State of Colorado
65Average

State of Colorado Employee Reviews

United States384 reviews
Great work environment
I truly enjoyed my working with my coworkers & my boss was very helpful. The schedule was extremely flexible, if you were also taking classes they were great about working around your course schedule as well.
Great team work
I love my job working with the State. Only reason I may need to change is due to possibly layoffs due to Covid-19. So I am updating my resume and seeing what other possible employment is out there.
Working in Accounting - beware
The Controller and DHS has no business being in a management position. She does not know how to manage individuals or teams, does not contribute to the team, and would rather spend her time forming clicks than doing any actual work. The culture on this team in this department it terrible.
Poor
A lot of harassment which was never addressed by management, even though they were made aware of it. Was swept under the rug. Will never look for employment here again.
It is a solid job, no real ability to move up unless someone quits.
It is a solid job, but pay is 22% lower than private sector. Also no options to advance or get a pay increase unless someone leaves. No pay for performance.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Underpaid; high turnover; Director is demeaning and arrogant
I’m a YSSI at Grand Mesa Youth Services Center, we are all about the “Hug a Thug” model. The Director is horrible, demeaning, disrespectful, and most of all lies to everyone including her supervisors! The leadership is not here to support the staff so don’t ever take a problem to them or you may lose your job for voicing a concern. It is a toxic culture of bullying, mistreatment, and disrespect. Most of the YSS Staff doing the work start out as kind and are here to help change the youths lives, however they usually don’t make it past the first year due to the culture of the facility. Staff are becoming desperate for change because they are being forced out of their jobs with no options for help.
There are no consequences for the youth in the center, and they are all entitled to everything they want. There is no learning from their bad choices that put them here,they continue to keep coming back.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND GMYSC, STAY AWAY!
Management micro manages all your work and does not allow you to do your job. Very poorly run State department in comparison to other State agencies. I could write a thesis of the issues top to bottom, but not worth the time.
Remote and Contract Work
I loved working here because I could do it on my time. I also worked a full time job besides this and it worked great for my schedule. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for extra income.
horrible management
They go to a lot of trouble to hire great nursing, tech staff and then, at least where I work, management will routinely bully, intimidate, overwork and set staff up to take the fall when something goes wrong. Complete lack of support from nursing management, who have no problem creating and enforcing policies that are unrealistic, unsafe and unnecessary. Turnover is high, morale is abysmal.
Annual holiday sick pay is great
Pay sucks For the type of work and hours you have to do.

I love what Do, the people we serve.

You never know what you're walking into on a given day.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at State of Colorado?
solid place to work. Educated people with driven and definable goals for the district.
Solid place to work. Educated people with driven and definable goals for the district. District 38 is a district focusing on the needs of the students they serve.
Sr .Net Developer
Good work atmosphere. Good to learn new technologies in the project. Good life and balanced work environment. All the developer in the project are very helpful.
Soc
My experience with the State of Colorado - Health Care Policy and Financing was a negative experience. This was my first time to work in the government sector. I found it very cumbersome and difficult to navigate as a new employee.
Social Security Disability
I have only transferred in to this organization a few moths ago. A typical work day is stressful. As our job is to determine is a person has the ability to return to work. In this agency there is little to no communication between co-workers. I have not interacted very much with management other than my direct line supervisor, so, at this point I really have no opinion regarding that subject. The hardest part about this position is knowing that there are people that have applied for benefits, really need the benefits, however the medical evidence proves otherwise and the claim has to be denied. The most enjoyable part of this job (which no will ever know from me) is when a person who has been granted benefits calls to thank me for my hard work and due diligence.
revolving door
A lot of room to move around in the division but nearly impossible to advance. Pay and benefits are great. The departments are completely segregated from one another so it's almost like working alone. The culture can be negative based on the type of work but peers are amazing, supportive and are willing to help any employee in need.
Pros
Flexible schedule, time-off, management is approachable
Cons
quantity vs. quality is an issue
Interesting and Very Confusing place to work
Management Was definitely not their strong suit, and also the job security sucks. Very Shady atmosphere and a lot of cut throat business happening. However the environment in terms of what you get to work on is pretty interesting, you get your hands on experience with a lot of different equipment. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend being a contractor for them.
A very challenging project with lots of stakeholders with different viewpoints
The state wanted a "Continuity of Care" system that would somehow link jail, probation, parole and prison inmate health care with the services they were provided when not under state supervision.
Poor Management
At first, this seemed like a great place to be. After a few months of working here, I realized that not to be the case. Management is extremely unhelpful and the lack of initial training is unfair. There are inconsistencies even between supervisors in the same department. The pay and benefits are decent. There is a lot of office politics and cliques, and if you choose not to be apart of that, you are deemed an outcast.
Underpaid; high turnover; cronyism, nepotism, and arrogance epidemic in management
To be fair, about half the organization including management is competent and well-meaning. However, a good population of their management is not.

There is a strong mix of people making career changes along with recent college and grad school graduates eager to learn the trade. They are underpaid, so once they earn their battle scars, they leave for greener pastures. In the top ranks, some of the managers are good and competent and well-meaning, but a good portion of them are under-qualified sycophants who rose to where they are based more on who they know than any sort of merit. Arrogance in the higher ranks is an issue, and many parts of the organization suffer from low morale because of it. Turnover in general in the lower ranks and arrogance and bumbling in parts of the upper ranks create the perception of overall organizational incompetence. Furthermore, the nature of the union-protected bureaucracy creates a staple of unmotivated or incompetent workers motivated only to earn a paycheck, with no drive toward adequacy let alone excellence.

The governor should hire efficiency experts and qualified medical professionals and analysts to do a top-down purge -- a shakeup -- of the organization.
Productive workplace.
I learned alot and gained alot of experience. People were great to work with. I hardest part of the job was getting the resources you needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new technologies.
Corrections officer
Extremely political, if they management like you ok but if they don't your gone, supervisors harassed line staff threatening line staff. This behavior had management's support
Pros
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Colorado. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
2.9
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight