State of Arizona Employee Reviews

It's a job that is so stressful and under paid
Program Service Evaluator III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 8, 2018
i worked a pse III and a change center agent. this is a very stressful and unrewarding job. lack of real advancement unless you want to be a supervisor which is more stressful with a small raise in pay. the management was evil and had their favorites. it was very clickish type environment if you weren't mgmt friend then you better sit straight and do your work. no laughing, talking etc.. the work was easy in a way but dealing with clients about free benefits under a time scheduled made the job very stressful and unrewarding. its awesome when you know you helped someone in need but if you took to long with them your in trouble with mgmt so it kills that joy really quick. i would recommend the job because ppl need to work, its a job and check with benefits,
Pros
its a job
Cons
pay, management is evil, stress, no raises, no incentives
Very big differences between agencies at the State of Arizona
Chief Enterprise Risk Management Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaSeptember 11, 2018
It is an extremely inconsistent workplace with little management expertise or drive to retain employees. There a almost no professional standards and employees with no skills are often retained because of seniority. The team building is negligent and most of the institutional knowledge is protected. It seems that knowledge is the only job security and there is absolutely NO DEFINED path to advancement nor is there a specific program to hold poor performers accountable.
benefits
Cons
few opportunities, failed employee programs, poor management, embarrassing lack of strategy, little professionalism
Poor Leadership
Adult Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 29, 2018
A typical day at Adult Protective Services was reviewing case reports, research, collaborating with the community to resolve reported allegations of abuse, neglect, or exploitation. APS investigator position is best suited for entry-level workers. I learned Adult Protective Services have a lot of systemic issues and reflects a poor workplace culture. APS is a culture of negativity and demonstrates a modern day plantation culture, where intimidation is used to increase production and keep APS investigators in line. One of the hardest part of the job was listening to disgruntled employees who felt devalued. In addition, it was difficult to witness unit supervisors who supported a self-serving manager. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with co-workers and being out of the office.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Autocratic Leadership, workplace favoritism, lack of work life balance, and mundane position.
Altcs
Public Service Evaluator I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 24, 2018
The toughest part is the emotional portions and the most enjoyable are the State of AZ customers, co-workers and great management team. I was sad to leave my position due to relocation to another State however, ALTCS is a great environment to learn and have a great work life balance while providing much needed services to your community. While the position can be tough at times, you have very good support from management training you through daily situations that may arise for your customers and how to approach and handle these situations with grace. I strongly recommend applying with ALTCS.
Pros
Management support, work/life, abiity to telecommute
Growth
OFFICER II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 28, 2018
Worked for the state several years. Learned a lot of skills and enjoyed the employees. I do how ever felt that there was no room for growth unless you knew someone higher up. The pay is good but they take a lot of taxes and retirement out so you really don't see the difference in your pay check and the higher you promote in jobs with the state the more money is taken out.
Pros
job stability
Cons
a lot of favoritism, employees need more recognition, People placed in management positions that are not qualified, No incentives put into place or quarterly raises and bonuses.
Negative Culture/Low Pay/No Raises
Employee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 20, 2018
The culture is not ideal. The pay is not competitive in the market, and there are no raises. There are no options for employee development or to gain new skills.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Culture, Management, Pay
Great Benefits
LICENSING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 27, 2018
The state of Arizona has great perks and retirement plan but does not offer raises unless the Governor of Arizona approves them or you get a promotion.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Management not great, no raises and very big on Lean Project
would not recommend
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 5, 2018
compensation was very low for what was required from you. not only was pay so low management handled things very poorly. no oppurtunities for advancement
A day in the life of an Adult Protective Service employee
Adult Protective Services/ HSSIII aka Investigator (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 15, 2018
Work schedule is Monday thru Thursday from 6:00 am to 4:30 pm. I have learned peer pressure never leaves despite a persons age. There has been 3 directors in the past few years, new management is known to restructure responsibilities to fit their personal experience. All of this restructure, I want to feel it is done for the best of the vulnerable adult however, due to what I have witnessed I have to wonder. The workplace culture is fantastic, team efforts, no bias, very respectful of each other personal choices. The hardest part of this position is telling a person they can no longer care for themselves, be independent with finances or have to move to a higher level of care due to their needs. The most rewarding part of the current position I hold is getting cards and thoughtful notes from the clients and their families. Seeing and experiencing their smiles when everything is over and the client is safe and needs are being addressed.
Pros
Medical benefits and Flexible schedule
Cons
Bullying supervision, and mandatory retirement at 11.5%
Poor Management
Customer Service Rep III (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 28, 2018
Very poor management and no advancement or raises in the 15 yrs I was there.
All my reviews were Exceeds Job Performance.
My supervisor lacked the knowledge of the section or to lead.
Pros
Health and 401K
Cons
Poor management, lack of advancement, no raises.
Productive place to work as a team player
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 23, 2018
There is a lot to learn
management is good
different variety of culture to work with
To let a person know that they where not approved for UI benefits
To let a person know they were approved for UI benefits
Great to work for State of Arizona
Program Service Evaluator IV (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 29, 2018
I learned how important it is to be professional, positive attitude and maintain a friendly smile with everyone from staff to our families in need that we assisted everyday.
Pros
Room to grow and advance your career internally with the State of AZ
Cons
annual raise first 3 years
Job Stability
Program & Project Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 15, 2018
Great place to work if you like to stay on top of your game in the field that you are working in. Lots of room for growth and advancement if you apply yourself. Colleges and management work closely together and the communication between all teams are great!
Pros
great hours, time off
Cons
can't work overtime very often, unless approved
Good Benefits very stressful no recognition for hard work
Program Service Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Kingman, AZJune 28, 2018
Great co workers, stressful work , a lot of out of town training. Great benefits. No recognition for hard work. A lot of micro management. Fast paced ever changing.
Pros
Benefits are awesome
Cons
Stressful, no recognition of hard work, no room for advancement
Working with the State
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2018
The state is very difficult to work for. You have to work 10 years before you are vested in their retirement plan. The pay is not that great and they also take a mandatory 11% for retirement after 6 months of employment; I was not thrilled with this benefit at all; pay is low and they do not offer raises.
productive and busy place to work always work to be done
Program Service Evaluator Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Globe, AZJuly 10, 2018
Job was stressful with little job incentives which lowered the work Moral to almost nothing. Management was not supportive of employees and their needs to meet job requirements. Dealing with upset customers and unable to go above and beyond to help them due to time restrictions set fourth by upper management.
Pros
Great healthcare benefits and paid time off
Cons
no breaks, no job incentives
Productive and fun place to work
Recreational Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 4, 2018
I liked working for the State of Arizona, the job was low stress and kept me active in sports and athletics so I got to work out a lot. Management was great and treated me fairly.
Pros
Helped me stay active in sports and athletics
Cons
No job advancement
I wouldn't recommend unless you need a job
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 6, 2018
I took a job as a financial analyst and wasn't informed, until after I started the position, that there would be traveling required. The starting salary was fair but with the 11.8% mandatory pension requirement on top of that and the no raises ever policy, I wouldn't consider this fair pay.
Dangerous and Horrible Administration
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 12, 2018
Devious, back biting culture where it is easy for the employee to become investigated on a youth's lie or vendetta. 60% turnover annually is all you need to know at Adobe Mountain. Many employees have left mentally damaged by the culture and physically assaulte by youth. Expect to talk to Internal Affairs (no matter your job description) at some point because you will be accused of something and possibly be in legal jeapardy.
Registration of Arizona voters
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMay 28, 2018
Stand/Walk around designated eras asking people if they are interested in registering to vote. This job taught me how to be assertive and confident. The hardest part of this job was learning how to brush off people who are rude/dismissive. The management team was amazing at getting people pumped for the day. Others working there were really nice and friendly. The hardest part of the job was being outdoors for hours on end.
Pros
Friendly staff and management
Cons
Long hours outside

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Arizona. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight