State of Illinois Employee Reviews

Love the client not the Employer
Direct care provider / personal assistant (Current Employee) –  Freeport, ILFebruary 2, 2019
Always a delay in compensation. While it is great to work within our union we never received raise that was promised to us back in August of 2017 that the judge ordered our governor to pay.
Job description
Rehabilitation Case Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 28, 2019
Performed duties as assigned within the program. Days of work varied according to the duties necessary to be completed for the day. Upper echelon of management did not realize how important staff are to the job that is being done on a daily basis.
Pros
Benefits, challenging
Cons
State officers do not recognize the importance of the staff working for them.
Great work place.
Desk Clerk - (Summer Worker) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2019
I had the chance to work here for a summer job. It was a great environment to work in. I was able to assist the public with getting id,drivers license, and license plates.
Pros
All aroung great.
Cons
N/a
It was stressful and at the same time boring.
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 6, 2019
The job itself was pretty easy to maintain the welfare of offenders as well as fellow CEOs. Working 2nd and 3rd shift it just got to the point where I did not see my family or get attend any events that my kids participated in. The job itself had excellent benefits good retirement definitely job security. And the pay itself was outstanding.
I was hoping it would go further for me
Legislative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILJanuary 16, 2019
Enjoyed my job. I enjoy helping people and this was a great place to do just that. It was not stressful, I had the opportunity of talking to many other professionals within the state work place.
Pros
It was a great place to work and I enjoyed helping constituents
Cons
It was part time
The certification was required to work in the State of Illinois
Registered Interior Designer, License # (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2018
The certificate was helpful in securing employment. The state certificate is not a employer but opened many opportunities because it showed possible employer my understanding of the industry and my commitment to the profession.
The job I held was a good job with many adventures and
Broadcasting Engineer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 8, 2019
The job I held was a good job with many adventures and challenges. The co-workers that I worked with did work well together. We work as a team on many productions shoot at the various places across the state of Illinois. Someday wore busy and some were slow. The slow day would let me caught up on other jobs and assignments such as logging information and documenting data into the Access database and excel program. The data would be used to generate reports for upper management monthly.
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2019
Great clients, pay and friendly staff. Great for people who loves working with elderly and disabled clients. You get to cook your meals, spend time and listen to stories from their past.
Pros
Working with your own family
Cons
Working with your own family
n/a
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2019
Very well understand what goal need to be completed every day of the week. Able to package heavy item ,operating machine in two week up learning .Greeting customer
fun place to work - lots of challenges
Division Manager / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 23, 2018
fun place to work, the work was challenging and required additional overtime at times, many professional people who were dedicated to their job with a strong work ethic.
Pros
the staff and co-workers
Cons
political environment, union issues
Gorilla Management
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 7, 2019
The Agency I previously worked at rewarded lazy and unproductive employees. Management only liked you if you kissed up to them. Upper management condoned the behavior of local managers by passing the blame and never addressing the issues. Good employees suffered, but still gave every effort to fulfill their obligation of service to the public. Everything got swept under the rug. I was forced out of my job which I loved and had to transfer to another State agency in order to salvage and not throw away 20 years with the State. Unfortunately, I am in my last decade and may not last much longer to see a retirement check from the State of Illinois. The Agency where I currently work has unclean, unsafe working conditions and as is the case with the State, they expect you to deal with it or quit! I am an AAA+ employee who has given my all with no more to sacrifice. If I could land a position in a clean and safe work environment with genuinely good staff, I would have a higher opinion of the State. So far that hasn't happened. Still hoping and praying, however.
Pros
Job is close to home
Cons
Dirty/unhealthy work environment. Gorilla-like manager with less than poor work ethics
Busy work environment, laid back office environment
Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IL 62706November 9, 2018
I worked for the state of Illinois for 17 years and was able to advance many times, till reaching supervisor roll. The pay, benefits, deferred comp and paid days off were amazing. I definitely would work for another state agency again.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, paid time off.
Cons
Sometimes stressful work load, could be crazy busy at times too
A huge adult Kinder
HUMAN SERVICE CASEWORKER (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILDecember 7, 2018
Very unfair treatment, very micromanaging principle. It is like working in a huge adult daycare where management are the toddlers. No room for growth unless you have seniority which sucks and that is why the place is so poorly ran.
Benefits
work life
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILFebruary 17, 2019
Patients are mostly nice, the office staff are very helpful. The lack of benefits takes a toll on employees as it creates a burden on the employees who have less.
Good job
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2018
I like what I do. This is all I have to say about the job. Great hard working people. Wonderful environment. Always busy. I like what I do. It is important to the State.
fun people to work with
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 5, 2018
lost of variety in jobs , good benefits, good wages, grate learning experiences available, good place to grow, lost of learning potential to be had with any field.
No Opinion
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILDecember 5, 2018
I don't have an opinion for the State of Illinois at this time. I worked for them as an employee for my Fiance that passed. They only paid for 8 hours of work a day when the job was a 24/7 job. No paid holidays, or overtime.
Enjoyed working with him
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILNovember 15, 2018
Good job Was able to be my own boss manages finances, Dr appts and shopping trips and social life.maintained living conditions and paying of bills
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Fast paced environment and relaxed on some days
Legislative Aide (Current Employee) –  Streator, ILNovember 13, 2018
Provide constituent service while balancing clerical duties, and answering the phones. Requires organization and strong problem solving skills. I learned how to better communicate and how to aide the public in constituent service work. I also learned a lot about state politics on the job.
Stressful at times, assistance is everywhere
Office Associate II (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILNovember 2, 2018
Management varies, but help is always available. There is much diversity, lunch and two breaks. Benefits are amazing. The customers are the best part.
Pros
Always help when needed
Cons
No overtime pay if you stayed late unless approved ahead.