State of Arizona Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
productive, learning new things every day
Maintenance Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 18, 2018
love the work place and everything about it. There was never no problems in the work place. very friendly co workers. supportive supervisors in helping you manage your work load. Very supportive in new ideas that you bring to the table.
Pros
Cons
short breaks
Productive and Learning Experience
Janitor Custodian (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 18, 2018
ITS GREAT! but could have been a lot more fun. what I mean by that is,The people there are so serious and don't know how to interact with others.....
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
not long term
Fast paced and hectic envirement
Corrections officer (Former Employee) –  Dept. of corrections Florence Az.October 16, 2018
For anyone interested in a fast paced and under appreciated job the
department f corrections would be the place to start.
There is on site job training .
Job Stability
Program & Project Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 15, 2018
Great place to work if you like to stay on top of your game in the field that you are working in. Lots of room for growth and advancement if you apply yourself. Colleges and management work closely together and the communication between all teams are great!
Pros
great hours, time off
Cons
can't work overtime very often, unless approved
Great stepping stone for other departments
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZOctober 10, 2018
Great insurance and consistent work. Paid annual, holiday, and sick leave given biweekly. Fair workplace enviroment. Learn how to supervise and work with people. Teaches you to problem solve.
Manageing state facilites can be challenging with lack of funds
Physical Plant Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85008October 5, 2018
The thought of awarding contracts to the lowest bidder is absurd. You get what you pay for.
There are many many different departments and divisions working for the State of Arizona. Each one of them is managed separately.
Good Opportunities
Arizona (Current Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 4, 2018
State of Arizona offers good benefits and opportunities to advance your career. Quality of work and environment is fair. The only major challenge is pay for IT professionals.
Great to work for State of Arizona
Program Service Evaluator IV (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 29, 2018
I learned how important it is to be professional, positive attitude and maintain a friendly smile with everyone from staff to our families in need that we assisted everyday.
Pros
Room to grow and advance your career internally with the State of AZ
Cons
annual raise first 3 years
Great Benefits
LICENSING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 27, 2018
The state of Arizona has great perks and retirement plan but does not offer raises unless the Governor of Arizona approves them or you get a promotion.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Management not great, no raises and very big on Lean Project
Working with the State
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2018
The state is very difficult to work for. You have to work 10 years before you are vested in their retirement plan. The pay is not that great and they also take a mandatory 11% for retirement after 6 months of employment; I was not thrilled with this benefit at all; pay is low and they do not offer raises.
Job Security, no advancement or fair malpractice, racism and lack of opportunity
Social Worker/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 12, 2018
Imma current employee there and I feel like since I’ve started working this job, there hasn’t been any malpractice fair opportunity or justice in regards to working for the state. DCS is a place where they hassle you with cases and workload when they don’t pay enough what the competitors pay to make you stay at the company. They have benefits but they don’t equal for everything else that we have to go thru, I know a lot of people see the job title and believe that there is opportunity and a long term career but honestly it isn’t, I should not have to be looking for other work due to the problems I personally face at work and have been facing. It’s always an issue and things just have grasped and changed over time. So I’ve tried to understand and let things pick up it’s course as they go. But nothing seems to be fair with this company, they tell you things about having fair justice or opportunity when it is not true, you feel uncomfortable and you feel like there is no one by your side to where you feel like it is an experience worth staying for let alone work and keep things at bay. If you apply here be satisfied with them taking out 11.8% of your paycheck and then being stuck at the same pay unless your moved to management or a different salary position elsewhere. So if you apply to be a dcs specialist or work anywhere for the DCS or DES just be aware of the set pay and the non raised your going to get, be aware of management working against you and not having your back when it comes to certain things, be aware of management, also talking about you behind your back, and not  more... giving you opportunity to do anything let alone work with you and upper management for resources or different unfair justice when working with external issues or problems. Let alone the job is great, performance is great and working with children investigating there cases are always the best part for working with child crimes, police, and other crises teams and prevention units. I hope this post can be beneficial for anyone applying within the company or just applying online.  less
Pros
Job security, retirement
Cons
Pay, unfair practices, no job opportunities, no advancement, no long term gain
Dangerous and Horrible Administration
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 12, 2018
Devious, back biting culture where it is easy for the employee to become investigated on a youth's lie or vendetta. 60% turnover annually is all you need to know at Adobe Mountain. Many employees have left mentally damaged by the culture and physically assaulte by youth. Expect to talk to Internal Affairs (no matter your job description) at some point because you will be accused of something and possibly be in legal jeapardy.
Very big differences between agencies at the State of Arizona
Chief Enterprise Risk Management Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaSeptember 11, 2018
It is an extremely inconsistent workplace with little management expertise or drive to retain employees. There a almost no professional standards and employees with no skills are often retained because of seniority. The team building is negligent and most of the institutional knowledge is protected. It seems that knowledge is the only job security and there is absolutely NO DEFINED path to advancement nor is there a specific program to hold poor performers accountable.
benefits
Cons
few opportunities, failed employee programs, poor management, embarrassing lack of strategy, little professionalism
State of arizona
Ps2 benefits and eligibility interviewer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2018
This has been the best experience ever the people I work with and the management are wonderful they taught me so much and taught me to be successful..

I know from this point in my life state of arizona has made me so happy and wanting to go to work
Pros
Managmenbt
Ok
AHCCCS (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2018
A lot of people care a great deal about serving in their jobs. People who work here work because they care and not for a high salary. The work is fairly stable and predictable
It's a job that is so stressful and under paid
Program Service Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 8, 2018
i worked a pse III and a change center agent. this is a very stressful and unrewarding job. lack of real advancement unless you want to be a supervisor which is more stressful with a small raise in pay. the management was evil and had their favorites. it was very clickish type environment if you weren't mgmt friend then you better sit straight and do your work. no laughing, talking etc.. the work was easy in a way but dealing with clients about free benefits under a time scheduled made the job very stressful and unrewarding. its awesome when you know you helped someone in need but if you took to long with them your in trouble with mgmt so it kills that joy really quick. i would recommend the job because ppl need to work, its a job and check with benefits,
Pros
its a job
Cons
pay, management is evil, stress, no raises, no incentives
I wouldn't recommend unless you need a job
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 6, 2018
I took a job as a financial analyst and wasn't informed, until after I started the position, that there would be traveling required. The starting salary was fair but with the 11.8% mandatory pension requirement on top of that and the no raises ever policy, I wouldn't consider this fair pay.
time at the state
Highway Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 4, 2018
My time at the state was great, took a new position and in the end I was let go due to cut backs, no other jobs available for me to apply for, so I was laid off
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not enough money
Department of Economic Security
Program Service Evaluator I (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZSeptember 3, 2018
I was a intake tech for the State of Arizona, a typical day would consists of long lines of people coming in to review there ability to get help from the state. I met and talked to many beautiful people who have lost there jobs looking for assistance to bridge the gap. This was the most rewarding job, feeling that I help someone to make it another day.
Stressful but rewarding
Program Service Evaluator II (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZSeptember 2, 2018
I worked for the Department of Economic Security - it's definitely a stressful job but can be rewarding of your aim is to help others. I would have stayed but the pay was not enough, I hope to see this adjusted in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Arizona. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight