State of Delaware Employee Reviews

ok
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT III (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEDecember 10, 2018
I enjoy the work environment the salary is not competitive across the board at the state of Delaware. I would recommend working for the state for someone coming out of college to gain experience.
Pros
Excellent coworkers
Cons
salary
Learned to work well with others.
State of Delaware (Former Employee) –  Milford, DEDecember 7, 2018
I learned to work well with others - help others complete their jobs, understand the work ethic of others, management could be a very good thing (but was not for me).
Pros
Everyone was trusting and fun to work with.
Cons
n/a
Productive State Government Agency -
Chief Information Officer (CIO) - IS Manager (Current Employee) –  Dover, DENovember 15, 2018
Leading the Office of Information Technology for the Department of Transportation. Managing the day to day operations, including budget, procurement, systems enhancement projects and supplier agreements. Coordinating technical delivery aspects in a matrix organization, balancing the demands of the business with technology and service providers. Collaborate with various business units for new IT initiatives to deliver overall DOT services.
Pros
State employment - Stable overall
Cons
Respect for individual
Department of Corrections
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DENovember 13, 2018
No one ever raises their hand in elementary school and says,"I want to be a correctional officer when I grow-up". Be that as it may, Delaware Department of Corrections provide you the best training as it relates to dealing with stress. You work in an environment where you don't know if your going home at the end of an (8) hour shift due to staff shortages. You are out numbered on average (1) officer to (60) offenders. You are dealing up close and personal with individuals who don't want to be there and you have to management the offenders in a way that they don't do any harm to you, fellow staff members, other offenders, themselves, and property. All the while, making sure that they get their meals, medication (if necessary), hygiene, recreation, and when ordered by the courts: education/treatment programs.
Pros
Job security once you are off probation.
Cons
Unpredictable work schedule makes it hard to plan anything with the family.
Social Worker/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, DENovember 2, 2018
Great place to work especially having a kid and when needing to take days off to attend to him. The overall experience has been wonderful and the supervisors really push you to reach your fullest potential.
Nice Group
Administrative Specialist II (Current Employee) –  New Castle County, DEOctober 29, 2018
every day is a different day, and things can change in your daily list at a moment notice, the group I work with is a smaller group but we all get along and can pick up the slack for each other when needed.
benefits
Cons
low pay
Challenging mission
Medical Director (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEOctober 25, 2018
Funding will always be a challenge but the mission is very necessary. The offenders are very much in need of rehabilitation and education to prepare them for release back to the community.
State veterans cemetary
Conservation Technician - State Veterans Cemetery (Current Employee) –  Bear, DEOctober 21, 2018
Work culture of the grounds crew is diligent and hardworking. The cemetery manager is indifferent and complacent. For the work that is performed by the grounds crew is decidedly underpaid for the skilled labor that is performed.
Pros
conservation technicians are hardworking good people, vacation and sick time
Cons
complacent management at all levels, compensation is less then 12 usd hourly for providing skilled labor.
Relative Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEOctober 9, 2018
It was very relaxing cause I worked from home with my own grandkids, I prepared all the meals and menu with my kids, made my own schedule as far as trips, learning activities. I was my own boss, to a decree, I had to take clsses to keep my relative cae liccenses, I love the job my grandkids had to start school the harded part of the job iwas sometime the parents was late or figure that they didnt have to pick up there kids. I got paid every 2 weeks
Fair Enough
Data Processing Administrator (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEOctober 1, 2018
I recently retired from the State of Delaware. It provided me with the ability to raise my family and the benefits were good. The pay was minimal and at times I had to have a second job.
Pros
The ability to take time for your family emergencies
Cons
Low Pay
Productive job
Senior Social Worker/Case manager (Current Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 27, 2018
The typical day at work is busy and fast paced. It is a rewarding job helping to assist people. I learned a lot and the management supports you. The most rewarding part of the job is helping those in need.
Poor mis-informed people
Social Service Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 25, 2018
The State of Delaware is a State agency not a fortune 500 company. All these Corporate America employees, they don't get it we are supposed to saving lives not killing them off.
Discriminates and practices nypotism
Senior Social Worker/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, DESeptember 19, 2018
Leadership know nothing about morals and making decisions. Never work smart just hard. People have worked here for years and not because if the climate and stupid ness. Good people want to leave
great place
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 17, 2018
very stable career as long as you can handle it. if you have a passion for children and would like to help a fqamily out this is the place for you. amazing
Pros
very little supervision, very attentive about complaints
Great Palce for Advancement
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 13, 2018
Great environment. Need time for advancement doesn't happen overnight. Great building morale. Fast paced environment. You should really be there for the people they serve in order to enjoy your career.
The Job was not a good job for a state position.
Social Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, DESeptember 7, 2018
I would not recommend this Job to any who expect a raise, or anyone who wants to be talked to with respect. I went happy to get a state job, but left with a all around had experience.
Pros
Same hours
Cons
people are not very nice
State of Delaware
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  DelawareSeptember 7, 2018
Worked at the state of Delaware for a number of years. Have applied for different positions. Total of 13 applications,which would’ve taken me higher than where I started, however there is a lot of favoritism and nepotism. When the positions are posted, they are actually just posted because they are required to post. Usually there is already a person that will get that position. If you are not in the click you will not Advance.
Pros
Benefits are great, and you are vested after 5 years
Cons
Nepotism, favoritism, and discrimination in advancement
CAD Administrator State of Delaware contract
CAD Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dover, DESeptember 6, 2018
It was a challenge to get the 911 system for the state of Delaware operational. Once operational a full time position was discussed but never came to fruition. I worked very diligently to make the whole State system the best it could be. It was the best in the country. After three plus years my contract ended and was awarded to a company with more connection to the state. It was a pleasure working for the law enforcement, first responders and people who help our society every day. It made me feel good inside.
Cons
24 x 7 availability at all times
Daily Review of Family and Child Tracking System
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DESeptember 5, 2018
Responsible for the Oracle DB running on a UNIX server. Daily monitored status and performed maintenance activities as necessary.

Workplace culture was go with the status quo.
Poor
Equipment Mechanic II & VI (Former Employee) –  Bear, DEAugust 31, 2018
Overall a poor work environment. Poor management with no leader ship. Not clean at all no motivation to work or better. Lack of career advancement. Overall poor.