State of Louisiana

State of Louisiana Employee Reviews

United States341 reviews

stateagencyretirementgovernmentcourtsickadministrationsupervisor

Rewarding challenge

Great work environment and wonderful co-workers. Great insurance benefits and pleasant working atmosphere. Good location. Supervisor very flexible and helpful in all areas. Overall a great job with many benefits unlike other places I’ve worked in the past.

Pros

Travel to other parishes

Cons

Very little pay

Mediocre job

No job security, too many hours, not enough pay. Having to deal with follow employees, toxic management, and severe lack of pay is soul crushing. I wish there was another way.

State of Louisiana insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Your typical small town department. Each day is different and the members are highly motivated. Administration is slow to make progress but slowly improving.

Good people toxic place

Pay is 30 percent below the national average. Takes forever to get days off. They do not accommodate or care for its employees. The clerk gives herself bonuses and leaves us workers to scrape by. The politics are messy and lots of drama.

Decent Job

It's a decent job if you are able to get the kids respect. Pay is horrible for what you have to put up with though. 3 shifts, everyone wants first shift, 2nd is the worst, 3rd is gravy

Productive and relaxed atmosphere at the same time

The hardest part is being attacked by the citizens and they don't know the whole story. But if you can get them to calm down and listen, then you've gained an advocate.

Pros

In my area, family atmosphere

Cons

short breaks, complaints--slow responses

What is the best part of working at the company?State of La was a great job . I retired in 2014. Good place to work. Great benefits and overall friendly supervisors and co workers.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Not too muchWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very nice. Helpful and courteous staffWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Busy and productive

Great Place to work

Great benefits and decent pay to work for the state. Getting the right management makes a good job a great job. Holiday pay includes all state recognized holidays. Sadly, no potential OT.

very very top heavy with supervisions that have no clue what's going on. also very racially hiring process, I was one of 3 white people

This was a horrible work environment. micro managed to the max every minute and mile traveled had to be logged. very outdated system to track and get reimbursement. the supervisors are so afraid that someone will figure out they have no idea what they are doing very paranoid. This could be a great job but the administration is a disaster

They will use you and not pay what they said they would.

The supervisors are not able to make any decisions. The final say on everything is the personal opinion of the assistant commisioners. Even if their opinions are against the law. They make the rules up as they go along. The rules don't apply to the bosses just the employees.

good benefits/mediocre pay

Limited opportunities for advancement within agency but you receive good benefits including paid vacation and sick time off, holidays and health insurance.

Productive and challenging work

State of LA is a good job as there is room for advancement, good benefits such as earned vacation time, earned sick time, health insurance benefits, life insurance and good retirement system.

Easy job

The job was very easy, the catty co- workers make the job harder than it really is. When you have co workers that want to be the supervisor & the supervisor allows it, it causes a toxic workplace environment. No structure. The pay was OK, not Bad.

I learned so much!

I learned a lot in a very short time working in HR for DCRT. My direct supervisor, the HR Manager, was supportive and helpful, as was our HR Director. The HR Supervisors as well were awesome, specifically when needed to support an investigation or lend advice on a disgruntled employee or manager. I only left because a better opportunity for me personally presented itself. The state of Louisiana as an employer as a whole has issues but it was good to me, and DCRT was especially good to me. I was looking to move out of state and obviously, that would require a new position at a different place.

You can learn a lot with just a bachelor's degree

You can start low and learn a lot in whatever your field is working for the state. The problems with working for them come as you progress and your compensation does not reflect that. Also, many agencies forced administrative services workers back into the office for no good reason, mostly for the look of it. Overall though, I learned a ton about my field and was able to use those skills to advance my career outside the state. I also had some wonderful supervisors and managers along the way.

Awesome place to work! They have all the benefits you are looking for and more! Easy going team and everyone willing to help one another! Easy easy!!!

Environment

Great environment, a little stressful at times. Fast pace and very easy to stay busy. The department felt like it was constantly being “improved”, some things need improvement but overall an enjoyable job.

Lack of Quality Management, Lack of pay and leadership

Lack of pay for the skill level required. No management responsiveness. At hiring they would not accept my prior experience, but accepted another co-worker who had experience at the SAME company. All things go to die with senior management. You have to fight for all your raises on your own. You will never receive your certifications that you are promised. Great team level coworkers for the most part, a few in the agency who aren't helpful or pleasent. Management was restructured due to huge exodus of retirees, and since then, the entire agency has been completely unmanageable, unscheduled, and it's impossible to get a true answer on anything including upcoming assignments, expectations or feedback. You can't even find a finally copy of a report you need to review to know what was actually issued to the entity you were working on most of the time. Some individuals do no work while others get to complete large loads of assignments or tasks that make less than half the pay. Even important requests never get reviewed/approved or denied. They just never answer you. New commissioner never even introduced himself to the agency workforce, and the second in chain of command doesn't even understand how retention cost versus new hiring costs work. I loved the work that I did, but current management is completely and utterly impossible to work with, have a discussion with or even give feedback about a task without it becoming a personal attack. You will make half what your federal level counterparts make to perform the same work. I recommend seeking a position in a federal -

What is the best part of working at the company?Coworkers What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Workload and management

Productive work daily.. never a dull moment

I’ve been in customer service since I ETS from the military and by far this is definitely at the top of my list. My job requires focus and the ability to retain vast amounts of information in order to assist claimants with their clams.

Pros

Holidays. Weekends off, vacation and sick time

Cons

DCFS Economic Stability is a joke...

...and a bad joke at that. I've been working here for 13 years and it is a toxic work environment, from State office all the way down to parish offices. The only thing I enjoyed over the years is helping people get a leg up who are struggling AND my co-workers. It was a little better in the beginning, but they have really ruined it by repeatedly promoting incompetent people to leadership jobs. Also, ALL responsibility for everything happening in the agency or to any client is pushed off on analysts because there is neither accountability for management to each other nor to the State legislature/ constituents.

Pros

Steady decent pay, mediocre benefits, reliable employment

Cons

Remote work only available when convenient for state office, disrespectful, intense micromanaging, ridiculous job expectations, very incompetent management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State of Louisiana. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare State of Louisiana with

• State of Louisiana
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?