State of Louisiana Employee Reviews

Love the job,
Legislative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Franklinton, LaAugust 30, 2018
Wonderful job, I have learned a lot about government. Interesting people to meet. There are many parts to this job that I have enjoyed learning about.
Pros
Great work
Cons
Not enough pau for a single person
working on getting GED
Home Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Minden, LAAugust 20, 2018
Allow me to do home health care for senior citizens/disabled citizens. Im able to continue my drive on getting my GED and time with family. I am currently seeking employment with more hrs to meet car payments utilities.
Pros
Doing something help our seniors
Cons
need more hrs
The workplace was productive but could have used vast improvements.
Revenue Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 14, 2018
My typical work day started at 7:30am and ended at 5:00pm. I would be off every other Friday. I learned a lot about the flow and structure of many different industries in New Orleans due to me auditing their sales tax. I audited a lot of restaurants in the New Orleans so that knowledge would benefit your organization. The hardest part of my job was getting tax payers to cooperate. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping taxpayers to overcome being hit with a big audit assessment during the follow-up audit.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay rate
It has potential
Administrative Coordinator 4 (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 11, 2018
The state work depends on your agency, some are better than others. The positives also depend on your agency. Moving up is not really an option. It who you know not what you know!
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Fast paced Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, LAAugust 6, 2018
There could be a policy change and you would find out the before you open for the day. You were then responsible to pass it on to the public. The health benefits were awesome but there was no dental and vision package.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
High expectations and little pay insenitives
Depending where you’re employed
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 5, 2018
You just need to be related to someone to get a job advancement! Your work you’ve done for years goes unnoticed and others get praised for doing less than you do. A lot of petty,messy women in the work environment. Everybody talks about everybody including management w/employees!
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Favoritism, messy women, Pay!
Good job to work at but stressful.
Social Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Livingston, LAAugust 2, 2018
Working for the state was at times fun but was stressful due to the nature of the work . The state had many benefits such retirement and time off . Working with families was rewarding as well as difficult .
Just don't do it.
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 26, 2018
The management culture is awful in this organization. You are given goals in you PES that can only be achieved by cheating or "pencil whipping it". I never felt I could achieve the goals set for me and there was no way to have a reasonable discussion with the director. In fact in one staff meeting the director browbeat the whole staff and told us that "if we didn't like how things were being done around there, there's the door, I'm taking resignations all week." There's your culture.
Pros
Paid leave
Cons
Everything else
Good place to meet people all over the world.
Administrative Coordinator 2/Accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 24, 2018
Attend over 100 + people everyday with their refunds of their sales taxes also to promote the state of Louisiana where to visit and what to do while they visit our state.
Pros
Learn new languages and new cultures.
Cons
Not enough time to eat on my lunch break and most of the time short staff.
due the the building
Customer Service SSC II (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJuly 23, 2018
nothing special about work culture. location of job building was depressing. staff turnover was unsettling. staff willingness to serve their consumer, client, patient, or whatever one is called today was/is
outstanding.
Pros
staff was professional and compentant
Cons
none worth mentioning
bosses are there to collect a paycheck until retirement
Public Health Inspector (Former Employee) –  Louisiana, MONROE Region 8July 19, 2018
They do not care that you truly want to make a difference and improve the public health. The parish managers and supervisors only want to count time until they retire. The parish manager takes 4 hour lunches and goes to "exercise" at least three times a week. The parish manger is never on time at work, and does not follow the dress code, but require all workers to. The regional boss has the same work ethic, just biding time until he retires. They do not want you to do your job if it requires them to work.
Flexible work schedule
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 14, 2018
State of Louisiana is a good place to locate a position for those who are seeking an area of employment for long term. Retirement benefits are a major plus.
Pros
Most position have job security
Cons
This is a government entity and is driven by politics.
Very satisfying
Debbie Ambrose, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJuly 12, 2018
It's a difficult job but very satisfying once the end results are obtained. You are often responding to emergencies that arise daily in your caseloads.
Not a good place to work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Homer, LAJuly 9, 2018
Provides little opportunity for advancement. There is no communication between upper management and line staff.
Promotions are rarely based on experience, merit and hard work.
Salary levels are far below normal pay ranges. Moral in the work place is very low.
Pros
worked with great, hard working people
Records Department Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 28, 2018
I enjoyed working for the State, however because of low state benefits, I decided to go somewhere else that offered better pay. I really enjoyed working with the clients and colleagues, and enjoyed pushing myself to accomplish my goals.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
pay scale below average
Good coworker's
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Elayn HuntMay 19, 2018
Great place to learn, worked with very knowledgable people who were willing to share their skills. Very interesting cases seen and treated, great learning experience.
worked as a claims adjuster
Staff Claim Representive (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 18, 2018
worked as a claims adjuster working with the customer, attorneys regarding lawsuits, co workers, management to obtain a good final result. Customers service was stressed
Pros
people
Cons
money
The benifits outweigh the pay...
Motor vehicle compliace analyst iv (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMay 16, 2018
I have learned many task...multi tasking was a daily job...dealing with irate customers and being able to help them was great..Very stressful job but the benefits out weighed the pay...28 years and retired now....it was a great journey
Education environment
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 8, 2018
Professional accounting work with the state. Good work experience in state government. Good contacts with agencies throughout the state of Louisiana. Learn how state government work for the finance and support areas.
Summary
STATE PROCUREMENT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 1, 2018
The office I came from was very political and had a tendency to change things arbitrarily and not reward hard work. They tended to wait till end of day when they wanted to have discussions with you after your work day had technically ended.