State of Louisiana

• Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Not all Bad

The state has a lot to offer and there is room for growth depending on your department and section needs. The pay is no match to the level of work expected. You can request for a pay increase, but there is a process and then you risk not being approved.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Pay

Terrible

I worked there since June and they were ok starting out then towards the end of September they decided to kick me out for no reason. I don’t think they are worth working for.

Pros

Ok money

Cons

Terrible people

The work load is in reasonably. You don’t get paid enough for all the work you do. You can trust the boss or the employees. They would let you leave to pick up kids . But lunch everyone left together but some people could take 1 to 2 hour lunch . The rest had to be back in 30 minutes. Close early on Thursday to complete work but not enough time . Get off early on Friday’s

Pros

Hours are normal

Cons

Short lunch

Don't think they care about you...

My work day started at 6:00 a.m. every Monday and ended at 4:30 p.m. everyday. I worked 4 10 hour days. I learned about electricity and how to work with it and how to respect it because electricity doesn't care who you are, it will get you. The hardest part of the job was the heat and the cold, but hey, it is Louisiana, it gets hot. I was an employee there for 17.5 years and I failed a drug test. I took some medicine that I thought was tylenol but ended up being addrell. Lucky me, I got called for a drug test. First one I have ever failed, ever. Long story short, I am no longer there. I was let go like it was my first day.

Pros

all time rolls over

Cons

insurance is expensive

Family

Working for the State of Louisiana you a part of a family. The leave earning rate is great. No uniforms required. Job security. Great insurance benefits. Holidays and days off are super.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Adm coordinator 2

Worked a state job at a DOC facility in Louisiana and it was the worse experience ever. Definitely a plantation mentality with back stabbing dirty co workers. So blessed to be out of that environment. Not to mention I could make more money working in a fast food restaurant.

Pros

Cons

Horrible coworkers and little to no chance of advancement

It’s a good job.

It’s a good job and a nice place to work at. My experience has been pretty good so far. Ever job is what you make of it. There will always be ups and down but over it’s okay.

Medicaid Analyst

Degree required, but pay doesn't reflect it. Get ready to do call center duties. That wasn't explained in interview. No help from supervisors, they're only concerned about themselves.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Supervisors bad attitudes

More like self-service than public service

While State jobs offer wage and benefits security, there are far better work environments with comparable pay and benefits. The culture, by and large, is driving by compliance with little reward for risk nor initiative. Most of management is only concerned with how they look and not concerned with co-workers best interests. All decision making is based on what best serves the State, not the individual. Further, many departments are beset by dysfunction, mediocrity, and a very low bar of expectations. Nevertheless, while the expectations are low, evaluations tend toward the philosophy of you're unable to exceed expectations only if a consequence of favoritism.

Pros

It's a job.

Cons

While the grass is almost never greener, the sheer variety of different grasses is certainly better than this weedy pasture. Unless, of course, you're ok with gnawing at thristle.

Too unrealistic, too much unfainess, too many old ways, too much manipulation, unfair pay, but slavery work.

...a typical day at DCFS, ES is basically hard work, sometimes not knowing what needs to be done first to get the rest done. The best of it all, is helping someone in need, and they are grateful, because the organization dont really care. Leadership is horrible, too prejudice, needs to grow up, play too much, use the system to hide what they do to destroy others.

Pros

Benefits for the needy are kinda good.

Cons

Lack of leadership and training skilks

20+ years with the state in three different agencies, they are all the same

It doesn't matter which agency you work for, I've worked for three, and the same people are in them all - the lazy one's who do the absolute bare minimum to keep their job and the work-horses who actually care and want to do a good job. The work-horse get's saddled with all of the work that the lazy one's will not do. Civil service protects and rewards lazy employees while ignoring the hard workers - no matter how lazy you are or how hard you work, you are both going to get the same % raise each year.

Pros

Good retirement; nights and weekends off; paid holidays and office closures, telecommute available for some, earned annual leave and sick time

Cons

No reward for hard work, supervisor's too willing to 'kick-the-can' with problem employees

Great Job Environment

I have worked for two state offices so far. I started out as an Administrative coordinator 3 and was promoted to 4 and I later did a lateral transfer. There are options if you want to change offices because some agencies just rather hire someone that knows the job and background. The most frustrating part is finding leadership positions as not many of them become available until someone retires, which is a good thing. I highly recommend state employment.

Pros

Stability, salary, benefits, retirement

Cons

Insurance premiums increase

Very stressful work environment, a lot of unfair treatment for employees

While this job offers stability, it's hardly worth enduring the unfair treatment, lack of support, and consistent disrespect. Many in positions of authority are simply incompetent.

Pros

flexibility, stability

Cons

work enviornment, lack of support, poor leadership

Get in and move to anotherdepartment

They place an unrealistic amount of work, demands on the workers. There is no overtime, you get K time which can be denied depending on the situation. Very hard to advance, move up. You have to apply for other departments to advance. Nepotism is strong.

Pros

Constant, reliable income

Cons

Dental vision discount, unrealistic demands from workers, no time off, vacations are denied most of the time, salary is very low

Great employer

I feel a sense of purpose in what I do. The work is enjoyable, and can be interesting at times. The people are great. Good benefits. Sick and annual leave are earned quickly. I highly recommend this job.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Not a good place to work

Working for this employer has been the worst I’ve ever worked during my yrs of employment. I wouldn’t recommend anybody to this place. The work is overwhelming, you have messy coworkers, lying, sneaky as well as messy management. The turnover is unreal. So many good workers has come and gone for some reasons listed. You can’t trust Administration, HR or Management because their all in it together.

Benefits

Cons

Disorganized, Unprofessional, Overworked

it depends

honestly if you have good management you can make it. Having good management makes a huge difference. If you have a sorry supervisor that doesn't train you, they're setting you up for failure. I worked for DCFS and as a employee they don't care about you as a person even if you qualify for those services

benefits

Cons

no support, lack of wage increase

Bccy is very ignorant and unprofessional

I have NEVER seen a juvenile correctional facility that has nothing but PURE IGNORANCE from their STAFF. I see why people leave this trashy facility because even $15.63/hr can't keep loyal people over here and I don't blame them one bit. I feel sorry for the Probation Officers from all of the southeast regions that have to put their ACTUAL JOB to the side to help out at this dump.

Pros

Nothing at all

Cons

Bridge City Center For Youth and their ignorant staff

negative environment

roles and responsibilities disorganized and unclear, polices are outdated limited support from supervisors and administration, poor communication is poor frequent conflict and competition between employees.

Pros

state retirement and health benefits

Cons

workload, management

Run!

I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. While I LOVED taking care of out Veteran's the stress of this job is simply overwhelming & not worth it. There was always issues with staffing. The few workers that actually stay there are overworked. You don't feel supported by upper management who definitely out of touch with reality. It was definitely a great experience yet one I never hope to relive

Pros

The residents, LPNs, CNAs, & benefits

Cons

Management, no room for advancement, short staffing, unrealistic expectations

Unorganized

I had horrible experience working for the state no supplies the organization sucks and they lie about the pay lack of equipment for care honestly the worst place I have ever worked.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Louisiana. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare State of Louisiana with