State of Illinois Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Buildings Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Winnebago/ Boone CountyJanuary 17, 2018
The State of Illinois managment is very counter productive. As a Building Maintenance Electricians i would turn in purchase request for supplies or parts . To fix building issues and someone else would decide if it was important enough to approve the request .
Pros
Cons
Poor decision making
Micro managers, advancement not merit based at all. Nothing but politics.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 15, 2018
Horrid bosses, many of whom weren't qualified. CMS is a joke throughout the state--shouldve been done away with years ago. Education doesn't seem to matter vs. tenure and who you know. Highly unprofessional conduct is tolerated throughout. Much of it is by supervisors or tolerated by them. Micromanaging by intolerable bosses makes the job unnecessarily stressful and difficult -- not to mention lack of needed supplies and technology. Broken system in a broken state.
Pros
A few decent co-workers but they don't stay long
Cons
Incompetent unprofessional bosses, no merit-based advancement
Competitive
Office Coordinator II Spanish Speaking (Current Employee) –  Waukegan, ILJanuary 12, 2018
Room for advancement. I enjoy working here. There placement workshops that help you advance. There is a lot to learn in my current position and I that will help me prepare to advance to my desirable future position of a child support case worker in the near future.
Productive and fun place to work. Always learning different things.
Apartment make ready technician (Current Employee) –  Addison, ILJanuary 11, 2018
My manager is nice and my coworkers are nice also. I like the work I do and I learn alot. I can work at my own pace and I feel that I get alot done. If I need help with anything someone is always there to help.
A day in the life of a Personal Assistant
Personal (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2018
A day in the life of a Personal Assistant can be hectic but rewarding. A typical day can include helping the client to get ready for their outings, whether they have a personal appointment, need to go the bank, go shopping or just want to get out. Often times their is work to be done in the home as well. Cleaning, washing of clothes, our clients are wonderful and send us as much love as we send them. I love being a personal assistant and making sure that my clients whom are often older are well taken care of and not forgotten.
Pros
Feeling loved by the ones you take care of
Cons
long hours extended hours
Poor management / low morale / benefits threatened
OFFICE COORDINATOR II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2018
Poor management, ineffective union reps. Employee morale us low. Benefits and compensation threatened.

lshkfbknldglbdgb vgnlnncvndknjgs
dslfhsdfklnbvlfnb.,b/zzdg
sdfkhsdkljgfhzl;vgfbhsdV
dlsfshkl;zbf,xcfnlzdfkjbhvgsdfvgs
sdfivhsdlbkZSKBn dlkb ndx bklxbnilfgopf
Good
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 31, 2017
I enjoyed working at the State of Illinois. I met some really great people who I remain friends with. I liked my job, I just wanted to pursue something more exciting.
Backstabbing
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dept of correctionsDecember 28, 2017
Nothing but back stabbing, rumor mill. Write ups for just looking wrong. Boss pits staff against eachother and shift against each other. Rumors about everyone and everything. Micromanagers always looking to write people up
IDES Accounting is the worst place I’ve ever worked.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 23, 2017
The pay is not fair. The management team has no knowledge. Worst job I’ve ever had. A lot of people (70s and 80s) don’t want to retire. The working environment in accounting division is really bad. Go to work for the other agencies but IDES.
Pros
A lot free time
state employment
Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 9, 2017
Great job for job security. I learned the provider side of Illinois Medicaid and the process for a provider to participate. Enjoy helping others get medicaid services.
Pros
State employment
Cons
The state government in shambles
security
Correctional Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Sheridan, ILDecember 8, 2017
Good pay, lousy working conditions, bad management. Very political, have to do what the political hacks want you to do even if its wrong. Bad for family life as you get stuck working overtime alot or cant get days off you need for family events.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
very political
Room for improvement
Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2017
Not a bad place to work, but stuck in the cycle of outdated practices and culture. The union is good, and bad. It is restrictive of change even when it goes against industry norms.
Home Healthcare Provider
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 27, 2017
Assisted Patient with Daily functions.
Physical Therapy, how to check blood pressure/sugar levels.
Management was flexible.
Healthcare environment.
Heavy Lifting, emotionally challenging
Ensuring improved quality of life for the terminally ill.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Emotionall challenging
State Nurse
LPN (Current Employee) –  Shapiro CenterNovember 27, 2017
Working for the state of Illinois definitely has it perks now we do nit have a contract so raised have been frize i love the people i i take care of room for advancement learning opportunity
Pros
Mutiple u
I love it
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 21, 2017
I love it an would do it again if I had the chance to improve an make it right an become a better caregiver an stick to my job like I’m supposed to do so
Pros
Wasn’t long day
Cons
Got paid everyday an every two weeks
Working for Illinois
Mental Health Technician II (Current Employee) –  ILNovember 19, 2017
Always remember to report abusive and inappropriate behavior IMMEDIATELY! Never turn your back on a patient who is having a very bad behavior! Stay alert at all times. Keep in my what patients like and don't like to not further disturb their mood.
Pros
Great benefits and paid time off
Cons
Short lunch breaks, stressful environment sometimes when dealing with people who have mental illness
Self- Giving
Mental Health Technician I (Former Employee) –  State of ILNovember 8, 2017
Working at the state of Illinois was some what stressful. They have very strict rules because you are caring for other human beings with developmental impairments.
Cons
mandates
Enoyed Helping Others
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 7, 2017
I enjoyed working for the State of ILLINOIS. I worked with Children and others who were Handicapped as their personal Caregiver! I loved every part of my job
Pros
Enjoys helping others
Cons
N/a
Caregiver
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILNovember 2, 2017
Depends on the person you take care of. You work with sick people with disabilities. It is not well paid for the work you do. $13 per hour, but has insurance.
This position was the one I retired from.
Correctional Leisure Activity Specialist II (Former Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 1, 2017
Getting the inmates to and from the gym. I learn how to arrange Music. Management let me implement my program to involve the in different activities that help them to reenter society with very little difficulty. When I had to write them a ticket and state what the punishment should be. The most enjoyable part was hear about how well they adjusted.