics.

Despite being told otherwise, the person who can meet all their phone call handling targets, but may not fully service the customer, will be looked on better than the person who resolves issues in the first call but may not meet call metrics.

The environment is very micromanaged. For my role, your entire day would be planned out regarding working phones, tasks or lunches/breaks. There was some flexibility with this schedule but not much.

While benefits were good, there were issues with time off. Only a certain number of people were allowed to be off at any given time. The time that was available was not even close to meeting the demand. This was especially true for Mondays, Fridays and the summer months. There is mandatory overtime and my understanding is it has been in place for more than a year at my old office.

Claim handling is a challenge. You are working with people when they have suffered a loss and, sometimes, not at their most pleasant. The satisfaction comes when you can resolve claim in a complete and fair manner and leave them pleased with the process. The new State Farm has lost sight of this.
  more...

If you are younger, looking for something short term and want to learn and gain skills, State Farm is a good choice. Otherwise, look elsewhere for a career.
Pros
Benefits, pay, local management and coworkers
Cons
Draconian micromanagement, access to time off and top management
Day to Day
CLAIM SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAAugust 13, 2018
A work a at State Farm the call volume can be very high and customers can be difficult. I was able to balance the call and tasks the was required of me day to day. I had a great attitude and that reflected in my ability to be consistent and my rapport with State Farm customers and Non- State Farm customers and their Attorneys.
Pros
Great benefits and Pay
Cons
I have None

53.1K
42.4K
31.7K

Diversity score

63out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company.

Powered by Comparably