State of Louisiana Employee Reviews

Great Experinence
Probation and Parole Officer (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LANovember 12, 2018
Started out right out of college. Learned so much and feel like I had some of the best training during my tenure. I greatly appreciate my fellow employees who are all supportive of one another. I feel it is a wonderful place to work and help the juvenile population.
Benefits
Don't do it!
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  LouisianaNovember 11, 2018
The benefits are amazing, but the pay is terrible. I left and easily got 10k more a year working fewer hours. It was very disorganized, and I was held accountable for information that I was never trained on. Very much Louisiana good ole boy business. Also, work load is insane for the pay.
Pros
Benefits, sick and vacation time
Cons
High work load, no recognition, cronyism
feels like your locked up
engineering (Former Employee) –  Homer, LAOctober 20, 2018
They breath down your back like your a prisoner, yell and scream as if they are the smartest people on earth, i feel bad for them my job was only temporary , they are stuck there
Pros
nothing good
Cons
there all cons
DNR is an excellent agency.
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 19, 2018
My position as Internal Auditor at DNR provided the opportunity to see all aspects of the agency. I was able to not only review the financial side of the agency but also the operating side.
Great Place to Work
Statewide Accounting System Consultant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 19, 2018
The state of Louisiana has offered excellent career opportunities and advanced level jobs. Entry level jobs are not difficult to obtain; however many upper level jobs are hired from within.
great place to work
truck unloader/forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 9, 2018
the job itself was great and I loved loading and unloading trucks as well as operating the forklift, however, the pay and hours weren't sufficient at the time
Pros
loved driving forklifts and loading trucks
Cons
pay
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Jackson, LASeptember 26, 2018
I enjoy working wth my patients. I look forward to seeing them accomplish different activities of daily living. It's something different to look for every day.
Pros
Good patients
Cons
Underpaid, overworked
I love helping our Veterans
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 25, 2018
I love working with our Veterans, I am basically a teller for our resident accounts. I am opened 4 hours a day. The other 4 hours I am paying the resident's bills and processing new admit paper work, and the sad part of my job is closing out resident's fund when they discharge, usually when they pass away. The fun part of my job is getting to know our Veterans and their families. I am responsible for our petty cash and meal tickets. I balance both at the end of each day. I make all the deposits for our home. I post deposits and with draws into our 4 checking accounts. I print reports everyday. I have been working in accounting since 1979. I stayed home many years to raise my children and have only been back for about 5 years. I am enjoying working again.
Pros
vacation time. The state offers great vacation time.
Cons
Tight budgets and not great pay, to much politics and red tape
Excellent staff
Administrative Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 19, 2018
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at The Mental Health Advocacy Service, a State of Louisiana agency. It was a very relaxed office environment that only became stressful during audit season. Other than that, from the director on down to all the attorneys, I had an excellent experience working there.
Cons
Pay is too low to survive adequately on
Stable and Necessary
Social Service Analyst & Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  DeRidder, LASeptember 5, 2018
I miss the stability I had working for the State. The State is a tough job, however, it is a necessary and rewarding job doing child welfare. I miss the families I worked with on a regular basis.
Love the job,
Legislative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Franklinton, LaAugust 30, 2018
Wonderful job, I have learned a lot about government. Interesting people to meet. There are many parts to this job that I have enjoyed learning about.
Pros
Great work
Cons
Not enough pau for a single person
working on getting GED
Home Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Minden, LAAugust 20, 2018
Allow me to do home health care for senior citizens/disabled citizens. Im able to continue my drive on getting my GED and time with family. I am currently seeking employment with more hrs to meet car payments utilities.
Pros
Doing something help our seniors
Cons
need more hrs
The workplace was productive but could have used vast improvements.
Revenue Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 14, 2018
My typical work day started at 7:30am and ended at 5:00pm. I would be off every other Friday. I learned a lot about the flow and structure of many different industries in New Orleans due to me auditing their sales tax. I audited a lot of restaurants in the New Orleans so that knowledge would benefit your organization. The hardest part of my job was getting tax payers to cooperate. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping taxpayers to overcome being hit with a big audit assessment during the follow-up audit.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay rate
It has potential
Administrative Coordinator 4 (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 11, 2018
The state work depends on your agency, some are better than others. The positives also depend on your agency. Moving up is not really an option. It who you know not what you know!
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Fast paced Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, LAAugust 6, 2018
There could be a policy change and you would find out the before you open for the day. You were then responsible to pass it on to the public. The health benefits were awesome but there was no dental and vision package.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
High expectations and little pay insenitives
Depending where you’re employed
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 5, 2018
You just need to be related to someone to get a job advancement! Your work you’ve done for years goes unnoticed and others get praised for doing less than you do. A lot of petty,messy women in the work environment. Everybody talks about everybody including management w/employees!
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Favoritism, messy women, Pay!
Good job to work at but stressful.
Social Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Livingston, LAAugust 2, 2018
Working for the state was at times fun but was stressful due to the nature of the work . The state had many benefits such retirement and time off . Working with families was rewarding as well as difficult .
Just don't do it.
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 26, 2018
The management culture is awful in this organization. You are given goals in you PES that can only be achieved by cheating or "pencil whipping it". I never felt I could achieve the goals set for me and there was no way to have a reasonable discussion with the director. In fact in one staff meeting the director browbeat the whole staff and told us that "if we didn't like how things were being done around there, there's the door, I'm taking resignations all week." There's your culture.
Pros
Paid leave
Cons
Everything else
Good place to meet people all over the world.
Administrative Coordinator 2/Accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 24, 2018
Attend over 100 + people everyday with their refunds of their sales taxes also to promote the state of Louisiana where to visit and what to do while they visit our state.
Pros
Learn new languages and new cultures.
Cons
Not enough time to eat on my lunch break and most of the time short staff.
due the the building
Customer Service SSC II (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJuly 23, 2018
nothing special about work culture. location of job building was depressing. staff turnover was unsettling. staff willingness to serve their consumer, client, patient, or whatever one is called today was/is
outstanding.
Pros
staff was professional and compentant
Cons
none worth mentioning