State University of New York at Cortland Employee Reviews

The department I worked in was excellent.
Assistant Professor of Teacher Education (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYApril 6, 2019
The institution at the time suffered from a morale issue. Leadership was mixed in the way it carried out its duties leaving faculty unsure of how make the place a great place to work,
Productive work environment
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYMarch 17, 2019
Worked as an adjunct lecturer. It was rewarding but compensation for my time was not adequate. I didn't like living in the area and felt limited in the scope of research I was able to commit. Ultimately decided to leave.
An Incredible College to Work At
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYJanuary 17, 2019
Working within admissions at SUNY Cortland is one of the best jobs I've ever had the pleasure of working with. The staff is super friendly and welcoming, and the other tour guides are as dedicated as I am to providing an incredible tour experience.
Excellent place to work
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYJanuary 15, 2019
I have loved to come to work at SUNY Cortland. I have been fortunate enough to work with people who have become my family. They are very accomodating and understanding.
Benefits
Cons
Hard to advance since it is all based on test scores
Productive and fun working place
Broadcaster and Color Commentator (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYOctober 22, 2018
The jobs was fun and full of great learning experience. Was not a paid job more of a practicum during college to prepare for my future. The culture was incredible and the superiors were fantastic to be around. A truely great time in my life that taught me things I will never forget.
Fast pace fun work culture
Campus Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYOctober 15, 2018
Suny Cortland was a great place to work while I was taking classes because of how convenient it was. They work really well with your class schedule which made it a good part time job.
Great program
Athletic Training Student (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYSeptember 16, 2018
Get athletic training program, best in the state. Learned a lot. Great athletic programs, very competitive. Finally doing renovations in Park Center, badly needed.
Productive, New skill Development, Fun work place.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYSeptember 12, 2018
I am a Graduate Assistant in the Physics Department. I get to see lot of students from different majors everyday, which is interesting and fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is I can teach as well as learn simultaneously.
A breath of fresh air for SUNY
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2018
As a student employee, SUNY Cortland truly valued its employees and wanted to see them grow and develop alongside their education. The flexible hours and the varied positions students could pursue were valuable experiences even after graduation. It was a truly enriching experience that I highly recommend!
Work Experience
Internship (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYAugust 22, 2018
I worked and interned at SUNY Cortland College. A typical day in SUNY Cortland consisted of reading through political documents and news. Assessing viable resources assist students in furthering their knowledge in the international and political field, as well as, easing newer students in the program. I was the Assistant Director of Administrative duties and Event coordinator and Web-Publisher at SUNY Cortland Clark Center for Global Engagement. My boss was very friendly and extremely helpful. The most enjoyable part of working was being able to interact with students and expanding their ideas on the world. I learned better ways to organize my time and efforts which would benefit everyone.
Zero Management or Cultivation of Employees
None of your business (Former Employee) –  on campusJune 19, 2018
There is no professional cadence over the management style of department heads. There is no cultivation or teaching moments, only penalties.
There is no growth opportunities or care to education and expand the horizons. Truly dead end.
There is long line of favoritism and prejudice against people with differing religious beliefs. Very unfair work environment.
Pros
Cons
unfair practices, favoritism, no employee growth opportunities
Education Department
Adjunct Literacy Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYMay 14, 2018
Amazing department. Great support. Freedom to teach the way your adult learners learn. Offered a varied schedule. Sometimes there were large class sizes.
Fast pace, great place!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYMay 4, 2018
I worked temporarily in the bookstore during busy season. It’s really fast pace but it’s great and usually all the people you work with are a lot of fun. You put together orders, use cashier systems, and run for orders. That’s it.
Pros
Free lunches and snacks, fast pace
Cons
Work 12 hour shifts or more frequently
Always room to learn more and friendly staff
Senior Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYMay 1, 2018
-Very flexible scheduling
-I came in knowing little about technology and was able to learn so much throughout my time
-My supervisors and staff treat one another wit respect and make you feel like part of the team
-Very relaxed environment, if you do not know something there is always someone there to lend a hand and teach you
-Hardest part is grasping new information and not having many opportunities to practice the skill
-Most enjoyable part is the people and the unexpectedness of the job because each day there is something new to be done and learned
SUNY Cortland grounds crew
SUNY Cortland Grounds Crew (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYApril 11, 2018
I had a very enjoyable time working here, the crew is very easy going and there was no problem forming a relationship with any of my coworkers. The boss was always ready with a new task and we all working together to complete them.
Summary
Adjunct Professor of Kinesiology (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYMarch 26, 2018
My direct supervisor was great and really loved her job. She was relaxed but also worked diligently to really ensure the quality of fitness patrons were getting.
Relaxed
Fitness Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYMarch 12, 2018
The shifts in the fitness center are only 2 hour shifts which consist of being relaxed and enjoying the workout environment. The duties I have are the circulate around the facilities to make sure everything is working properly and that patrons are okay. I also clean machines, and make sure everything is sanitary. I answer questions and assist patrons whenever needed. Overall this is a great job to have at school!
Great Enviornment
Temporary Visual Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYFebruary 21, 2018
SUNY Cortland is a great place to work, great people and great environment. I went to SUNY Cortland as an undergrad and interned during those years. I feel in love with SUNY Cortland and decided to move to upstate NY to continue my career with SUNY Cortland.
Gets the money in
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYFebruary 20, 2018
Pretty good, chill environment. 100% recommend. Really flexible hours. Nice people to work with. Nothing too hard to do, although it can get boring. Peace
Great college to teach at.
Adjunct Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYFebruary 5, 2018
- Students are attentive and a pleasure to teach
- Overall atmosphere is professional but conducive to teaching and learning
- Faculty is friendly and easy to work with
Pros
Great atmosphere and environment; benefits if you teach 2 or more classes