State University of New York at New Paltz Employee Reviews

Working at SUNY New Paltz was a good stepping stone in life
Internship, Athletic Department (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYFebruary 25, 2018
I learned a lot about management and what it takes to run a small store and communicate with others. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around my fellow workers, workers that had the some aspirations as i did working through the SUNY New Paltz system.
Pros
The workplace culture
Cons
The benefits
Review
Recreation Attendant (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJuly 5, 2017
SUNY New Paltz is a beautiful school and a fun place to work after I graduated. The atmosphere on the field was awesome. It was great to work with the girls who were passionate about the game of soccer. The athletic director on the other hand is sexist man who needs to be fired. He did not show up to one of our games when I was playing there and coaching.
Pros
working with the beautiful game
Cons
upper management
Overall great experience!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Residence LifeJune 2, 2017
As a Resident Assistant, you are one of the most important faces of the residence hall. You have your own hallway of residents and cater mainly to them by creating engaging bulletin boards, brainstorming and hosting programs, and really just interacting with them on a regular basis. They should feel comfortable coming to you with any issues. There is middle management, who is constantly available to you for advice and feedback and upper management, who is less available because she handles administrative tasks. Supervision can help with an abundance of things, for instance, not knowing how to properly react to a resident's behavior or feeling extremely stressed out from working, classes, and extra-curricular activities. However, I would say that this job is rewarding because of all of the experiences you get to live through and all of the people you get to meet and work with.
Pros
Good compensation for college students
Cons
Technically working 24/7 if an issue arises
Productive work place
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYMay 25, 2017
It is a great place to work. Employees are friendly and helpful. I have learned statestical software "R" as part of my job and i feel it will be helpful in future.
Awesome place to work!
Administration (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYMay 2, 2017
This is a great place to work on so many levels. I think that the main thing that makes SUNY New Paltz so great is the competence, intelligence and compassion of the leadership here, from the President on down the line. The administration truly cares about their employees and works hard to create a civil and inclusive environment.
The benefit package is among the best in the nation and the campus culture is one of mutual respect. Perks include access to relevant lectures and presentations, the Samuel Dorsky Museum (visit on your lunch break!), membership in the Athletic, Wellness and Recreation center, which offers classes specifically for staff and faculty, book club, yoga classes, library and great student performances.
Let's not forget proximity to all the great restaurants and shopping in the quaint village of New Paltz and the views of the Gunks!
Pros
Benefits are great, although most people would say they love working with the students!
fun workplace
Mail Services Assistant (Work Study) (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYMay 24, 2016
I learned a lot from my coworker. Increible work place. The most enjoyable part of the job were teaching spanish to my coworker.
Great work place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYApril 21, 2016
My partners were so kind and helpful. We did research and other projects regarding the University. I was happy to be a part of SUNY. Now, I am looking for full-time job.
Researcher in Training!
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYFebruary 6, 2015
I made my own hours doing statistical calculations and organizing data samples for my favorite professor in college! It was a great job and I was doing work that I loved. I learned that I really enjoy creating organizational systems and problem solving. The hardest part of the job was the amount of responsibility that I was given; the pressure was high because my work wasn't reviewed very closely. I was trusted enough that it was assumed that my work was precise and correct. The other challenge was the part where I had to 'translate' the numbers into words! It required creativity yet I was required to follow a very strict writing format.
It improves my problem solving skills and keeps me updated with my course work
Proctor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYApril 1, 2014
It is a part time job where I learn how to help students with their mathematics related problems and give them feeling that nothing is impossible. Some time students come in to lab with lots of stress and tension and leave with a big smile and with hope that "Math is easy"
Worked part time
Assistant Swim Coach (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYFebruary 27, 2014
I enjoyed working here. I had great coworkers. I learned a lot. The hardest part was that I worked part time and needed more hours.
Great Learning experience
Media Operator (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYSeptember 4, 2013
Office of Instructional Media Service
First job as an undergraduate, great coworkers, great management. Wonderful experience,.
Excelent Transferable Skills Exceent Enviornment
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  New Paltz, NYFebruary 22, 2013
Flexible and understanding staff and management. Environment that fosters compassion as well as an area for career advancement. Facilitate events and programs put together by Student Development.
Pros
excellent staff and co-workers
Dream Job.
Instructor of Record (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYSeptember 11, 2012
I had the day to day opportunity to serve others and help them learn. I would begin class with announcements and upcoming events, then transition into demonstrations. The rest of the the time was spent meeting individually with students and monitoring the work space as well as the shop supplies and materials assuring all safety procedures were being followed.
Pros
working with students can be very rewarding
Cons
it is a lot more hours than you actually get paid for.
Best Place to Work
Student Employment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYJuly 25, 2012
Fun environment. Some stress, but beautiful campus and wonderful people to work with. Everyone really cares about their job.
Best experience of my life
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Paltz, NYMay 15, 2012
At the beginning of every new semester there was a vigorous training that I underwent in order to deal with any situation that was presented, such as interpersonal conflict, family issues, etc. My duties were not only to make sure everything ran smoothly, but also to offer support to my residents on a daily basis with any issue. I loved every bit of the job because it forced me to develop advanced judgment and versatility. I interacted with a diverse group of peers in very different situations. This position has been the most gratifying position I have ever held. It brought me close to situations I may have not felt comfortable with and allowed me to overcome them. It also brought me the satisfaction of building bonds with people of different walks of life.
Pros
tuition help, flexibility, multi-tasking skills learned