State of Iowa Employee Reviews

Judicial Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Spencer, IAApril 13, 2018
It is a great place to work with good benefits. Can be stressful but rewarding. Working with the court system is fun and you learn a lot about different areas.
Not as good as it was
State Employee (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 2, 2018
Always at the mercy of the state legislature and state budget. May go years without a pay increase. Some positions require 8 hours of work with no breaks.
Pros
Ok benefits; health, dental, retirement
Cons
Job security dependent on state budget
IT SPECIALIST 4 (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 26, 2018
It was difficult atmosphere to work in. Advancements were based on if the management liked you or not. It was not based on knowledge or work done, nor merit.
Excellent Entry Level
Imaging and Data Entry Clerk, Full Time Temporary (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 10, 2018
Practice your 10 key and wpm to get in. A fantastic Department to work for. Be prepared to say no to a lot of baked goods. You get your own desk. Security is pretty tight.
Pros
A great work environment, with many ways to advance
Cons
No overtime for a Temp position
bias men
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Anamosa, IAMarch 4, 2018
I worked as a correctional officer at anamosa state penitentiary for 10 yrs. I got injured and with their doctors restriction they fired me after honoring restrictions for over 4 yrs. Management suck its a bias boys club requirement for promoting male buddy favoritism. Benefits are great but women are discriminated against big time. I got hurt doing what men were afraid to do..
benefits
Cons
discrimination of women
Soi
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodward, IAFebruary 16, 2018
I worked for the state for 33 years, the last 18 in the IT arena. Prior to that, I was in Human Services as a direct care staff and then in a supervisory role. I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Na
Cons
Stressful
The hardest part of the job was dealing with unmotivated coworkers
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarinda, IAFebruary 13, 2018
The job would have been much better if all workers were somewhat motivated to be there instead of just showing up. It made the workplace hostile at times.
Great benefits, toxic staff
Register Nurse-Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Independence, IAFebruary 8, 2018
Loved my patients, staff are not all the most mindful and power struggles. Overall it was a nice place to work and was rewarding to get to make an impact in the lives of others. Everyday was exciting and the dynamics of these illnesses is so interesting. Doctors are kind and do well.
educational
Residential Officer (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 5, 2018
Paid well, educational, You are working with human beings so each day is a new day. You get the chance to affect positive change in the lives of all you are given the chance to interact with.
Can be a great financial job and the benifits are great
Typist Advanced (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAFebruary 3, 2018
This can be a stressful job and there are changes all the time. Most would say the only reason to get a job for the state is the benefits, and that would be accurate. The workers are there because they care and the government makes it very difficult to do your job because there is not enough workers.
Pros
benifits
Cons
job security
Department of Administrative Services (DAS) (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 25, 2018
A lot of opportunity to grow your skills and knowledge.

Having the ability to work with great team members but also being able to work independently.
Avoid at all cost!
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Anamosa, IOWAJanuary 21, 2018
I enjoyed the work I did and that is the only positive thing I can say about working for the state (prison). No one feels 100% secure in their jobs there. I've seen great employees fired and worthless, problem employees not receive any repercussions for doing some major illegal & backstabbing things. Office bullying is a huge issue there and absolutely nothing gets resolved by upper management. Job training is very poor, especially when your 'Manager' has no clue how to do your job & very poor communication skills.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Managers, co-workers, lack of discipline & communication.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJanuary 15, 2018
I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. It is much too stressful and nothing ever really improves. They expect you to do more with less and it is impossible.
Fun having open gym for workers
Recreation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newton, IAJanuary 11, 2018
Opened everyday by cleaning the gym floor. Then dealt with people all day. Hardest part was not letting people get on your nerves complaining about the equipment.
Pros
Being able to play basketball with friends
Cons
Not enough hours or money
typical government job
Community Development & Workforce Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 31, 2017
Poor managers. Low morale. Too many worthless people making work. political positions filled by friends and incompetents. No incentive or accountability for poor performance improvement.
benefits
Cons
no accountability for poor work
Difficult work environment with little support.
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 30, 2017
Difficult work environment with little support. I was expected to do certain programs without any support. The job wasn't what I was told it was up front.
Great Place to work
IT Support Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 28, 2017
Such an amazing company, not only is it a great place to work but the people you work with are very intelligent and easy to work with. The job does have its hurdles as it is a state government job and with that comes some slight unknowns with budgets and election years.
Pros
Pay, Pto, Friendly
Cons
Budget, Election Years
Supervisor had there favorites look out if your not one
Polk County Clerk of Court (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 20, 2017
Coworkers were a great group very helpful.
Good work pace busy but not overwhelmed unless your supervisor is hanging over your shoulder nagging at you STRESSED OUT NOW!!!
Usually easy to get personal time off.
Not all Departments/Branches are this way
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Nagging supervisor
State of Iowa what a job.
Social Worker II (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IADecember 13, 2017
I loved the actually work I did for the State of Iowa. My caseload was big and we had little support from managers or higher ups. Hours were long and you never knew when an emergency removal would need to happen.
good place to work
Executive Secretary (PSE1) (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 5, 2017
Learned lots of new rules the state makes and how they are made into law.
Management for the most part was pretty good.
work place culture was good but it was very difficult to fire bad employees
Pros
Good pay
Cons
incompetent employees at all levels