State of Arizona Employee Reviews

Competitive
SUPPORT COORDINATOR/Training Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 18, 2018
Standard work day, learn more from professional development, management needs to be more supportive of employees, diverse culture, enjoy training others in DES.
Cons
Productive, professionalism and fun place to work
Program Project Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2018
In a typical day in my last position I fulfilled management tasks retrieving, reviewing and expediting social security requests. Throughout the day I completed various administrative duties as well, including replying to case managers, case aide, drafting documents and emails. I also provided strong customer service to other agencies such Social Security Administration and Department of Health Services.

Overall, what I have learned is the importance of serving the children that are in the custody of Department of Child Safety by ensuring they receive their vital records in a timely manner.

Management was phenomenal. They are committed to providing training and make sure that performance level meet the department and team requirements. Management displays honesty and truthfulness; addresses problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals.

Hardest part of the day when case workers, case managers and case supervisor are unable to receive vital records in requested time.

My most enjoyable part of the job is when I leave the office, I feel I fulfilled my duties of the day. Especially if it's receiving the vital records for a child which tremendously will assist the child in a current situation.
Pros
Need better paying rate
Cons
Purpose overall is saving a life of a Child.
fast paced and beneficial
Janitor Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZAugust 17, 2018
working for the State of Arizona was a temporary job that I gained experience in janitorial work. I had fun learning how to deep clean and it was helpful with my housekeeping business.
Get used to weekly changes
Program Service Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 16, 2018
Loved most my co-workers. Continuous changes daily if not weekly. Always something new to learn. Enjoyed the job. However no raises available . Job can be rewarding at the same time frustrating.
Great co-workers and atmosphere
DCS Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZAugust 12, 2018
As a DCS CASE AIDE, you do a lot for other co-workers in the office and are appreciated by your co-workers, however upper management and supervisors are NOT understanding of family and children of employees needs. The talk all about family reunification and how important keeping children safe are, however they do not care and are NOT flexible when in comes to the needs of employees children and families.
only if you need too
officer (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZAugust 2, 2018
The job itself i not too bad. Most inmates can manage themselves. What makes it horrible is the lack of staff and lazy staff. We are not treated fairly some staff get treated better than others. If you would like to move to support or advance then your nose better be as brown as your pants. Too much politics in the job. Supervisors are hit and miss recently they have been treating us very poorly and taking every opportunity to try to burn staff. This creates more stress than the inmates do. There is no point in putting extra effort because it is not recognized.
Pros
job stability
Cons
too political
With right Management would be a nice place to work
Fiscal Service Specialist 3 (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJuly 31, 2018
It depended on whose butt you kissed to be accepted in division . Don't make waves as they will get rid of you.Big Boss expected you to sit at desk all day no talking or laughing , or get caught being somewhere he felt you should not of been. Always promoted persons who had their head where it should not of been. Individuals in department if they found out about something with you ran to higher ups. actually friends where hired alot in this division and recognized faster than people who were there for years.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
Snitches and back stabbers smile in your face and run to bosses behind back
Stressful.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Safford, AZ 85546July 30, 2018
I was a corrections officer. The daily stress with the inmate population was hard. The work strenuous with very rigid rules & regulations. The pay did not meet the demand on my role as a corrections officer.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Stress with inmate population.
Great benefits and great people. Have set hours and very frequently work more than your required hours
Arizona (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJuly 26, 2018
The state is a wonderful place to work because it offers great benefits, great hours and has great people. It also informs you of job postings, so the potential for new positions and more compensation is available.
Productive place to work as a team player
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 23, 2018
There is a lot to learn
management is good
different variety of culture to work with
To let a person know that they where not approved for UI benefits
To let a person know they were approved for UI benefits
Not a good place to work
DDD Case Management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 20, 2018
The employees had not received a raise in over 15 years and none were anticipated in the future. There was a severe case overload placed on each case manager (100-120 cases instead of the 50-60 recommended by AHCCCS.)
Management played favorites. State Director and DAS not knowledgeable and never left office
Director (Former Employee) –  PhoenixJuly 19, 2018
ADE bad place to work. Poor management. AS and DAS do not communicate and create an environment of walking on eggshells shells. Moral is at all time low
State employee for National Guard
MA Electronic Technician III (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 19, 2018
I enjoyed this job immensely it was a very helpful work experience and I don't think I could have worked with a better group of people than those who server in the Nation Guard. They took care of their employees and always made your work feel recognized.
Cons
call center environment//work from home
PROGRAM SERVICE EVALUATOR 3 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2018
A typical day consisted of me logging in, take a morning huddle and begin receiving incoming from clients to assist with their benefits. Through my job, I learned how to multi-task better and become more efficient with my typing skills while assisting on the phone.
Decent.
Barber (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJuly 17, 2018
The equipment I needed was of decent quality but there was little too work with. They did however provide a space for me to conduct my business. I was also able to keep the equipment sanitary.
Examiner
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 16, 2018
Not run like a business - incompetence is not only tolerated but rewarded. Different rules for different people. High turnover. A lot of people would have been fired in the private sector for the types of work habits witnessed.
Pros
Good annual and sick leave
Cons
Terrible management
Ok but the pay sucked
Correctional (Former Employee) –  PhoenixJuly 14, 2018
Worked at the prison. Just not the environment I care for. Just a job til the next one came along. Good training opportunities and I enjoyed twining employees.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
Pay
Challenging culture
DPM (Former Employee) –  state of arizonaJuly 11, 2018
New CEO reacts to social media posts and often manages to please those that post. Inexperience in communication techniques by CEO results in loss of staff and willingness to continue to work for the state of az.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
poor management
productive and busy place to work always work to be done
Program Service Evaluator Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Globe, AZJuly 10, 2018
Job was stressful with little job incentives which lowered the work Moral to almost nothing. Management was not supportive of employees and their needs to meet job requirements. Dealing with upset customers and unable to go above and beyond to help them due to time restrictions set fourth by upper management.
Pros
Great healthcare benefits and paid time off
Cons
no breaks, no job incentives
State of Arizona and Technology
Director of Technology Services (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 9, 2018
The State does not strategically plan and execute. Most agencies are allowed to select and deploy whatever solution they deem necessary. Enormous waste and projects that do not return value to the State. Management thrives in finding blame versus leading.
Pros
Pace of execution allows time off routinely
Cons
Poor leadership, mentorship, and initiative.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Arizona. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.6Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight