State of Indiana Employee Reviews

Work/Life Balance was excellent
Ombudsman/Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 27, 2018
Every day brought something a little different. The nature of my job demands that I interact with the general public. The fact that it was a job created by statute, and working in a legal environment, means that there are many opinions and interpretations about the law itself, and the best way to manage/function within that framework.

The workplace culture is very "laid-back". I rarely wore a suit, and when I did, it was only for speaking engagements or when I needed to attend courtroom proceedings. The work-life balance is by far the best. I enjoyed a very flexible schedule for a number of years.

The hardest part of the job was balancing competing interests, and opinions from upper management, as well as those of the practicing attorneys, physicians and their staffs, nurse case managers, insurance adjusters, employers, and well as upset claimants.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
No room for growth at the agency i was in
Life Ain't Fair and Politics Sucks!
Rehabilitation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 5, 2018
The most enjoyable and rewarding part of the job was working with and helping patients and residents. The most stressful part of the job was the incompetence of management and the political motivations and aspirations of administrators. The workplace culture generally was collaborative, except for the systemic intricacies and political issues associated with the job, as I have noted. What I have learned from this experience is that you really don't learn everything in college.
Pros
Working with patients and other disciplines
Cons
Never a Boring Day!
Good job
Clerical Assistant 3 (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46204October 5, 2018
The benefits and days off for the job were good. The workplace was stressful at times and management was not always fair to their employees. Advancement was not easy because most managers didn't want to help you move up. The managers also did alot of unnecessary write ups.
Pros
Benefits and time off
Cons
Supervisors and Managers were not the best.
Productive, recognition and fun environment to work
Senior-Business Systems Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 6, 2018
Moral is up, offer more learning tools for employees to expand their knowledge and to succeed. The work place culture is a fun environment to work and give a little flexibility. Appreciation and recognition of the work that is provided by the employees has raised the morale as well.
Not a very understanding place to work. Control in management is a major problem
Recovery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 1, 2018
I loved working at the state, but the management are control obsessive. There is no job security there, and if you have any type of issues where you need rehab for mental or substance abuse they are not understanding about this at all. They don't understand that life happens with people.
Pros
coworkers are great
Cons
too many to list
Productive and very socialable fun working environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 12, 2018
Working at my place of employment is very peaceful, and the people truly work together to make sure that each and every person get ahead. We work as a team so what I've learned is how to be a productive leader.Management is good here. Fun and very energetic.The hardest part of my job is not being able to do as much as I want. The most enjoyable part of my joy has to be helping others
Pros
Open-mindedness and learning more able what we do
State
State Eligibility Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 1, 2018
work day 8 to 4:30
Learned to assist others in need
management is supportive
The culture of the office is really good
Staffing can sometimes cause a stressful day
Poor work culture and do not recommend employment
Family Case Manager II (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INAugust 10, 2018
Too long to provide an accurate description. Organizational changes, middle management lack of support and skill set, and work volume make this specific job extremely difficult to pursue a career.
Pros
Stable employment.
Cons
Poor promotional opportunities.
Great people, great place to work.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Versailles, INNovember 15, 2018
There was a lot of down-time between selling fishing licenses and counting cash. I learned a lot about Versailles State Park and some about Indiana laws. Management here is fantastic. The workplace is pretty low pressure, always friendly, and very patient. The hardest part of the job was having to constantly ask questions. I felt like there should have been a manual of some kind. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Pros
People and learning.
Cons
low pay, few guidelines
Unfair supervisor
Secretary IV (Current Employee) –  Michigan City, INSeptember 7, 2018
Very stressful, unfair and no room for advancement. Always dread going to work. You work hard with no rewards or advancement. The work is not bad or hard. It's a particular supervisor that needs to retire.
Good active place of work
Program specialist 5 (Former Employee) –  Kokomo,inAugust 9, 2018
Low pay for work you do no room for advancement and lack of raises for your work opportunity to move up is very limited which is sad opportunity to learn new things is always available
Pros
Insurance paid days off
Just a job
Gaming Law Enforcement Agent (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJuly 26, 2018
Working for State was good and fun. Poor pay and benefits have gotten worse. Low moral but great team players. Managers are moody and politics come into play.
Pros
Job
Cons
Stress
Change in management make it difficult to grow
Quality Assurance and Part C Data Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 29, 2018
With constant change in management the position is difficult to navigate. Each manager has different style as would be expected but none have been a great fit for the program that is already in place. understanding the procedures for state government can be mind boggling.
Job security.
Family Case Manager II (Current Employee) –  State of indianaOctober 29, 2018
Overall good experience.

Insurance and benefits offered after permanent status is approved.

Office and out of the office job.

My supervisor is amazing!!!!
Pros
Flexibility with schedule. Good experience. Fast paced. No days are the same in my field.
Cons
Lots of driving at times...mileage doesnt xover ware and tear. On call- no standby pay.
Not conducive for advancement and growth
Indiana (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 4, 2018
As long as you come in and do your work and don't question the process things are OK.

Good job for starting career

Look for advancements after 5 years as job can become monotonous

Most of the good people have been driven away
Pros
It's a job
Cons
No consideration for advancement
Great job for those beginning their career.
State Eligibility Consultant (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, IndianaMarch 8, 2018
This is a great entry level job. There are chances for advancement if you are wanting to move up in the State of Indiana. It offers a lot of time off and they are very flexible with time off. Relaxed & Professional work environment. Great management and great people to work with.
Pros
Time off, Training, Management
Cons
Raises are low
My position with the State of Indiana was very fulfilling. I worked with those in need every day. The hardest part of the job was denying the needy.
Impact Worker (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INNovember 21, 2018
A typical day was interviewing clients, requesting documentation, reviewing the documentation and determining eligibility. We would listen to clients wants and needs; their shortcomings and strong points. We would hold hands and give hugs if needed. There was a supervisor in the office 2-3 days a week. I worked with litle supervision, but cases were checked for accuracy. The worst part of the job was denying ones who needed help. The best part of the job was co-workers that you could bounce ideas off of; having co-workers eagar to help one another.
Pros
Co-workers to bounce off thoughts, teamwork, knowing policies and procedures, helping most who need money, food or health care
Cons
following policies that did not agree with
Part-time Job on the side with commission
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson/Broker (Former Employee) –  State of IndianaDecember 30, 2018
Job was when I want/if I want type of schedule that involved working in the real estate sector, and the salary was strictly commission based upon sales.
Pros
Name my own hours
Cons
No base salary
relaxed and enjoyable
Public Assistance Caseworker 5 (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 8, 2018
I worked at a location where the staff and management felt like family. We had many pitch ins and bbq's. We often socialized after work. I am still friends with many of my coworkers. Best employer I've ever worked for.
Pros
flexible, great coworkers and management
Cons
fast paced
Indiana Department of correction
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INOctober 5, 2018
Working for the Indiana dept of corrections can become very stressful.It can be a good career job. I chose to make a career of it. The hardest part of this job was dealing with a lot of different emotions.
Pros
job security
Cons
health care