State of Delaware Employee Reviews

Good on resume to get another job!
Planner (Former Employee) –  Sussex County, DEMarch 16, 2019
Working for the state is mostly negative! The good is the benefits, experience with government, serving citizens, and the connections you make. If you have a family, the flex time is great! However, many job titles are so far below the private sector, it lessens some of the benefits. There is a lot of nepotism and the state actually allows relatives to work in same Division which is VERY bad for morale. The culture is highly political- it is not what you know or how dedicated you are- it is who you know. So "cozying" up to right people can get you to a leadership position, even if you are unqualified, have only a high school education or just have the right physical profile! The state seldom reviews job categories to make them equitable, So I suggest not making it a career unless you are making $70,000+ per year. The benefits may be ok now, but the state wants and will lessen benefits in the future! If you work here, don't stay too long!!
Pros
Employee health and benefits
Cons
Incompetency, slow, lack of creativity, highly political
High turnover and poor managment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEMarch 11, 2019
Best advice is not to try and make friends. Employees are like to gossip and talk. They will run to management to harass you if they do not like you. It doesn't matter if you are a team player or hard working. The turnover is extremely high. My first year I witness 7 different employees come and go do to poor management. Mind you the kitchen staff total was only 6 employees.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Unpaid volunteer hours
Horrible Culture
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMarch 10, 2019
Unless you're an attorney, don't work here. You will not be respected by HR or the attorneys. Management is horrible. Nobody receives any training walking in, they're just supposed to "figure it out." People report that it's "just a job" when working with victims of serious and violent crimes, and do not care about the people they serve.
un organized
Administrative work (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, DEMarch 9, 2019
not enough pay or benefits for casual seasonal employees and what you are required to do for no benefits and only 20+ hours a week. Lots of networking and meeting great people.
Pros
networking
Cons
no benefits
Full of bureaucracy
Compliance Nurse (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, DEMarch 4, 2019
The position itself was good but there was too much left up to the individual to determine if something was an issue or not which provided the opportunity for the people with no life to spend countless hours beating a dead horse or making a mountain out of a mohill just because they could. This left the rest of the team in a stream of misery because all things had to be done as a group. You could not just do your own work and move on unfortunately, If you like someone else controlling when you can leave work for the day then this is the job for you. If you hate being home with your spouse or don't have small kids this job is for you!
Pros
Job security and pension
Cons
Low pay and crazy coworkers
Cna
Cna (Current Employee) –  Milford, DEFebruary 28, 2019
Great company to work for. Friendly staff and easy to deal with supervisors very clean facilities great pay scale fun environment for residents and staff
Could use some help.
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milford, DEFebruary 12, 2019
Not much chance for advancement, no seniority perks anymore if your related to someone you have a better chance at getting hired. I don't agree with relatives working together in the same building its very detrimental to the morale of the employees with promotions only going to family members and close friends.
Pros
Good hours and benefits
Cons
Wages and no advancement
Stay Away from the Division of Family Services
Division of family services (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 6, 2019
Caseloads on average are 50 when they are supposed to be 12-20. The upper management has no authority over certain supervisors so that creates many problems. Supervisors fight with other supervisors and workers weekly, constantly trying to make each other look bad. Not going into specific details on how things are run here when it comes to case management because it would make the division sound absolutely awful.

Stay away from DFS for now.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, help children, benefits
Cons
Take cases that are Risk Of (which could literally be everything), no direction, hated by the community, no respect from police
Dietary Aide is productive n Childcare can be overwhimming , it is very productive , you get to help the children with their homework.
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Seaford, DEFebruary 5, 2019
I just like helping people , I love helping the elderly because they need people to help them n sometimes listen to them . I dont mind running errands or grocery shopping or taking them places n cooking n cleaning , cooking n washing clothes.
Pros
Helping the elderly n helping chidren
Understaffed and dont listen
Correctional Corporal (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, DEJanuary 27, 2019
The department of correction is severely understaffed to the point that employees dont have a healthy work/life balance. The higher ups dont listen to their staff and as a result got an officer killed.
The job was fast paced and interesting.
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJanuary 9, 2019
The job was fast paced and interesting. I had the opportunity to take several classes that helped me in the performance of my job.
The management was usually available to answer questions or address concerns.
Most of the offices are business casual which which leads to a more relaxed work day.
The hardest part was the waiting for new policies to actually take place. It takes a lot of steps to implement change of any kind in a government job.
Very productive with a lot of exchanging of ideas. The co-operation between departments made for a very enjoyable experience.
A great place to work with very nice parties at year end.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Hard to get promoted.
N/a
Youth Rehabilitation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 8, 2019
Good company to work for.
• Conduct functional activies for residents and make sure all rules and regulations are followed.
• Evaluate residents behavior on a daily basis using behavior observation forms.
• Provides informal counseling to assist youths in adjusting to unit life.
Mixed Emotions
Storage Supply and Distribution Technician II (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 7, 2019
Like most jobs when the management changes the culture changes and it was great at first but now it is terrible. My day to day could change as well as the responsibilities which are always in my job description. I am a firm believer of being positive and seeing the best in things but I also have to be honest about it. I have some decent days but not enough.
Pros
Benefits and full time Job
Cons
Overworked and under paid feeling of not appreciated as well
Needed help
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJanuary 4, 2019
I enjoyed my time working at the Department of Health & Social Services. The people in position to help with advancing your career where unavailable or unhelpful.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Low pay and low career advancement
Opportunities
Industrial Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 4, 2019
Great opportunity for employment very flexible on work schedules good experience working with a lot of different people.
Colleagues were easy to work with and resources were available
DE (Former Employee) –  DEDecember 29, 2018
Compensation is okay. Benefits are reasonable. The most difficult is the turnover, especially of management. It causes a constant fluctuation of the environment.
Versatile Environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Delmar, DEDecember 26, 2018
At this job, I was able to do something different on the daily basis. One day I could work with the younger children, the next older, and even being given the opportunity to work with the cafeteria staff. I really enjoyed this job. Children can make anyone's day better.
Pros
Convenient shift
Cons
No benefits offered without being full time
Lots of fieldwork and discretion in caseload
Investigator II (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEDecember 23, 2018
Although in my current position there is no room for advancement, I love the flexibility and ability to manage my caseload . My caseload can get large depending on the season, but environment is supportive.
Pros
Supportive and flexible
Cons
no rrom for advancement
ok
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT III (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEDecember 10, 2018
I enjoy the work environment the salary is not competitive across the board at the state of Delaware. I would recommend working for the state for someone coming out of college to gain experience.
Pros
Excellent coworkers
Cons
salary
Learned to work well with others.
State of Delaware (Former Employee) –  Milford, DEDecember 7, 2018
I learned to work well with others - help others complete their jobs, understand the work ethic of others, management could be a very good thing (but was not for me).
Pros
Everyone was trusting and fun to work with.
Cons
n/a