State of Kansas Employee Reviews

Great Place but underpaid.
HUMAN SERVICES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Great Bend, KSSeptember 20, 2018
Great place to work. You definitely do not get paid enough. You do get a lot of benefits. Great Healthy benefits with retirement. Great supervisors. They are there for you.
Good job
Masonry , Concrete flat worker (Former Employee) –  Ellsworth County, KSSeptember 8, 2018
A good job for someone that want to stay in a career and retire in it. Great benefits and oppurtunites figure your hourly pay and add 5 dollars an hour to factor in the great benefits.
Enjoy helping people
Driver License Examiner (Current Employee) –  Emporia, KSSeptember 6, 2018
Our office is small. On an average, we serve 80 people per day between three staff members. We work with a diverse customer base, from international students to babies.

The hardest part of the job sometimes is dealing with upset customers. Being front line and enforcing laws and rules is essential but not pleasant. Maintaining a professional attitude is necessary and helpful.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping first time applicants go through the process and watch their faces when they pass all required testing successfully.
Pros
Assisting people with driver licenses, learning permits, testing and identifications cards.
Cons
Stress, at times.
Poor management. Bad culture
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  KansasSeptember 4, 2018
Very low pay compared to the industry standard. No advancement opportunities for people not "connected". Extremely lazy co-workers with racist attitudes. If you can tolerate the good ole boy racism then not a bad place to get your feet wet and get out.
Pros
You can call off anytime you want because no one cares.
Cons
Working there.
Popcorn Wednesdsays
DCF Human Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  topeka ksAugust 29, 2018
On Wednesdays we would have popcorn Wednesdays where a bag of popcorn is only fifety cents; this is an incentive for a great work place and a word of appreciation from upper staff. This was a time where staff could take a few minutes out of their busy schedule to say hello to others and speak about the different departments they work in,
Good group of people
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSAugust 29, 2018
8 hour work day
how to monitor others workload
management was OK
good place to work
handling customers over the phone when they needed something done now
the people
Pros
insurance etc
Cons
some of the work
not a fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSAugust 27, 2018
Working for the Animal Health department was fun except for the management. Management was very belittling and backstabbing, they were not there to commend anyone.
Pros
working with state vet
Cons
management
was a enjoyable place to work
Automobile Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Larned, KSAugust 27, 2018
Was a productive enjoyable work environment to work in. Learned a lot and also tought people at the same time. Worked on a variety of equipment as well as operated different equipment as well
Wildlife & Parks of Kansas-Enjoyable & productive place to work.
Senior Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pratt, KSAugust 16, 2018
Fast pace, friendly, management easy to talk to, assistance when needed, learning workplace, a place where you want to go to work every day & do your best.. Hardest part was learning the computer system but someone was always there to answer your questions.
Working with clients and staff is great. Too much paperwork.
Rehabilitation Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSAugust 7, 2018
Seeing clients and staff succeed is enormously satisfying. However, there is always way too much to do. This includes too much paperwork needed before varios services can be provided to clients for them to succeed
Pros
Benefits are at least average. Coworkers are outstanding.
Cons
Many years with no pay raises for a yone.
Super challenging
Child Support Enforcement Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 25, 2018
Training, training, training! Working, working, working! Learning, learning, learning! Asking questions for every single move you make regarding phone calls etc. Looking back I see how intense it was. When I was doing it I just wanted to do a good job

I got up to thirty calls a day! It was crazy some days. My voice mailbox was always full and my boss was always on my butt! I had a caseload of like 700-800 and we processed child support payments and recovery payments for the state. You felt like you never got anything done, honestly.
Pros
Great training..pay was good..
Cons
Over-load!
Corrections work
Corrections supervisor (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 18, 2018
It is stressful work but can be rewarding if you want it to be. Most of the supervisors are great to work for but some want to treat you unprofessional. Most try to work with you when you need time off. Most supervisor want to see you succeed
Decent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, KSJuly 12, 2018
I didnt mind working here but some of the management needs to be replaced. They play favorites and because of this they lost some great people that had been there for years and great at there job.
Government position
Chief Fiscal Officer (Former Employee) –  TopekaJuly 5, 2018
As with a typical governmental position, it requires you follow as directed with no latitude for recommendations. Long hours coupled with staffing limitations due to turnover and limits on work time made the position very stressful.
Hard work, Productive, Long hours
Custodial Services (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 29, 2018
Had work in fast paced environment, Learned to multitask and work with lots of personalities, Gained Leadership skills and Team work experience. Long Hours.
an environment not for the faint of heart
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, KSJune 21, 2018
It takes a certain type of person to successfully pull off a career in Corrections. The state of Kansas is in a very poor and sad position with respect to providing for Officers and paying them a fair wage compared to the National average.
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
No breaks, high stress, very low staffing levels, dangerous environment
Eh it’s ok for a
Human Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 21, 2018
Good for a filler job. Supervisors do not want to do any work and leave the lobby in the hands of a power hungry she devil. Pay sucks, definitely not a livable wage for a recent college grad (bills and student loan payments) no room for advancement as people tend to stay here their entire lives. Raises are laughable and do not happen every year.
Love being helpful
Care Giver (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 20, 2018
As a caregiver I loved to be doing what I wanted while being helpful to a loving family with children. If I wasn’t so young while doing this job at the time I would probably wanted to advance a little further.
Fun place
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 13, 2018
When I started here in 1987 it had a family feel. Everyone was nice and it was a really fun place to work. I had a great mentor that taught me alot. Fun place.
Great benefits and plenty of paid time off.
Accounting Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 12, 2018
All in all I enjoyed my job at the State of Kansas. It taught me how to be patient and listen to what people were really saying. On the other hand, it all so taught me how to stand my ground, when interpreting guidelines set forth by the Board, to the attorneys and their staff.
Pros
Benefits, Pay scale, Hours
Cons
frequency of poor management and wasted funds