State of Maryland Employee Reviews

a good place to work
Accountant supervisior (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDOctober 16, 2018
I would review the subordinates previous day work
i learned that all employees don't work at the same pace
very friendly co-workers
office was hot during the summer because of poor air condition equipment
Pros
weekends off
Cons
poor leadership
comments
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  MarylandOctober 15, 2018
I have worked contractually for 4 years and have been given no hope of becoming a full time permanent employee although my immediate supervisors want it to happen. All decisions are made through HR only and they do not know anything about me regarding work performance. Contractual employees are not given performance appraisals showing their merit.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
no advancement
Dream Job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 9, 2018
at times a day was spent in a courtroom hearing your client's hearings and other day inputting information into central database for review and meeting with clients to work on their goals.
Great Environment
Development Officer II (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDOctober 8, 2018
Laid back work environment... Work at your own pace but had to meet deadlines throughout the month. Wonderful supervisors. I would recommend the department to write a training manual.
Pros
Great Supervisor, decent pay
Cons
No paid holidays, no 401k, no special benefits
Poor Management & Bad Systems
OFFICE CLERK II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 2, 2018
Lack of professional management.
I learned to just come to work and do my job and go home, but there was a lot of work for low pay. The work that was being conducted was unecessary if the systems were updated, some of the work and frustration of recipients would be a lot better.
good benefits
Cybersecurity Analyst (RMF) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 28, 2018
Great benefits like health, retirement package,vacation. Good schedule. Flexibility of work schedule. Training provided, employees appreciated, room to grow in certain fields
You will learn a lot from working here and you have the opporunity to meet diverse people on a daily basis.
Lead Courtroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 25, 2018
My days are never typical, there is always something different happening.

The work environment is very professional, and you have to take a moment to remember that the people lives that you are effecting.
Pros
You always have to be on your toes
Cons
You never know what will happen next
Brilliance
Act as liaison between Maryland hospital CFOs (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 17, 2018
Assist finance liasons via email with their annual hospital budgets, resolve any issues that concerns adjustments and shifts in funds. I continue to learn more daily about how hospitals operate on a financial standpoint. The workplace's culture is more like America, a melting pot of highly educated people from many countries with expertise ranging from physicians to auditing. The hardest part is learning the easier way of collecting data, if that makes sense. The most enjoyable is the people and the flexibility provided.
Pros
Flexibility, comp time, benefits, stability
Cons
Constant change, if you are not open to learn new ways of operating daily this would not be a good environment
This was a State Government job. It was a very dangerous job but had excellent benefits. A typical day at work was pretty routine with no incidents.
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 16, 2018
When incidents occurred, this could be a very dangerous job. But most of the time there were no incidents and the day was pretty routine. You had to learn to be professional with all kinds of people from all kinds of different backgrounds. This was a very structured environment where you had to remain on somewhat of an alertness throughout the day. This was a branch of Law Enforcement.
Pros
Excellent Benefits. Never had a boring day at work.
Cons
Very dangerous, and unsafe work place at times. Long work weeks and hours.
im from Maryland thats where ive learned to survive and work
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  MDSeptember 12, 2018
I feel that Md has a competitive workforce that is uniquely diverse.I feel that alot if the different companies wether small business or major corperation challenges employees to advance.however the cost for living is so high that entry level jobs dont pay enough for the work load.
The best job
Pretrial Release Investigator II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 31, 2018
I enjoyed working for the State of Maryland. My pay was good, i loved my scheduled days off and work hours. I would definitely recommend this job. I stayed at this job for 5 years.
Pros
Hours, days off and pay
Cons
Not good to their employees.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MARYLANDAugust 30, 2018
Have a tendency to hire outside and give great salaries to outsiders, instead of promoting within. When they do promote within, the employees with the most experience, years are paid far lower than outsiders who are brought in making sometimes twice as much. And the employees with the experience have to train the outsiders who make a lot more money.

The state of Maryland does not treat their employees with good customer service.
Great
Casino compliance officer (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 27, 2018
The source was very helpful for me, and my my colleagues. Also I would recommend this site for future people to use. Lots of jobs to choose from this site.
Nothing but a lunch room
Contributions Specialist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  1100 N. Eutaw St Baltimore MarylandAugust 20, 2018
Standard working eight hours a day assisting other to get the job done. Answering the phone about how and what to do to correct the reports send in error. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with co-workers
Pros
flex schedules
Cons
really have to be able to deal with others
working in prison
Correctional Dietary Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MDAugust 15, 2018
It is a good place to work however there is favoritism rampant, shortage of staff so the working condition is quite dangerous. The pay and benefits are great. the stress of daily operations is a lot to endure
Pros
free lunch
Cons
locked in for 8 hrs or more
I enjoyed the work I did for the rec. Dept. In marylands state prisons.
MD (Former Employee) –  MDAugust 15, 2018
Work was fun, and I truly benefited from the experience. I learned a great deal of patience, and that everyone deserves a second chance. I would have loved to continue to work in that capacity once freed, but no one is looking for a recreation clerk. Maryland has the best recreation dept. In their prisons.
Pros
Recreation everyday
Cons
Had to deal with a variety of personalities.
State Job with Benefits
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 15, 2018
Government job with low pay but excellent health, prescription, holidays and sick plan. Great place for a recent college grad to gain experience and perhaps build on a career.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Low pay
Productive Rewarding Job
Correctional Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 10, 2018
I love working here at Maryland Correctional Institution Women. In a low morale environment due to it being a prison the staff here make coming to work enjoyable. I work currently in the case management department and the staff are easy going and very hard working group of people to work with.
Pros
Making a difference
Cons
Prison
Started my career with the Maryland State Polikce
Maryland (Former Employee) –  MarylandAugust 9, 2018
Careers with the State Police are memorable. You makes friends for life. I learned so much working here. If I could go back, I would of stayed with them instead of transferring.
I have no summary
Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 9, 2018
I worked 8 hours a day answering phones. I learned a great work ethic. I worked with some great people and I learned a lot from them. In my 33 years with the State of Maryland, I did a lot of different jobs and I enjoyed them all.