State of Iowa Employee Reviews

All in all the job is very stressful
WPII (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAOctober 6, 2018
Very stressful, Management is less than competent. I enjoyed the people that come into the office. Morale is very low. The hardest part of the job is keeping busy.
Pros
Client interaction
Cons
Morale
Good Benefits and Pay
Driver's License Examiner (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 17, 2018
The culture isn't the greatest, the pay and benefits can offset that. I think it really depends on what department you are with. I think that there are many areas with State Government that can be very rewarding and potentially fun, and many that are thankless and stressful.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Minimal advancement/growth
state of Iowa
Child/Adult Protection Worker, Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 17, 2018
good benefits, fast pace dealing with crisis and collaborate with other agencies to ensure children are safe. Peer are supportive, but you have to be direct and honest in interactions with each other. health benefits are wonderful, vacation and sick time is a nice benefit.
benefits
Cons
varied work hours
Nepotism and favortism between management and employees.
Insurance Company Examiner (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 13, 2018
Head supervisor of the bureau was married to one of the employees who worked two levels below them. There were three middle management supervisors who gave preferential treatment to the spouse of the head supervisor, both in personal and business settings.
Pros
Healthcare, vacation & sick leave
Cons
Work rules were not carried out consistently.
Ok
DHS (Current Employee) –  IowaSeptember 13, 2018
Decent benefits and compensation. Management more concerned with numbers than people. Benefits decreased recently but still ok. Always have to CYA. Worked at worse jobs
cdac provider in home
Cdac provider (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 5, 2018
i was a cdac procvider for my mother in her home. i cared for her daily liveing needs and helped her with brain exercises. she was on medicaid waiver so i was paid through her ins company.
Pros
get up when you want
Cons
stressfull
Helping people
Income Maintenance Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Council Blfs, IASeptember 3, 2018
Ensuring eligibility requirements met for initial and ongoing eligibility for all household members. Clearly explain programs, and when and how benefits are provided. Assist applicant, if needed, in completing application, and redetermination for ongoing eligibility. Assist, if needed, in providing required documents for eligibility determination.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Ensuring eligibility requirements
It was an enjoyable experience
Water Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 16, 2018
I really enjoyed my Water Patrol position with the Iowa DNR. I had an excellent supervisor who helped me be successful in my job. I was able to have a flexible schedule, that worked well with scheduled home activities.
Pros
flexable
Cons
some days were hot
A great place to start out
Staff Auditor (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 15, 2018
I learned a lot with the state of Iowa and I have been exposed to a diverse set of circumstances. The work is very unique and you learn a lot. You will be challenged with a wide variety of engagements. Travel can really burn people out the office says 30-40% but that is office wide, starting out you may be as high as 50 - 60 on the high end.
Pros
Reimbursed Meals for travel, Pension plan
Cons
Low salaries at beginning to mid level, slow on raises
No Life Avoid and they won't train you very well
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Ankeny IowaAugust 15, 2018
They throw you to the wolfs in this place. Hardly any training and the expect you to be Mr. Know it all by the 2nd day of this job. They don't explain things or how things work that well. When you have a question nobody bothers to help you except maybe the 1 out of 30 co workers you may find who takes the time to help you.

I was told it would be a job 6am-3:45 turns out I was still there at 5pm and I asked a co worker when the shift ended. He said to me they used to work till 10pm sometimes later all depends on the amount of orders they have.
Pros
Cons
Hours, Pay. Management.
State of Iowa was a good first experience for new Master's in Public Admin.
Administrative Assistant - State of Iowa (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 6, 2018
I worked in Dept. of Transportation with a section of the department billing for gas/diesel fuel tax for trucks. I supervised the tax determination, billing sent to trucking companies and correct filing of the paper work.

I worked also with the division of Public Transit assisting small cities with establishing bus lines for both the public and for schools.

I transferred to Dept. of General Services for which I developed, established and supervised the Forms Management Program. This effort was a trial at placing a tracking number on every form used by the State of Iowa. The goal was to assess forms, review the level of reading skill required for the form, standardize as many forms as possible in order to develop an economical system for forms production. Modest success.
Pros
Good experience in beginning supervision, development of workers.
Cons
Difficulty in transferring from Dept to Dept.
This job helped me learn a lot about life in general.
Secretary/Statistical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 29, 2018
My job was exciting and at the same time could be boring. Depending on the day and what was going on. There was a lot of coding, but also dealing with fatalities when they called in. Trying to comfort a brother who watched his brother die in a trench was not an easy job. But coding that same accident for the Federal government could be even harder.
Very stressful job. Micro-managed
IMW II (Current Employee) –  Orange City, IAJuly 29, 2018
The State of Iowa has benefits above and beyond many other jobs. There is a lot of stress as you are required to meet a certain amount of numbers each week. If not met, you are bullied and threatened by management
Pros
Awesome benefits
Cons
Very stressful
Personal assistant
Personal Assistant/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 16, 2018
I go to a client's house and take them to her doctor's appointments and to the grocery store help set up their medicine and do her laundry and I also picked up our apartment
Pros
It is on my time when I can get over
Cons
Not enough pay
Good Place to Work
Customer Service Rep - Prison industries (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 7, 2018
The days are busy, management is good and cares about employees. Manager is always open to ideas and letting employees work things out and colaborate.
Immediate co-workers a friendly and fun to work with, indirect co-workers seem less than willing to help or willing to look at ways to improve the way we do things.
Pros
Great work place atmosphere, Great benefits, Good pay
Cons
Some oldtimers really don't want to work with newer people
productive and fun place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAJune 25, 2018
easy days fun people, very challenging working with various type of individuals. I would love to work with them again. they have great benefits but I didn't qualify for some
Great benefits, not great pay or work
Clerk Specialist (Former Employee) –  IowaJune 18, 2018
Low pay, boring work that is very stop and go. Great benefits, but the pay is low. Vacation time is accrued and takes a long time to build up. Salary and benefits are non-negotiable, so time off is highly unlikely within your first year.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Pay, tasks
Awesome
WORKFORCE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 12, 2018
I enjoy my role with the state of Iowa very much. I get along with everyone that I work with, the job is enjoyable, and the management is fantastic. Highly recommend.
Employee Review
IMW2 (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJune 7, 2018
This employer had great pay and benefits. The Employer tried to make the work place a little relaxed by allowing periodic center wide potlucks, and contests.
Pros
work hours, benefits, paid time off, off days
Cons
caseloads too high, no chance for advancement, micro management
Productive and rewarding career throughout employment
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 3, 2018
Professional productive rewarding career was afforded to me by the state of Iowa. Always had the support of administration and immediate supervisor. State supported advanced training and advancement. Very good work environment.