State of Florida Employee Reviews

Found 1,108 reviews matching the search See all 1,113 reviews
fun and alot of training and experience
Landscaper/Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Union, FLJanuary 17, 2019
i learned no matter what kind of job it is with the training anything is possible and also the team players working to get the job done the right way.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Great
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 17, 2019
All government jobs have their ups and downs but overall I can say I would pick a government job over most companies because the benefits are always so good and the work isn't too hard but also not too easy.
Do not work gor the state
No comment (Former Employee) –  TasmpaJanuary 16, 2019
I wouldn't recommend working for the Department of Children and families. The management sucks no proper training and you dont get paid overtime.......
Pros
Cons
No overtime and poor management
Great environment
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Stuart, FLJanuary 11, 2019
Wonderful place, great weather! Tough state to make money. Huge retirement town. Low wages and not a lot of job openings. Working in hot climate can be difficult
State of Florida
Legal Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 10, 2019
Really good benefits, great hours, very easy to take time off. The management is horrible, the people are very negative. We don't make enough money in order to live.
Reward
INDEPENDENT DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 8, 2019
I enjoyed working as a independent contractor, I enjoyed working with the people that I worked with. All of the work I had was well worth my time. I would tell anyone to work hear.
Pros
contract
High stress, low pay
Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FL 33901January 5, 2019
I am an ESSI based out of Ft Myers - As an ESSI, you are really just a glorified data entry clerk. They are more concerned with production than the actual end result, which should be assisting the clients. The pay is very low and you get pushed very hard. The seniors ( who as essentially supervisor assistants) vary. Some are extremely knowledgeable while others truly have no clue when they tell you how to process something. Some of them sit in the office with their headphones on playing video games or watching YouTube. Some you avoid asking any questions of because you know they are going to give you the wrong answer. One in particular talks down to trainees, calling them peons when he addresses them. If you can get through the year training period in the office, the major advantage is that Ft Myers is primarily a telecommute location, so you get to eventually work from home. If you have children, that is a nice feature because you can lose the daycare expense and that may make up for the low pay. You can not survive on just this wage however. If you are not a two income household, you will never survive unless you have a roommate, live with your parents or live in subsidized housing. If you ask about the retention rate, they will tell you it is very high. That is false. I have yet to experience or hear of a class that has gone through and retained 50% of the trainees within the first year. I will say that most of the supervisors are great and very hands on. They are always checking up on employees and are very available to you whether you are in the office or  more... at home.  less
Pros
Telecommute, benefits
Cons
Low pay, high stress
Not a job I would consider making a career
ESS1 (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 4, 2019
Not enough compensation or consideration given for the job requested. Not a professional atmosphere. The employees are come off as having attitudes because they're all under stress from working there.
Cons
Salary
Good Employment
Federal Grant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 3, 2019
The State of Florida is a good place to work especially if you are fresh out of college. The pay scale is not as good as other states but the living expenses are less as well. The work is challenging and rewarding and employees are appreciated for their skill sets.
Pros
Good Benefit package
Cons
low salary
Easy slow paced job
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 2, 2019
Slow paced job that is easy but does not pay a lot of money. Work load is too much for the salary that is offered. Position gives little to no raises or chance to advance.
Pros
Easy going
Cons
Too much work, for the pay

Want to know more about State of Florida?

Ask a question
A good Job
Examiner (Current Employee) –  Miami, FL 33196January 1, 2019
Hard workers only can make it
I feel a great sense of accomplishment when the public is served with integrity and excellence. We have an amazing group of committed employees that exercise integrity and compassion for people.
Pros
Security
Cons
Not opportunities
Great career!
Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 29, 2018
If you are fast paced and confident then this job is for you. You effect a lot of lives in this position. There was a lot of training and knowledge to absorb. The case load is overwhelming but you always have help.
Pros
Benefits, pay and helping the public
Cons
high case load, time-standards and always doing yesterdays work
Nothing to add
Deputy Secretary of Business Regulation (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLDecember 25, 2018
Nothing to add the comments made above. My time there was spent dealing with many of the political issues facing most state regulation agencies. Trying to promote, protect and support the overall interest of the state, its businesses and importantly its citizens.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Adjunct Professor
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 23, 2018
I was hired as an adjunct professor for Saturday morning classes from 9 to 12. I consisted on one hour lecture and 3 hours lab. A full time teacher was hired to replace several adjunct professor's and I was one of them. It was a great working and teach experience and I felt that I made a contribution to the College and helping the students to succeed.
Overloaded caseload
Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 19, 2018
While it's wonderful to help those in need its a highly stressful job at times and no raises with difficulty to promote. The health insurance and paid time off is great but you have to ask for time off months in advance to try and use it.
Benefits
Cons
No raise
Poor work place
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 19, 2018
The management was hard to deal with. On a day to day basis we were short staffed and had to do extra work. We were required to supervise more inmates then legally allowed.
Stable work Environment
Internal Auditor/ Senior Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLDecember 19, 2018
The work environment is stable and does not change much from day to day. Although the work environment is rather laid back, a high level of productivity is expected.
Typical Day as Facilities Manager
Facilities Manager Maint. Supervisor and Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLDecember 18, 2018
Taking care of 5 or more buildings with 5 or more State Agencies as tenants. Days vary , inspections, oversee small to large projects.etc best getting a job well done.
Pros
Uniforms/ shoes for maintenance
Cons
long hours/ being on call
High turn over and lack of appreciation for public service
Operations Review Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 17, 2018
Lack of proper training and the tools needed to accomplish expected tasks. Unreal expectations that are not properly communicated or followed through with established procedures lead to confusion and improper leadership.
Government Agency
Lead Electronic Court Reporter (Former Employee) –  Inverness, FL 34450December 16, 2018
I enjoyed working with the people. This is a State Agency so the rules are set by the State. I worked in the Electronic Court Reporting Department. The job requires attention to detail and the ability to concentrate for long periods of time.