State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 8,526 reviews matching the search See all 8,654 reviews
Challenges daily
Claim Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 11, 2018
Great company, going through significant business changes at this time. Company is looked at as the Industry leader due to size and strength. Formal training is superb, Company invest a great deal in helping employees to become stronger leaders within their fields. Company also rewards those employees who seek additional educational advancements.
Pros
Financially strong company.
Cons
Change for the sake of change.
Good place to work but
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 11, 2018
Everything is based on the office you are working for and the size of their book.

The environment of the office is greatly determined by the agent which can be good or bad.
You get what you put into it
Inside Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 10, 2018
I worked in an agent office for 2 years, and can honestly say it changed the way I view my career, and the insurance industry as a whole. I got to work with people who were passionate about what they did, and came in every day ready to win.
We worked our tails off, but it was worth it when the payday came.
Fun place to work.
Medicare Expediter (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 10, 2018
Enjoyed my time working in the Austin regional office. Work enviornment was great and company training for advancement. Family oriented company and great work/life balance.
Pros
off before rush hour
Cons
none I can think of
Productive place to work; constantly busy.
Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 10, 2018
I enjoyed working the 15 months with the Atlanta Hub location; However, I have reapplied with them and several other locations and nothing not even an Interview; I was a good worker in my department first to arrive and last to leave; I went beyond Remarkable toward Customers in giving my all; I would love to be rehired in the Fire Department where my Friend is an Associate and a Board Member; she is familiar with my work and my Character. My day would start with the answering of phone to assist customers who had recent accident; I would get help speedily to them, road service, renter, set up repair if vehicle was not total, investigated to see who was at liable for the accident; brought claim to resolution; paid out claim. I would do other tasks that included mail, calling Customers, faxing, copying material needed to speed process of claim. I really did enjoy my job. My hardest part of the job was been value and view by my Manager as a skilled worker.
Pros
free prizes and rewards offered to employee, education advancement.
Cons
short lunch, reduced from one hour to 45 minutes.
State Farm
Licensed Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXNovember 10, 2018
I learned a lot about insurance and working with customers helping them with their insurance needs, but I felt like the office I worked at was poorly managed and the boss was never there. The responsibility fell mostly on those under staffed.
disappointing
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brewerton, NYNovember 9, 2018
agent was inexperienced as i was, coworkers were clueless, no benefits, commissions were withheld... long hours, low pay, lead generators useless.....
Pros
free lunches
Cons
everything mentioned above
Great Job Depending on the agent
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNNovember 9, 2018
Great job, great opportunity to advance. Great commissions just keep working! As a family company they understand. In a team environment, everything was able to be achieved!
Sales Representative
Customer Sales/Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 9, 2018
you take inbound calls from existing and new customers, help set up policies for auto and home/renters.

take payments

make policy changes

you have to be licensed but SF licenses you

strict schedule adherence
Company as a whole
Sr. Bank Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 9, 2018
My working experiences at State Farm, was awesome and I truly enjoyed my peers and the management team I interact with as a Senior Technical Bank Analyst.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
State Farm is a healthy and great organization
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 9, 2018
The majority of my HR career was with State Farm and I am very thankful for the time spent developing me into the professional I am today. I was provided multiple opportunities to stretch my skill set and learn new areas of HR.
Overworked, stressed out and toxic auto claims environment
Auto Claims Specialist - Complex Property (Former Employee) –  Concordville, PANovember 9, 2018
his is from an Auto claims former employee. I worked for State Farm for over half a decade. Without a doubt, there is no work/ life balance. Whatever you read here about flexibility comes from non-claims employees. Young employees are leaving and older employees are retiring early because they cannot take it. You will be expected to mandatory overtime with no end in sight. You will not be able to take the time off you have earned when you want to. No matter how good your performance is, you will be outranked by employees with decades under your belt at State Farm. They will get the preferred vacation and holidays and you will be stuck feeling burnt out. State Farm has auto claims employees in a point system for attendance. You will be penalized if you miss work because you have a family emergency, car emergency, etc. Get too many points and you will be written up and then fired. State Farm is all about the metrics and your every minute is tracked. You will be told when you go to lunch and when you take breaks. Your managers will have to talk to you so you can explain why you haven't met a certain metric that was never made to be achievable. Team Managers are also under pressure to have their direct reports meet these metrics.
There will be no chance for upward mobility unless you can relocate to a hub.
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 8, 2018
Working for state farm was competitive and fun. I was constantly learning in a fun environment where I was respected as a team member. State Farm is a good company.
Great atmosphere in my agent’s office.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GANovember 8, 2018
I did enjoy my time at State Farm. Both agents I worked for forced me to grow and develop as a person, parent, employee and manager. I do recommend State Farm as a great way to learn the industry.
Pros
Plenty to learn
Cons
Long hours and lots of no’s.
not recommended to work for.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2018
a typical day at work was not normal. I didnt learn anything and poor management. The workplace culture was not good. The hardest part of the job was a fake smile
Nice culture, lax dress code, but tend to micromanage
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GANovember 8, 2018
The pay combined with the benefits package makes the company competitive. When I was there, you could become vested in their pension plan (defined benefit, not defined contribution like 401Ks) if you stayed for 5 years. I'm not sure if since then they've moved exclusively to providing 401K plans, but during my time there both were available, and they matched your 401K contributions up to a certain amount.

Medical, dental, and vision were provided in their plans.

The only issue I had was the time limit they placed on handling claims, as from my experience enough time wasn't given to respectfully handle the customers issues and create the file note for others to see after you finished with the claim. This led to some employees trying to find ways to artificially keep their calls within the allotted time, which made some customer's experience worse.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Metrics are a bit difficult to meet
Aggressive customer sales
Sales (Current Employee) –  KansasNovember 7, 2018
High pressure sales with lack of follow up with customers. More worried about the sale than relationship building and service after the sale. Aggressive.
job
Adjuster Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2018
I would answer the customers call by greeting gathering information
The information gather would be personal and then about the incident that occurred then help assign to the adjuster..
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no balance
Company going through transition
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GANovember 7, 2018
Just like many companies, State Farm is going through transition. So changes are inevitable. We've seen a lot of people leave and many more come in. We seen procedures change today and then be obsolete tomorrow. So, it's about being flexible and adaptable. Your willingness and openness to change makes the transition easier.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Company now an enterprise/virtual company
Great team environment, wonderful managers
Claims Associate - Auto ILR (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 7, 2018
I have had a great experience with state farm, they are always looking for ways to help you improve and enhance your career. Great perks and benefits.
Pros
great environment

53.2K
42.5K
31.8K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company.

Powered by Comparably