State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 9,055 reviews matching the search See all 9,197 reviews
Miserable
Injury Litigation & Training Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 24, 2018
Management was filled with the worst kind of kiss ups/kick downs. Raises were kept low so most people worked overtime to compensate. I wasted 13 years of my life.
It was an okay place to work at the time, but I’ll never go back to another State Farm ever in the future.
Multi-Line Representative (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALNovember 30, 2018
For one, I found out I don’t like working in sales from working at State Farm. Whether it was just that environment specific to that agency, or if I’m just not cut out for sales, I don’t know, but I hated my time there. You only get paid on the 5th and 20th of the month, which that alone wasn’t the kicker, but the pay is low because you’re expected to sell stuff in order to receive commissions and make up for the pay difference. You don’t always get sales though!! Not when there’s 20 different State Farm’s in a 20 mile radius, you’re competing your butt off to try to hit your sales quota. My agent that I worked for was horrible. She was well off from being the actual agent, plus her husband was so loaded that she’d never have to work and still be rich, but it made her snooty, rude, intrusive, and expected way too much out of us team members. I was there 6 months and I think she went through 10 different employees. Either she expected too much of them and they quit, they weren’t living up to her expectations and she let them go, or after experiencing the office for their first day, they never showed back up for a 2nd day!! I may be bias since I did work for someone like her, and maybe other agents aren’t that bad. Although I did interview with a couple other agents when I was looking for a job last year, over a year since I left her office, and the ones I interviewed with nearly had the same expectations of their team member as she did, if not more. So I’m just not cut out for that type of career, and I’ve run from it and I don’t ever plan to look back.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, low pay, commission based, unattainable expectations
Avoid
Agent Aspirant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 4, 2018
I'm in the top 10% of my field as far as sales is concerned. I have a 62% closing rate. Even with my great closing rate, i couldn't afford to feed myself or pay my bills on what state farm gave me. I changed agencies to another state farm agent 3 times to see if i could get a better package. i was never able to survive without credit cards. They also give no benefits. It's the worst company to work for. I've never worked for a company that needed a union for their agents so desperately. I feel awful for the poor people that are still stuck working for them.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits, cut throat, promises of promotion that never come.
Work/Life
BILINGUAL CLAIM SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 3, 2019
The compensation is competitive but itś expected to sacrifice your home life. The workload isn´t manageable and stressful. Work performance is based on statistics.
Position Review
New Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDOctober 16, 2018
Working for State Farm I didn't make enough to support my family. The work life balance was fine and management was nice. I didn't have any benefits needed insurance and position that offered more income.
High Volume call center with increasing presure to do more with less
Claim Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 15, 2018
State Farm will tell you every day what a great company they are to work for, but they could really could care less about their employees or customers. State Farm is all about beating the competition, so call center employees are pressured to get the customer off the phone and get right into the next call. The expectations are clear just not sustainable long term. The use of overtime to meet demands is the norm not the exception and they will make it mandatory. That along with solid weeks of black out days to request for time-off and shift-bidding make the work life balance terrible. They do have some great perks (discount programs, all the insurances, retirement and pension).
benefits
Cons
work/life balance
Good Opportunity for right candidate
Auto Injury / Litigation Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 28, 2018
Many opportunities available when willing to relocate. Excellent training. Many different career opportunities available. Benefits package is also pretty good.
State Farm Morale
Underwriting Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 29, 2018
The current status at State Farm is that employee morale is down. More work is demanded at low pay. Cost of living goes up yet salary does not. The unfortunate management style of ridiculing employees is heightened everyday.
Great place to start your insurance career
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutOctober 15, 2018
State Farm is a great place to start your insurance career, however the work life balance is horrible and being that the agents are small business owners there’s no benefits and I guess that’s the depending on your agent. There’s not much room for growth.
Changed for the worse
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FlOctober 25, 2018
This company used for be a great place to work. Now they expect more and more with less and less. There once was room for advancement but now the company would rather outsource.
Pros
401k, health insurance, hours
Cons
Poor management, high pressure
disappointing
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brewerton, NYNovember 9, 2018
agent was inexperienced as i was, coworkers were clueless, no benefits, commissions were withheld... long hours, low pay, lead generators useless.....
Pros
free lunches
Cons
everything mentioned above
Toxic! Terrible Agency!
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 6, 2018
The worst job in 20+ years. The lack of professionalism from management was rampant and the environment was completely toxic. That said experiences may vary as it's based on the agent you work for.
Pros
Nothing really
Cons
No benefits, toxic environment, lack of professionalism, low pay
SALES REP (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 9, 2018
Great company to work for
-good training
-good culture
-proud company
If you have a great agent, it helps a lot. Each location is different depending on the agent
Pros
Good pay, some benefits
Cons
Pay depends on agent
Great Place to start a career
Underwriter Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 23, 2018
Great flexibility
Lower than average pay
A part time sales job is ideal.
Great benefits
Great location and campus.
Great management
Great opportunity to move up
Pros
Great Flexibility
Cons
Lower salary compared to competitors
Decent job to gain experience
Licensed Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 5, 2018
Typical day would be taking inbound sales calls from customers needing insurance. Culture is laid back but pay is stagnant. Schedule is flexible mostly for students but if you have major bills their part time shedule will not pay you enough. Full time is available but the hours are horrible. 330-12pm to be exact. Mandatory weekend and points system for attendance. Sales position is barely any commision so do not get excited on any commision talk. Overall good company but just pick a well paying position in order to make ends meet. Great benefits no auto discounts. Lots of basic customer service calls in a sales environment and out dated systems.
Pros
Benefits, schedule flexibility
Cons
Sales commision, attendance policy, full time hours choices
Good Company
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 25, 2018
SF was a good company to work for before changes. The work-life balance became a problem for me. The benefits package is what kept me with them for almost 20 years.
Benefits
Cons
Work-life balance
Good job for students
Licensed Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAOctober 3, 2018
I absolutely loved this company when I started. The culture was laid back and comfortable. We have good benefits and a flexible schedule in the Customer Care Center. Over time they have implemented a lot of new changes with little to no raise AND they took away all of our morale incentives. No more rewards for exceeding goals, new stricter policies, and uncaring management practices. The morale is at an all time low. The rest of the company has a different set of rules so I get better feedback from those departments ,but we are one of the lowest paid insurance companies in the area.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Poor company culture, low pay
Overall, great place with great people, but not enough pay and often difficult to advance.
Claims Associate - Express (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXDecember 17, 2018
I believe that State Farm really cares about their employees, but it's easy to start to feel like a number there instead of an individual. Production expectations are not realistic for the quality of work they require. It seemed like the employees that cut corners to make production advanced quicker and more often. Also, the salary is not competitive at all. Cost of living in the Dallas-Fort Worth area is steadily rising, and it was difficult to maintain basic financial responsibilities with the pay received. However, there are some really great people at State Farm. Some of the best coworkers I have dealt with came from State Farm. I also learned a lot about the insurance industry while there.
Decent
Administrative Assistant / Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILOctober 27, 2018
It was a good place to work benefits were ok and work life balanced was good. dealt with customers as their issues, the branch owner owner was never in. customers can be needy and annoying.
Heavy workload and low moral.
WEATHER & CATASTROPHE CLAIMS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  ArkansasNovember 14, 2018
Heavy, unobtainable daily and weekly workloads. Very low moral among claim personnel, both reps and lower management. Corporate management cares absolutely nothing about employees. Large portion of workforce is now independent contractors.
Benefits
Cons
Heavy Workload, Metrics Driven Work Goals, High Stress Environment

53.4K
42.6K
31.9K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company.

Powered by Comparably