State of Georgia Employee Reviews

15 year veteran of the state
Behavioral Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 31, 2019
This employer has been plagued with poor management, and a lack of accountability at administrative levels. The employer has a history of illegal and unethical practices with regards to the individuals they serve (see Department of Justice lawsuit, 2007 - 2009). This employer also has a reputation for racially biased employment practices, along with cronyism, and personal favoritism, that virtually ignores job qualifications to actually do the job for which many prospective employees apply. This employer has a history of covering up its mistakes, and threatening the jobs of those employees who come forward to report (see Atlanta Journal Constitution reports, circa 2006 - 2009).

I worked for Corrections first, then transferred to the hospital system in 2005. At times, the job was good, with good mangers and and a work culture of helping others. This changed over the years, became better after the DOJ lawsuit, then took a turn for the worse in the years that followed. I hoped things would improve, and my passion for helping my community is why I stayed so long. However, even that passion was no longer enough. I was not afraid to stand up and speak out for what was right by our patients and employees; but my standing up was not only ignored, but punished.

I recommend to any prospective employee to look elsewhere. Do not work for this employer, unless you have a clear and actionable plan to get the heck out of there when you need to!
Pros
nice looking campus
Cons
everything else
Worst place!
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Garden City, GAJanuary 27, 2019
This is the absolute worst place to work!!!! It’s so cut throat and disgusting!!!! Inmates aren’t a problem, it’s the STAFF!!!!

This place is he ll on earth!
Pros
Work 15 days a month
Cons
Everything else
flexible schedule allowed
Program director,Adult Mental Health (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 18, 2018
Satisfying position
Need to be closer to NC/CLT
State funding for salary increases are very limited, much depending on State budget.
Hospital system very good environment to work in
Good job mentoring program and training
Auditing, Accounting, and Sales (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2018
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
•Reviewing filed tax returns to determine whether credits and deductions claimed are allowed by law
•Contacting taxpayers to address problems and to request supporting documentation
•Conducting investigations of income tax returns to verify information or to update tax liabilities
•Evaluate financial information, using their familiarity with accounting procedures and knowledge of changes to tax laws and regulations
•Keep records on each case they deal with, including contacts, telephone numbers, and actions taken
•Notify taxpayers of any overpayment or underpayment and either issue a refund or request additional payment
stable employment
Rehabilitation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAOctober 27, 2018
This is a place that has job stability. It can be very stressful yet it can also be very rewarding. When you realize that you added something to someone's life, it is a good feeling.
Terrible, terrible, terrible
Admin Support (Current Employee) –  CARROLLTON, GAOctober 11, 2018
The most unorganized job I’ve ever worked. Absolutely no sense of accountability amongst employees. Employees can call in sick without consequences. No advancement opportunities.
Pros
Holidays and weekends off
Cons
No accountability, no opportunities for advancement
Most State jobs are beneficial
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, GASeptember 20, 2018
I generally work with the public and other entities. I have not been able to advance as quickly as I had expected due to my experience and skills. I believe there is a lot of work being done and not adequate compensation.

There are bright sides to the job if you enjoy a challenge and competition.
Good place to start your career
Computer System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GAAugust 28, 2018
I had a great manager. Travel lot locally for my job. Learned how to manage cisco routers and firewall. Some time not enough time in the day to finish your work. Meet some great people
Pros
Learned new skills. Great manager
Cons
Not enough employees
State Organization
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Conyers, GAJuly 21, 2018
The agency is limited in resources due to being funded by the state government. Work environment is desirable. Leadership is progressive. Overall a great place to work.
Great people to work with
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Canton, GAJuly 8, 2018
Great people to work with. Salary is very low and there is little to no chance for advancement. The systems are not hard to learn and the work/life balance is adequate; however there is no upward mobility
Tax Review
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 23, 2018
Made sure that Business/Organizations filed there yearly tax completely/properly and accurate. Workplace was always fast pace great people to work with.
Pros
Learning more about Business/Organizations Tax's
Cons
N/a
Fun and Productive Place to work
Sr. Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 12, 2018
Typical Day Work :Rather than going hour by hour through every day, focus on a few main tasks, and describe how you go through those tasks in a typical week

What you learned: Learned Advanced technologies, Ajax, WebServices, Deloitte Custom framework etc

Management :Strict, Daily we have to work daily 8 hrs a week

Workplace culture:Good place to work, fun and productive

Hardest part of the Job: Working 5 days coming to the office no work from home option.
Imagine a government job...
Leasing Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 6, 2018
All people do is just enough not to get fired. Upon working for the government, there are way too many management redundancies. As such, tax rates and personnel should be cut at least in half due to the lack of any streamlining initiatives and low productivity of employees.
Pros
Better work/life balance
Cons
Lack of incentive to produce, redundancies not only in management, but in all areas.
challenging and competitive environment
Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJanuary 31, 2018
Dealing with Customers on day to day basis for their drivers license needs. Managing employees and their problems. One important thing i learned at GA Department of Drivers Services, even though it was a customer service oriented environment but in that environment, customers were not always right.
The state of GA is where civil servant provide production and service with a smile.
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJanuary 5, 2018
A typical day is busy, filled with a number of customers & providers both internal/external expecting the very best the state has to offer. Executive and senior management offer support's of staff members in performing their individual job duties and responsibilities. The culture is generally relaxed. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is multi-tasking, prioritizing various to meet deadlines.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Returning to work after taking time off
Typical day at work -- always learning
Customer Service Contact Center (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 23, 2017
Opportunity to learn about taxes and see what the person on the other side of the phone knowledge base and capabilities really are that are providing us customer service. Evening when you are providing the right information the customer do not want to hear it, however you have to maintain your bearings at all time. The only thing about the job is that you only can go to the bathroom if one of the calls gets under your skin. There is no real time to regroup it's someone always watching over your back (supervisor). You're not allowed to talk while you are on line.
It was a relaxed environment
Family Independence Case Manager I (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 25, 2017
The job I had was stressful sometimes because caseloads were too heavy. They had a lot of people getting paid as caseworkers but were not actually working as caseworkers.
Benefits
Cons
Heavy caseloads 2609
Pay sucks
DOL Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Statewide, GAOctober 23, 2017
The Georgia Dept of Labor asks for college degrees but pays most of the employees less than $30,000 a year. Most range between $22,000 and $27,000. Fast food workers earn more.
Pros
Vacation and Sick Days
Cons
low pay, outdated software and no advancement
Good environment place to work
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 27, 2017
I rather keep most of my comments private.
The State of GA has been overall a good place to work or as a career as the type of work has changed over the years. More open training could be helpful.
Pros
Hours flexibilty
Cons
Lack of advancement
Production Type atomsphere
Customer Service Agent II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 30, 2017
Enjoyed working with this company I also enjoyed the friends that I met It was a great place to work I wish I had stayed and not resigned The supervisors and managers where a great group of people.
Pros
Learn about mortages and loans
Cons
no cons