State of Michigan Employee Reviews

Found 1,081 reviews matching the search See all 1,083 reviews
Nice place to work
Caregiver/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Algonac, MINovember 6, 2018
I loved working with the family. I enjoyed getting close to the lady. It was just very satisfying and rewarding! I really enjoy working with the public and also the elderly and the family.
great place to work
UNEMPLOYMENT CLAIMS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 2, 2018
loved my job, never a dull day.meeting new people everyday. working hours usually consist. able to advance, great internships for young students or those starting careers.
Pros
not able to work from home
Cons
great pay
Department of Corrections is too stressful!
Tutor/Educator (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 2, 2018
I was an inmate of the MDOC and the jobs were scarce and very low paying.

There were not enough jobs to go around for everyone, and the pay was very low.
Pros
They trained well.
Cons
Your career length was undeterminable.
Just a number
Agent (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 31, 2018
Doesn't care about their employees, They are stepped on and used then discarded when the management achieves their goals. They are expected to do more with less,
Working with elderly people is a challenge and something new to all but its worth it care for others like u would like to be cared for.love one anothe
Heath care provider (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 29, 2018
When helping people feel better get better look better it makes me feel better.preparing & cooking food and the client's help or give advice is cool.i loved taken care of my mother when she needed it.it bought us even closer because she took care of me as a baby then child so i had no problem returning the favor.i love working with people we all are different working for the state of michigan/ DHS and my clients was great.peace love and respect
Pros
Well the parking
Cons
When someone gets real sick and has to be hospital adminded
Decent benefits, but that's all
DEPARTMENT AIDE E-8 (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MI 49509October 28, 2018
Unless you kiss you know what, you don't get any advancement. Upper management is like the govenment, we can take vacations and time off when we want but you can't. If you have sick family members, good luck trying to get time to go to the doctor or hospital with them. Years ago, was a decent place to work, but then you got people who decided they couldn't be human.
Nice Atmospher
Database Architect (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 25, 2018
My time here was very enjoyable. The work pace was amazing and the team I was on consisted of very knowledgable and experienced people. I learned a lot from them and was able share a lot of my knowledge and experience with them as well. They're an all around great place to work.
State Of Michigan
SENIOR ADVOCATE / TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 25, 2018
My experience of being a chore provider with the State of Michigan, was horrible,I was expected to do skilled patient care for minimum wage and at a scarce amount of time allotted by the system.
Opportunity to learn about a lot of various systems because of the many agencies and departments in State Government
Business Services Manager & Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 23, 2018
I worked for three different State Departments during my time in State Government. These jobs provided me an opportunity to learn various systems and corporate culture. My years at the State were highly rewarding and cherished.
Pros
Many opportunities to learn and transfer to other departments if desired.
Cons
Promotions were based on nepotism and favoritism.
Retired
CORRECTIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Oaks Correctional facility in Manistee Mi.October 23, 2018
Good pay but a lot of stress! I worked for the state for 29 years and there were a lot of changes that made it very stressful. Safety and security were pushed aside and it was all about saving money.
Produtive and relaxed place to work
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 22, 2018
Relaxed day at work.
I learned how discharged and record Liens.

The manager was great.

I didn't experience no hard part on the job.

I enjoy doing the data entry
Pros
Data Entry
Cons
Intership end
Ok
Michigan (Former Employee) –  DetroitOctober 21, 2018
I did care giver which the state paid me to do and I never got paid on time and it was ok but will I do it again no I will not because it doesn't pay enough
My review
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  warrenOctober 21, 2018
This job wasn't the best nor worst offered Mo-Fri state holidays off, however the job is determined by if you are personally liked or not, no advancement if your not telling.
Pros
mon-fri
Cons
hostile enviornment
Department Analyst (Former Employee) –  Escanaba, MIOctober 21, 2018
The job was stressful, however the staff were great to work with.
Would work here again in the future. I learned how to prioritize work, do the best I could do and go home knowing I did my best.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
High case loads
The job that we do at DHHS is a very beneficial job that services the community that we work in and near, but the pay is minimal for all that we do.
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Port Huron, MIOctober 20, 2018
A typical work day consist of processing cases along with answering the client phone calls, meeting with clients that come in to the office with questions and concerns. Management is decent, depending on whose Unit you are placed in. All of the managers operate differently and have different expectations, which make it more difficult when you switch from one Unit to the other. The culture is one that is not as it should be, which is a leadership, but it is more of a boss style, do as I say with no desire for input from the staff. The hardest part of the job is to try adhere to all of the changes that are made daily so when you think that you have met their expectations, they are changed. The most enjoyable part of the job is servicing the clients.
Pros
Servicing the community
Cons
Massive workload and trainings without heavy support from management
An environment that requires compassion, patience and zero tolerance
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 18, 2018
A typical day at work includes, filing, sorting, answering phone calls, dealing with the public, data entry, mail room activities, along with ordering stock and supplies for the office, and attend meetings.
Very laid back
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Port Huron, MIOctober 16, 2018
It was great to work. I took care of patients. Loved working with elderly people. My last patient I took care of had cancer and he passed away. I got real close to the family
Pros
No set hours
Cons
N/a
I enjoy working with my coworkers.
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 14, 2018
Management needs to be trained on working with employees. Also, state employment is very political. It is a very "top down" organization. I think if you want to make a change you have to be willing to put the work in.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
No pension
Great professional experience
Senior Nurse Consultant/Health Care Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 10, 2018
This job was very political. Workloads oftentimes too heavy. Very short deadlines. Lots of micromanagement. Office days aren't aways allowed. Learned a lot about enforcing regulations
Pros
Great travel
Cons
Too many inconsistencies with managers and director
Overall Experience
Pre-Employment Transition Counselor (Current Employee) –  Taylor, MI 48180October 10, 2018
Office moral is high, supportive supervisor, position lacks training opportunities, challenges are working with vendors on getting proper paperwork turned in on a timely schedule.
Pros
Working with schools to build programming to hep students
Cons
Lack of training for current position