State of Connecticut Employee Reviews

Job responsibilities
Disabled Veteran Outreach Worker/Interviewer I (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 10, 2019
Job responsibilities I started out as an interviewer job matcher to applicant visiting veterans to acquire knowledge of their skills to match them to jobs requiring employees if possible I need my appointments directed the apprenticeship program for the state of Connecticut New Haven area did some job development helped employer satisfy employee needs
Excellent State agency to work for
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Wethersfield, CTJanuary 2, 2019
The state of Connecticut Department of correction is an excellent state agency to work for if you are looking to start a career with good pay, excellent benefits and excellent opportunities to move up. The state of Connecticut offers a generous benefits package and a pension after 25 years now but when I was hired back in 1999 you only had to do 20 years to receive your pension.
Pros
Pension/ excellent benefits
Cons
Dangerous work environment
Nice, pleasant environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 31, 2018
Department of Social Services is a public service agency for the State of Connecticut providing financial, medical, housing, child support and elderly assistance to residents of Connecticut.

Working in this type of setting, requires excellent customer service skills, interpersonal skills and strong computer skills. Bilingual preferred, but not required for all positions.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Healthcare can be expensive
Stable career choice with many benefits.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTDecember 30, 2018
Was active in all aspects of prison operations. Institutional codes and emergencies were the hardest part of this position.
Enjoyed co-workers and providing firm, fair, and consistent guidance to inmate population.
benefits
Good job around good people. Good work environment and interesting work.
Court interpreter/translator (Current Employee) –  Meriden, CTDecember 24, 2018
I’ve been employed as a full time court interpreter for 30 years now and retirement is looming. I could stay many more years if I wish but I’d love a change. I wouldn’t mind something new.
Pros
No free lunches but the work is interesting.
Review Summary
Principal Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 24, 2018
I am always appreciative of the opportunity to learn and get involved in multiple projects. I have the support of my Manager for the projects and initiatives that I am involved in to make the Unit/ Agency more knowledgeable and successful in meeting the goals of the Mission.
Pros
Career Opportunities
Cons
Too few opportunities to participate in travel, conferences, education
Great Benifits
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  South Windsor, CTDecember 18, 2018
I really enjoyed my job with the state of Connecticut, The co workers were great and very polite. It was a shame they had layoffs. It was a very relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
Free food at every shift
Cons
Working Holidays
Productive work environment
Accounts Examiner (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CT 06106December 16, 2018
This was one of my first serious jobs right out of college and it paid well for entry level and if I had stayed longer I am sure I would have been able to move up further in my career.
Hardworking and safe environment
Juvenile Detention, Detention officer (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTDecember 14, 2018
Protected children housed in detention, used each moment as a teaching moment encourage children to address their negative behaviors to prevent recidivism
Pros
Enjoyed working with children
Fast Paced Environment with important responsibilities.
Intake Assistant-Court Support Family Services (Current Employee) –  Windham, CTDecember 12, 2018
This position requires working with both Civil and Criminal Domestic Court issues with extensive communication with the public in making sure they are afforded every access to programs if applicable. The most difficult part of the job is knowing everyday that the people of the public that you assist are struggling with their own personal issues and trying to help them feel and let them know you are listening to them. The most enjoyable part of the position is working with great staff, the teamwork effort involved and getting to know so many people.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Repetative training programs.
Great career, rewarding work, difficult home/work balance
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 6, 2018
I have enjoyed may career at DCF. It is challenging yet rewarding work. The hours are long and it is constant high stress, which makes it hard for work home balance. There are a lot of opportunities but difficult to make changes within the agency.
Varies
SOCIAL WORKER/RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Middletown, CTNovember 28, 2018
Excellent place to develop strong case management, court work, and advocacy. Demanding work, long hours, but you can make a difference for children and families.
High energy environment
Mental Health Professional Manager (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTNovember 28, 2018
Typical day includes employee scheduling,payroll, attendance tracking, problem solving, on-call 24/7, supervision of unionized workers, employee meetings, supervision meetings, purchasing for client needs, report writing and HR functions. I learned high level management functions. Workplace environment has low morale, employees need lots of supervision and progressive discipline to complete job functions. Complex scheduling for 3 residential sites may be considered the hardest part of the job. Helping staff and clients find solutions to their issues is enjoyable..
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Uneducated workers
loved passing on knowledge
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Torrington, CTNovember 8, 2018
I was a part time instructor for Electrical. I loved working with the new comers in the field! The state discontinued the program in the Torrington area. Miss it!
Pros
teaching
Cons
discontinued the night classes in the area
No comment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 2, 2018
I worked for the state since 2006. I was a correction officer for 6 years. I was a nurse for 6 years. I worked with many good people in my time with the state.
Just Bad
Motor Vehicle Examiner (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTOctober 29, 2018
If you don't enjoy your life, family, mentality, happiness and enjoy being stressed then this is the job for you, a thankless position, no care for the employees, management is useless unless you enjoy being told how to work when some manger is sitting on their tail telling you what to do when they can't do it themselves.
Pros
alit
Cons
alot
great place to work
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTOctober 26, 2018
Excellent benefits, the co workers are good too. my boss is great and lots of room for growth. really don't have too much more to say except it was time to move on
Great
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutOctober 22, 2018
Greatfull to have worked. the hardest part of the job were the hours and schedule. Eight hour days many times turned into Sixteen hour days . Worked many holidays ,away from family and friends.
Salary not in line with cost of living
Judicial Marshal (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTOctober 15, 2018
Salary not in line with surrounding state, upper management very reactive not proactive. Advancement not based on merit, recognition for superior performance not consistent.
Very stressful, and absolutely no support from management
Child Protection Services Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 12, 2018
There are always multiple people out of work due to medical leave due to the high amount of stress. DCF does not care about their employees. They only care about numbers and meeting their benchmarks so they can exit the consent decree.
Pros
Pay, medical benefits
Cons
management, stress, high case loads

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Connecticut. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight