State of Michigan Employee Reviews

Found 1,142 reviews matching the search See all 1,147 reviews
Stress, enough said
Child Protective Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 25, 2019
This is the most stressful job I have ever held. There is no such thing as work/life balance. Plan on working 60 plus hours a week some of which will be without overtime pay. It is a constant struggle to stay on top of the caseload. They do not make it manageable. They give you cases in Wayne county before training is even completed. Before you have the tools necessary to complete the job (i.e. a phone or laptop).
Management only cares about numbers and not completing cases in the manner they should be completed in.
Pros
great benefits, 401K, vacation/sick time
Cons
caseload, lack of resources, constant stress, horrible work/life balance
Poor leadership
Healthcare Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Gaylord, MIMarch 22, 2019
Leadership afraid you might surpass. Mean spirited and sneaky. Is not approachable for collaboration or assistance. Reach out for help and you will find yourself in counseling for not knowing your job.
na
Home Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 22, 2019
It great to work for the state of michigan because its and 1 on with clients not stressful give clients to be in there homes. just wish they paid more but in all i like my job.
Pros
na
Cons
when i'am done working home it is job well done
Fast paced work environment with great benefits
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 22, 2019
I've worked for the stated for over 11 years now and it has been a great place to work. It's very stressful but if you are organized and motivated you will do just fine. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people.
Pros
Paid time off and great benefits
Cons
Stressful
Productive relaxed work place.
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 19, 2019
This job is something i love to do since i was a child helping my family when needed. Its fun fast paced n loving. I believe this job is for some one who loves people.
Pros
Caring for others as you would what care for you.
Cons
Theres nothing i dont like about this job.
Anti Employee Environment
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  State of MichiganMarch 18, 2019
Unfortunately both the State of Michigan itself as well as most clients are against the employees working there. Along with a computer system that does not work causing issues with client benefits this is not a place for most. Turn over in this department has become a crisis.
Pros
Fixed work schedule
Cons
Management, Computer System
State Senate
State Senator/State Rep & Leadership (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 17, 2019
Elected to the State Senate and House of Representative means that you work for The People of the Great State of Michigan. As a member of the minority party, it required that I learn to collaborate and negotiate to get legislation and appropriation goals accomplished for my constituents.
Pros
Working for The People is an honor and a privilege.
Cons
Being in the minority party
Very stable employer
Manager -13 (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MI 48071March 14, 2019
I never felt that I was at risk for being laid off or fired. They offer a lot of opportunities for advancement and career development and learning. Good place to start a career
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
For offices
Great Place to work for
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 14, 2019
Relaxed, Fun and enjoyable working with a lot of customers' orders of supervisors' instructions, following approved procedures. I recommend this employer
power/control environment
Service Specialist I (Current Employee) –  DHHS Ingham County MichiganMarch 13, 2019
Turn over rate is increasingly high at the Ingham County DHHS office. Why do people leave? The most common answer to this is management. Good workers do not just leave because of a job opportunity. They leave because those who lead them are unethical, insecure, and would rather promote themselves than assist those who under them. More and more workers are fearful of a write up or formal counseling because the office cares more about its "case count" and ISEP requirements rather than the human beings who are performing the tasks at hand.

Supervisors earn their role because of longevity and "who they know" rather than earning the position based on experience, respect, and ability to effectively lead and nurture those who are in their unit.

Further, Supervision is protected. It is rare that the worker is put first and heard. Supervisors can have numerous grievances and or harassment allegations against them and still maintain their position while those who speak out against the unjust ways are investigated or made to feel inferior/de-humanized for speaking up.
Pros
bonds with co-workers/clients, benefits, pay
Cons
unfair office practices, power/control environemnt
Management needs to learn to communicate.
Environmental Biowatch Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 6, 2019
It is hard to correct mistakes, when management does not tell you what the want. I am not a mind reader. The position I had was in the Biowatch group and it is boring, requires little though, creative action. The group was touchy, and many of the females were very sensitive and needed to be handled with kit gloves. The hardest part of the job is find work to keep busy.
Great Place to work
STOREKEEPER 7A (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 1, 2019
Good work life balance. Good benefits. Free parking in certain areas, do wish there were more advancement opportunities in my department but besides that it is a good place to work.
Good work Environment
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 27, 2019
Good work environment. Very fast paced. Joy in helping others but a lot of multi-tasking is involved. Family and people oriented but still a lot of processing workin.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Big caseloads
Very Strict
Legal Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 22, 2019
They strictly follow the employee handbook, no empathy. I am ready for a new job where I am not not constantly on guard. There is no flexibility, I need a new position where there is room to grow.
Working with kids awesome
Day care provider (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIFebruary 4, 2019
I was my own boss and I really enjoyed making my own time. I love playing with the kids I cared for. This is a great opportunity for you to learn many personality
Pros
Playing with the kids
Cons
Not enough money
ery nice place and manager to work in Michigan
Teradata Developer BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 4, 2019
very nice place and manager to work in Michigan , I was in daatwareshousing , I love to enjoy , good place, infrastructure, city and work culture, ethics , moral etc
productive
State worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Ignace, MIFebruary 4, 2019
a good paying job that was very stressful. The state of Michigan and most management good to work for. leaving to find something more that I would rather do.
Fast Paced Environment
Legal Secretary E8 (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 30, 2019
Loved working in this fast-paced environment, Enjoyed my position and the judges I worked for and with. Coworkers were friendly and helpful when and if I had questions.
Benefits
Cons
Limited Term Position
Pays well, but you will be miserable
Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJanuary 28, 2019
MDHHS train Services Specialists (Foster care & CPS) for 9 weeks. This sounds like a long time, but the training is a joke and you don't learn anything helpful. The lack of relevant training is very frustrating. Once you are out of training, you are able to get the same high caseload as workers who have been there for years. There were many situations I felt I was not prepared for what I was doing in the job.

A typical day is spent out in the field working with families or in the office documenting everything you did for the day. You are expected to have everything handed in on time while also getting a new case a day. It's the luck of the draw when it comes to cases. You could get an extreme abuse case right out of training that requires removal of children or get cases that were called in with no actual abuse going on. It's very anxiety-inducing. You are required to do on-call every other month for a few days. The policy for on-call is ridiculous. You could be out all night dealing with complaints and you are expected to come in to work at 8AM the following morning.

I always found my co-workers very helpful and understanding. My supervisor was not as helpful due to being new to the area. I feel there is a lack of communication between supervisors, managers, and the director. Policy changes are being implemented to help these things, but I don't think it is happening quick enough to keep people around.

Compensation-wise, MDHHS pays a lot more than similar jobs. With a relevant degree, I started off making $43,000 gross. On-call can also add a large sum of money.
  more... However, I do not think the money is worth it for the stress. To put it in perspective, being a Services Specialist for over a year is considered a veteran. Most people start in CPS or foster care as a stepping stone for other state jobs.  less
Pros
good benefits, time off & sick leave
Cons
extremely high turnover, unrealistic expectations, high caseload
CPS - toughest job you'll ever love
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJanuary 27, 2019
CPS is a tough job and one you need to be well suited for. It's very rewarding as well. Training is my strong suit and providing training to state employees was a joy.