State of Maine Employee Reviews

great benefits
Administrative Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEFebruary 26, 2019
Great pay , great benefits !!!!

The most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers.
I enjoyed the fact that there was an cafeteria in the building especially when it was cold and or snowing that day.
Pros
My hours of work 8-5 M-F No weekends
Cons
Lack of Cultural understanding
Serving the People of Maine
Staff Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEFebruary 19, 2019
Ok place to work. Good pay, good benefits. Government work in various Departments including Labor, Agriculture/Conservation and Forestry, Service Centers (for state employees).
Great opportunity
Bureau Director Maine Department of Agriculture (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEFebruary 9, 2019
Having worked in private sector all my life I found the inability to make changes a challenge
First time dealing with a union
Enjoyed working with the legislature
Work is always better with a competent supervisor
Office Associate II (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEJanuary 29, 2019
Some jobs are better than others and i feel it is the supervisor who makes the difference. I've had great supervisors and incompetent supervisors. The great ones made work better/easier.
Was a good place to work learned got experience in bunch of things
Bridge maintenance worker/project worker (Former Employee) –  Topsham, MEJanuary 24, 2019
The state was a great place to work no stress people was nice and the supervisors was great also did not mind going to work each day and I did a bunch of different things
Pros
Great people great job
Cons
Pay was low
Stable employment/decent benefits
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 8, 2019
I appreciated my time with the state of maine dhhs. It draws some very kind-hearted employees, and offers stable employment with regular raises. I learned to study and interpret policy, how to manage many very important tasks, and how to work with people from all walks of life in crisis. The hardest part of the job was the work load. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people.
Pros
Stable, Decent pay, And fair benefits
Cons
Workload and moral
It Was Okay
Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, MEDecember 4, 2018
Relatively easy job for my skill set, location close to where i live so easy travel to and from. Other employess are wicked nice and helpful. Great environment to work.
Contractor Staff
Project Manager/Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MENovember 30, 2018
My review is based on being contracted staff rather than a State employee. No benefits are provided for contracted staff.

State of Maine OIT has been undergoing major transitions and changes for the last few years and has been a very unstable environment.
Meat grinder for intelligent, capable people.
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MENovember 29, 2018
This place is a meat grinder for intelligent capable employees. My direct supervisor played favorites and belittled workers. You can tell a lot about the morale in an office by how people decorate their cubicle- many of the staff had nothing but staff phone directories and calendar’s to keep them company.

I was only halfway through training when I was let go for failing to “progress”. In other words, they expected trainees to be up to speed within a week or two of exstensive training on MaineCare- which has a 750 page manual.

It depends on the office, but where I worked, people quit or move to another office to avoid managers who lack empathy and behave in a passive aggressive manner. Sadly, I wanted to stay despite being brought to tears after was belittled and insulted for asking questions so I could learn the job.
Pros
Co-workers were friendly
Cons
Understaffed and unreasonable managers
Really good environment and team mates
QA Tester III (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MENovember 13, 2018
It is a good place to work, gain knowledge, experience and live. No issues with team,management. You'll be working in Agile environment in fast moving pace.
Great ppl to work with
Lead Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lewiaton maineNovember 8, 2018
Great people you work with, you have to deal with the public..poorer of the public so if you care about people keep ur heart guarded because youll be takn advantage of
Bad Management
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEOctober 24, 2018
Other than management, the job was great. I was just looking for something with more pay and advancement. There was no room for advancement. The hours were not bad.
Pros
Creat co-workers
Cons
Bad Management
Slow paced
Court Fines Screener (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEOctober 24, 2018
This a a great place to work. However there isn’t much room for advancement, and due to the Union you will not receive pay raises based on performance.
Pros
Benefits, and security
Cons
Union contracts dictate your pay, not hard work and dedication
I miss working there.
Information System Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEOctober 22, 2018
OIT provided a stable work environment. Duties are clearly defined. Mentors are available, very cooperative atmosphere. For the most part management was fair and unbiased. I left because I moved out of the area. Was not willing to continue long commute.
Pros
Good benefits, stable environment, opportunity for advancement
Cons
politics :)
n/a
Office Associate II (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEOctober 15, 2018
Over all I have a a good experience working for the State of Maine. It has only been in the last couple of years that fluctuation in staff has made for difficulties in preforming every day duties.
Do not work for OIT!!
Computer Programmer (Current Employee) –  Office of Information TechnologyOctober 10, 2018
OIT really needs to do something about their job descriptions and how they relate to the day to day tasks a person will be performing. You would think that if you're hired on as a computer programmer, you'll be devising and debugging code. After all....that's what is in the so-called job description. Right? Wrong!

