State of Michigan Employee Reviews

Very productive place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 19, 2018
Very enjoyable job.
Days were very easy.
Management was easy to get along with.
Lunch breaks were nice.
A very productive environment.
Staff members always look out for each other
Assistance Payments worker
State of Michigan Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 18, 2018
The state is a good place to work, but advancement is hard to come by now. Benefits are great for health and vacation time. Haven't seen any OT in years so you work your 40 and go home.
Productive work environment.
Resident Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westland, MIJuly 18, 2018
The state of Michigan job gives a conducive working environment. There is also an opportunity to grow in the health sector. The benefit package is good.
Pros
Volunteer over time
Cons
Mandatory over time
Great job.
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  New Haven, MIJuly 18, 2018
As a state of Michigan employee you will receive benefits such as health care and dental, along with vision. Many great added benefits for those just starting a family.
Wasn't for me
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 17, 2018
When it comes to working in information technology, it was ok, but I prefer to work in the private sector, where there seemed to be more motivation and opportunity to improve and develop skills and technology solutions.
Fast-paced
STATE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIJuly 17, 2018
From the moment the door opens, you are on the move. The guidelines and rules for drivers licenses and state identification cards and title requirements, as well as testing requirements are constantly changing. So you have to stay up on the memos that are circulated. The hardest part may be not to get frustrated or get overwhelmed because of the amount of work that has to be done for each customer. You must be able to multi-task, but stay focused on the job at hand. I believe that every customer, no matter how rude, should be treated with respect and do not allow anyone to bring your mood down. There are those customers who do appreciate all that you do and just a "thank you" and a smile makes it all worth it. We are all a big family in the office and we back one another.
Pros
Great benefits
Good place yo worl
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 16, 2018
Paid training. Manuela provide with policy and procedures. Management always available
Quality and control available. Recognize excellent and service
Pros
Recognize excellent
Cons
Not able to help all that needed
Good benefits
Activity Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 14, 2018
This job had good pay and benefits, but they are downsizing and there probably won't be many positions in the future for new applicants or even for those already there.
Potentially one of the worst employers in history
Correction Officer (Current Employee) –  Ionia, MIJuly 13, 2018
Miserable working conditions, poor pay, staffing shortages, epic mismanagement and a culture of indifference combine to make this one fo the more miserable places I have ever worked.
I enjoy helping others in need
In Home Health Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Wayne, MIJuly 12, 2018
I work for a disabled lady inside her home. And the state pays me. Im her caregiver threw state of Michigan. I enjoy my job because i love to help others. I go in and bathe her get her dressed do some range of motion or anything else she needs help with. She is unable to do much due to a car accident she was in that left her paralyzed.
Pros
Im my own boss
Cons
No benifits
Disability Examiner Single (Current Employee) –  dhhsJuly 11, 2018
hello, sometimes work can be stressful but if you have time management skills you may b e able to cope with the day to day duties. It is a production position.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Caseworker
Caseworker / Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 11, 2018
The job at hand was not difficult but the technical difficulties dealing with an inadequate computer system that everyone had to constantly deal with made the atmosphere stressful since there were timelines and deadlines to be met. The oversized caseloads on each worker made things difficult as well since it made things challenging to meet the State and Federal timeline of standard of promptness. The lack of productivity didn't seem to improve because of unnecessary meetings when actual work could be processed while the computers were finally up and running but then they would shut down the entire system statewide on the last day of each month during work hours for updating which could be accomplished by paying after hours overtime to those in the IT department instead of having thousands of caseworkers unable to complete their work. These are the items that make the job challenging, not the actual business process.
Benefits
Cons
Nature of the business can be stressful and depressing
I enjoyed my career with state of Michigan very much
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 11, 2018
Through hard work and being dependable and flexible I was able to advance to a long standing professional position. Was a culture of assisting others to groe and expand their knowledge.
Pros
Benefits, job security, encoragement
Cons
Timelines
management unprofessional
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  MichiganJuly 10, 2018
Management is very unprofessional and rude. Do not know how to talk to there coworkers like humans. Talk to coworkers like inmates. Sometimes get no lunch
Pros
make your own paycheck
Cons
management
CPS Worker
Social Service Specialist P-11 (Current Employee) –  Inkster, MIJuly 9, 2018
I have my MSW and have worked for the State for two years now. My day starts at 7:30 am and can go as late as 7 pm. I attend court, case management, assessments, evaluations. The hardest part of the job is the hours and management. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with.
Pros
Good Benefit Package
Cons
Stressful
Stressful work environment
Janitor/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 5, 2018
Its a job to get if all else fails. It has a tendency to over look hard workers. It is hard to get ahead in establishing a career. And the pay is not fair wages
Pros
Cool staff
Cons
Lack of order
good opportunity, but poor management
Tax Compliance Auditor (Current Employee) –  Northern MichiganJuly 1, 2018
Love the actual job, learned many things you would never see in your life time, the direct line supervisor micro manages staff as well as the area manager.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
micro managing staff memebers
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 30, 2018
Some Departments are great to work for and with, while some almost seem dastardly. Most managers are not trained in managing people. There are no incentives to progress, and almost non-supportive of individuals who want to make things better. If you can work in stressful environments and not be affected by lower attitudes this is the place for you. For the scant Great Departments to work for, good luck finding a spot. Nobody leaves these spots.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Management for the most part.
Excellent part time job
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 28, 2018
Very easy work, i learned to be very patience with older peoples, excellent manager, no hard part of working here, Seeing my clinet smile everyday. The warmness in this clinet house is the best for me.
Pros
Relaxing time.
Cons
When my client goes to sleep on me, i enjoy her company
Fast paced
Printer Operator (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 28, 2018
Daily printing of forms and documents for various departments within the building where the print center was located.
I was responsible for all operations, ordering of supplies, deciding priority of print jobs and delivery of such jobs to various departments.