State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 8,895 reviews matching the search See all 9,031 reviews
Great Benefits
Complex Bodily Injury Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 12, 2018
I worked at State Farm for appx 5 yrs and was able to double my starting salary after two promotions. State Farm's starting salary ranges are slightly lower than competitors; however, the benefits offered make it worthwhile. I would recommend working for State Farm solely for the excellent benefits & job security.
Pros
healthcare, company 401(k) match and annual performance bonus
Cons
non-competitive starting salaries compared to other insurance companies & unreasonable expectations
Good benefits, but training could be better
Express Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 31, 2018
The benefits at State Farm are really good. The pay is reasonable for the amount of work done everyday. You do get two months of training prior to going out on the floor, but the training isn't up to date with new processes and procedures. Also, each manager likes things done differently. The lack of uniformity sometimes causes confusion for employees and, not surprisingly, customers too.
Benefits
Cons
Uniformity
Get a good agent or you will regret it.
Customer sales representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 13, 2018
I was hired in with a new agent, my coworkers and I had no previous insurance experience but were told we would get all the training we would need. This did not happen at all we were left to sink or swim. We were not allowed to ask questions of our agent or for help. In her 5 months of being open she has already had 4 people quite or be fired. I will soon be leaving as well due to being underpaid for my position. No one in the office has made commission as the requirements are set to high. Would not work for another state farm ever again.
Pros
Free food sometimes, birthday lunch
Cons
Not alot of PTO, promised we would get a base salary but at times we didn't, poor management skills, no training
Dependent on the agent you work with
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WADecember 9, 2018
Overall, State Farm is a really great and for filling company that looks less about making that extra dollar and more at helping people be covered with insurance for whatever life throws at them. The only thing that threw me off was having a very new agent. I'm not saying all new agents don't know what their doing, but I would recommend being wary of who you will be working with and how much time you will be spending around that person.
Pros
for filling job, good pay, great compensation
Cons
Lack of structure with new agent, too much being asked of you
Fun and energetic place to work.
Sales & Acquisitions (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2019
I learned a lot about time management and keep track of all open cases. Beginning of day looks like gathering all your task for the day. Making sure that all the most important task are taken care of. Then you begin with your cases, then you can be looking at a few hours of cold calling to try and build the pipeline.
Pros
Hour lunch, flexible with personal life, motivational enviorment
Cons
Can be stressful, numbers are a huge factor
Great training
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 6, 2018
My position is very technical. Training took 2 years, and a lot more is learned on the job. I have learned a ton about insurance.
Metrics increase constantly and micromanaging is an issue. We used to have so much more offered to us as employees and we've slowly lost everything (employee-led activities, on site dry cleaner, company store, work/life balance). As a result morale has plummeted. I'm personally still there just waiting for our office to close and collect severance.
Pros
Pension plan, benefits package
Cons
I'm not making a livable wage
Company is undergoing major changes to compete in the marketplace while minimizing operational cost.
Supervisor, Facilites Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 4, 2018
Restructuring of the Administrative services department resulted in the Facilities maintenance being outsourced. I opted to take severance rather than competing for a position that o was not interested in.
State Farm has been a great company to work for. I had 29 years before opting to leave.
Pros
competitive pay, good environment.
Cons
Undergoing significant changes creating instability in employment, workload can be stressful at times
Agency or bust
Auto Sales Intern, assistant, and specialist (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLDecember 5, 2018
State Farm is a good company to work for and grow in if you work with a great agency. I have experienced the company at all 3 levels (Bad, moderate, and great). While this job will provide you with great sales experience, it is not a long term career path unless you discover that you would like to pursue becoming an agent. Benefits vary between agency, but usually there really isn't much. Culture varies by office, research accordingly.
Pros
Good sales experience
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, little benefits
Great just to gain experience
Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  CTDecember 11, 2018
My agent only cared about the agency. Never cared about the growth or advancement of team members. Benefits are subpar, would be looking to get 10 days off a year. Commission is very minimal. Got hired as a sales agent but for some strange reason I was the retention and service. Basically doing 3 rolls and getting paid like dirt. Don't even bother to asking for a raise.
Pros
Not call center
Cons
Unrealistic goals and workload for pay
Avoid
Agent Aspirant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 4, 2018
I'm in the top 10% of my field as far as sales is concerned. I have a 62% closing rate. Even with my great closing rate, i couldn't afford to feed myself or pay my bills on what state farm gave me. I changed agencies to another state farm agent 3 times to see if i could get a better package. i was never able to survive without credit cards. They also give no benefits. It's the worst company to work for. I've never worked for a company that needed a union for their agents so desperately. I feel awful for the poor people that are still stuck working for them.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits, cut throat, promises of promotion that never come.
