State of Louisiana
55Below average

State of Louisiana Employee Reviews

United States287 reviews
I enjoy working for the state, however, I have been limited in my capacity at times and this can frustrating because i always want to be my best
Working for the state has been an excellent opportunity to increase and sharpen my skills. The work environment was positive and I've built many lasting relationships that are a blessing.
Stressful
Working with the State of Louisiana is very stressful because the department is unorganized and very territorial. Please take your degree elsewhere. You are under paid and under trained and expected to work as if you know everything.
High qualifications for a minumum salary
Low wage for an insurmountable of work. Non modernized work setting, unprofessional and uneducated employees. LA is 50 years behind. Horrible state!!!
Pros
You will get hired
Cons
Lazy staff, poor resources, lousiana workers aren't bright.
Secure employment but it gets repetitive and you must relocate for advancement
The work hours are ideal, Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm in most cases. The work is repetitive once you learn your duties in most cases, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences. The pay is not extremely high if you aren't in a leadership position, but you receive other benefits like PTO, Sick leave, Pension/Retirement. No social security benefits are deducted, so keep that in mind. The workplace culture varies depending on your office location, but just like any other place. It can be good/bad, messy, micromanaging, or great depending on your supervisor, coworkers and leadership support. There are online and face-to-face training opportunities. Advancement opportunities are typically limited to regional offices or the headquarters, so be prepared to relocate and/or travel a lot if you plan to see those leadership positions.
Pros
Job security, benefits, set schedule
Cons
Repetitive, can get a bad supervisor, lower pay, not as many local opportunities for advancement
Flexible and challenging job.
Job is very demanding but rewarding. Must be able to multitask with many different assignments going on at the same time. Lots of interaction with the public and multiple other government agencies.
Pros
Rewarding job and flexible hours.
Cons
Must be able deal with a lot of negativity
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
very demanding
i enjoy working with the inmates and staff as well. the job is very rewarding in the sense that your job is overall to maintain the publics safety. 12 hour shift may sometime interfere with home life.
Consider all your options
This job is extremely stressful. Your are not fairly compensated for the amount of work you are doing at all. The expectations are high when the training is poor. If you miss more than a day it takes weeks to catch back up. Case processing techniques and technology is old and outdated. Office moral is extremely low. There are events held every quarter to try to help raise it but no one wants to go when you have so much work to do.
Pros
Some nice people and holidays
Cons
High turn over, extreme stress like need a therapist but you won’t be able to afford it on this salary alone
Work
I like it. The people I work with now are really nice and helpful. It is a relaxed department and we do get our work done daily. I would really recommend a state job.
Pros
hours, benefits
Cons
salary could be more
Okay
Pro - helping people who really need it.

Con - suggest working at larger offices/sites. I work at small office with terrible moral & non professional behavior.
The good and bad
The good is that they have people that take care of the clients very well. I like that about the company. The bad thing is that the supervisors and the office workers aren't good at all. They have their picks and chooses of who move up on the job. They don't go by experienced at all.
Feel productive and part of the team.
Work hours 7am - 4pm.
Always something new to learn.

Management always supportive and easy to talk too.

Everyday feels productive.

Most enjoyable is the Holiday Schedule.
Pros
Feel part of the team
Cons
N/a
Good Job
A rewarding job that helps give to the community and is actually good for the economy. I had excellent guidance from the supervisor and was surrounded by experienced coworkers who were happy to help answer any questions I had
Very professional to work with
All of the State jobs I’ve had I have been extremely satisfied with. The leave time, sick time, vacation time etc are better than most and I’m extremely satisfied with.
institutional racism
this is not the type of place you want to work for very long if you don't have to. i strongly recommend that you continue your job search even if you are eventually hired.
Excellent Place to work
Outstanding team concept, everyone pitches in to make the overall success productive . Management team is excellent always available when needed to assist.
It was a great job
I retired after working 28 years with Swanson Center for Youth. I worked in Personal for 13 years and the Training department for the rest of the time.
Job was easy but culture was horrible
Working for the State of Louisiana was challenging from a cultural standpoint. The jobs were easy and the systems were antiquated. Standard Operating Procedures were outdated. Major nepotism and lack of accountability.
Great working place
Management was great. Workplace was excellent. Typical work, type, compose letters, check emails, did payroll, ordered supplies. Collect money and deposit on a daily basis.
Cons
breaks
Loved the work
The work of the job was great. I loved working on the equipment and solving the mechanical issues. Operating the equipment was fun and exciting. The work was great!
Directive was contradictory and unclear
Hostile work environment with many hands at play for harassing individuals that worked hard but didn't play into the office politics. Play to get paid. Hard work does not get you anywhere. BE willing to be a rat and trust noone.
Central Louisiana State Hospital, Patient Funds
The so-called Supervisor of Patient Funds isn’t Supervisor material. Micromanages everything in the office, and doesn’t know what she’s doing. HR & the CEO are of no help, they kiss her butt. Run FAST from this job as long as she is there, unless you want to be miserable! She should be a patient there. FACTS!
Pros
Pleasant when Supervisor of Patient Funds is gone
Cons
Supervisor of Patient Funds, low pay, the very bottom of the scale
Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Louisiana. Our community is ready to answer.