State of Louisiana Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very satisfying
Debbie Ambrose, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJuly 12, 2018
It's a difficult job but very satisfying once the end results are obtained. You are often responding to emergencies that arise daily in your caseloads.
Not a good place to work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Homer, LAJuly 9, 2018
Provides little opportunity for advancement. There is no communication between upper management and line staff.
Promotions are rarely based on experience, merit and hard work.
Salary levels are far below normal pay ranges. Moral in the work place is very low.
Pros
worked with great, hard working people
Records Department Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 28, 2018
I enjoyed working for the State, however because of low state benefits, I decided to go somewhere else that offered better pay. I really enjoyed working with the clients and colleagues, and enjoyed pushing myself to accomplish my goals.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
pay scale below average
Good coworker's
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Elayn HuntMay 19, 2018
Great place to learn, worked with very knowledgable people who were willing to share their skills. Very interesting cases seen and treated, great learning experience.
worked as a claims adjuster
Staff Claim Representive (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 18, 2018
worked as a claims adjuster working with the customer, attorneys regarding lawsuits, co workers, management to obtain a good final result. Customers service was stressed
Pros
people
Cons
money
The benifits outweigh the pay...
Motor vehicle compliace analyst iv (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMay 16, 2018
I have learned many task...multi tasking was a daily job...dealing with irate customers and being able to help them was great..Very stressful job but the benefits out weighed the pay...28 years and retired now....it was a great journey
Education environment
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 8, 2018
Professional accounting work with the state. Good work experience in state government. Good contacts with agencies throughout the state of Louisiana. Learn how state government work for the finance and support areas.
Summary
STATE PROCUREMENT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 1, 2018
The office I came from was very political and had a tendency to change things arbitrarily and not reward hard work. They tended to wait till end of day when they wanted to have discussions with you after your work day had technically ended.
Meaningful and productive
Retired (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAApril 25, 2018
Very Productive, my work involved families experiencing crisis that could possibly disrupt the family unit. My best moments came when we as a team ere able to maintain family unity.
Cool
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 24, 2018
Report to work by 8am
See tasks for the day and set about accomplishing them
Learned to better use Microsoft Office
Pretty laid back but also disorganized/inefficient in some ways
Quota orientated
Title - Administrative Coordinator III (Current Employee) –  Hammond, LAApril 10, 2018
All U I Tax agents are required to reach a monthly quota of audits. These audits are based on a federal mandate. This office is usually very quiet with socializing during lunch.
review plans for fire protection systems
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LA 70112April 6, 2018
I reviewed plans and drawings that were submitted to the Louisiana State Fire Marshal for fire protection systems. I reviewed plans that that included the new Louisiana Health Building, various schools and strip malls.
Pros
challaging work, good coworkers
Cons
some days of working 9+ hours
easy work , desent money
Lift line operator (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMarch 26, 2018
sport tran is not an state or city job. Its is owned bye two private business owners . The job it self is fairly easy and the pay is nice . I must admit if you have strict schedule and small kids I would recommend that you look into it further , the hours and days can be long . the job can be very stressful due to management and the lack thereof . but it can also be fun if you enjoy meeting new people and naturally care for the disabled and elderly.
Pros
union, health benifits, life insurance, nice, overtime
Cons
no lunch break, countinous driving for eight hours and no meal, unorganized, fustrated customers, will not get off on time
Not Good
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  State of LouisianaMarch 1, 2018
After working for a local municipality and a state agency I can honestly say the vast majority of government workers are lazy and not interested in serving the people they work for.

If you enjoy your career, setting goals and achieving them then public service is not for you. If you have morals and integrity or feel the need to do a professional job this is not the place for you. When a problem arises in the private sector you solve it. When a problem arises in the state system you report it then hope to hear you can order the parts in the next 6 to 12 months.

Our Fleet of vehicles routinely had there oil changed once a year regardless if they were driven 1 or 100,000 miles in that year.
1 year after leaving the state system a coworker called to tell me the parts i ordered 6 months before leaving had just came in.

If you are a highly successful person you will wither on the vine working for a State of Louisiana department. Please stay in the private sector or open your own business and succeeded.
Pros
4 of the 7 or 8 coworkers i had and the customers.
Cons
Managment at all levels.
Best job experience.
Administrative Cooperative 2 (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 1, 2018
I was able to start from the bottom and work my way up to having my own office while employed here. At the time, a lot of managers were about to retire, and they taught me a lot about how each department worked. I was also able to make changes which are still implemented to this day.
Pros
Overall great experience
Cons
Continued training and changes. Stressful much of the time in my particular agency.
Commercial Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 19, 2018
In addition to above, there were many opportunities for promotions and advancement. I learned to adapt to changes in duties on a regular basis. Discouraged at the lack of maturity and professionalism in the workplace. Newer generation of employees lacked work ethic and motivation. Enjoyed being busy and knowing at the end of the day I had achieved and pushed myself to my greatest potential.
Professional
Probation/Parole Officer lll (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAFebruary 14, 2018
I enjoyed working with the State of Louisiana with no regrets. I enjoy working with people and as a Probation/Parole I encountered people from all walks of life. My job was very rewarding.
Be prepared
Foster Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAFebruary 13, 2018
This agency is a very fast paced environment. Training did not prepare for such high caseloads or complexity. I would only recommend this job to individuals with no kids and can dedicate your life to this job.
Pros
benefits, holiday pay
Cons
everything else
Stressful
Social Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAFebruary 12, 2018
Very high caseload and stressful. Lots of pto and sick time but caseload is so heavy you can not be as thorough as you should be. You know what they say... good enough for government work
Work Day
Administrative Assistant 4 (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 4, 2018
Good benefits, not enough advancement. Agencies vary, so it's hard to say across the board that all are the same. That being said, it's not a bad place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay