State of Michigan Employee Reviews

Found 1,052 reviews matching the search See all 1,054 reviews
Spirit killing low pay run if you can
employee (Current Employee) –  MISeptember 18, 2018
Working for the sate of Michigan is bad the politicians put in their friends in high positions that don't know how to do the actual work. If they promoted from within it would be a much better place to be.
Pros
Cons
lack of decision making and decisions made on politics not real world business.
Children's Protective Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MISeptember 17, 2018
This was a rewarding a challenging positon with pros and cons. The county was very rigid and lacked flexibilty with the tracking and monitoring of staff. I am no longer and employee with the state of michigan
benefits
Cons
rigid and being on call
Difficult
CHILD WELFARE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Oakland, MISeptember 17, 2018
Good starting point, but sometimes it can be very difficult. Micromanagement can get really bad, but if you are good at your job usually you are left alone.
food service
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 17, 2018
on a typical day at work I would come in prep food sanitize cooking area serve food and clean kitchen and dining area after meals and prep for next days menu.
Pros
had more privlleges
Cons
getting burnt by fryers
I Loved My Job.
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 11, 2018
Child Care Is Something That I Love To Do Because Children Is So Amazing. And They Also Loved Me Because I'm Such A Loveable Person They Job Require Patience And Stability Love Mannered All Of These Things.
Pros
Free Toys
Cons
Patience And Love
Economic Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 10, 2018
Love my Day job with the State of Michigan. Looking for a part time job, working in the evenings and weekends only. Looking for receptionist, data entry, customer service, call center, admin type of work. Would also consider night work with UPS as well checking in packages at the airport.
Stressful, detailed oriented not enough hours in the day
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 10, 2018
Very cut throat, untrustworthy supervisors and managers. Have to be cautious. This would be a very enjoyable work environment if the checks and balances were in place.
Pros
Fexible with sick time and vacation
Cons
Never no what is going on
Fast paced and long hours.
Foster Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MISeptember 10, 2018
You work on average 50 hours per work. Its emotionally draining and had to leave your work at work. Its great working with kids but your more of a case manager than an actual social worker..
Stressful
Michigan (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 9, 2018
There is not a lot of opportunity to help influence or personally make a difference in the lives of people.
Cultural climate has changed, less. directclient services.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stressful environment
Summary of Family Independence Special placement in School District
Family Independence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 6, 2018
A typical day at work can be challenging. You are trying to meet the needs of families and children with barriers - working towards self sufficiency. My last placement was in a school environment which may it convenient for parents to seek assistance as well for their children. Working with community partners and school staff to ensure the safety, attendance and academic achievement was the most rewarding. However, with open door policy and deadlines to meet concerning the process of determining eligibility for program assistance, logging statistical outcomes, meetings and administrative duties were time consuming; each specialist worked independently/mobile. Management was only needed in case of an emergency and monthly meetings. The hardest part of the job is that you can not save nobody or help everybody; there has to be some self determination and/or motivation. Moreover, the limited resources in which being creative for getting sponsors can be time consuming also. You can build upon someone's strength and/or teach them or lead them in the right directions but they have to be willing to receive it. But what I learned the most is treat all (especially the children) with compassion and understanding because no one is exempt from life's ups and downs.
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Not enough time in a day and no overtime.
productive and fun
Home Health Aide/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MISeptember 3, 2018
Easy going and fast paced at times. I enjoy taking care of people who need help. I am friendly and curtious, and always on time. The pay could be a little better
Pros
set own schedule
Cons
low pay
Governors cronies being paid top dollar
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 3, 2018
Used to be a great environment to work in, until the recent administration. Got rid of career employees and replaced them with friends who didn't have jobs after their civil service contract expired.....creating high paying positions for them. DON'T WORK THERE.... no advancement unless you're on team crony.
Pros
Cons
Negative, petty, stressful environment
training
District Secretary (Current Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 3, 2018
Continuous training to be able to promote to better position. Questionnaires are sent out twice a year for employee opinions.
Minimal yearly raises per year.
Stressful environment with low training.
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Centreville, MISeptember 2, 2018
i spent four weeks away from my family in Detroit to train for this position. The training ended up preparing me for nothing of what the day to day work was for the position I was in. Further, 400 of the 900 dollars I was supposed to get back to pay for my living expenses was not reimbursed. The rules for how I do my job are not well explained and, when asked for assistance, people respond that you should already know what you were asking. The work itself feels pointless. I got into this field to help children and much of what I do feels counter to that. I could not recommend working this position less.
Pros
Good compensation and benefits
Cons
Poor training and work environment
flexable hours
Personal Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 30, 2018
great staff and work hours great work load, and life balance. Love working with consumers. They motivate and are full of life. I think this is a great place to work and a good start for those in medical filed.
Many options for any one with a degree
Human Resource Developer 11 - Trainer/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 29, 2018
The State of Michigan has many options and locations within the State. You can advance quickly depending on the department and how well you are equipped to prove you know your job.
Pros
Pay and Benefits far better than most jobs
Cons
Nothing worth noting
Caring for others matter
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 28, 2018
This job took place when my auntie fell ill with stage 4 cancer. Caregiving gave me the passion to learn how to asset someone that needs help. The hours where great and I enjoyed are time together this job prepared me for Autumn Wood of Livonia.
Nepotism
Motor Vehicle Operator (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 27, 2018
Nepotism, nepotism, nepotism. It does not matter what kind of degree/training you have or the experience you possess. If you don't know anyone, good luck. It's unfortunate but very true.
Pros
largest employer in michigan
Cons
only care about friends and family
Typical Day
General Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 27, 2018
Team work it's a process from the first person to the last person. Steps to be completed before it goes to the next step. Ensure that all the paper work that is process is completed correctly and in a timely manner.
Pros
safe work space
Routine work,quick paced,can be stressful at times.with no career advancment
ELIGIBILITY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Inkster, MIAugust 25, 2018
Enjoy work because it is diverse with many good people. Stressful at times.good benefits. Need some improvement ,I mean management and work environment.