State of Idaho Employee Reviews

Fun and challenging place to work
Multistate Auditor (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 5, 2019
My schedule to very flexible which I did not have before. The people I work with are great and my work is challenging and rewarding. We are broken into teams. My team does team building lunches which are fun. I enjoy the mix of personalities. The atmosphere is laid back but at the same time we make sure we meet all deadlines.
Pros
Challenging, fun, flexible schedule
Cons
Pay could use some improvment
Director (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 26, 2019
Great people to work with. Great programs that help people. Salaries need continuous increases, but the benefits were pretty good as far as insurance goes.
Great Place to work
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  HaydenMarch 2, 2019
Awesome benefits, awesome people, tough job. Wish they wouldn't have cut the funding. We outperformed evaluations compared to any other facility. Definitely a bit confusing.
Fast-paced environment with need for accuracy
Self-Reliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDMarch 1, 2019
Conducted telephone interviews and reviewed renewal information and eligibility for those receiving government assistance. Followed State and Federal guidelines.
Good work/life balance but poor pay
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 25, 2019
Good work/life balance but poor pay. The state’s highest IT people don’t have a clue, but unfortunately they don’t realize they don’t have a clue. Those of us that work in the agencies have had a fair amount of autonomy, but no longer.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Poor pay
Poor staffing
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDFebruary 22, 2019
High turnover rate with poor staffing and training. Management just looked at you as a number and did not care for you personally. Often left and unsafe environment due to lack of staffing. Staff were constantly on injured list due to unsafe environment and poor training.
great
TEMP DEPT OF AGRICULTURE EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  boise, idJanuary 3, 2019
for someone who loves to be outside and working towards a greater goal this is a great job. loved being able to be active and know exactly what was expected while getting to know the biology background portion of the job.
Pros
awesome hours
Cons
Fun, easy going and rewarding job!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, IDDecember 9, 2018
Very rewarding, fun, relaxed, job to work at. The clients make it worth the low wages. It could definitely be a better wage, but for part-time extra income, it works well.
Very Secure
Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 3, 2018
Working for the sate of Idaho is very secure once you are off probation. It works at a manageable pace and isn't too stressful. I would highly recommend.
What a joke
Transportation Technician (Former Employee) –  IdahoOctober 23, 2018
The scope of the job expanded beyond what anyone could reasonably accomplish. The Leadership in Boise was misguided and out of touch. The culture between the districts and HQ was terrible.
Pros
comp time
Cons
everything else
Challenging but rewarding environment.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Pocatello, IDSeptember 17, 2018
I worked with individuals who were receiving unemployment benefits, SNAP, or TANF benefits. We assisted them with identifying life goals and implementing plans to achieve those goals. Coaching included resume building, interview skills, dressing for work, handling difficult situations at work, etc. We also assisted them with obtaining things they needed to get to that next step, including gas money, bus tickets, job training, tools, and clothing.
Pros
Helping others succeed
Cons
Emotionally stressful
Very stressful environment with little or no support from management
Sr. Probation/Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 26, 2018
In Community corrections there is little room for advancement, raises, if approved by congress are given on standards that are not equal across employees at the same pay grade. Management makes no effort to alleviate stress levels by offering any assurances, expectations are high and not achievable.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management practices, no advancement, stress filled environment
(JFAC) Chairman Secretary (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 27, 2018
1) Typical work day was from 8-5 pm
2) Learned more about state politics
3) My boss was very supportive
4) Co-workers were very helpful and professional
Negative work environment among felons
Psychiatric Technician (Current Employee) –  Boise, IdahoJune 23, 2018
The State of Idaho is only just now realizing it has to offer incentives to keep or attract employees. So it has just recently increased its starting wage, but nothing else has really changed. It is largely a 'good ol' boy's' club. Promotions happen often based on popularity. Power struggles with staff and with inmates is common. The staff are treated like the felons regarding requesting time off (and overtime is mandatory) and often questioned about motives. It is fair to recognize it is a prison, and as such can only reach a level of cheery environment. It's not going to be a great place, but to make a difference an individual needs autonomy to influence their environment. And control issues begin at the top and roll downhill. If you are a rule-follower, and enjoy working in an environment that allows you power over individuals, then this might be the job for you. Or it might not be
fun times
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  around lewiston idahoJune 18, 2018
This is great place to go if you want to be a correctional officer. you file your application and then they send you to school in Boise Idaho. the schooling is very good. they teach you a lot and you'll end up using that training in life and in your job placement. watch what you say and don't get into any fights with your superior officers.
Pros
great training
Cons
they look at your past files and not the person/officer in trainning thats standing in front of them
Wasteful and politically motivated
Health Facilities Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 17, 2018
I worked for the State of Idaho Department of Health and Welfare for almost 6 years. The mission and values were posted on the walls, but the practices of the department were inconsistent with those statements. The focus of the daily operations deviated from the mission and values, to the point where vulnerable individuals receiving publicly funded services were being placed in harm's way. The pay for the state is not competitive with private industry. The biggest benefit to working for the state is the benefit package, but you will have to compromise your principles to stick with the organization long enough to take advantage of that benefit.
benefits
Cons
Bureaucratic entity with many in-office politics
Great Co-Workers
Workforce Consultant/Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDJune 14, 2018
The job offered a lot of diversity in what would happen each day and I enjoyed that. I was able to help people become employed and that was rewarding
Great Co-Workers and Management
Self-Reliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDJune 14, 2018
I enjoyed my co-workers and management, the work was stressful but, that was just the pace and type of work it was, not more than was expected necessarily. Frequent changes made the work challenging to the point of stressful though
General work
Automation QA Lead/Scrum Lead (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 19, 2018
Its OK to work there on contract for short term. However management is short sighted. They don't have ability to recognize who does good work and who doesn't.
like the people I worked with
Probation & Parole Officer (Current Employee) –  Pocatello, IDApril 30, 2018
I like most of the people I work with and I like the fact I am helping people. I am good at that part. I do not like the fact I am always on call, pay is low for the job and it is very stressful and overworked.
Pros
helping other poeple
Cons
way overworked. Not enough PO's