State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews for Underwriter

Found 117 reviews matching the search See all 9,766 reviews
Productive and fun and caring work environment
BUSINESS LINES, FIRE UNDERWRITER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 7, 2017
Structured environment with a heavy focus on production and quality. Great training and with managers that care. More schedule flexibility in a production role vs. contact center. Base pay appears to be below the industry standard however the benefits are solid and includes a pension. Enjoy the work and the people are amazing!
Pros
Culture and people
Cons
Compensation
Produciton type enviorment
Fire Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 1, 2017
This company has transitioned into a production base environment. There are many statistics that you are tracked on and held accountable for. Good benefits though.
Very good company to work for.
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Marina HeightsJanuary 2, 2017
I love the company . It is a great company to work for. This company is very family oriented. The organization as a whole is awesome.
High volume
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 15, 2016
The understood culture is high productivity and insurance designations to be considered for lateral moves or for a promotion. This is regardless of the degrees or prior skill sets an individual has.
Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 13, 2016
The company is pretty solid. Although, there is a change in the atmosphere where disconnect between leadership and staff is ever so present. No longer a boss employee family style environment but is now based on numbers and graphs to determine your keep. So you must be competitive in all that you do, as you should!

There is still a great potential for growth within this company ideally out of the state of California. If you want to move up make sure that you have a BA degree, any BA degree and immediately start insurance courses such as CPCU or CLU
Productive and Enjoyable place to work
Personal Lines Underwriter (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INNovember 9, 2016
I've been with State Farm for over 19 years and have enjoyed my tenure here. Quality benefits and advancement and growth is encouraged.
Starter Company
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAOctober 31, 2016
Work life balance is awful, the salary is not even at the low end of the scale for your position. Mid level managers are pretty good; upper level management is not very receptive to employee needs.
Cons
Lots
Productive Workplace
Auto Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAOctober 24, 2016
A typical day in underwriting is doing the same thing each day nothing changes.

I learned State Farms Underwriting process.

Management and coworkers were easy to work with.

The hardest part of the job is not being compensated equal to other underwriters from other companies.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the work schedule.
Good company to have service with.
Underwriting/Mutal Fund & Annuities Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 22, 2016
Call center environment which had a lot of clicks (e,ployees family members and close friends working there) making it hard to move up just on skill set.
Good internship opportunities
Auto Underwriting Intern (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYSeptember 9, 2016
Great place to gain experience in the business field.
Good opportunities for advancement and to try out different fields within the company.
OK pay..
Great new facility with an amazing training program
Personal Auto Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 31, 2016
State Farm puts a large amount of time and money into training new employees. The onboarding program is like nothing I have ever seen. The management staff is friendly and genuinely seems to care about the employees. The perks and benefits of working at State Farm are nice.
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 31, 2016
I have had great experiences working with State Farm; however, I feel I haven't had the opportunities I need to further develop my career.
Office job
Underwriter I (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 22, 2016
I have learned a lot about the insurance business because of State Farm. The main draw back is some of the management. Lots of pressure is put on them to put on the workers. So it's nice when you have a understanding manager, But if not then each day may not be that fun.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful environment
Company is ok but hard to advance
Commercial Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 16, 2016
Schedule is from 8am to 5pm. Early part of the day consisted of training. After training, applications were to reviewed for new and existing coverage.

The part I learned is you have to look deeper at what the agents and the policy holders are doing when trying to see if they are eligible for coverage regarding the classification of the business or what they are doing.

For the most part the co workers were ok but there were some that were just out for themselves.

Hardest part was trying to figure out at what the business was classified as or what they were doing regarding eligibility.

They really worked with you and your schedule and always taught you new things.
Pros
You were always learning something new.
Cons
Determining eligibility.
I really enjoy my job
Life Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 11, 2016
I enjoy helping people with their life insurance needs and to able to have life insurance to help secure their finances. I am planning on retiring and would like to obtain a part time job doing clerical work.
Great place to have a career and grow with a company.
Auto Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJune 7, 2016
At State Farm I held many job duties, my last job duty I was an Auto Underwriter that turned into a Call Center type job. As an Auto Underwriter you are responsible for analyzing the data in the insurance application forms and determining the credit worthiness of the application.
Management was great, however, not supportive in a time of need.
Co-workers were great, it is nice when you can have co-workers and create true friendships from a job.
Hardest part of the job was leaving a company that used to be a great place to work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility we had as we were in a professional position.
Pros
Great hours and benefits
Cons
Stable company with no real direction
Auto Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 19, 2016
Answered 60 plus calls per day from agents and their staff members. I learned a great deal abt the underwriting process. Management was horrible. No real direction. Tried every day to plug the leaks rather than fix the overall problems. My co workers wer polite and supportive. The hardest part of the job was listening to every caller complain about how so many of the processes had changed and were wrong. Talking with folks and helping educate them on fixibg their issues.
Pros
made life long friendships
Cons
30 minute lunch break
Job culture is boring
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 16, 2016
I work in the underwriting team. The employees I think are like robots. There is no interaction and this makes the workplace not fun. Very slow to increase pay. Good training. Training was the only fun part of it. The new building is nice and modern and has many restaurants on the first floor.
Cons
very stingy company.
Field Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, INFebruary 8, 2016
Enjoyed my time and experience at State Farm. Good place to work. Benefits and salaries are good. Expanding with a lot of opportunities.
underwriting (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 23, 2016
The company is a great company to work for. However if you work in Dallas Tx the management is not very good. There seems to be too many unqualified new managers with only a few years experience and they are not trained nor prepared to lead a team. The hardest part of the job is the amount of training that you will continue to get over time. The most enjoyable part of the job is the chance to meet new people.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Poor Management and HR

53.5K
42.8K
32.1K

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Reviews by Location