State of Florida Employee Reviews

Found 1,033 reviews matching the search See all 1,038 reviews
An enjoyable working environment
Gov Ops Consultant II (OPS) - ACCESS Training Unit (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 21, 2018
I truly enjoyed working with the State of Florida DCF. Some of the most wonderful people working there you'd ever want to meet. A very close-knit environment. There was a decent amount of department turnover, not only from older employees retiring, but other staff shifting positions and managerial changes.

I was given a good deal of autonomy to work independently, and I understood my job tasks and what was expected of me. I really enjoyed being able to work without close supervision, and to use my skills most effectively to aid the department in their goals.

Everyone there was quite pleasant, and we never had instances of arguments, drama, or inter-department frustrations. We all worked together cohesively as a group and got along very well.

I would still be working there, but sadly, the funding for my position ended, and the department could no longer keep me there.
Pros
Great people, pleasant work environment
Cons
Wasn't able to transition from OPS to career service position
it was ok
Maintenance Crew/Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Madison, FLSeptember 20, 2018
Did not like people to get a lot of overtime. It was a alright place to work, it was a crazy place with a lot of crazy people. everything happenes for a reason.
Great place to advocate for children
Statewide Director of Programs (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 16, 2018
Super hard working staff and volunteers. Can be emotionally taxing at times but knowing that you are helping children makes it well worth it. Not for overly sensitive people.
Pros
Strong committment to helping children
Cons
Emotionall stressful
florida state hospital (Former Employee) –  Chattahoochee, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Caring for someone with mental health problems brings with it unique challenges. Mental health problems vary greatly in severity and causes. Mild problems are common and the person can be helped through understanding and support.
Don't Bother
Disability Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Although the State has good benefits, the compensation for Disability Determinations employees is poor. There is a large discrepancy between the amount of work that is required, and the compensation that is given. Upper management is woefully oblivious to problems within the agency and there is no action being taken to correct any of it. Overall not a good place to work if you enjoy your sanity.
Production based environment
Economic Self-Sufficiency Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLSeptember 11, 2018
Production based environment with high pressure and stress due to under-staffing and an abundance of folks needing help. Pay should definitely be higher due to antiquity of equipment, complexity of job and pressure.
Pros
Can be an okay job with proper staffing.
Cons
Supervisors are pressured to overmaximize staff.
work day
Waiver Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 10, 2018
great people to work with nice job. would work there again of I had the opportunity to do so. great benefits and flexible work space and hours were great
Difficult Job
Adoptions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 10, 2018
Working in this environment was difficult because counselors were required to supervise families and children. Even though counselors made recommendations for placements, the administrators are only concerned with numbers. But when there is a problem, the counselors are held responsible. The system is broken.
Excellent Benefits
Awesome boss

Lacking advancement opportunities
Low wages
Only received one pay raise in 10 years
No cost of living increase
Public Agency
Vocational Rehabilitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 5, 2018
Considered a public servant as the pay is not much. Work can be challenging as you are collaborating with many stakeholders, If you enjoy working with the special needs populations very rewarding job.
Pros
State employment
Cons
low salary
poor working environment
Economic Self-Sufficiency Specialist I (ESSI) (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLSeptember 4, 2018
not a fair opportunity employer. friends over seniority and experience. Micro management and no confidentiality or morale as well as no respect for others..
Pros
one hr lunches
Cons
low pay have to fit in the click .
Relaxed culture.
Tax Auditor V, General Tax Administration (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLSeptember 4, 2018
Enjoy meeting the business owners in my district. I enjoy going onsite to a taxpayer's location and meeting the employees as well as the management. I find it encouraging to watch people build a business particularly when they have a real passion for their endeavor. It takes a special type of person to build a successful business in today's world with all the regulations, permits, statutes, taxes, liabilities, etc.

The hardest part of my job is notifying a hard working taxpayer that they owe additional money, usually because they do not understand the statutory requirements.

The management that I have been exposed to during my tenure with the State has been mixed. I have worked with management who I believed had no idea of their mission or the mission of the department....completely out of their realm. On the other hand I have worked with management that is well versed in their mission, and have the security and confidence to let their employees do their thing.
Pros
Good benefits, relaxed culture, low stress.
Cons
Low salary, slow to change, little desire for process improvements.
N/a
Food Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 31, 2018
I really enjoy working here , they will work with you and your schedule , you can make over time and the benefits are great. Provide health insurance .
Gain good experience, but, you will be flat broke.
child advocate (Former Employee) –  Ft. Myers, FLAugust 27, 2018
Most of the salaries are below the poverty rate except for upper management. Upper management does whatever they want to...work at home, make unnecessary trips, take long lunches.....whatever they feel like doing. They are a strong clique that protects each other.
Pros
Some great positions!
Cons
The pay is extremely low!
I would never!
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 27, 2018
To many cases and not enough pay. There hasnt been a raise since before i started here. This position sounds good until you actually get the cases and realize how much work it actually is for one person. The quota's are ridiculous and the pay again is horrible. You are constantly stressed about getting your work done and they dont offer overtime.
Pros
Work from home if your numbers are good
Cons
No raises.
Horrible work environment
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLAugust 27, 2018
My time spent working with the state of Florida was one of the best learning experiences i have had. however it was something that I can say was truly a blessing to do
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Good learning experience
No comment
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 26, 2018
It was a stressful and dangerous job with no raises ever. It was always a political challenge for anything such as days off, vacation off, post change, calling off, uniforms, training. If you weren't part of the in with it crowd, nothing would go in your favor.
Stressful and not worth the pay
ESS1 (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 24, 2018
They keep saying that people stay with the state for years for the benefits. I do not understand that since their benefits are similar to other big companies but with low pay. The job I had should have paid $18/hour because it was specialized but I only got $11/hour. A lot of people who work for the state in my location who also have other part-time jobs to make ends meet. Not for me. I stayed 3 months and that was enough.
prison work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milton, FLAugust 23, 2018
I was a correctional officer and the job was stressful had allot of long nights but the pay was good. You supervise inmate populations and try to make sure there are no incidents.
Pros
pay, advancement
Cons
stress, hazards
Imspector. Safett and Sanitation Specialist
Sanitation & Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 23, 2018
Great place to work. Quality of life, but poor compensation. State cars run down and little is spent to maintain them. Employees are wonderful. Benefits are great as well.
Benefits
Cons
Pay