State of Florida
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

State of Florida Employee Reviews

Found 1,491 reviews matching the search
Management still behaves in top down para-military style. Outdated and inequitable. They still hire people who are not suited to professional jobs. When people need to be let go it takes too long. Managers don't want input. They say they do but I put is punished with threats of hours cut. Just an old boot on your neck style of management.
Pros
Got free vaccine and flu shots.
Cons
Old fashioned style. Serious. Parental feel.
Good work-life balance. Able to take time off. Wonderful customers, coworkers, and management. Your work helps the environment, work can be fun, and fast-paced.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Could pay more
The training is sitting down and watch other employees then you have to watch lots of videos for the job. Then they throw you on the floor to deal with a mad crowd that had been waiting for a long time to get in, if they are outside like the Kendall office customers can be very nasty. You are expected to answer questions about licensing and immigration. Management comes out and helps only when the big bosses are around. And once you get to work in the computers you are expected to process a minimum of 46 licenses from customers that come in with complicated immigration status.
Benefits
Cons
Hostile enviroment if you don't have the right look
It takes a special kind of person to enjoy work in the Public Sector. Very little to no stress kind of environment. However, there is very little room for advancement.... and whatever your starting salary is, get use to it. You will not be getting a raise anytime soon, unless the budget allows. Even then... maybe 3% increase tops.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities; Pay schedule/salary
Great job but as OPS you do not get any benefits except health. No OT nothing and the pay is extremely low. I like the people but you must be able to learn quickly and always be ready for a challenge.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
It's fairly easy to get hired. Must have great communication skills with people of all races, Spanish language would be a great asset. There will be some very long days, 16hrs plus at short notice. There's a variety of shifts you can work. There's room for advancement if you want. The pay is fair(compare to other states)but there's a good pension. Always good to keep work and home separate as there will be stress involved.
Pros
Pension, benefits
Cons
High stress levels
It's has It's ups and downs. Plenty of work to do throughout a 8 hour work day. Never a dull moment. Like how they handle working during the pandemic.
Pros
Benefits, stability
Cons
Pay
Management was lacking or unavailable. You are treated as a number not as a person. They hire more temporary employees than permanent so they do not have to pay holiday pay. Compensation very low.
Benefits
Cons
Compensation
You will learn a lot and training is there if you want it. You will not be compensated for learning new skills or your years of experience. Legislature decides on raises not your performance.
Pros
Training
Cons
Compensation. High stress. Physical danger.
I worked as An Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist. I worked in three locations in Florida. The expectations for caseload processing is extremely high. The only way to achieve time standards is to do the minimal to process the case or push them rough without verifying anything at all. I know of instances where people ate their lunch over a keyboard every day, no real break from work. I myself usually worked 1 to 2 hours unpaid every single day. Whenever a whistleblower reported that we were working without pay due to extremely high case volume, top management would go through the motions but nothing ever changed. Staff are still very stressed and turnover is high. We went years and years without a pay raise. Once in a while a “Bonus” which was taxed. After 10 years, I quit at the first opportunity.
Pros
Could wok from home
Cons
Low pay, high turnover, extremely stressful workload.
Depending on which department you work for. Supervisors dont want to weed out the toxic workers and so therefore the high turnover keeps going and can never keep employees. People pick and choose who they want to help instead of everyone working as a team.
Pros
Flexability, benefits
Cons
Pay, toxic work place, bad communication, micro managing
Benefits are the best reasons to seek a position with this employer. Plenty of sick leave, annual leave, flexibility with schedule, and the ability to go back to school. Other good benefits include investment and pension plans. Pay could be better and match national averages for each position. Since the employer is the government, there is often a lot ambiguity in guidelines. Does not make the work hard, just unnecessarily challenging at times. Family culture amongst each team in the area is a major plus!
Pros
Benefits like tuition reimbursement and plenty of PTO
Cons
Pay does not match your responsibilities
Working for the state has its pros and cons one of the best parts about working for the state is the benefits but the pay is very poor compared to the work that is required. Even with a college degree it’s hard working toward a promotion when favoritism is used to place under qualified employees in position.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, Work/life balance, benefits
Cons
Pay and advancement
Job security once you make it pass the probationary period. Excellent benefits, but no pay raises and low salary. But every weekend off and holidays.
We are overworked and underpaid. We are treated like robotsThis is literally a call center position. the phone rings non stop for 8 hours straight. management does not care about the feelings of their employees. customers are allowed to treat us any way and get away with it.there are so many people quitting this job they hire literally all year long.the pay isn't even enough for a single person to live off of.if you want a job where no one cares about your feelings then this is the job for you.be prepared to be overworked and not appreciated at all. also be prepared to be screamed at and yelled at by customers for 8 hours while you can't do anything about it because "the customer is always right" and even though they treat us terrible we have to still treat them like royalty.there are never any promotions for hard workers. upper management only promotes their favorites. hard workers only get more work.i really see why the health insurance is so inexpensive the way this job takes a toll on your health you're going to need it.
Pros
Set schedule, weekends off, health benefits, work from home opportunity
Cons
Literally everything else
I didn't work here long due to COVID. The office environment was very dark. They literally kept the overhead lights turned off at all times and it was dark inside the office. Very depressing actually.
Pros
Good state benefits
Cons
Low pay, depressing environment
Way too many tasks for not enough money. They want to make sure you're stressed out and every last minute of your work day is filled with a task with some tasks spilling over into the next day with additional tasks for the next day piled on top. Never mind a bathroom break and don't even pay a living wage. Horrible place to work.
The position is not difficult however it is a lot of mental work that can be exhausting. If you are not a fast typer and quick learner, then this is not the job for you. This type of position is for someone out of high school and is in no way for an adult with children and bills. There are multiple job-related systems (over 10) that you must use in certain cases to verify the information to process the case. Sometimes I feel like the job itself is impossible. This job has made me an extremely fast typer
Pros
Currently working from home due to covid
Cons
Pay sucks
Salary sucks!! Work in the private sector, the State does not pay well. And our salaries are dictated by the Legislature, State employees had a salary last year(2020) and it was 8 years overdue.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Horrible work environment!! Overworked and underpaid. Poor training and they expect us to be knowledgeable in something that we weren’t trained for. No protection for us against Covid and we have cases frequently.
Normal 9-5 job. Great place to work. Judicial is high up the chain. Compensation could be more but overall I'm satisfied. Nothing is uniform acrossed the circuit. .
  1. Employee Reviews