State of Iowa Employee Reviews

It was an enjoyable experience
Water Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 16, 2018
I really enjoyed my Water Patrol position with the Iowa DNR. I had an excellent supervisor who helped me be successful in my job. I was able to have a flexible schedule, that worked well with scheduled home activities.
Pros
flexable
Cons
some days were hot
No Life Avoid and they won't train you very well
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Ankeny IowaAugust 15, 2018
They throw you to the wolfs in this place. Hardly any training and the expect you to be Mr. Know it all by the 2nd day of this job. They don't explain things or how things work that well. When you have a question nobody bothers to help you except maybe the 1 out of 30 co workers you may find who takes the time to help you.

I was told it would be a job 6am-3:45 turns out I was still there at 5pm and I asked a co worker when the shift ended. He said to me they used to work till 10pm sometimes later all depends on the amount of orders they have.
Pros
Cons
Hours, Pay. Management.
State of Iowa was a good first experience for new Master's in Public Admin.
Administrative Assistant - State of Iowa (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 6, 2018
I worked in Dept. of Transportation with a section of the department billing for gas/diesel fuel tax for trucks. I supervised the tax determination, billing sent to trucking companies and correct filing of the paper work.

I worked also with the division of Public Transit assisting small cities with establishing bus lines for both the public and for schools.

I transferred to Dept. of General Services for which I developed, established and supervised the Forms Management Program. This effort was a trial at placing a tracking number on every form used by the State of Iowa. The goal was to assess forms, review the level of reading skill required for the form, standardize as many forms as possible in order to develop an economical system for forms production. Modest success.
Pros
Good experience in beginning supervision, development of workers.
Cons
Difficulty in transferring from Dept to Dept.
This job helped me learn a lot about life in general.
Secretary/Statistical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 29, 2018
My job was exciting and at the same time could be boring. Depending on the day and what was going on. There was a lot of coding, but also dealing with fatalities when they called in. Trying to comfort a brother who watched his brother die in a trench was not an easy job. But coding that same accident for the Federal government could be even harder.
Very stressful job. Micro-managed
IMW II (Current Employee) –  Orange City, IAJuly 29, 2018
The State of Iowa has benefits above and beyond many other jobs. There is a lot of stress as you are required to meet a certain amount of numbers each week. If not met, you are bullied and threatened by management
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Very stressful
Personal assistant
Personal Assistant/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 16, 2018
I go to a client's house and take them to her doctor's appointments and to the grocery store help set up their medicine and do her laundry and I also picked up our apartment
Pros
It is on my time when I can get over
Cons
Not enough pay
Good Place to Work
Customer Service Rep - Prison industries (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 7, 2018
The days are busy, management is good and cares about employees. Manager is always open to ideas and letting employees work things out and colaborate.
Immediate co-workers a friendly and fun to work with, indirect co-workers seem less than willing to help or willing to look at ways to improve the way we do things.
Pros
Great work place atmosphere, Great benefits, Good pay
Cons
Some oldtimers really don't want to work with newer people
productive and fun place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAJune 25, 2018
easy days fun people, very challenging working with various type of individuals. I would love to work with them again. they have great benefits but I didn't qualify for some
Great benefits, not great pay or work
Clerk Specialist (Former Employee) –  IowaJune 18, 2018
Low pay, boring work that is very stop and go. Great benefits, but the pay is low. Vacation time is accrued and takes a long time to build up. Salary and benefits are non-negotiable, so time off is highly unlikely within your first year.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Pay, tasks
Awesome
WORKFORCE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 12, 2018
I enjoy my role with the state of Iowa very much. I get along with everyone that I work with, the job is enjoyable, and the management is fantastic. Highly recommend.
Employee Review
IMW2 (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJune 7, 2018
This employer had great pay and benefits. The Employer tried to make the work place a little relaxed by allowing periodic center wide potlucks, and contests.
Pros
work hours, benefits, paid time off, off days
Cons
caseloads too high, no chance for advancement, micro management
Productive and rewarding career throughout employment
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 3, 2018
Professional productive rewarding career was afforded to me by the state of Iowa. Always had the support of administration and immediate supervisor. State supported advanced training and advancement. Very good work environment.
Great place
Electronics Technician at Iowa State Patrol Garage (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 29, 2018
Working for the state is a great place to work at, its fun, something different every day, great group of people, being able to work with the DPS is a great honor.
horrible upper management
Revenue Agent 2 (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMay 28, 2018
Horrible upper management. Immediate management people were ok. Never trust the upper management. Could only trust one or two of the immediate management people. great co-workers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
stressful
forklift driver, installer, grounds care
Helper--Installation, Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 16, 2018
Unloaded and load equipment, pallets, crates, and parts as they came into the shop.
Install, adjust, and move or relocate office furniture.
Grounds care. Cut grass, weed eater, and picked up trash.
Pros
learning how to install office furniture
Extremely Supportive Unit
Targeted Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Emmetsburg, IAMay 11, 2018
I loved working as a targeted case manager for IA DHS. Had it not been for the introduction of managed care which ultimately eliminated the majority of our case management unit, I would have remained in this position long term. I cannot speak for other departments within DHS, however, I feel blessed to have been a part of the targeted case management unit.
Pros
Extremely supportive supervisors
Scared and tormented
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 3, 2018
IDHS is not a supportive and cohesive place to work. The pay is fair and the supposed work hours are great however the expectations and demands are never ending and forever changing. Management has little to no experience and often give misleading directives to staff. When staff have complaints upper management will retaliate.
Pros
compensation is fair
Cons
Management, expctations, support and guidance.
No Consistency
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 25, 2018
There's a lot of change going on right now and no consistency and it's therefore hard to know what is expected of you. Your performance is based off someone else's opinion and not necessarily actual performance.
Productive Work Environment
Social Work Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mason City, IAApril 23, 2018
Busy and stressful but overall good work environment. Manage a lot of safety and risk issues for families. Balance work environment with employees and Judicial system.
Hardest part is keeping the morale of employees up.
Benefits
Cons
Family/work life balance
Judicial Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Spencer, IAApril 13, 2018
It is a great place to work with good benefits. Can be stressful but rewarding. Working with the court system is fun and you learn a lot about different areas.