State of Delaware Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Would not recommend.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 28, 2018
The hardest part of this job is accepting the fact that you are not recognized for going beyond your job duties. The most enjoyable part of this job are the people I work with and the fact that what we lose in family time...we make up through teamwork and the interactions among the line staff.
Pros
Experience
State job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEJune 21, 2018
Job security, competitive but low pay, health and vision benefits, advancement opportunities depending on job and department, paid leave (sick and vacation)
Pros
Paid leave
Cons
Low pay
good work environment
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Kent County, DEJune 18, 2018
Excellent work agency. Decent benefits, Good job security. Friendly people to work with. Time off is granted when needed or if you take vacation you really are on vacation and not interrupted.
It's what you make of it
State of Delaware Worker (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEJune 12, 2018
Working for the State of Delaware is a blessing but also a curse. Many positions require that you have a B.A. but began your pay at $31,912 per year which averages out to approximately $912.00 biweekly after taxes and family medical benefits are taken out of your pay (Working 37.5 hrs. per week.) It just doesn't appear to be enough to live off of here (Standard of Living is higher) without getting an additional job (I obtained a second job) Working for the state does have its great parts to include longevity, permanency, health insurance, life insurance, and a 401K plan. Another positive is that you meet some really great people IF and I say IF you are lucky. I have been working for the State of Delaware for the last 11 years and I'm seriously thinking about going over the bridge to MD, or VA so that I could survive on working 1 job and spending time with my young children. Promotions are available.... Again, working for the State is what you make of it.
Pros
longevity, permanency, health insurance, life insurance, and a 401K plan
Cons
Low pay, stressful environments, high workload, extremely high turnover rate
Great if your looking chaos
SOCIAL WORKER/CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  DelawareJune 11, 2018
Things change on the daily but you are not always made aware of the changes until something is done incorrectly, Management has favorites and the work load that they expect on a daily is not realistic.
Pros
job security
Cons
management
work day, culture
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wilmington DEJune 10, 2018
Relaxed atmosphere, various and several interesting projects that could be worked on at your on pace, great environment for using individual ideas and skills. Ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
Pros
casual working enviornment
Cons
too many layers of management
Poor management
Toll Collector (Current Employee) –  Middletown, DEJune 4, 2018
Unfair career advancement practices no annual pay increases poor management no career growth opportunities poor staffing to meet volume not objective in disciplinary practices
Pros
Na
Cons
Too many to list
State of Delaware
Human Resources Technician (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJune 2, 2018
Fellow employees were nice to work with. Stressful in H.R.. Was given good training and resources. The benefits are good and a lot of days off and holidays.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Stressful
High stress job
Paraprofessional Educator (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, DEMay 24, 2018
High stress job dealing with behavioral students where staff and student safety is a big concern. Injuries to staff are not handled with respect (no post injury counseling). No ability for advancement regardless of educational background.
Pros
Fun with students
Cons
Little support from staff
productive
Investigator -ABCC (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 15, 2018
working here was productive and involved. I learned a lot and did a lot. My superiors were excellent and my future looked bright. Great place to work, great environment.
Administrative
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 7, 2018
Lack of communication. Staff to patient ratio was very low. We received no increase for the cost of living in 10 years. I enjoyed working with the doctors and nurses to make a positive impact on the patients experience within the hospital
Pros
Working with the patients and doctors
Cons
style of management
The World of Contract Administration and Signal Maintenance
Administrative Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEMay 5, 2018
This was a relatively low stress job until the new boss took over and all the old processes and procedures were put on hold when the new guy showed up. He made it clear that he was not anyone's friend and the contracts took precedence over anything else.

He ran roughshod over his support staff and supervisors. It was his way or the highway.
coffe shop
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  555 Hyetts Corner Road Middletown, Delaware 19709May 4, 2018
I can work well with the work crew but, I did what I was told that needed to be done. I liked that the coffe shop was a quiet place were teachers and staff can come in and grab lunch togo.
State of Delaware
Senior Social Worker/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 3, 2018
I have learned a lot at this company. Progressing cases and interacting with clients are a huge part of the job. Communication with other offices is necessary to complete some task.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Stressful at times
Good Leadership
Consultant - Senior Functional Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 2, 2018
Contract position - good leadership.
Colleagues pleasant and very helpful.
Learned much about the agency.
Technology was current.
Pleasant work environment.
Pros
Leadership, Educational
Cons
Short term assignment
Decent Work Environment
Bridge Operate /Equipment Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEApril 27, 2018
A typical work day keeps me on my feet and moving. I've learned how to operate equipment. The hardest part of the job is being one of the few female workers.
Great benefits
Senior Social Worker/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 24, 2018
I enjoyed working for the State of Delaware. It was a little slow paced but other departments were faster paced. I left on medical leave and my position was filled.
I am really looking forward to actually being hired as a state employee
Administrative Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 23, 2018
Very good evaluation from my former Superintendent. She gave me a chance to enhance my skill to par, and allowed me to partake in different work ethics.
Nice job
Family Crisis Therapist (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 16, 2018
I'll start things off. On the most basic level, I enjoy talking with people. My job provides me an opportunity to put that basic urge to use for a purpose. I'm a very social person, since before the word "social' meant anything other than in-person
Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DEApril 12, 2018
Good place to work.however the pay is very low and pay raises are not happening .. We are lucky if you can find a higher oaying position that you can transfer too !!
Pros
Easy
Cons
Low pay