State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews for Underwriter

Found 114 reviews matching the search See all 9,551 reviews
Was a great place to work long ago
Property/Casualty Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHApril 18, 2019
I feel so sorry for the poor folks that work there now.
I know they are all just hoping to make it to retirement without getting fired for accruing too many 'points' for being late from lunch or
going to the bathroom or whatever. My gosh...I can't imagine working in such abysmal conditions.

When I worked there it was bad enough, most of us in our department were on anti anxiety medication and anti depressants just to get through. Those that worked hard were rewarded with more work. Those that didn't, just seemed to get away with it. White males and minorities seemed to fare the best. It was very strange.

If this is indeed the 'way of the future', no thanks. This culture of watching your every move, measuring your every keystroke is so very 'Handmaid's Tale'.
Great Company to Work for
Commercial Fire Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJApril 16, 2019
I enjoyed working here, this job has helped me grow my career in the Insurance Arena. I was able to attend college full-time and get promoted while I was there once I obtained my degree.
Regular 9 to 5
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 12, 2019
I found it a fine place to work and enjoyed it for several years. However, it became a bit of a bore and I wanted a new challenge and to move back to my home town.
On their way down
Personal Lines Auto Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 18, 2019
With the growth of GEICO and Progressive State Farm is toppling from the top. As they try and make changes to keep policyholders, that means more and more sacrifices from the employees.
Pros
Average pay, job security, immediate supervisor is usually good.
Cons
Increasing stress, micro-managing, TOO many metrics
Great Place to work
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Now Nebraska, I think eventually ArizonaJanuary 2, 2019
State Farm had the opposite problem Blue Cross had, no one quit working at State Farm, they retired from State Farm. It was a very pleasant place to work and many opportunities for advancement. State Farm believed in making the employee happy to make a better worker. They worked with the employee to help the growth of the employee so they could advance and take advantage of the opportunities available. It wasn't just all about the numbers, they wanted a quality too.

State Farm had a good IT department too. Where Blue Cross had a very poor IT.
Pros
Management, It, support for employees, pleasant atmosphere
Cons
Moved out of State.
Just Ok
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 12, 2018
Loved the team I worked with which made the tough days not as tough. The company itself is constantly going though changes which are not always be in the best interest of the employees and workflow.
Not the same
Personal Lines Fire Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 10, 2018
After some consolidation, they're closing many offices and requiring people to relocate to the hub locations. The morale in the office decreased once they announced these changes.
Pros
benefits package
Cons
mico managers
Future opportunity in AZ, IL, GA & TX only
Loan Underwriter (Former Employee) –  MissouriDecember 5, 2018
State Farm is now under new leadership and heading a new direction, the future is bright in 4 areas of the country, but the rest of us are suffering as they move from being a good neighbor to a distant relative. They are a giant in the industry, so change is rapidly adopted but poorly executed.
Cost-cutting is top of mind, so many perks have diminished, taking morale along with it. Time clocks were recently implemented for professional roles as well. Thousands of jobs were eliminated to "save money" yet many were paid relocations to the hubs - so its not so clear how that did much good.
As a long-time employee and faithful supporter of this company, it was very hard to walk away, yet the future is not bright enough to make me stay.
Pros
Casual dress for your day, Co-workers, Pension plan & 401k matching, annual bonus & raises for high performers
Cons
lack of advancement if not in a hub location, technology is limited
A good company to work for, unfriendly atmosphere
Underwriting Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 1, 2018
It was a pleasant experience working for the company. The job was very repetitive and was stressful when the workload was heavy. I didn't like only doing one task all day long.
Horrible management, work life balance, and pay.
AUTO UNDERWRITER (Current Employee) –  Perimeter Center Dunwoody, GANovember 19, 2018
This company has horrible management, work life balance, and pay. The company does not promote a healthy work life balance. Many employees suffer from anxiety and depression.
Changes
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Johns Creek, GANovember 17, 2018
It's a big company with many seasoned employees. The job culture is different than it used to be. Work life balance is sometimes an issue now. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will return to being a great company to work for.
Its a great company to work for, management style and culture is very different.
Fire Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 15, 2018
The job itself was stressful, very demanding and seemed like production numbers are priority over quality. Management is kind of control, I joined as they were offering work from home in the near future and later decided not to offer.
Pros
job security
Cons
stressful environment
Inclusive and Collaborative Place to work at.
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNNovember 5, 2018
It is a great place to learn and develop your skills. Team mates are caring and willing to help. It is like joining your second family.
Great place to work at!!
good workplace
Underwriter Corporate (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COOctober 29, 2018
It is slow for change but overall a great company to work with. The company is very into education and making employees feel valued but also replaceable
Pros
great resources
Cons
micromanaged
Great benefits
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 28, 2018
I really loved working for State Farms corporate office. I wanted to retire from this company, but they started having problems and started laying off many people and that's when I started looking. I didn't want to be one of the many that were laid off.
Doesn't Value Employees
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILSeptember 27, 2018
In the last few years, this company has taken a shift toward bending over backwards for agents and customers, but ignoring employees. Pay is below industry average, and the company keeps cutting benefits. Employees are expected to grind through the daily workload, but aren't rewarded on the back end. Management has made it clear that employee well-being is at the bottom of their list of priorities.
Pros
The buildings are clean
Cons
Low pay, minimal support, outdated systems, poor management
Rewarding and challenging work environment
Auto Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYAugust 27, 2018
Each day is a refreshing challenge in a collaborative work environment that fosters diversity of ideas. Management is flexible and readily available and willing to provide guidance and opportunities for career development provided that you are mobile. Learning is constant through challenging work processes and procedures requiring continous improvement and sill development.
Pros
Excellent worklife balance, competitive pay, great benefits, challenging work
Cons
Future opportunities require relocation out of state
be warned
Personal Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNAugust 21, 2018
long hours low pay and the agents are very greedy they care about sales and growth not doing what is right for customer. too much overlay and red tape
Relaxed yet Professional Place to Work
Auto Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 19, 2018
Relaxed yet professional place to work. Great place for leadership development and career development. However pay is typically below industry average.
Pros
Benefits, Pension plan, matching 401k
Cons
Below average salary
Changing with the times.
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILAugust 16, 2018
State Farm is a good company with decent benefits. They are working and changing with the times to make their environment, salaries, and benefits more appealing to the millennial generation to be more competitive in the job market for those under 30. However, for older generations, the pay scale and employee appreciation is not what it should be or needs to be to maintain the loyalty of any long-term workforce.

53.5K
42.7K
32K

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

74%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

59%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss