State of Connecticut
Information from State of Connecticut:

State of Connecticut Employee Reviews

United States524 reviews
Staff Assistant
There was upward mobility in this job. I had much opportunity for learning and expanding my skills in the area of Human Resources. I sincerely enjoyed this job.
A lot of favoritism don't care about what cause only to an extent and do everything beyond for the customer only
Martin-Brower management is not right a lot of favoritism and discomfort good place to work but management suck. Management lies to the drivers and don't care . The pay is great.
Challenging but rewarding environment, great teamwork and peer support. Long hours, hard work.
Working as a criminal trial prosecutor requires a particular set of skills and both the willingness to engage and interact with different types of people. There's never a "light" day. It's a hard day's work demanding full commitment of time, intellect and energy. When it's right, it's highly rewarding.
Overall job summary
No matter how good of a worker you are the state treats you like any other employee. Most of the management is non existant and don't want to have any involvement unless they are forced to. There is very little room for growth. Pay and benefits are good though.
Doc
Our staff are just a number like the inmates. Our Supervisors are promoted on color and orientation 90%of the time. Your knowledge, skills, and ability mean nothing. If they say you did something wrong 10 years ago they can fire you for it and the union is so far in bed with the State, the top guys have committed crimes and even went to federal prison. CANT WAIT TO GET OUT!
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Loved my Job
Lots of overtime, late hours, little support. These children are not always in the best , not even good foster homes. Foster oarents need to start doing what they signed up to do. Be a loving parent to the children they take in. Most do not take them to their appts. or meetings, etc. Accountability. It's frustrating when they call and say I can't do this with them, I cant do that...
Great place to work.
I truly enjoyed working for the state of Connecticut. My managers were very helpful, and wanted for the employees to excel at our jobs. I would definitely work with them again.
Not for young people or anyone who likes fun
They don't care what you do, as long as your butt is in the chair.
I started and they had no work for me to do. They had me doing coding training exercises and learning every day for 2 months.
I love the fact that I can help children/people
What is most beneficial to me is helping the children/people in my work. My objective in all of my jobs is to be the best that I can be and make someone's life easier.
Stressful but great people to work with
A very stressful job at times but being a correctional officer was also very rewarding. Working with inmates can be dangerous and very stressful, but the people I worked with made the job very less stressful. Working in this environment taught me how to improve my people skills, and how to appreciate life.
Job overview
Most enjoyable was operating backhoe and the toughest part was winter hours and pay . Good place to work but difficult at times. Need to know how to fix equipment when it breaks down plowing but paving in the summer was ok but working in extreme weather was sometimes tough.
steady work
I was recovering from cancer. I could work from home. People would call up when they wanted to talk to someone. I worked 2 hays a week from 5m to 10pm.
Excellent employer with diversified training in the Criminal Judicial Branch
Help you improve your understanding of the criminal justice system and how to appropriately handle clients and customer service needs. Diversity and branch mission to make the state a better place for all.
Reliable
Intake a lot of information drafted by the courts. Assure the delivery of all dispositions were sent to the correct police department. Double checked records for accuracy.
As a highly experienced administrative assistant, I find the work duties here very mundane and unchallenging. Leadership is non-existeant here.
The unit I work in has no leadership, and if you're one of the director's "favorites" you can make your own schedule and do what you want. My job tasks were very unchallenging and rote in nature. There is no accountability and the morale here is very low.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No job growth, corrupt environment
Clueless management
Since DOC took over the medical you have captains and lieutenants making medical decisions that they have no business making. Your license is at risk everyday you go to work there. They can not keep staff because of the culture so nurses are being mandated 3-4 times a week for 16 hours.
sense of accomplishment
there are a variety of tasks so that no one gets board the salary is average but the benefits are great. there is too much paperwork but management works to decrease the burden. daily we are preparing cases for court and every 2 weeks we go to court to present the child support cases.
Horrible management
This place used to be a beautiful place to work . With the new management who are bullies and exhibit reversed racism . They are very punitive and our union is very weak and people are getting fired left n right . They mandate daily and when u go to work to be a good employee and get caught with your eyes closed after they made you work 16 hours or 20 hours every day then you shouldn’t be getting suspended or fired ??? It’s all a set up
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Management is horrible
I worked for a quasi-public agency, not the State of Connecticut itself
I interned at the Connecticut Auditors of Public Accounts for six months and I had a great time there. I was treated as a full time employee and was paid $15/hour. By the end of the internship, I was writing most of the final audit report for an entire government department. They offered an incredible amount of flexibility as I was able to choose my hours and I was even allowed to shave off one day of work every two weeks by working an extra hour on most days. The management was incredibly inclusive and respectful, and the office I worked in was incredibly diverse. As interns we were even given mentors outside of our supervisor that we could ask about anything, within or without of the agency. The mentors would help interns and new employees choose what they wanted to accomplish within their employment, as well as narrow down what their goals were. It was an incredibly helpful experience to me as an intern and the only reason I was unable to continue working with them immediately afterwards was due to me having to finish my final semester at college.
Management could use a refresh
The work atmosphere is that of a “boys club”. It is hard to advance unless you know someone. Hopefully with silver wave of retirements looming on the horizon, the State of CT will align its workforce with a more diverse employee base.
It was a pleasure working for the State as i have just Retired after over twenty five years of Service,,like to move on and start a new Chapter
It was a pleasure meeting everyone i had the opportunity to work with while working over 25 years of of State service I have since retired from State service State
Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Connecticut. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.5
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight