State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews for Underwriter

Found 117 reviews matching the search See all 9,761 reviews
be warned
Personal Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNAugust 21, 2018
long hours low pay and the agents are very greedy they care about sales and growth not doing what is right for customer. too much overlay and red tape
Relaxed yet Professional Place to Work
Auto Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 19, 2018
Relaxed yet professional place to work. Great place for leadership development and career development. However pay is typically below industry average.
Pros
Benefits, Pension plan, matching 401k
Cons
Below average salary
Changing with the times.
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILAugust 16, 2018
State Farm is a good company with decent benefits. They are working and changing with the times to make their environment, salaries, and benefits more appealing to the millennial generation to be more competitive in the job market for those under 30. However, for older generations, the pay scale and employee appreciation is not what it should be or needs to be to maintain the loyalty of any long-term workforce.
decent pay with benefits
Lead Credit Underwriter IV (Current Employee) –  Earth City, MOJuly 24, 2018
full time work weeks
ability to grasp work skills and knowledge
constant management transitions
limited work life balance
irregular work shifts
helping consumers
benefits
Cons
short breaks
Cool place
underwriter (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 9, 2018
Culture has changed since I started to work here. Lots of people being laid off. Even if you participate in tuition reimbursement program, they rather hire people outside of the company, rather than people already working for the company.
Pros
45 minutes lunch break
Cons
Hard to advance if not interested in management
Work/life balance is important in my department
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJuly 4, 2018
Work/life is emphasized as being very important.
and is focused on by management.

Benefits - health, dental, vision, life, 401k are a great opportunity to take advantage of.
Pros
Good benes
Cons
pay
A place for a college grad with no family and kids
Commercial Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 27, 2018
I started as a commercial underwriter on the production team. I was moved to the contact center where we answered calls from agents needing help with whatever. So I was hired as an underwriter and was told I was an underwriter but in actuality I was essentially a customer service/help desk associate. Not to mention they use a workforce management system which tells you when to take breaks and when to go to lunch. The one good thing about it was the wonderful people I worked with. We always lifted each other up and kept each other motivated
Changes = Downsizing :(
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 26, 2018
I started with this company and saw myself as retiring from this career. However, as times change and the company changes, things shifted and drastic measures including downsizing and relocation to other states. I was not willing to relocate and so I made the decision to further my education and attend grad school to enable a diverse background for employment.
Pros
Benefits; relationships; opportunites
Cons
Downsizing; relocating
Get ready for Training
Auto Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2018
Constant training, need to meet/exceed daily goals, salary is not competitive, little to no opportunity to advancement, vacation days and benefits are fair.
Good Company .. Just grew too fast during my tenure...
Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2018
Good Company .. Just Grew Too Fast When during my tenure...

Meet a lot of Amazing People

Learned a lot of skills

No Room for Growth

Workplace Culture took a downward shift
Fun work place
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 31, 2018
Fast-paced, thriving environment where you are able to assist customers on a daily basis and learn how to properly document and research to meet the needs of company
Good employer
Auto Underwriter, Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MIMay 25, 2018
My review would be unfair because it has been over 20 years since I worked there and the company has made several changes. The compensation was very good, the company was a good employer.
Production-oriented environment, very fast-paced
Auto Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMay 13, 2018
Production-oriented environment, very fast-paced. Less emphasis on quality and more on numbers. Training at the beginning was good. Future is uncertain for some positions and therefore a stressful environment.
Pros
Christmas gift, Discounts, Free items, Park
Cons
Very regimented and production driven
Micromanagement to the max
Auto Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 4, 2018
This is one company that has good benefits, but the culture is still ran by managers with a lack of engagement and more about obtaining the numbers at all cost.
Benefits
summary of workplace
Commercial lines underwriting specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2018
The workplace is ok, management iso ok, workplace is ok. Hardest part about the job is the systems are old, the training is not good, and the pay is horrible. The most enjoyable part of the job is food day.
Pros
Food day free lunches
Cons
bad pay, training is not good
Taking a bit too long to move forward.
Underwriting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 10, 2018
I am an early adopter of change and appreciate where technology is taking us as whole. That said, I believe we are getting away from ourselves and losing the human connection that made us who/what we are today.
I enjoyed the years that I worked at State Farm. I made some wonderful and life friends while I worked there.
Life Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 9, 2018
I worked in the branch in Monroe, La for 3 years. That department closed and I was relocated to Austin for 12 years. In 3/2016, my job ended. I relocated to Forth Worth, Texas.

I worked in the branch office Austin, TX and I took phone calls daily when I worked in the call center. I also reviewed e-mails and called agents and agent's staff to give them status updates. Part of my job was reviewing applications, including labs and medical records. I was able to issue up to $250,000 without any assistance. My total underwriting was up to $500,000 with a table 10 rating, but would need the assistance of a Team leader.
Pros
They had great benefits
Cons
We were not allowed to do any activies.
Management Issues
Survey Analyst / Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAMarch 15, 2018
Half of the time managers were in meetings and could not be found. They are too worried about diversity, and not having the appropriate people in place.
Pros
Not Many
Cons
Cut Throat, no one has your back
Comfortable Spot to Work
Business Specialist / Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Rohnert Park, CAFebruary 28, 2018
State Farm Insurance is a great place it work. I remember it feeling like the closeness of a small business even though the company is pretty huge! They do a lot for their employees though. It's just important that you are willing to relocate.
Great benifits / Long Work hours
Commercial Lines / Fleet Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 7, 2018
The benefits were great but to complete all your work you would need to work a lot of OT to keep up with the workload. It provides you with a really nice pay but if you have children, like myself, you start finding yourself losing those moments with your children.
Pros
Benifits, Pay, Bonus
Cons
Work / Life balance

53.5K
42.8K
32.1K

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Reviews by Location