State of Illinois
Happiness rating is 62 out of 100

State of Illinois Employee Reviews

United States573 reviews

stategovernorpoliticaluniondisabledclientbenefitcase

Dedicated, educated staff who love life, food and children of all ages.

The biggest and best industry in the area. The teachers are hard-working and conscientious. The administrators seem to do their best with the resources they have.

It's okay

Fast-paced clerical job within a busy State agency which requires you to wear many hats. The pay could be better for the volume of work that is done, but overall it provides stability, benefits and decent PTO. Sometimes requests for vacation can be denied depending on seniority and operational needs. You are able to apply for growth opportunities within the agency, depending on your education, experience, and/or participation in Upward Mobility programs. The State changes systems at times as things become outdated, so you do have to remain adaptable and teachable. Some of the staff is overworked because the State fails to fill vacant positions.

Pros

Upward Mobility Programs

State of Illinois insights

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Poor management, upward mobility and work life balance

Promotions are based on tenure, not job knowledge. no job training to enhance your skill set. no hybrid, flex, or work from home options. No team work.

Teamwork

Great place to make a difference to those individuals in custody who need help. Personally clashes at times, great teamwork and working with different individuals and learning their expert skills

Pros

Making a difference

Cons

Female personality clashing

Overall just OK

My employment with the state spanned 7 years, 4 without a contract. While raises and benefits were good, work culture, environment, work load, and communications were poor. At one point had to supply my own toilet paper because the custodial contract did not sufficiently budget for it. Often too many leaders and not enough workers, so work load burden was high and always expected to pick up additional work, especially when someone left. Do not fill open positions for months to a year after the vacancy.

Ok Place

Poor management, new policy everyday, force you to review hundreds of pages to find 1 policy. Not a good place to work. If I could work somewhere else I would.

my office is a great place to work

my particular office is a great place to work, the current management is great. Not sure about other offices around the state, but mine is a good place to work.

Great Place to Work

Great place to work with great pay and benefits. Pension as well! Great healthcare benefits with required raises each year. Great promotional opportunities.

I learned a new trade.

While working there I learned some new quilitys. I enjoyed working with others as a team. At times I was left to finish the jobs by myself. I take pride in getting my work done in time.

Great benefits. Hostile environment/ not worth it

Personally I was excited to work for SOS Secretary of State when first hired. However as the years went on I noticed how much of a hostile/lazy/incompetent type of work environment it was. It honestly could be on the locations you are assigned to. However, the personnel dept. primarily those who handled time off or sick days are completely unqualified to hold their position. Every location has good management or terrible no in between. Their is no accountability as well. Only very few supervisors know what they are doing and even fewer managers. As stated good benefits, but how much do you care about your mental health? It will be tested.

Department of Human Services

When you’re hired, they act like it’ll be easy to apply for other positions/promotions after you’re a certified employee… NOT. I’m stuck, and have started applying for jobs outside of the state.

Pros

Set schedule, weekends off, work from home

Cons

Zero flexibility and growth opportunities

Great for quickly advancing in the organization

The State of Illinois is a great organization to work for that provide exceptional benefits to it's employees and one can truly advance in the organization to move up in promotional positions after being certified within a 4-6 month timeframe. It's promising and the system or structure of the organization can work for you if you work it and participate in the process. I started out as a Office Associate, then an Office Administrator III, a Storekeeper I, and presently as an Administrative Assistant I in a 2 year-window span and working up to a Public Service Administrator or an Executive II position. It's really cool to advance this quick in a leadership role. I enjoy it. I love it! Strong, strong potential for the average person coming in the door as a head start in the position of an Office Assistant/Associate. I'm a living witness of working the process! Thank you.

This is a great place for longevity. If you want something stable for the next 30 or so years this is the place to be. Many coworkers have been here for a substantial amount of time.

Job security

Job security is premium. I enjoy the work and my peers. Supervisors need more training on dealing with employees. Shouldn't be in position based on product knowledge.

Micro Management

Being micromanaged every minute of the day. Being belittled and told how horrible you are constantly. Never any positive reinforcement. Pushing for more cases completed yet new policy every other day. Absolutely the worst place I have ever worked.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Horrible Management

Corporate feel

Not a fan working there. Understaffed, poor management, less than fair compensation compared to surrounding community and peers, will listen but unwilling to implement any real change

Good: Benefits, Room for education and promotions.Bad: Lacks cultural sensitivity and too much Nepotism.

I spent 20+ years and retired with a decent pension and excellent Health Benefits. I worked in five different areas and being an honorable Discharged Veteran was a plus.

Great benefits

State of illinois has great benefits and retirement. All legal holidays off. 12 paid sick days three personal. Sick bank. Plenty of opportunity for advancement

It will eat at you.

The benefits and pay are great, but you will be burned out in 5 years. Tier two is a joke, and you will have to work in a prison well into your 60's. It is a depressing thought, especially when you are constantly around bad people and never do anything of benefit to society.

Pros

pay and benefits

Cons

management and staff

Decent job not enough pay

Pay do not equal the amount of work given . Over worked. Forced to take on other people job because so understaffed . Hire anyone with degrees but it is a stable pay check.

State of Illinois

Great benefits, hours and perksWould love additional opportunities for growthBeautiful buildingsBosses are kind and listen wellRaises are often and bonuses are large

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Illinois. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight