State of Maryland Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working ffor the State of Maryland.
Social Worker Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 17, 2018
I began working for the State of Maryland in 1968 - I started as a clerk, Secretary and social Worker Associate. There has always been room for advancement - whereby you could take different test and move on to another job. I enjoyed each department that I work in and I was able to learn new and different things about the agency.
My career goals were supported 100%.
Manager, Support Services (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 16, 2018
Working in the Maryland state government was my best career experience. The career provided several promotional opportunities. The professional environment helped me to develop into a productive, efficient and a dependable employee.
Ask in-depth question
Computer Networking Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 10, 2018
Difference agencies have guidelines. Make sure to ask as much questions as possible if selective for interview. Management watching you like hawks. Too much headache..
It’s all in what you put into the job
Fiscal Account Clerk Manager (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MDJuly 10, 2018
A definite secure place to work. 457 is matched with 401K funds. Room for advancement throughout the state. Bonuses for Correctional Officers that bring others aboard.
Pros
30 year retirement
Cons
Not many raises
Good work environment
Technical Support Specialist Trainee / CPC Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 10, 2018
The people in this particular office are very closely knit together. The director actually makes a detailed effort to help with employee advancement.
Management skills are not taught.
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 9, 2018
I have worked there for over 9 years, I've seen a lot of bad things happen to good people. The state does not always seem to care much about it's employees. There is a pension after 20 years but not much. No 401k match. Health coverage cost is okay.
Pros
Paid time off, definitive work schedule
Cons
Short breaks, poor working conditions (heat, cold, outside weather, etc..)
Productive workplace
Office Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 5, 2018
a typical workday is busy with data entry and file scanning. I've learned how to use AS400 mainframe. The workplace culture is family orientated. The most enjoyable part is the people
Above average benefits, below average salaries
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 2, 2018
State pay rates are below those for Federal employees and private sector employees. The State does not financially reward superior employees with higher-than-average annual raise or with a one-time bonus. State benefits are far better than at most private sector employees. State retirement is a defined-benefit plan, retirees enjoy an annual COLA. Full vesting for new hires occurs after ten years of service. The State contributes to retiree health care. For health benefits, active State employees pay lower monthly premiums, smaller co-pays, and lower annual deductibles than private sector employees. State employees enjoy 11 paid holidays, 6 paid personal days, 15 sick days, and based on length-of-service, 10 to 25 vacation days.
Pros
Excellent health and retirement benefits, excellent holiday and vacation days..
Cons
Lower pay scale than Federal government or private sector, no bonuses for superior performance.
Great Benefits
Commitment Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJune 26, 2018
I have really enjoyed working for the state of Maryland. I am looking to relocate. I have worked here for over 17 years. I have seen how the job has changed.
very relaxed
Office Secretary (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 21, 2018
a typical day would go ... I come into the office and get to work on whatever project I was assigned for that day...very relaxed .. I was an Administrative Assistant ...I scheduled meetings, answered the phone, took messages and basically kept the office running.
Slow Paced
Medical Care Program Associate II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 13, 2018
People keep the same job for 30 years and only advance if they choose to. You have to be ambitious to advance because raises are far and few in between.
no opportunity for advancment
corrections officer (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJune 9, 2018
due to lack of hiring there is no chance for promotion. when walking out of work it feel like i did nothing at all. also due to no hiring there is no chance of changing days off or shifts
Pros
stable, good benifits
Cons
no hiring, excessive ovrtime
Change in State Government
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 8, 2018
Technology driven
culture is changing to work from home based on job

I am searching for a challenge where I can use my experience, education, and entrepreneur skills.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
No cost of living
Upper management has a hard time admitting they are wrong. If you decide to leave they will try to block you from getting another job.
Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 7, 2018
The agency I work for is good but like any other it does have its draw backs. I like my job but the problem is when upper management finds out that you want to make changes to make things better or make recommendations, there comment is if you don't like it here then leave. Then if you try to leave they will try to make it difficult for you to go anywhere else. The people that you work with are good individuals .Most of the direct supervisors are good and will recommend you for a position.
Pros
Health benefits and time off. Overtime is good
Cons
If management doesn't like you, you will not get training or promoted
Good Employer
Executve Assistant (Current Employee) –  Parkton, MDJune 5, 2018
The State of Maryland, State Highway Administration, is a good employer to work for. The pay is lower than I have been used. The medical benefits are good, but the dental and vision aren't as good as previous jobs.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Salary and raises
Numerous opportunities for professional development
Social Worker II Family Services (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 4, 2018
Very supportive co-workers and ongoing opportunities to collaborate and gain useful information from other professionals. Training and staff development activities were helpful and relevant to the work being done. Overall, management was responsive and willing to provide feedback and guidance as needed and were willing to support initiatives aimed at boosting morale.
good work place
Mainframe Analyst/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  301 West Preston street, Baltimore- MD21043.May 14, 2018
Its a really good working place and good place to balance family and work, good office location and easy to access sub-way and bus. thanks- veera bolla.
Terrible
Claims Adjudication Reviewer/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, MDMay 14, 2018
The State has not hired anyone for 8 years and expects us to take on the extra work flow caused not hiring anyone. The working conditions are not positive.
State of MD
Case Manager Level II (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMay 11, 2018
The workplace is very quick paced and you must be able to multitask. You must also be able to switch priories when another case comes up or a problem.
Good benefits
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  MarylandMay 10, 2018
Good benefits but not a productive job with a lot of down time but overall good pay with excellent vacation time. Loads of overtime with some being mandatory.
Pros
Lunch provided
Cons
Weekend work