Auto Desk Adjuster
Pilot Catastrophe Service (Former Employee) –  Auto Desk AdjusterDecember 3, 2018
no review at this time. Average day. Learn several things to apply as an Adjuster. Management was great. Workplace culture was great. Hardest part of my job was getting to work in the daily traffic
Most enjoyable part was learning This is not as importance as having a job. Sometimes other sight need not to pry in the job market of others,.Somethings can be taken the wrong way and I personal thinks this part is not necessary. I have enter all the information i'm going to enter.
Stressfull work enviroment with poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXDecember 2, 2018
I worked there for about a month and then decided to quit. A days work consisted of making 130 plus phone calls and sells before I ever got my license (I got my license the week before I quit), skipping through my state farm training because the agent I worked for thought it was useless, her take my State Farm exams for me, getting told I need to make sales even though the contract I signed stated I didn't have to make any sales till month 2, and studying for my state exam. The entire time I worked there I felt ill informed causing the high stress work environment. This probably isn't for all agents I just got a very pore one.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Tons
Solid company, but culture has changed
Operations (Former Employee) –  Rohnert Park, CADecember 2, 2018
I spent the majority of my working career with State Farm. It's a solid company and for the most part I enjoyed my time working there. However, the culture and environment changed dramatically over the last 10yrs. It is now all about counting widgets and micromanagement. Long gone are the days of a family environment. Loyalty, engagement and collaboration has given way to chasing the carrot of efficiency at all costs. I've seen a lot of good people either be let go, or ground down to mechanical uncaring clones. It's not the Company it once was...and that is sad.
good place to work, good benefits
Workforce Management Scheduler/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 9, 2019
My experience was, if you're willing to relocate every few years you could have a very long career at State Farm. They are continually reevaluating their office locations and work distribution between the offices; your location and/or job function has to be flexible for longevity. Management was fair and evaluations and raises were consistent. Their benefits were pretty good, but nothing you really can't find at other employers. Their pay scale is definitely below the market.
Pros
I always had a good experience with the annual evaluation process, I thought it was fair and always netted a raise.
Cons
Reevaluation and relocation every few years is stressful. Savings & Thrift max match is $800/year.
Exciting/Fast-paced environment
Claims Associate - Express (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 30, 2018
Continuous learning environment. Management always provided coaching and skills enhacements to help advance in your career. Weekly performance reviews were a great way to obtain constructive criticism and offer tools to work through any forseen circumstances or situations that could pose problems down the line
Cons
Not much flexibility with requested time off, Had to be scheduled far in advance and points were easy to accumulate
Great Benefits and decent pay but poor work environment
Claims Representative, Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLDecember 6, 2018
Work schedule consisted of long shifts, constant changes in work day. Poorly managed when it comes to handling customer concerns. More numbers driven then results oriented. Highly stressful environment. Tools and assistance needed wasn't always available.
Enjoyable work experience depended mostly on your current manager, but the most enjoyable part of the job was the moments a customer reports loss in what seems to be a hopeless situation, but you're able to assist the customer and resolve any issues without having to relay on any outside services or systems.
Pros
Benefits, Paid time off, Healthcare
Cons
Work/life balance, Highly stressful, lack of direction
Used to be good
Independent Contractor Agent (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CADecember 5, 2018
The company culture has changed from one that cared about the customer, the employees, and the salesforce to one that cares only about the almighty dollar. They now take it all for granted. They assume they can overload the employees and they'll keep working hard; mistreat their agents and they'll keep selling; screw the policyholders and they'll remain loyal. There are still some good-hearted folks in the service departments, like claims and agent-facing regional offices, but the management has turned to big data for solutions to running the company instead of those of us who meet with and know the customers best. It's a shame to watch a once-great company become no better than any other run-of-the-mill company.
Bad experiences from both agencies I worked for
Insurance Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68164November 29, 2018
Associates are paid the bare minimum and not compensated fairly. After working there for a year without any issues my son was hospitalized with serious medical conditions and I was told that I could not miss any more work to be with him or I would have to make it up by also working nights and weekends. Soon after this experience when my son was home and healthy again I found another position with a different company immediately.
Working environment is totally depends on boss
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 29, 2018
Even tough I've worked entire life in one of small business, it really depends on their boss.
Company is huge but working for one of agent is totally different. Even though we contracted, owner changed the word and deny paying commission is one of part that I gave up on my job.
I have enough experienced of working with less than four employees.
Pros
work like family since only have few employees
Cons
Working environment is rely on business flow
Can do better
Executive Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 24, 2018
My Agent didn't have drive to make sales . I needed to get my license and could not obtain it. However, I would still make sales because I speak Spanish and would not get any credit or additional pay. I believe their is a flaw with State Farm and could have more sales if their standers were different within regards to their licenses.
Pros
you have your own space to work
Cons
not enough pay, good part time job for college students

53.3K
42.6K
31.9K

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight