State of Illinois Employee Reviews

A huge adult Kinder
HUMAN SERVICE CASEWORKER (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILDecember 7, 2018
Very unfair treatment, very micromanaging principle. It is like working in a huge adult daycare where management are the toddlers. No room for growth unless you have seniority which sucks and that is why the place is so poorly ran.
Benefits
No Opinion
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 5, 2018
I don't have an opinion for the State of Illinois at this time. I worked for them as an employee for my Fiance that passed. They only paid for 8 hours of work a day when the job was a 24/7 job. No paid holidays, or overtime.
fun people to work with
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 5, 2018
lost of variety in jobs , good benefits, good wages, grate learning experiences available, good place to grow, lost of learning potential to be had with any field.
fun place to work - lots of challenges
Division Manager / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 23, 2018
fun place to work, the work was challenging and required additional overtime at times, many professional people who were dedicated to their job with a strong work ethic.
Pros
the staff and co-workers
Cons
political environment, union issues
The certification was required to work in the State of Illinois
Registered Interior Designer, License # (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2018
The certificate was helpful in securing employment. The state certificate is not a employer but opened many opportunities because it showed possible employer my understanding of the industry and my commitment to the profession.
Enjoyed working with him
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 15, 2018
Good job Was able to be my own boss manages finances, Dr appts and shopping trips and social life.maintained living conditions and paying of bills
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Fast paced environment and relaxed on some days
Legislative Aide (Current Employee) –  Streator, ILNovember 13, 2018
Provide constituent service while balancing clerical duties, and answering the phones. Requires organization and strong problem solving skills. I learned how to better communicate and how to aide the public in constituent service work. I also learned a lot about state politics on the job.
Busy work environment, laid back office environment
Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IL 62706November 9, 2018
I worked for the state of Illinois for 17 years and was able to advance many times, till reaching supervisor roll. The pay, benefits, deferred comp and paid days off were amazing. I definitely would work for another state agency again.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, paid time off.
Cons
Sometimes stressful work load, could be crazy busy at times too
Stressful at times, assistance is everywhere
Office Associate II (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILNovember 2, 2018
Management varies, but help is always available. There is much diversity, lunch and two breaks. Benefits are amazing. The customers are the best part.
Pros
Always help when needed
Cons
No overtime pay if you stayed late unless approved ahead.
busy workplace with good health benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 2, 2018
Great health insurance options, good benefits package and liberal time off, opportunities to advance and participate in leadership decisions, good work life balance
It is a good place to work
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2018
It is a very good job to have it comes with his challenges but you have to be strong-willed and determined to continue the Journey of life but it's very rewarding at the end of the day.
Potential to learn & grow and succeed if motivated.
CIO (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 26, 2018
If you are not motivated, you will not succeed in State Government professionally. Union environment prohibits to bring rapid changes. majority of the staff is not motivated.
Pros
Less accountable
Cons
low salary; high bureaucratic
Too Protected
Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Anna, IL 62906October 24, 2018
It may sound silly, but I believe unions protect employees too much. It allows them to lack motivation and fulfill the duties of their job. A lot of sitting around and no challenging tasks.
Pros
Great Salary (Illinois ranks highest in state salaries)
Cons
No Challenging work environment
time consuming
Kitchen Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Logan, ILOctober 24, 2018
This job relied on me to bake over 40 cakes and brownies to complete the meals for over 1000 people on a daily basis. The work is constant and messy but fun to do and you learn a lot also.
State of Illinois Job
Revenue Auditor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2018
The training is inadequate in Springfield Illinois for you to apply the knowledge to the real life field audit that you are assigned to. You are really left alone with your mentor to figure things out and sometimes if you have a good mentor, things could work out for you. The hardest part of the job is that the State does not consider where you live when assigning the audits. The audit can be on average 40 miles or even 100 plus miles away where you live where you are left to struggle to commute to these places. If you have a manager who doesn't care with your struggle then your life gets even harder.
Pros
You do get a lot of resources and information to learn about
Cons
Don't give a consideration about where you live when assigning the audits
Enjoyable job.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2018
This job is security for me. What I do here at the state of illinois, I enjoy. This job has no room for advancement, no health insurance, and I have minimal hours.
supervise inmates
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Kewanee, ILOctober 2, 2018
I supervised inmates on a daily basis.I would have to respond to any fights that happened, I would stay with the inmates all shift. Once in a while I would take inmates to court.
benefits
Cons
risk of getting hurt
Excellent working conditions
Live-in caregiver (Current Employee) –  Aviston, ILSeptember 25, 2018
I work for a quadriplegic gentleman as a personal care assistant. I bathe, dress, and groom him. I cook, clean, do laundry and run errands for him. He a is such kind and compassionate man, and an inspiration. He has become one of my best friends.
Pros
Live-in care giver
Cons
No cons
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 19, 2018
Worked a 8.5 hour day off every Friday. Graded application and evaluating applicants qualifications for position applied. Spent time corresponding with applicants who were deemed not qualified...explaining the qualification and experience that they were lacking. Worked with all agencies helping them get qualified applicants.
highway maintenance and repair. A GREAT CAREER!!!
Highway Maintainer (Snowbird) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2018
Maintenance, cleaning and repairs of Illinois roadways. Snow removal and bridge and overpass maintenance. A lot of great coworkers and machinery to work with.
Pros
Driving the trucks, snow removal and working on the expressways
Cons
no offers for full time