State of Iowa Employee Reviews

Amazing learning experience for futures in Cyber Security
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 2, 2019
The intern position i had included exposure to every area the OCIO security team was responsible for. This allowed for me to gain a foundational knowledge across many different aspects including (but not limited to) threat hunting, Intrusion detection and response, application monitoring, and security auditing.
Pros
Flexible hours, Good location
good place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Newton, IAFebruary 12, 2019
I enjoyed working with the people and the environment it was really fun and I learned a lot with the diverse group of people. I was incarcerated there and it was a good place to work at
Good Balance for Personal and Processional Life
Management Analyst 3 (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 6, 2019
The State of Iowa have reasonably competitive salaries and good benefits. You receive separate vacation and sick days, paid holidays, good health insurance and the opportunity to participate in IPERS. The job offers a very good balance for personal and professional life.
Secretary 2
Secretary 2 (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 24, 2019
Great benefits, pay isn't the best. There is not a lot of room for advancement and to get a promotion you have to wait quite a few years or transfer to another State of Iowa Office.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Corrections and Mental Health working together
SOCIAL WORKER III and II (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 16, 2019
contact community resources for housing, treatment, basic needs, facilitate groups, develop treatment program and new unit, work closely with Medical and Psychiatry
Hardest position i've ever held
Consumer Directed Attendant Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IOWAJanuary 7, 2019
Managed home care environment-one on one care. Took care of father to keep him in his home. Personal grooming, bathing, dressing, preparing meals. Cleaning his home and maintaining, Paid his bills, grocery shopping, other as errands as needed.

Provided transportation to doctor appts and other appts he may had.

Exercising to maintain mobility.

Hardest job you can do is take care of a parent and the most rewarding
Pros
keeping individual in his home
Cons
No time for yourself
Decent employment environment.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJanuary 4, 2019
Government nepotism quite high. If an employee stays disciplined they are fine.Security of job is reassuring.Position in Corrections can be challenging. Officiating sports was a tremendous background for this position .
Pros
Very secure job if one stays within employment guidelines.
Cons
Advancement opportunities limited.
Was not a good place
Head Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Newton, IADecember 25, 2018
To much back stabbing the management did not care about who did the work they always took the credit unless something went wrong then they blame everyone just so long as they looked good
Pros
Cons
I left
Stressful
workforce advisor (Former Employee) –  des moines, iowaDecember 19, 2018
This job still gives me nightmares.
The management tried, but the systems and procedures are so broken and out of date, it would take a complete overhaul.
I couldn't stay one day longer.
Cons
scheduled lunches, micromanagement, negativity all day
Administrative Assistant 1 (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 29, 2018
A nice place to work with great co-workers. Good retirement options.
Good balance of slow to fast paced work areas.
A day of work was routine in fashion. Nothing about the job was hard and it involved a lot of training if needed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being around all the great people
Pros
na
Cons
na

Want to know more about State of Iowa?

Ask a question
State of Iowa
Transporter (Former Employee) –  IowaNovember 23, 2018
A typical day would be all customer service or traveling to recruite employers to post jobs with us. Helped with unemployment benefits. Held job fairs. employer representation.
Review of My Employment with State of Iowa
Judicial Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 21, 2018
I opened court, checked in people scheduled for court, processed court orders. I also scheduled interpreters for non-English speaking or deaf persons for court dates.

I enjoyed working with judges, attorneys, court personnel, and the general public.

Hardest part of the job was knowing what the outcome was going to be for people.

The most enjoyable part for me was the people.
Pros
People
Cons
Not getting raises according to performance
Loved the work
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 4, 2018
Collaborative atmosphere and lots of very talented people to work with. Wished I hadn't left when did because it was a good place to work and I felt respected.
Foster Parent
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Foster, IAOctober 31, 2018
Opened our live-in home as a safe have to children who had been neglected and abused.Tended to all their needs, emotional, physical and spiritual. Participated in plan for reunification with biological parents if possible.
Stay under the radar
Judicial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 25, 2018
The leadership team here is lacking … leadership. There isn't any encouragement or positive reinforcement. It's a constant negative place - which I attribute to the leadership team. They set tone - and clearly the tone sucks.
Pros
The Union
Cons
temporary job while I was looking for full time job
Workforce Associate - (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 10, 2018
I only worked here for about 6 weeks as I had lost my full time job and did not want to be on unemployment so a friend of mine got me a temporary position working for Iowa workforce while I searched for a full time position.
Pros
nice people
Cons
All in all the job is very stressful
WPII (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAOctober 6, 2018
Very stressful, Management is less than competent. I enjoyed the people that come into the office. Morale is very low. The hardest part of the job is keeping busy.
Pros
Client interaction
Cons
Morale
Good Benefits and Pay
Driver's License Examiner (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 17, 2018
The culture isn't the greatest, the pay and benefits can offset that. I think it really depends on what department you are with. I think that there are many areas with State Government that can be very rewarding and potentially fun, and many that are thankless and stressful.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Minimal advancement/growth
state of Iowa
Child/Adult Protection Worker, Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 17, 2018
good benefits, fast pace dealing with crisis and collaborate with other agencies to ensure children are safe. Peer are supportive, but you have to be direct and honest in interactions with each other. health benefits are wonderful, vacation and sick time is a nice benefit.
benefits
Cons
varied work hours
Nepotism and favortism between management and employees.
Insurance Company Examiner (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 13, 2018
Head supervisor of the bureau was married to one of the employees who worked two levels below them. There were three middle management supervisors who gave preferential treatment to the spouse of the head supervisor, both in personal and business settings.
Pros
Healthcare, vacation & sick leave
Cons
Work rules were not carried out consistently.