State of Iowa Employee Reviews

Decent employment environment.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJanuary 4, 2019
Government nepotism quite high. If an employee stays disciplined they are fine.Security of job is reassuring.Position in Corrections can be challenging. Officiating sports was a tremendous background for this position .
Pros
Very secure job if one stays within employment guidelines.
Cons
Advancement opportunities limited.
Was not a good place
Head Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Newton, IADecember 25, 2018
To much back stabbing the management did not care about who did the work they always took the credit unless something went wrong then they blame everyone just so long as they looked good
Pros
Cons
I left
Stressful
workforce advisor (Former Employee) –  des moines, iowaDecember 19, 2018
This job still gives me nightmares.
The management tried, but the systems and procedures are so broken and out of date, it would take a complete overhaul.
I couldn't stay one day longer.
Cons
scheduled lunches, micromanagement, negativity all day
Administrative Assistant 1 (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 29, 2018
A nice place to work with great co-workers. Good retirement options.
Good balance of slow to fast paced work areas.
A day of work was routine in fashion. Nothing about the job was hard and it involved a lot of training if needed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being around all the great people
Pros
na
Cons
na
State of Iowa
Transporter (Former Employee) –  IowaNovember 23, 2018
A typical day would be all customer service or traveling to recruite employers to post jobs with us. Helped with unemployment benefits. Held job fairs. employer representation.
Review of My Employment with State of Iowa
Judicial Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 21, 2018
I opened court, checked in people scheduled for court, processed court orders. I also scheduled interpreters for non-English speaking or deaf persons for court dates.

I enjoyed working with judges, attorneys, court personnel, and the general public.

Hardest part of the job was knowing what the outcome was going to be for people.

The most enjoyable part for me was the people.
Pros
People
Cons
Not getting raises according to performance
Loved the work
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 4, 2018
Collaborative atmosphere and lots of very talented people to work with. Wished I hadn't left when did because it was a good place to work and I felt respected.
Foster Parent
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Foster, IAOctober 31, 2018
Opened our live-in home as a safe have to children who had been neglected and abused.Tended to all their needs, emotional, physical and spiritual. Participated in plan for reunification with biological parents if possible.
Stay under the radar
Judicial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 25, 2018
The leadership team here is lacking … leadership. There isn't any encouragement or positive reinforcement. It's a constant negative place - which I attribute to the leadership team. They set tone - and clearly the tone sucks.
Pros
The Union
Cons
temporary job while I was looking for full time job
Workforce Associate - (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 10, 2018
I only worked here for about 6 weeks as I had lost my full time job and did not want to be on unemployment so a friend of mine got me a temporary position working for Iowa workforce while I searched for a full time position.
Pros
nice people
Cons
All in all the job is very stressful
WPII (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAOctober 6, 2018
Very stressful, Management is less than competent. I enjoyed the people that come into the office. Morale is very low. The hardest part of the job is keeping busy.
Pros
Client interaction
Cons
Morale
Good Benefits and Pay
Driver's License Examiner (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 17, 2018
The culture isn't the greatest, the pay and benefits can offset that. I think it really depends on what department you are with. I think that there are many areas with State Government that can be very rewarding and potentially fun, and many that are thankless and stressful.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Minimal advancement/growth
state of Iowa
Child/Adult Protection Worker, Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 17, 2018
good benefits, fast pace dealing with crisis and collaborate with other agencies to ensure children are safe. Peer are supportive, but you have to be direct and honest in interactions with each other. health benefits are wonderful, vacation and sick time is a nice benefit.
benefits
Cons
varied work hours
Nepotism and favortism between management and employees.
Insurance Company Examiner (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 13, 2018
Head supervisor of the bureau was married to one of the employees who worked two levels below them. There were three middle management supervisors who gave preferential treatment to the spouse of the head supervisor, both in personal and business settings.
Pros
Healthcare, vacation & sick leave
Cons
Work rules were not carried out consistently.
Ok
DHS (Current Employee) –  IowaSeptember 13, 2018
Decent benefits and compensation. Management more concerned with numbers than people. Benefits decreased recently but still ok. Always have to CYA. Worked at worse jobs
cdac provider in home
Cdac provider (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 5, 2018
i was a cdac procvider for my mother in her home. i cared for her daily liveing needs and helped her with brain exercises. she was on medicaid waiver so i was paid through her ins company.
Pros
get up when you want
Cons
stressfull
Helping people
Income Maintenance Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Council Blfs, IASeptember 3, 2018
Ensuring eligibility requirements met for initial and ongoing eligibility for all household members. Clearly explain programs, and when and how benefits are provided. Assist applicant, if needed, in completing application, and redetermination for ongoing eligibility. Assist, if needed, in providing required documents for eligibility determination.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Ensuring eligibility requirements
It was an enjoyable experience
Water Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 16, 2018
I really enjoyed my Water Patrol position with the Iowa DNR. I had an excellent supervisor who helped me be successful in my job. I was able to have a flexible schedule, that worked well with scheduled home activities.
Pros
flexable
Cons
some days were hot
A great place to start out
Staff Auditor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 15, 2018
I learned a lot with the state of Iowa and I have been exposed to a diverse set of circumstances. The work is very unique and you learn a lot. You will be challenged with a wide variety of engagements. Travel can really burn people out the office says 30-40% but that is office wide, starting out you may be as high as 50 - 60 on the high end.
Pros
Reimbursed Meals for travel, Pension plan
Cons
Low salaries at beginning to mid level, slow on raises
No Life Avoid and they won't train you very well
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Ankeny IowaAugust 15, 2018
They throw you to the wolfs in this place. Hardly any training and the expect you to be Mr. Know it all by the 2nd day of this job. They don't explain things or how things work that well. When you have a question nobody bothers to help you except maybe the 1 out of 30 co workers you may find who takes the time to help you.

I was told it would be a job 6am-3:45 turns out I was still there at 5pm and I asked a co worker when the shift ended. He said to me they used to work till 10pm sometimes later all depends on the amount of orders they have.
Pros
Cons
Hours, Pay. Management.