As a computer programmer, I've done most everything BUT write code! Most of the coding is done by Indian contractors. The in-house stuff (garbage) that's not written or maintained by Indian contractors is very outdated and quite archaic. Most of the legacy systems do not work well with one another and requires a small army of legacy programmers to apply bubble gum and duct tape to the systems. I can see why the State is going to hosted systems as time goes on, considering the fact that these legacy applications are poorly documented and rely heavily on a bunch of old guys and their fading memories to keep things going.

Speaking of old guys with fading memories, you should see some of the managers. As with any organization, many are great. However, you have some who are such poor managers, they should have been put out to pasture long before they were in reach of retirement age.

OIT is, or has been, attempting to use Agile methodologies in their applications group. The daily standup is used by some managers as a way to ridicule their people. Some of these same managers have expected senior level programmer analysts to grovel and beg interns or lower level programmers to release code into production. Again, some of these same managers can be heard
  more... belittling and berating their own people just one row of cubicles away. Really....how does an organization expect people to be high performers when they know it's just a matter of time before their turn comes up riding the Great Barrel of Ridicule and Shame? Now I see why Indian contractors are so popular here. They have no choice but to tolerate management's BS. Otherwise, they lose their H1B sponsorship.

Getting back to having job descriptions/job titles matching reality. I'm allegedly a computer programmer. However, my day to day activities involve most anything excluding code. For the most part, my primary function is to do desktop support whenever there is an issue with one of our in-house applications. Another function I have is to FTP code changes done by outside vendors up to our test and prod servers. I often will act as a technical interface between outside contractors/vendors and our internal business units. About the most technical portion of my job involves downloading applications for end users and helping them install the application on their desktops.
Pros
Paid time off, great place for old people to come retire
Cons
No opportunities to learn, stuck in a silo with no hope for parole, demeaning managers
Management have not graduated from elementary school
Assistance (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MESeptember 26, 2018
The management have favorites and treats others horrible.
Good luck working for the state.
I would never work there again.
Enjoyed learning IF given new projects
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Fast paced job, atmosphere depends on supervisor.
Child Support Enforcement Agent (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MESeptember 19, 2018
It is a good place to work regarding benefits, paid sick and vacation time and health insurance is affordable. The management is extremely varied. The bad supervisors don't seem to get weeded out. This can make changing positions or losing your current supervisor very stressful.
Pros
fast paced and challanging
Cons
management
Fun place to work the Summer
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Saco, MESeptember 3, 2018
I enjoyed being outside all day and interacting with the visitors to the park. The job was only three months out of the year however and the pay was low, with pay raises few and far in between.
Pros
Spend your shift outside among Nature
Cons
Low pay, worked every weekend
Public service has rewards the exceed compensation
Associate Chief Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEAugust 30, 2018
Working in State government, in general, is more of a calling than a career. The mission of serving the public is a huge plus. In many ways, this vocation compensates for the chronic underfunding and capricious political dynamics.

Maintaining a viable workforce is perhaps the greatest challenge of management in State service, particularly State so far off the beaten path.
Pros
Public service
Cons
Political dynamic